RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Complaint against Geno re Mone Davis came from SEC
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uconnfan1

PostPosted: 12/09/14 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not sure how Long Mo'Ne's fame will last, she might make more money doing personal appearances this summer than playing AAU Basketball. I can see her being invited to numerous Major & Minor league ball parks throwing out the First Pitch. Who knows, she can probably make personal appearances during Little League events/tournaments etc.

willtalk wrote:
FS02 wrote:
Much ado about nothing.

She's 13.... there's no guarantee she'll even be good enough to play for UConn.

Actually there is no guarantee that she will even be good enough to play for any D1 program. Basketball and Baseball have entirely different skill sets. While she did say she loves basketball, loving the game and becoming elite are two different things.

ESPN had a article about her just making her varsity basketball team as a 13 year old eighth grader. It tweaked my curiosity, so I checked to see what high school she played for on MaxPreps. It's a small private school which basically plays other small private schools who are also leagueless. There were also two other eighth graders who made the varsity as well. They also had about a four minute clip of one of their games last year. Playing just for her high school will not give her even close to the competition that is required to make it to the next level. She would also have to get on a really good AAU team.

I don't think most people understand how competitive girls basketball has become. She would have a whole lot of catching up to do. Most committed girls are already playing year round basketball at her age. Playing little league would have interfered with the summer programs which girls focused on basketball would have already been involved in. Thirteen is not really that young. I know of a girl who at 13 played point guard on a nationally ranked team against top high school competition. I haven't seen any Uconn coaches camping on her front steps.

I am not saying that it's impossible or that she couldn't ever play for her dream team UConn, only that it's as FSO2 stated "too unlikely" to be concerned about. Unless, of course, she turns out to be a basketball savant or grows another foot. (That would be in reference to her height, not another appendage. lol). Just being a good athlete is not enough anymore.

Howee

PostPosted: 12/09/14 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's fun to *play* with ideas of what her future may/may not hold, but ONE thing is missing in this conversation: her DRIVE. For her to achieve what she's already done is clearly the result of already having made many sacrifices and put in a helluva lot of work to achieve her skill in one sport.

IMO, she's the kind of kid who's fully entitled to say, "I want (this or that)", because she's already demonstrated she CAN achieve what she wants. She's not all talk. I say that gives her 2 legs up (there's that extra appendage again!Razz) on most of the 'elite' kids her age: if she *wants* a basketball career, she'll have one.

How Grand might it be? Injuries, HS experience, growth, etc., will all play a factor in that. And, by the way--I wouldn't count her HS experience as secondary because it's a small private school. Elena Delle Donne went that route. It needn't be a hindrance.

It WILL be fun to watch. Cool

PostPosted: 12/09/14 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

By the way, she appeared at the National Christmas Tree Lighting, reading A Visit from St. Nicholas with the First Lady. She did a nice job.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 12/09/14 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
By the way, she appeared at the National Christmas Tree Lighting, reading A Visit from St. Nicholas with the First Lady. She did a nice job.

And yet, here in Chicago, we have the kids who actually won, and who are just as inspirational. I don't want to begrudge Davis her attention, but part of me really does.

Howee

PostPosted: 12/09/14 11:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
beknighted wrote:

And yet, here in Chicago, we have the kids who actually won, and who are just as inspirational. I don't want to begrudge Davis her attention, but part of me really does.

I'd agree....but the Chicago boys just need a better agent! I'm thinking Mone's is on speed dial. (if 'speed dial' is even still a thing.... Razz )

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: