RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

B1G News 2014
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dinkytown

PostPosted: 01/18/15 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some notable information from the Indiana/Minnesota game so far:

Junior forward Jackie Johnson is transferring from Minnesota. She was recovering from a torn ACL and hasn't played yet this year.

Rachel Banham is leaning towards coming back for a 5th year and will announce her decision this week!

Shades

PostPosted: 01/18/15 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dinkytown wrote:
Some notable information from the Indiana/Minnesota game so far:

Junior forward Jackie Johnson is transferring from Minnesota. She was recovering from a torn ACL and hasn't played yet this year.

Rachel Banham is leaning towards coming back for a 5th year and will announce her decision this week!

Why say you're leaning and then delay an announcement?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
dinkytown

PostPosted: 01/23/15 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Banham having a news conference at 12:30 CT today to announce next years plan.

dinkytown

PostPosted: 01/23/15 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Banham is coming back to the Gophers next year!

Banham to Return for 2015-16 Season

mzonefan

PostPosted: 01/23/15 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats! Good for Minnesota and the B1G.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 01/23/15 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great news for the Gophers.

And a smart move IMO for Rachel. Though most players are "back" from an ACL within a year, it seems to me it's often a year and a half to two years before they are truly playing at the same level as they did pre-injury. If she has ambitions to play at the next level, waiting another year to enter the WNBA draft would help her chances, I think.

dinkytown

PostPosted: 01/28/15 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Freshman guard Grace Coughlin is the third Gopher to transfer.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_27410874/gophers-grace-coughlin-third-player-leave-womens-basketball

ripleydc

PostPosted: 01/28/15 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When a new coach comes in to revitalize a program, transfers are to be expected.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 01/28/15 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This could be all "changing of the guard" stuff with the new coach.

KBA lost three her first year, too: Symone Denham to Wright State and Aquashia "Peaches" Anderson to Southeastern Louisiana, mid-season, and Brenae Harris to Toledo at the end.

beknighted

PostPosted: 01/28/15 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:

Particularly in this case.

Howee

PostPosted: 01/28/15 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
When a new coach comes in to revitalize a program, transfers are to be expected.

True enough. But what makes me scratch my head is why they'd WANT to leave, after seeing their team make such big strides in one season. Do kids like this sometimes get *noodged* a bit by their new coach, who wants to make some 'room'? Just curious....

PostPosted: 01/29/15 12:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
ripleydc wrote:

True enough. But what makes me scratch my head is why they'd WANT to leave, after seeing their team make such big strides in one season. Do kids like this sometimes get *noodged* a bit by their new coach, who wants to make some 'room'? Just curious....

Strides made without their in game contributions. Of course change of coach staff, style and expectations along with all 3 having injury issues that didn't help their cause.

Rangie Bessard already moved on to Wichita St. Wish them well but I'd expect Johnson & Coughlin to move on to schools better suited to their talent level, where they might actually get on the court

PostPosted: 01/29/15 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jasmine Hines won't be evaluated for another 3 weeks, so Suzy plans to redshirt her and hopes she comes back for a 5th year.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/sports/college/msu/2015/01/29/michigan-state-womens-basketball-shutting-jasmine-hines-rest-season/22511531/

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 01/29/15 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
Jasmine Hines won't be evaluated for another 3 weeks, so Suzy plans to redshirt her and hopes she comes back for a 5th year.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/sports/college/msu/2015/01/29/michigan-state-womens-basketball-shutting-jasmine-hines-rest-season/22511531/

I think she missed the first few games of 2013-14 with a concussion as well. Probably why they're taking time evaluating her and really deciding on if continuing her career is the best thing.

If she can come back, the experience will be a boost for SUzy's crew. Kennedy Johnson, a current frosh, has been forced to play this year due to limited bodies. Addionally two frosh posts are being brought in next season; so the low post is pretty inexperienced.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 01/29/15 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:

KBA lost three her first year, too: Symone Denham to Wright State and Aquashia "Peaches" Anderson to Southeastern Louisiana, mid-season, and Brenae Harris to Toledo at the end.

I think it will be more like exchanging for a post player, particularly a power forward type. Wouldn't be surprised to see Stollings pull in a JUCO kid help anchor the post with AZB.

beknighted

PostPosted: 01/30/15 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I meant to post this when it happened, but then somehow miscounted and missed it.

Anyway, with the win over Minnesota on Sunday, C. Vivian Stringer moved into first place all time for wins in Big Ten play, passing Rene Portland, who had 176. Stringer now has 178 with last night's win over Purdue. Lisa Bluder is in third, pretty far back, so CVS should hold the record for at least a few years.

CVS also probably holds the record for the longest time between wins in Big Ten games, given the close to 20-year gap between when she coached Iowa and the time RU joined the conference.

EDITED TO SAY THIS: Some days I just can't count - CVS has 9 additional B1G games since the beginning of the season, not 9 additional B1G wins, so that means, actually, that she's one game short of Portland's record and is going for the tie in Sunday's game against Penn State, which is kind of amusing.

Last edited by beknighted on 01/30/15 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
mzonefan

PostPosted: 01/30/15 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
I meant to post this when it happened, but then somehow miscounted and missed it.

Anyway, with the win over Minnesota on Sunday, C. Vivian Stringer moved into first place all time for wins in Big Ten play, passing Rene Portland, who had 176. Stringer now has 178 with last night's win over Purdue. Lisa Bluder is in third, pretty far back, so CVS should hold the record for at least a few years.

CVS also probably holds the record for the longest time between wins in Big Ten games, given the close to 20-year gap between when she coached Iowa and the time RU joined the conference.

I was watching BTN half-time coverage last night from the late game, and they did a piece with graphics on how the first year coaches in the B1G were fairing. It was about Stringer, Frese, Stollings and Moen. I don't understand how they can continue to mention Stringer and Frese in this category. Doh! Embarassed

beknighted

PostPosted: 01/30/15 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
beknighted wrote:

I was watching BTN half-time coverage last night from the late game, and they did a piece with graphics on how the first year coaches in the B1G were fairing. It was about Stringer, Frese, Stollings and Moen. I don't understand how they can continue to mention Stringer and Frese in this category. Doh! Embarassed

I agree - I wouldn't think of either of them that way.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/30/15 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maryland has a freshman who can dunk.
http://instagram.com/p/yclTexIYiq/

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 01/30/15 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
ripleydc

PostPosted: 01/30/15 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Actually, she's a true freshman, not a RS Fr.

And, yes, obviously she can dunk!

Howee

PostPosted: 01/31/15 2:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:

EDITED TO SAY THIS: Some days I just can't count - CVS has 9 additional B1G games since the beginning of the season, not 9 additional B1G wins, so that means, actually, that she's one game short of Portland's record and is going for the tie in Sunday's game against Penn State, which is kind of amusing.

Ummm....I thought Portland had over 600 wins at Penn State, no?

PostPosted: 01/31/15 6:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
beknighted wrote:

Wins in B1G games, not wins while in the B1G. Not that it's directly relevant, but I suspect that most of Portland's total wins were pre-B1G, too.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 02/03/15 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kaplana Beach is out again. At this point - two seasons lost to ACL plus a third of a season this year - do you just graduate and move on to life after basketball?

I ask this because I think Madison Williams at MSU tried to come back one too many times. Now Suzy says things like, "We're just trying to get her to be able to walk without pain."

http://buckeyextra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2015/02/02/0202-kalpana-beach-injury.html

beknighted

PostPosted: 02/05/15 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
Howee wrote:
beknighted wrote:

Wins in B1G games, not wins while in the B1G. Not that it's directly relevant, but I suspect that most of Portland's total wins were pre-B1G, too.

And with the win against Nebraska tonight, C. Vivian Stringer is now all alone in first with the most wins by a coach in Big Ten play.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 02/06/15 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thank you CVS for knocking Rene off the top of the list!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 8 of 12

Jump to: