RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Virginia Tech's top freshman recruit is already transferring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Durantula

PostPosted: 12/04/14 5:52 pm    ::: Virginia Tech's top freshman recruit is already transferring Reply Reply with quote

Man first the player at Southern Cal and now this. Va Tech's highest ranked recruit was Brielle Blaire, but maybe her ranking was off the mark because she barely played on a rebuilding team. I don't know if kids are unrealistic about playing time but I have to think the rankings play a role in their expectations for minutes but how qualified are these rankers anyways? Not exactly a lot of girls basketball scouts like there are in boys basketball and all the girls scouts peddle their own camps to make side money, so you see them rank the kids high if they go to their camps.
http://www.hokiesports.com/wbasketball/players/blaire_brielle.html

allenleavell

PostPosted: 12/05/14 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow .It bad tho for alot of freshman everywhere!!!These coaches be lying to these families about everything.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/05/14 11:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe she'd rather sit on the bench for a better team. VA Tech is horrible and doesn't look to be getting any better any time soon.

PostPosted: 12/05/14 11:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Maybe she'd rather sit on the bench for a better team. VA Tech is horrible and doesn't look to be getting any better any time soon.

I wonder what ridiculous hire they'll make for the next coach

PostPosted: 12/05/14 11:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've noticed that most of the time players who transfer never end up doing much anyway--it could be an indication they lack the commitment to see it through when times are tough. But on the other hand, if a lot of players are leaving one program in a short period, it's a real cause for worry. And of course, every case is different.

PostPosted: 12/06/14 10:36 am    ::: Re: Virginia Tech's top freshman recruit is already transfer Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Man first the player at Southern Cal and now this.

Who from USC is transferring?

IM in OC

PostPosted: 12/06/14 11:28 am    ::: Re: Virginia Tech's top freshman recruit is already transfer Reply Reply with quote

And1 wrote:
Durantula wrote:

I think the original poster means Alexis Lloyd was the prior transfer from Va. Tech, to USC. Now a second player has left Va. Tech.

Durantula

PostPosted: 12/06/14 3:14 pm    ::: Re: Virginia Tech's top freshman recruit is already transfer Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
And1 wrote:
Durantula wrote:

I think the original poster means Alexis Lloyd was the prior transfer from Va. Tech, to USC. Now a second player has left Va. Tech.

Nope I was talking about the freshman PG Chyanne Butler who it was reported that she was transferring in like November. Just how freshmen now transfer so quick maybe they get used to playing so much in high school and can't adjust to not being the best and having to sit and learn?

LegoMyEggo

PostPosted: 12/08/14 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's not just the kids, but also their parents, trainers, etc. So many of them do not want to fight when faced with adversity or a challenge. They want everything made easy and perfect. That's not real life.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 12/08/14 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Basketball players are not the only students who transfer. Starting college is a major transition that some kids do well with and others don't.

Last edited by PUmatty on 12/08/14 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
mzonefan

PostPosted: 12/08/14 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Matty, do you need a "not"?

PUmatty

PostPosted: 12/08/14 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
Matty, do you need a "not"?

I do. Thanks. Fixed it.

ball4life

PostPosted: 12/10/14 10:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nebraska's highest rated recruit is supposed to be transferring. Heard parent sent a text message to the coach. Maybe they will work it out. Think it's time for a 2014-15 transfer thread?

mzonefan

PostPosted: 12/10/14 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ball4life wrote:
Nebraska's highest rated recruit is supposed to be transferring. Heard parent sent a text message to the coach. Maybe they will work it out. Think it's time for a 2014-15 transfer thread?

According to the Journal Star, not only did Kaylee Page leave, but her sister, Lani, was released from her NLI for next year.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 12/10/14 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Methinks mentioning the parents in the statement was noteworthy.

Statement:
Nebraska women’s basketball coach Connie Yori announced Tuesday that freshman Kaylee Page has left the program.

Page, who averaged 5.6 minutes in five games for the Huskers, played four first-half minutes at Alabama Sunday. She scored the only two points of her career in 11 minutes in Nebraska’s win over Alcorn State on Nov. 16.

“We understand that young people will go through some tough times in their growth toward maturity,” Yori said. “The transition into college is often difficult for student-athletes and their parents. In our program, we encourage our student-athletes to trust the process and work hard to improve each day, and good things will happen.”

Yori said Nebraska has released Kaylee Page from her scholarship and also released her younger sister, Lanie, from her National Letter of Intent, at the Pages’ request.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 12/10/14 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:

Statement:
Nebraska women’s basketball coach Connie Yori announced Tuesday that freshman Kaylee Page has left the program.

Page, who averaged 5.6 minutes in five games for the Huskers, played four first-half minutes at Alabama Sunday. She scored the only two points of her career in 11 minutes in Nebraska’s win over Alcorn State on Nov. 16.

“We understand that young people will go through some tough times in their growth toward maturity,” Yori said. “The transition into college is often difficult for student-athletes and their parents. In our program, we encourage our student-athletes to trust the process and work hard to improve each day, and good things will happen.”

Yori said Nebraska has released Kaylee Page from her scholarship and also released her younger sister, Lanie, from her National Letter of Intent, at the Pages’ request.

I can't help but compare this to the sudden departure of Kianna Holland from Duke last season. We did not get an official announcement or statement from the coach. What we got were a series of pointed twitter posts making reference to "loyalty" and the (lack of) values of millenials. Some discussion ensued about whether these were aimed at Ohio State Asst Coach Joy Cheek (the school Kianna transferred to) or at Kianna.

All you folks who claim that we Duke fans "just complain too much," put yourself in our shoes for just a moment. This lack of official statements and juvenile twitter smackdowns have been going on for over 7 years now. And it's not getting any better. Combine that with utter failure to construct or teach offense and the coach stating her teams cannot beat elite teams due to "lack of talent" and you've got the makings of bad leadership. I seriously don't understand why any parent what let their kid come and play for this emotionally immature coach. Let alone the highest rated recruits in the country. I will add that, to this day, we the fans have received zero explanation for the sudden disappearance of Chloe Wells from the team. Senior night, they spoke about the FOUR seniors who came in together and graduate together. It really is bizarre-world here in Duke Women's BBall.

~rAf
bekcat1

PostPosted: 12/10/14 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

Statement:

I can't help but compare this to the sudden departure of Kianna Holland from Duke last season. We did not get an official announcement or statement from the coach. What we got were a series of pointed twitter posts making reference to "loyalty" and the (lack of) values of millenials. Some discussion ensued about whether these were aimed at Ohio State Asst Coach Joy Cheek (the school Kianna transferred to) or at Kianna.

All you folks who claim that we Duke fans "just complain too much," put yourself in our shoes for just a moment. This lack of official statements and juvenile twitter smackdowns have been going on for over 7 years now. And it's not getting any better. Combine that with utter failure to construct or teach offense and the coach stating her teams cannot beat elite teams due to "lack of talent" and you've got the makings of bad leadership. I seriously don't understand why any parent what let their kid come and play for this emotionally immature coach. Let alone the highest rated recruits in the country. I will add that, to this day, we the fans have received zero explanation for the sudden disappearance of Chloe Wells from the team. Senior night, they spoke about the FOUR seniors who came in together and graduate together. It really is bizarre-world here in Duke Women's BBall.

I'm curious...when is McCallie's contract up? Her behavior seems to be getting more bizarre as the years go on, at least it seems to me. Do you think her contract gets renewed or does the AD at Duke turn a blind eye to it as long as she keeps winning?

I'm not trying to be disrespectful...I would like Duke's women's basketball team if not for her. When Joy Cheek resigned as a coach at her alma mater, I thought there might just be something wrong in Denmark.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 12/10/14 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bekcat1 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

Statement:

I'm curious...when is McCallie's contract up? Her behavior seems to be getting more bizarre as the years go on, at least it seems to me. Do you think her contract gets renewed or does the AD at Duke turn a blind eye to it as long as she keeps winning?

I'm not trying to be disrespectful...I would like Duke's women's basketball team if not for her. When Joy Cheek resigned as a coach at her alma mater, I thought there might just be something wrong in Denmark.

No worries about disrespect from me. There has been something very wrong throughout McCallie's tenure at Duke. Her first action was to order the removal of any/all pictures of Coach G throughout the stadium. The only pictures of her are with the team at historic events. After assuring the returning players that she would design offense and defense to take advantage of the high talent level on the team, McCallie brought the same old Midwestern tractor offense, which remains to this day. Abby Waner, who was convinced by McCallie, took her at her word and worked to keep all players on board, including the incoming frosh and high school junior Shay Selby, who had also committed to Duke.

As bad as things were on the court, things off the court were even worse. Emotional harassment and mind games led some players to seek counseling or medication. The administration brought in a series of Coach K alums who were between jobs. Their primary purpose: to be present whenever McCallie was with a player. Really the only alum who's wanted anything to do with McCallie (besides Chelsea Gray inexplicable attachment) was Joy Cheek. And we know what she later did - becoming the third Asst Coach to leave for a lateral position. Trisha Stafford-Odom was the fourth, who went to arch rival North Carolina for a lateral position.

On the court, it's simple - Duke wins games when they have substantially more talent that the other team. When talent levels are roughly equal, Duke loses. Attendance has declined almost 20% since McCallie's arrival. And the decibel level at games has declined even more than that.

Here's what McCallie has done: 1) gotten the best recruiting classes in the program's history, 2) graduation rate 100%, 3) high winning percentage, 4) multiple conference championships before ND joined the league. Note the complete lack of appearance at even one Final Four in 8 years, and they ain't going this year. Note the repeated trouncing by UConn and Notre Dame. Note her explanation for not being able to beat elite programs is "lack of talent." Note that Duke players are picked late in the WNBA draft, but miraculously make teams and stick in the league, indicating they didn't play their best game while at Duke.

I think McCallie's contract runs through 2018. The administration is not enthusiastic about her but has no interest in buying out her contract. They really just don't care if a non revenue sport accomplishes much. They've had to fix some messes she's made (twitter nonsense, etc), but no major violations. I'm not sure if she's getting more unbalanced or just more public with her idiocy.

It's been truly awful to watch this program get destroyed. Once you get used to becoming a perennial FF contender, it's tough to accept so much less. And it's hard to like a coach you'd never let your daughter play for.

~rAf
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 12/10/14 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
bekcat1 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

Statement:

No worries about disrespect from me. There has been something very wrong throughout McCallie's tenure at Duke. Her first action was to order the removal of any/all pictures of Coach G throughout the stadium. The only pictures of her are with the team at historic events. After assuring the returning players that she would design offense and defense to take advantage of the high talent level on the team, McCallie brought the same old Midwestern tractor offense, which remains to this day. Abby Waner, who was convinced by McCallie, took her at her word and worked to keep all players on board, including the incoming frosh and high school junior Shay Selby, who had also committed to Duke.

As bad as things were on the court, things off the court were even worse. Emotional harassment and mind games led some players to seek counseling or medication. The administration brought in a series of Coach K alums who were between jobs. Their primary purpose: to be present whenever McCallie was with a player. Really the only alum who's wanted anything to do with McCallie (besides Chelsea Gray inexplicable attachment) was Joy Cheek. And we know what she later did - becoming the third Asst Coach to leave for a lateral position. Trisha Stafford-Odom was the fourth, who went to arch rival North Carolina for a lateral position.

On the court, it's simple - Duke wins games when they have substantially more talent that the other team. When talent levels are roughly equal, Duke loses. Attendance has declined almost 20% since McCallie's arrival. And the decibel level at games has declined even more than that.

Here's what McCallie has done: 1) gotten the best recruiting classes in the program's history, 2) graduation rate 100%, 3) high winning percentage, 4) multiple conference championships before ND joined the league. Note the complete lack of appearance at even one Final Four in 8 years, and they ain't going this year. Note the repeated trouncing by UConn and Notre Dame. Note her explanation for not being able to beat elite programs is "lack of talent." Note that Duke players are picked late in the WNBA draft, but miraculously make teams and stick in the league, indicating they didn't play their best game while at Duke.

I think McCallie's contract runs through 2018. The administration is not enthusiastic about her but has no interest in buying out her contract. They really just don't care if a non revenue sport accomplishes much. They've had to fix some messes she's made (twitter nonsense, etc), but no major violations. I'm not sure if she's getting more unbalanced or just more public with her idiocy.

It's been truly awful to watch this program get destroyed. Once you get used to becoming a perennial FF contender, it's tough to accept so much less. And it's hard to like a coach you'd never let your daughter play for.

Ive always thought after McCallie Took Over Duke Kinda Fell From That Championship Tier Team . Same With Tennessee And Holly . At least The Lady Vols Have Deshields Cooper And A Work In Progress Russell To Look Forward Too....

PostPosted: 12/10/14 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
bekcat1 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

Statement:

That is really horrible. I don't like Duke, but my problems have to do with something that was done to an opposing player by Duke fans during the Goestenkors era that *could* have been stopped or at least discouraged by Coach G. and was not. I have seen similar fan displays stopped/discouraged with gestures by a coach at other arenas and I really lost respect for Coach G. and Duke right then and there.

However, the kind of utterly juvenile behavior that is apparently being consistently displayed by McCallie is unconscionable in a person who is supposed to be not only an instructor of our daughters but a role model. I would certainly not allow my daughter to play for a person who treats her predecessor, her staff, and her team with such contempt. I didn't have much respect for her before I read this. I now have somwhat less than none.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: