RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Shooting using one hand?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BallState1984

PostPosted: 01/28/15 11:47 pm    ::: Shooting using one hand? Reply Reply with quote

I know this is a strange question, but I noticed something tonight that I never saw before. Freshman Megan Richardson, who plays at NAIA Taylor, shoots free throws with one hand. And she hits them.

Has anyone else seen this?

PostPosted: 01/29/15 7:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've seen at least one other player do it, but don't remember her name.

PostPosted: 01/29/15 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have also seen it, but like the other poster, I don't remember who it was either.

PostPosted: 01/29/15 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brianna Turner from ND kind of shoots free throws with one hand. She takes her guide hand completely off the ball before shooting.

cattekin

PostPosted: 01/29/15 1:36 pm    ::: Re: Shooting using one hand? Reply Reply with quote

BallState1984 wrote:
Has anyone else seen this?

Shaq free threw with one hand for a while. When the Lakers were desperate for him to improve his FT shooting, heaving them like a shot put was one of the unsuccessful adjustments.

GEF34

PostPosted: 01/29/15 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The more I think about this the more that name Kelley Siemon from Notre Dame keeps popping in my head. I think she used to take one hand completely off before shooting her free throws.

I do know that I have seen a player do it, but I could be completely wrong on the name, perhaps someone more familiar with Notre Dame or watching Kelley more could say if it was her or not.

Hoops9092

PostPosted: 01/29/15 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tina Charles has a unique primarily all right hand release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCWwZoosEuI

CompSci87

PostPosted: 01/29/15 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoops9092 wrote:
Tina Charles has a unique primarily all right hand release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCWwZoosEuI

Tina's shot from the video looks totally normal to me. She uses the left hand to stabilize the ball as she is raising it into position and beginning the motion, but lets it drop away as she's actually shooting, leaving the right hand to provide all of the force and guidance of the shot. I would like to see a pic or video of the player the first poster was talking about to understand how "one-handed" her shot is to be so unusual.

BallState1984

PostPosted: 01/29/15 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.sportspagemagazine.com/content/bb/wc-bb/gal-wc-bb/naia-womens-basketball-taylor-51-vssaint-francis-6.shtml?61863

There is a photo about five or six frames in showing this shot.

PostPosted: 01/29/15 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks, that is strange looking. Her left arm is all the way down as she holds the ball in her right hand getting ready to shoot.

Here's a male college player who does something similar, but left-handed, Tony Wroblicky: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/03/11/americans-tony-wroblicky-shoots-one-handed-free-throws/

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 01/30/15 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
The more I think about this the more that name Kelley Siemon from Notre Dame keeps popping in my head. I think she used to take one hand completely off before shooting her free throws.

I do know that I have seen a player do it, but I could be completely wrong on the name, perhaps someone more familiar with Notre Dame or watching Kelley more could say if it was her or not.

I don't think that it was Kelley. She is my favorite player and I don't remember her having a strange free throw motion.

She was not a good free throw shooter. Her best year was 63.5% (career was only 55%) and I have to admit that I didn't realize it was that low. But I don't remember any one handed motion.

The one game that I have on my DVR is the 2001 championship game and she didn't get to the line in that game. I probably have some on tape, but I'm not going to go looking. Smile

GEF34

PostPosted: 01/30/15 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
GEF34 wrote:

I don't think that it was Kelley. She is my favorite player and I don't remember her having a strange free throw motion.

She was not a good free throw shooter. Her best year was 63.5% (career was only 55%) and I have to admit that I didn't realize it was that low. But I don't remember any one handed motion.

The one game that I have on my DVR is the 2001 championship game and she didn't get to the line in that game. I probably have some on tape, but I'm not going to go looking. Smile

Thanks for for the reply, and taking a look.

Can you remember off hand for that team or some from Notre Dame that shot free throws with one hand? (not expecting you to look it up anywhere)

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 01/31/15 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
GEF34 wrote:

Can you remember off hand for that team or some from Notre Dame that shot free throws with one hand? (not expecting you to look it up anywhere)

Gosh, I've been thinking about this for awhile and I'm not coming up with anybody from that team with a one-handed free throw. Sorry,

GEF34

PostPosted: 01/31/15 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
GEF34 wrote:

Gosh, I've been thinking about this for awhile and I'm not coming up with anybody from that team with a one-handed free throw. Sorry,

Thanks for trying to remember and the reply.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 02/01/15 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

During the ND/WF game, they showed some clips of WF coach Jen Hoover during her playing days and she was shooting her free throw one handed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: