RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The MAC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowboxer

PostPosted: 01/21/15 9:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.toledoblade.com/UT/2015/01/21/UT-s-youth-evolves-into-contender.html

Interesting article about the youth of the MAC UT WBB team and the league and the possibly 5 horse race to the MAC WBB Championship line.

stever

PostPosted: 01/21/15 3:00 pm    ::: Mid-Major Top 25 1/20 Reply Reply with quote

http://www.collegeinsider.com/womens-mid-major-top-25.php

Bobcats up to #16

shadowboxer

PostPosted: 01/21/15 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And 3 other MACS w/votes. Wonder what the next 2-3 yrs will bring?

Joe Foss

PostPosted: 01/21/15 11:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ohio defeated Northern Illinois in Athens, 67-40. The Bobcats go to 14-3, 5-1 in the MAC. What is most surprising about the turnaround from last season's 8-21 team is that it has been accomplished with virtually the same players. Pretty impressive job by head coach Bob Boldon and staff to transform a team that had no recent history of winning into one that now plays like it expects to win every game.

Balanced scoring for Ohio tonight, including 11 on 5-5 shooting from point guard Kat Yelle, normally a distributor but who scored on twisting drives to the basket in the first half to spark the offense. Hannah Boesinger picked up much of the scoring load in the second half and finished with 13. Amanda Corral still seems to be NIU's only go-to offensive player, leading the Huskies tonight with 15.

Ohio now enters a very tough portion of its schedule, starting Saturday with a trip to Ball State. A home game on Wednesday against Akron is next, then a road trip to Central Michigan the following Saturday.

PostPosted: 01/21/15 11:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Toledo 75, Buffalo 63 in O/T. Toledo will be a seriously good team when they can make their inconsistently great offense consistent, and establish a great defense, it's absence of which is so disconcerting to those of us used to it's normally muscular defense. Am assuming this is a new tactic of Coach Cullop's because the team is so relatively young.

By the way, keep wondering if Rebkell will give midmajor members here their walking papers or assign them a separate section like the WNBA?

shadowboxer

PostPosted: 01/22/15 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.bcsn.tv/news_article/show/469281 Copy of an article via Coach Cullop posted I was uncertain I could paste-NCAA-wise.
Film and piece on Toledo's next yr's 6'3 post, McKaayla McIntyre. Includes some film from Classic in the Country, a BB tourney scouts and coaches use as a measuring stick of players abilities. Yes, Notre Dame (Toledo) won.

This is the player ESPN does not have listed and Prospect Nation has at 4 star and in low 100's in her position.

Just an OT article.

Please disregard BG's AD.

Queenie

PostPosted: 01/23/15 8:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shadowboxer wrote:
Toledo 75, Buffalo 63 in O/T. Toledo will be a seriously good team when they can make their inconsistently great offense consistent, and establish a great defense, it's absence of which is so disconcerting to those of us used to it's normally muscular defense. Am assuming this is a new tactic of Coach Cullop's because the team is so relatively young.

By the way, keep wondering if Rebkell will give midmajor members here their walking papers or assign them a separate section like the WNBA?

Why in the actual fuck would we ever do that? MORE mid-majors! ALL of the mid-majors!

(now with spelling variations)
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 01/23/15 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

Why in the actual fuck would we ever do that? MORE mid-majors! ALL of the mid-majors!

This could be the best use of the word 'actual' I have ever seen!

shadowboxer

PostPosted: 01/23/15 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That sentence had nothing to do with adding anything, midmajors, esp.

Just wondered if, as all the Big 5 Conferences assert themselves as even better and badder than before, Rebkell will continue its benign tolerance of midmajor topics or discussions, or refuse any further threads or blogs involving them after a certain date. . One possibility I raised was giving them their own Topic Heading like Area 51.

Had meant it as light commentary on a slow day;light for you, a bit heavier and more meaningful to those affiliated with midmajors. Am now regretting that I brought the topic up at all.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 01/23/15 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shadowboxer wrote:

Just wondered if, as all the Big 5 Conferences assert themselves as even better and badder than before, Rebkell will continue its benign tolerance of midmajor topics or discussions, or refuse any further threads or blogs involving them after a certain date. . One possibility I raised was giving them their own Topic Heading like Area 51.

Had meant it as light commentary on a slow day;light for you, a bit heavier and more meaningful to those affiliated with midmajors. Am now regretting that I brought the topic up at all.

I can't think of any reason why you'd consider "benign tolerance" as an active stance taken by your fellow RebKellians.

It's kind of like someone posting a comment, "I guess this isn't a big enough game to get a thread", as if they are incapable of starting their own.

Post it if you want to talk about it. If other people want to converse, they will.

in addendum
I root for a team in a "Big 5" conference (although with basketball I'm not so sure that that means as much). I also know people on coaching staffs at "mid-majors" through prior experience with them at Michigan (CMU, NKU, Youngstown, UWGB, IL ST, IA, NEB, etc.). I follow transfers who are now playing at other schools. Then there are the sisters of the current roster players who play at other schools. Lastly, there are the other teams in our conference and the other teams in the other conferences I have some interest in. It kind of ends up like six degrees of separation.

Besides, if you don't pay some attention to the whole WBB landscape, how do you know how to predict where your team will fit in to rankings, NCAA/WNIT/WBI invites and such?

Last edited by mzonefan on 01/23/15 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
beknighted

PostPosted: 01/23/15 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shadowboxer wrote:

[sarcasm]As long as the mid-major fans are polite and don't ask for anyone else to pay attention to them, they can have their little threads on this board.[/sarcasm]

Seriously, I doubt that RK management (there *is* management, right?) would ever do such a thing, and I'd hope they wouldn't. I like that there's a MAC thread, and would be happy if there were an A-10 thread, an AAC thread, etc., and certainly want to hear about the teams and players. While WCBB is a bit more P5-centric than MCBB, there still are a lot of interesting things going on outside of those conferences.

Queenie

PostPosted: 01/23/15 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shadowboxer wrote:

"Benign tolerance"? If that's honestly how you think we treat mid-majors here, then management (yes, there is management, but we try not to manage very much unless necessary) done fucked up. We talk women's college basketball here, whether it's NEC, SEC, SWAC, SoCon, Southland, Big South, Big East, Big Ten, Big XII, Big Sky, Big West, WAC, Mountain West, West Coast, Atlantic Coast, Atlantic 10, Atlantic Sun, Sun Belt, MVC, OVC, Horizon League, Summit League, Ivy League, Patriot League, America East, American, MAC, MEAC, CAA, MAAC, Pac-12, those poor lonely bastards NJIT, D-II, D-III, NAIA, NJCAA, everywhere in this here land.

I would KILL for more mid-major talk here and that's why I love you guys from the MAC. Don't stop. Don't ever stop!

shadowboxer

PostPosted: 01/23/15 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, I got the response I hoped for, but was unsure to expect. Thanks for the midmajor (whatever the hell that is), respect, and I have always hoped more fans of more universities would participate here.

Love the FIBA in addition to the WNBA, too.

I, too, see the inter and intra connectedness of all bb leagues, at all ages, and in all places. Glad to feel the support.

Maybe we are our own answer to our own question, how can we grow?

BallState1984

PostPosted: 01/24/15 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Listen to Joe. Ohio is for real. They are THAT GOOD.

Even with some chippy cheap calls against Shelbie Justice, the Bobcats was the better of the two teams. I know the calls were cheap because Justice did not come of the scum with a black eye. The Cards did not help their cause with 35% shooting and poor decision making. Ohio had three in double figures and the rest of the scoring was pretty even.

Looked like Ohio was going to win by a a skunking when Ball State went on a 16-2 run. Then it was back and forth.

Oh yes it is interesting!

PostPosted: 01/24/15 11:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hard fought game in Muncie, and a good one to watch. It also showed Kiyanna Black at her best and worst. With Ohio up 45-30 at the second half under-12 timeout, she launched and missed about five consecutive threes as Ball State came all the way back to take the lead. Then she hit a layup, a three, and a difficult contested jumper for seven quick points to give Ohio a lead that it held on to. At least she's not afraid to shoot.

I think the Cardinals' Moriah Monaco had the best performance of any MAC freshman I have seen this season. Good size and a nice touch on the three.

PostPosted: 01/25/15 7:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Combined standings after games of 1/24/15:

Ohio 6-1
Ball State 5-2
Western Michigan 5-2
Akron 5-2
Central Michigan 4-2
Toledo 4-3
Eastern Michigan 3-3
Buffalo 3-4
Northern Illinois 2-4
Bowling Green 2-5
Kent State 1-5
Miami 0-7

Kent State is getting outscored by 16.6 points in conference play, and Miami by 18.3. Both schools replaced long term head coaches in hopes of "taking the next step", but that step has been off the face off a cliff so far.

For Crystal Bradford watchers, of which I am one, her shot continued to be AWOL yesterday in a loss to Akron. 5-23, 1-5 from three. She did snag 13 boards to become the CMU career leader in rebounding.

And I forgot to mention that Ball State honored Kate Endress yesterday. For those who can remember allll the way back to 2005, she was a MAC POY who could score from anywhere, aided by a Larry Bird-esque half-smile that told opponents that she owned the court and was just letting them play on it. She showed the crowd she still had it yesterday, hitting a lay-up, free throw and 3-pointer before narrowly missing a half-court shot.

PostPosted: 01/25/15 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joe did you have a good feed or did you make the trip? If you came and did not come down to the court to say hey I will be very upset! I am not that intimidating, and in fact, I can be pretty shy!. Having the camera in hand makes me approachable!

Kate Endress absolutely belongs in the BSU Athletics HOF. Her skills aside, she was truly a scholar and an innovator. She was one of the first graduates of the Entrepreneur Discipline and has been very successful after graduation. And the fact she is a humble human being does not hurt either.

PostPosted: 01/25/15 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Horrible news from EMU: http://www.easternecho.com/article/2015/01/two-students-killed

Joe Foss

PostPosted: 01/25/15 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Horrible news from EMU: http://www.easternecho.com/article/2015/01/two-students-killed

Terrible news. My sympathy to Shannise Heady's family and teammates.

PostPosted: 01/25/15 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Condolences from the NWOH sector. EMU almost like playing BG, rivalry and distance wise.

stever

PostPosted: 01/26/15 11:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tweeted by the CMU soccer team today:

Quote:

CMU Women's Soccer @CMU_W_Soccer · 11h 11 hours ago

Today we are all Eagles 💚 Thoughts and prayers are going out to @EMUAthletics & @EMUWBB #MACfamily

Joe Foss

PostPosted: 01/28/15 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Final Ohio 72, Akron 60. The Bobcats go to 16-3, 7-1 in the MAC. They started the game off with a barrage of threes, building a 21-6 lead in the first five minutes. Things got tougher from there, as the Zips closed to 32-23 at the half and tied it at 37 in the first five minutes of the second half. But they never managed to grab the lead, and Ohio recovered from its scoring drought to pull steadily away from there.

Quiera Lampkins led Ohio with 18, followed by Kiyanna Black with 15. But I thought the player of the game was Ohio's second point guard Yamonie Jenkins. She is very quick and a good ballhandler, but has been a liability as a scorer, entering the game with a sickly 19% shooting percentage in conference play and just 1-8 from three. But today she nailed her only 3-point attempt, added a couple of tough layups, and went three of five from the line to total 10 points. She picked a good time for her best game of the year, as starter Kat Yelle hit her forehead hard when she fell in the second half and played only briefly the rest of the way. Hope she doesn't have a concussion.

By far the biggest legit crowd (1828) of the past few years tonight, helped by a couple hundred Sina King fans. She is from the nearby village of Waterford, and they must close down the town to watch her play when Akron travels to Athens. She did not disappoint, scoring 27 in the loss.

PostPosted: 01/30/15 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good story on Sina King's recovery from the blood clots that caused her to miss last season. I didn't notice any lessening of her performance as a player when she played here on Wednesday. She's the complete package on offense.

http://www.ohio.com/sports/zips/university-of-akron-basketball-blood-clot-that-could-have-killed-sina-king-brings-unexpected-rewards-1.562559?localLinksEnabled=false

PostPosted: 01/31/15 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Final Ohio 74, Central Michigan 66. Ohio head coach Bob Boldon professed to be disappointed with his players after the game, but it's probably hard to stay mad at them for long. They're now 17-3, 8-1 in the MAC, and they continue to improve. Today free throw shooting, which has been a weakness for the team all year, became a game-winning strength, as the Bobcats hit 22 of 25.

Boldon was upset that Crystal Bradford scored 29 points today, and she did look much better today than she did in Athens a couple of weeks ago when she only managed 8. However, it took her 30 shots to get her 29, and she was 0-9 from three. CMU as a team missed its first 18 shots from behind the arc and finished just 2 of 22.

Ohio does not play again until next Saturday, when they take on an improving Kent State team. The Bobcats can probably use some rest. Mariah Byard, who has keyed Ohio's defense and who leads the team in drawing charges, took some particularly hard hits in this game.

PostPosted: 01/31/15 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Northern Illinois sure did not look like a bottom feeder this afternoon in Muncie. Ball State could not or would not stop Amanda Corral and Kelly Smith and the Huskies came away with a 65-62 victory. The final score really does not indicate just how dominant Northern was the entire game. Ball State had to play catch up just get the game that close. Ball State had the opportunity to get the game to overtime when an out of bounds call was overruled into their favor, but a trey attempt from Shelby Merder was wide right.

Either parity has come to the MAC or Northern was loaded for bear. Or both.

Ball State is wearing a #32 patch in memory of Shannise Heady for the rest of the season.

Northern's Danny Pulliam was pulled from the starting lineup and given fewer minutes to protect her hurting knees. They want to get her through the rest of the MAC in one piece. Ball States very pregnant DOBO Audrey McDonald-Spencer fell on the ice yesterday and was put on precautionary rest for the next several days.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: