RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coaches poll out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 12/17/14 8:18 am    ::: Coaches poll out Reply Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings/_/poll/2/week/6/seasontype/2

South Carolina still #1

Tennessee up to #12

West Virginia up to #18

California down to #23

St John's in, DePaul out

PostPosted: 12/17/14 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess the votes were cast before last night's games? Confused

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 12/17/14 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I guess the votes were cast before last night's games? Confused

Yeah, the poll actually came out yesterday afternoon

PostPosted: 12/17/14 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd like to hear the 'reasoning' from the coach who decided Notre Dame is currently the best team.

Confused

beknighted

PostPosted: 12/17/14 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
I'd like to hear the 'reasoning' from the coach who decided Notre Dame is currently the best team.

Confused

Didn't you see their free throw defense in the game against DePaul? Wink

markinct

PostPosted: 12/17/14 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's pretty ridiculous seeing as how Uconn dismantled Notre Dame and Breanna Stewart wasn't the big weapon in that game.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/17/14 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
linkster wrote:

Confused

Maybe someone was paying attention to the multiple injured players and thinks that with those players back on the team, ND is #1. Maybe they're thinking like Debbie Antonelli who tweeted after the DePaul game:

"Adversity @ndwbb facing will make 'em stronger. Findin way to win w/out Turner is huge. If you saw ND w/ Turner, you know how good will be!"

That said, if I was a voter, I'd have as my top 2, S.Car. and Texas. I think wins and losses matter more than subjective opinion which is too heavily influenced by name, reputation, last year, and all sorts of things other than what is actually happening on the court this year.

ucbart

PostPosted: 12/18/14 9:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
beknighted wrote:
linkster wrote:

Confused

Maybe someone was paying attention to the multiple injured players and thinks that with those players back on the team, ND is #1. Maybe they're thinking like Debbie Antonelli who tweeted after the DePaul game:

"Adversity @ndwbb facing will make 'em stronger. Findin way to win w/out Turner is huge. If you saw ND w/ Turner, you know how good will be!"

That said, if I was a voter, I'd have as my top 2, S.Car. and Texas. I think wins and losses matter more than subjective opinion which is too heavily influenced by name, reputation, last year, and all sorts of things other than what is actually happening on the court this year.

Man Art, you can spin, spin, spin so much that even I almost drank the gold and green kool-aid. While I think ND is very good and it sucks that Turner is injured and they will only get better with her back, there is NO WAY, in THIS weeks poll, without her and the way they have played, that ND should have received a first place vote. Period!

No, spin that and make me believe, and I will give you kudos. You are simply unbelievable.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/18/14 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
beknighted wrote:
linkster wrote:

Confused

Man Art, you can spin, spin, spin so much that even I almost drank the gold and green kool-aid. While I think ND is very good and it sucks that Turner is injured and they will only get better with her back, there is NO WAY, in THIS weeks poll, without her and the way they have played, that ND should have received a first place vote. Period!

No, spin that and make me believe, and I will give you kudos. You are simply unbelievable.

Is it that you can't read, or that you simply choose to ignore what is written?

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 12/18/14 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Maybe someone was paying attention to the multiple injured players and thinks that with those players back on the team, ND is #1.

Okay, but then...

ArtBest23 wrote:
I think wins and losses matter more than subjective opinion which is too heavily influenced by name, reputation, last year, and all sorts of things other than what is actually happening on the court this year.

Notre Dame doesn't have those players (mainly Turner). Based on your logic - voting on what is happening in present time, not if or when - they are not the #1 team and did not deserve the vote they got.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/18/14 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Each Stanford loss (this time to an unranked mid-major) makes UConn's #1 votes more questionable.

PostPosted: 12/18/14 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Each Stanford loss (this time to an unranked mid-major) makes UConn's #1 votes more questionable.

I would agree with you if UConn hadn't easily handled Notre Dame in South Bend. Of course the Irish really haven't looked so great in the 3 games since losing Brianna Turner, as the were beaten soundly by UConn, lucky to win @DePaul, and looked unimpressive in beating Michigan in South Bend. I hope Brianna comes back soon (and is healthy). It's possible that ND will hold her out until the conference season starts, as the next two games (St. Joseph's and UCLA) don't appear too daunting and ND doesn't want to rush her back.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/18/14 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
beknighted wrote:
linkster wrote:

Confused

Is it that you can't read, or that you simply choose to ignore what is written?

Art is entirely correct in this rejoinder, in my opinion. Someone asked what the "reasoning" could be for a coach to give Notre Dame a first place vote. No one knows who this voter coach is or what is actually inside his or her cerebrum.

Art responded to this largely rhetorical question by saying "maybe" it was reason A or "maybe" it was reason B, which have been articulated by others. He then said he personally rejected both those reasons and would not have given Notre Dame a first place vote.

What's Art "spinning"?
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/18/14 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ThreeBall25 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Maybe someone was paying attention to the multiple injured players and thinks that with those players back on the team, ND is #1.

Okay, but then...

ArtBest23 wrote:
I think wins and losses matter more than subjective opinion which is too heavily influenced by name, reputation, last year, and all sorts of things other than what is actually happening on the court this year.

Notre Dame doesn't have those players (mainly Turner). Based on your logic - voting on what is happening in present time, not if or when - they are not the #1 team and did not deserve the vote they got.

It's not my logic. Didn't I say "maybe someone" was thinking that AND, in the sentence that you of course omitted, said " if I was a voter, I'd have as my top 2, S.Car. and Texas"? It would provide for more rational discussion if people bothered to read what posters actually wrote rather than setting up straw men to shoot at with unfounded indignation.

People asked for an explanation of why a voter would vote that way. I offered a possible explanation, the only one I could come up with. There are no rules for how these voters can vote, so there's nothing to say they can't vote based on "how good is this team with its missing players back". Or maybe the coach has some entirely different reason for voting that way.

You can't blame it on me, I don't have a vote. You can't blame it on McGraw, she's not a voter either. Some other coach feels that way about it. Go argue with that coach.

Frankly, if you believe as you say that it has to be based entirely on "what is happening in present time" then I think the six coaches who voted for UConn are completely full of it too.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/18/14 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
pilight wrote:

I would agree with you if UConn hadn't easily handled Notre Dame in South Bend.

Personally, I don't think beating ND without Turner, without Thompson, with Wright playing on a sprained ankle, and with 5'9" Hannah Huffman and other guards playing "power" forward rebounding and defending against 6'2" and 6'3" players is all that impressive or counters the loss to Stanford. It's not remotely the same as defeating ND at full strength. ND had a total of 2 days to revamp its entire offense and defense to work around Turner's absence. It lost its best rebounder, best interior defender, and its second scoring option making them a one dimensional Jewell Loyd show. It's hardly shocking that Tuck went off or that ND lost.

BTW, McGraw said in her post-Michigan press conference that she expected Turner to be back playing for the Jan 2 game against FSU.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 12/19/14 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

markinct wrote:
That's pretty ridiculous seeing as how Uconn dismantled Notre Dame and Breanna Stewart wasn't the big weapon in that game.

So wait, you're saying "even though Stewart wasn't the big weapon in that game" while ignoring a key injury to ND? Kind of hypocritical, isn't it?

Not that I agree with ND getting a #1 either (actually, as I continually say, polls in Basketball are meaningless anyway).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: