RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

McDonalds AA game rosters announced
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/28/15 6:37 pm    ::: McDonalds AA game rosters announced Reply Reply with quote

Was on ESPNU at 6pm today

EAST TEAM

DeJanae Boykin, F, Charles H. Flowers (Springdale, Md.) Connecticut

Taja Cole, PG, Lloyd C. Bird (Chesterfield, Va.) Louisville

Asia Durr, PG, St. Pius X Catholic (Atlanta) Louisville

Brianna Fraser, F, South Shore Victory Collegiate (Brooklyn, N.Y.) Maryland

Samantha Fuehring, F, Immaculate Conception (Montclair, N.J.) Louisville

Kiah Gillespie, F, The Capital Preparatory (Hartford, Conn.) Maryland

Marina Mabrey, G, Manasquan (Manasquan, N.J.) Notre Dame

Beatrice Mompremier, C, Miami Senior (Miami) Baylor

Taylor Murray, PG, Annapolis Area Christian (Severn, Md.) Kentucky

Arike Ogunbowale, PG, Divine Savior Holy Angels (Milwaukee, Wis.) Notre Dame

Ali Patberg, G, Columbus North (Columbus, Ind.) Notre Dame

Deja Strother, C, Inglemoor (Kenmore, Wash.) Washington

WEST TEAM

Kristine Anigwe, C, Desert Vista (Phoenix) California

Kalani Brown, C, Salmen (Slidell, La.) Baylor

Napheesa Collier, SF, Incarnate Word Academy (St. Louis, Mo.) Connecticut

Tea Cooper, PG, McEachern (Powder Springs, Ga.) Tennessee

Sophie Cunningham, G, Rock Bridge (Columbia, Mo.) Missouri

Ashley Hearn, F, Sachse (Sachse, Texas) UCLA

Lashann Higgs, G, Cedar Ridge (Round Rock, Texas) Texas

Jordan Hosey, SF, Manvel (Manvel, Texas) Texas

Kyra Lambert, PG, Samuel Clemens (Schertz, Texas) Duke

Katie Lou Samuelson, SF, Mater Dei (Santa Ana, Calif.) Connecticut

Destinee Walker, SF, Lake Highland Preparatory (Orlando, Fla.) UNC

Stephanie Watts, G, Weddington (Matthews, N.C.) UNC

ripleydc

PostPosted: 01/29/15 10:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

By schools:

3 - UConn, Louisville & ND
2 -UNC, Maryland, Baylor, Texas
1 - Duke, Kentucky, Washington, California, Tennessee, Missouri, UCLA

Pretty much all the usual suspects. The *old* Big East just keeps reloading.

Interesting, only one Lady Vols player; that seems below average. Duke only has one, but they have a Spanish super-star arriving in 2015 in addition to their one Burger girl, so they're in good shape.

sammieee

PostPosted: 01/29/15 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happy for Deja Strother! Totally underrated.

What exactly is the criteria that voters vote for? Just who they feel are the best 24 players in the class?

ClayK

PostPosted: 01/29/15 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are no criteria ...

The voters pick 20, and then Morgan Wootten, who has little background in the women's game, consults with some experts (Mike Flynn among them) and picks the last four.

You do have to vote by position, but they tell you to fudge the positions to get the best players in.

At best, it's an impossible task, because who can really say whether Deja Strother is better than Victoria Harris, say.

One odd note: Strother, from Washington, is on the East team; Kalani Brown, from Louisiana, is on the West. Both are posts, so I don't really get why.

PostPosted: 01/29/15 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
By schools:

3 - UConn, Louisville & ND
2 -UNC, Maryland, Baylor, Texas
1 - Duke, Kentucky, Washington, California, Tennessee, Missouri, UCLA

Pretty much all the usual suspects. The *old* Big East just keeps reloading.

Interesting, only one Lady Vols player; that seems below average. Duke only has one, but they have a Spanish super-star arriving in 2015 in addition to their one Burger girl, so they're in good shape.

Notre Dame next year will have nine McD AAs on the roster.

By conference:

ACC 9 (4 teams)
B12 4 (2 teams)
SEC 3 (3 teams)
AAC 3 (All UConn)
PAC 3 (3 teams)
B10 2 (Both Maryland)

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 01/29/15 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
One odd note: Strother, from Washington, is on the East team; Kalani Brown, from Louisiana, is on the West. Both are posts, so I don't really get why.

I noticed that too and was gonna ask you why, but now I won't bother.

GEF34

PostPosted: 01/29/15 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:

Interesting, only one Lady Vols player; that seems below average.

In 4 of the past 7 games there has only been 1 player who has committed to Tennessee.

And in half the games in history (7 of 14) there have been 0-1 Tennessee commits selected.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 01/29/15 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
ripleydc wrote:

In 4 of the past 7 games there has only been 1 player who has committed to Tennessee.

And in half the games in history (7 of 14) there have been 0-1 Tennessee commits selected.

Huh, that is interesting. I just assumed LVs regularly sent players to the Golden Arches game.

GEF34

PostPosted: 01/29/15 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
ripleydc wrote:

Huh, that is interesting. I just assumed LVs regularly sent players to the Golden Arches game.

I was surprised by the numbers as well when I was looking up the info. I thought it would have been a few games, not half, and I was really surprised that 2 games has no commits selected.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/29/15 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The top recruits are still concentrating in the same handful of schools. Deep parity among the 349 D1 schools is hopeless.
dfineguy

PostPosted: 01/29/15 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
ClayK wrote:

At least we will get to see Anigwe vs. Strother, a match-up in the PAC-12 for the next 4 years.

PostPosted: 01/29/15 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
The top recruits are still concentrating in the same handful of schools. Deep parity among the 349 D1 schools is hopeless.

I was told they would start flocking to SMU and Houston and UCF for the chance to play against UConn. When should I expect that tidal wave to begin? Razz

Seriously, there was more diversity last year with McD players going to Illinois, S.Carolina, FSU, OhSt. Seems to be even more concentration than usual in this class.

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 01/29/15 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
myrtle

PostPosted: 01/29/15 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
ClayK wrote:

ditto. thought that was really strange.

- Amanda Gorman
linkster

PostPosted: 01/29/15 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
ripleydc wrote:

For a couple of decades girls who dreamed of playing in a FF were lured to Tenn. That hasn't been the case for 6+ years. This year's 17 year olds were 10 or 11 the last time the LV's made it to the FF.

Once Warlick gets them back there a couple of times the McDAA's will also be back.

linkster

PostPosted: 01/29/15 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

20 players over 14 teams. How far can they spread? And why wouldn't they gravitate to the schools that either have fantastic BB facilities such as Tenn & UConn or to schools that have elite level academics?

What will increase parity is a bigger pool of elite level players. The problem is in the HS and AAU programs.

One interesting thing is that almost half of the men's McDAA's are still uncommitted.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/29/15 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

20 players over 14 teams. How far can they spread? And why wouldn't they gravitate to the schools that either have fantastic BB facilities such as Tenn & UConn or to schools that have elite level academics?

What will increase parity is a bigger pool of elite level players. The problem is in the HS and AAU programs.

One interesting thing is that almost half of the men's McDAA's are still uncommitted.

First, there are 24, not 20, players.

Second, it's not the number of schools, it's that it's the same schools all the time.

In 2013 there were eight players going to eight schools that I would not call "usual suspects". Last year there were five players going to four schools that aren't typical. This year there are only two players attending two schools other than the usual suspects. So if this is a meaningful sample at all, it would suggest the concentration is getting worse.

The 24 players don't have to be spread among 24 schools. It's ok if some schools get 2 or 3. But it would be nice if some of the players were selecting schools other than the usual dozen.

Durantula

PostPosted: 01/29/15 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tennessee has 9 McDonald's All Americans on their roster. I'm pretty sure they are going to be fine and the thing is towards the bottom of the top 24 there's not a lot of difference between someone who just makes the game and just misses out. I think Tenn has another commit who is highly ranked but just didn't make the game.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/29/15 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Tennessee has 9 McDonald's All Americans on their roster. I'm pretty sure they are going to be fine and the thing is towards the bottom of the top 24 there's not a lot of difference between someone who just makes the game and just misses out. I think Tenn has another commit who is highly ranked but just didn't make the game.

Who are the nine? I only count seven including Russell and DeShields who aren't on this year's active roster.

Next year will be 6 I think.

Durantula

PostPosted: 01/29/15 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Durantula wrote:

Who are the nine? I only count seven including Russell and DeShields who aren't on this year's active roster.

Next year will be 6 I think.

Sorry, it was 8. Jannah Tucker was not a McDonald's All American because she missed her senior year, but was considered a top 5 or top 10 recruit. Almost like the girl this year going to Nebraska. Not in the game, but basically the same caliber, an elite recruit who would be in the game if they weren't hurt.

Cierra Burdick
Diamond DeShields
Bashaara Graves
Ariel Massengale
Alexa Middleton
Jaime Nared
Jordan Reynolds
Mercedes Russell

Tenn will be fine, they lose Burdick and Massengale of the AA's and add Cooper. A lot of Tenn's top players are still young so it may just be hard to attract players when DeShields, Middleton, Nared, Russell, and Tucker all have 3 years of eligibility after this year. Thing is even with all these big names, their best player is probably Harrison who WASN'T an AA.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/29/15 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Second, it's not the number of schools, it's that it's the same schools all the time.

In 2013 there were eight players going to eight schools that I would not call "usual suspects". Last year there were five players going to four schools that aren't typical. This year there are only two players attending two schools other than the usual suspects. So if this is a meaningful sample at all, it would suggest the concentration is getting worse.

The 24 players don't have to be spread among 24 schools. It's ok if some schools get 2 or 3. But it would be nice if some of the players were selecting schools other than the usual dozen.

I wonder if they don't pick the teams by the schools the players have committed to, at least partially......like they think that will increase the viewership or something, since those schools are more likely to be in the E8/FF and it's held during that time of year.

PostPosted: 01/30/15 12:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn has 11 players on it's current roster. Only 6 were McD AA's. Pulido, Lawlor, Chong, Nurse and Ekmark were not.

ClayK

PostPosted: 01/30/15 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

I wonder if they don't pick the teams by the schools the players have committed to, at least partially......like they think that will increase the viewership or something, since those schools are more likely to be in the E8/FF and it's held during that time of year.

I don't think viewership is an issue -- the only reason they show the game is that they show the boys.

I think, however, there's a perception among voters who haven't seen all the players that if one of the top schools recruits a player, she must be pretty good -- and I think there's some truth in that. Just look at who gets drafted by the WNBA, and the correlation, though not complete, is pretty clear.

With girls especially, who mature earlier than boys, it's easier to identify exceptional talent early in high school because a lot of times what you see as a freshman is what you get. With boys, obviously, some can grow six inches or more in high school and it changes everything.

What that means is that the elite schools can hone in on prospects a lot earlier and you don't get the player who was recruited early and only by a smaller school who responds to that early recognition with loyalty.

For example, Geno Auriemma came to California to see Sabrina Ionescu as a sophomore because it was clear then she would be a top recruit -- and she is.

PostPosted: 01/30/15 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just noticed that another school missing from the game is Stanford, and on checking further it appears they have no top 40 recruits for 2015.

Stanford needs a talent infusion to keep up even in the PAC, not to mention nationally, and one 5'7" guard in two years (Wilson 2016) isn't going to cut it. Are they the likely destination for any other top 2016 recruits? If not, what's going on there?

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/30/15 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

I was told they would start flocking to SMU and Houston and UCF for the chance to play against UConn.

People actually think highly ranked recruits would go to an AAC school just so they can play against UConn? I would think the opposite mental process is more likely--that they would avoid a conference where they will have no chance of winning the conference championship or getting an NCAA auto bid.

This is even sillier than the claim I've read from UConn fanbois that the Big East Conference got better because of UConn WCBB. First of all, the Big East was a dominant men's basketball conference before UConn ever won it's first WCBB NC in 1995. Second, the Big East Conference became really good in WCBB because Notre Dame, Rutgers and West Virginia joined in 1995 and Louisville, DePaul and South Florida joined in 2005.
Durantula

PostPosted: 01/30/15 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did I count this right? Looks like only 6 of the 24 All Americans are going to college in their home state. So much for instate advantage.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: