RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Your background and current interest as a basketball fan
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtrain34

PostPosted: 12/16/14 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I started out as a big MBB fan, probably started watching women when I played in college and socialized with members of the women's team. Later worked at Cal and got free tickets to all sports and was married to an ex-college player so wound up at the Bears womens games as well as men's.

My daughter plays D1 right now and I have no sons, so WBB is a current focus.

However, I don't buy into any of the "women play the pure game below the rim as Naismith intended, the men are spoiled brats who just stand around dunking and don't have fundamentals" crap.

Two different games, both enjoyable to watch, both fraught with cheesy recruiting practices, diva athletes, etc. Anyone who has played or coached MBB (I've done both) knows fundamentals are taught and dunks are an accomplishment, not easy to come by.

Even after my kid is done playing, I will still follow WBB and will likely never stop watching the men. Pretty hard for either gender to mess up -- as Shooter says in Hoosiers -- "the greatest game ever invented!"

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 12/26/14 11:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My big brother and I are separated by 11 years (and 3 sisters). He played for the local HS team so I've been going to basketball games since I was a little kid.

I also watched my twin sisters play that dreadful 6-player per team rover crap. By the time my closest sister played, general men's rules had been adopted.

She also played for Holyoke College.

I played HS ball and dated a player on the girls team. This was in the early 70s.

After HS I wrote a sports column for the local weekly and covered the boy's basketball team, taking /developing game pics.

Maybe a few years afterward, the school was one of the first (maybe the first, I can't remember) in the state to hire a female AD, who was also the girls basketball and softball coach. I was proud to do that interview.

So, girls/womens basketball has been in my life a long time, too.

From the mid-60s to the mid-70s the family was a big fan of Fairfield Univ. men's basketball. I had the chance to see some great players like Providence's Jimmy Walker (who led the nation in scoring in 1967), Marvin Barnes and Ernie DiGregorio as well as St. Bonaventure's Bob Lanier and Niagra's Calvin Murphy, among others.

I was an NBA fan up until the 90s. Now I probably don't watch more than 10 mins/season.

WCB is my main basketball interest although I still like and watch MCBB.

On a sidenote, the local HS girls team is the defending class state champs and has been to the last 2 finals.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: