RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

If you've seen Kelsey Mitchell, what did you think?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/19/14 12:03 pm    ::: If you've seen Kelsey Mitchell, what did you think? Reply Reply with quote

BTN is replaying last week's OhSt vs WMU game right now. First time I've seen OhSt and Mitchell this year.

It's just halftime, but Mitchell looks to me to be vary talented, but also somewhat out of control, like she's playing in an All Star game. Too many quick shots, pointless between the leg dribbles, unnecessary behind the back passes, etc for my taste. Ended with 3 assists, 5 turnovers for the game. But she can score.

Maybe McGuff thinks just letting his talented freshmen go out and play is his best chance for winning games this year, but that's not how he was trained or how he has coached in the past.

I'm impressed by Alexa Hart. She will be a real asset for OhSt for four years.

Ameryst Alston isn't shy about shooting either, that's for sure.

Will be interesting to see how they look against someone who actually plays good team defense.

bacabuck

PostPosted: 12/21/14 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Know what you mean about Kelsey's style. She played the same way in HS, high energy, volume shooter, and had little help around her. Now, however, she has Ameryst Alston, and Hart and Craft.

Kelsey hits 40% from the field and Alston hits 50%............ There are two main problems; first, those two girls must get 45 points between them to stay in games, and second, they both have to play 40 minutes because the team only dresses six girls and a walk-on.

They add two girls after the first of the year and things should get better. I honestly think McGuff is just trying to get thru to the new year with no more injuries.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/21/14 6:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bacabuck wrote:

They add two girls after the first of the year and things should get better. I honestly think McGuff is just trying to get thru to the new year with no more injuries.

Thought I read that one of the two mid-year transfers was out with an ACL injury. No?

bacabuck

PostPosted: 12/22/14 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You are right!......only Cooper left. After Ferguson got tossed, Scullion quit, and season ending injuries to Beach, Waterman, and Mitchell, I completely forgot about Holland's injury.............At some point in there I lost heart and felt they not only couldn't win a game but couldn't even field a team without volleyball "volunteers". Went through the volleyball thing in 2002 (or whenever), and it doesn't work out well.

So, I apologize for bringing bad information. As you, I was curious to see Kelsey play and see how she meshed with our other super star Alston.

Maybe next year.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 12/22/14 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I see a whole lot of talent in Mitchell from the one game I saw of her. Her FG percentages aren't very good, but that's expected when you're playing almost 40 minutes per game, and she's a freshmen. I love the way she handles the ball and the way she drives and dishes. She shoots a lot, but again, there aren't that many great players on the team right now. Also, with only six players in rotation, everyone is averaging more shots than what would be normal IMO.

bucks4now

PostPosted: 12/22/14 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are two Mitchell's. They are twins. She is lighting it up today against West Virginia. She has 32 points including 7-9 from behind toe arc with 7 minutes left.

I knew Beach was hurt but didn't know that she is out for the year. I didn't know Scullion quit either.

Wow.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/22/14 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:
There are two Mitchell's. They are twins. She is lighting it up today against West Virginia. She has 32 points including 7-9 from behind toe arc with 7 minutes left.

I knew Beach was hurt but didn't know that she is out for the year. I didn't know Scullion quit either.

Wow.

There's only one playing. The good one, Kelsey. The other is out for the year with an ACL injury.

bacabuck

PostPosted: 12/22/14 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Missed the WVA game but just saw the stats. Kelsey finished with 39 points on 67% shooting in the 96-54 blowout. Alston 26 pts on 50%, Hart 11 and Shayla Cooper 13 pts on 75% in her first game as a Buckeye.

Kelsey played only 27 minutes,....four fouls may have caused that, but I would rather see her play a little less anyway. Cooper played 24 minutes in her first game and represented well! They REALLY need her help.

I may have given up on these girls too soon! Go Bucks!

Oh yeah, Scullion did quit to work on her pre-med but was talked into playing some by coach, because of all the injuries. Beach may get back some this season but I don't expect much as she hasn't played for two years.

buckeyewoman

PostPosted: 12/22/14 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Scullion did not "quit" and is not in "pre-med." She left the team after graduating last year and being accepted to medical school. She has a year of eligibility left and was encouraged to return due to shortage of players and leadership (no seniors on the roster after only senior, Raven Ferguson, was dismissed from team). Scullion agreed and is balancing medical school studies and basketball.

Mitchell is playing well. She definitely has some freshman moments, such as trying to drive the key against taller, bigger players and getting called for charge. She occasionally takes unwise shots but she makes more than she misses. Today she shot 8 of 10 from 3 point range and at least two of hers should have been worth 4 points. I predict she will be a 2 time all American, maybe 3 time if OSU can improve as a team.

We are 8-4, played Georgia close, and beat ranked WVU. Much better than I expected after 3 preseason ACLs and dismissal of our only senior.

PostPosted: 12/22/14 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've seen her play at the USA Basketball 16U trials and she was probably the best player there. The selection committee was concerned that she shot the ball too much. There was a stretch that she hit 4 or 5 threes in a row and they told her not to shoot any more. The next possession she came down and nailed an open three and she was cut later that day. I haven't watched her play since but I believe her father is on the coaching staff at OSU.

bacabuck

PostPosted: 12/23/14 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification on Scullion. Her 12 or so minutes a game is a godsend as it gives some of these freshmen a blow.

I can't believe that there is a higher scoring backcourt in the country, after 12 games, than Kelsey @ 25.9 ppg, and Ameryst @ 21.9 ppg.

Alexa Hart was expected to be a shot blocker and IS with 52 so far, but the 11.5 ppg is a total surprise (and delight), to me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: