RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Predict your conference 2014-15
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 11/02/14 10:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Penn State needed a comeback t beat IUPUI by 4. Youth and inexperience will plague them all season. I still say they finish in the bottom 3rd of the B1G.

Shades

PostPosted: 11/03/14 7:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Penn State needed a comeback t beat IUPUI by 4. Youth and inexperience will plague them all season. I still say they finish in the bottom 3rd of the B1G.

Since exhibition games don't count against the record, doesn't a lot of experimenting go on with the lineups? For instance, MIN didn't start Zahui B in their game. I'm not sure I'd put a ton of faith in exhibition results.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ajdawg7

PostPosted: 11/11/14 11:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
myrtle wrote:
I really have no idea but think a healthy OSU could be really dangerous this year - shout out to what Rueck has accomplished.

No disrespect to Rueck and what he's done in Corvallis, because it really is very substantial, but my question: who has OSU beaten? What was their biggest victory last season?

Looking at RPI, Oregon State's most impressive win in 2013-14 was at home against #33 ASU. Its best road victory was at #56 Wazzu. Oregon State went 2-7 in its games against teams that made the NCAA Tournament last year. None of which is to say that Oregon State *won't* be conference champions this year. Just to say that I gotta see at least one marquee victory before I hand 'em a scepter.

Don't disagree, but they made monumental strides last year and another step forward is not outside the realm of consideration.

Here's my take

1. Cal
2. Stanford
3. OSU
4. Washington
5. ASU
6. UCLA
7. USC
8. Oregon
9. Washington State
10. Colorado
11. Utah
12. Arizona

I hate to say it, but I think this may be Cal's year. Tara & co may prove me wrong but there's a lot of transition on the Farm and Cal is IMO best positioned to take advantage. OSU with their wave upon wave of size and strong guard play is also a team to be feared.

Yes, I'm a UW fan, but I think the Huskies are not getting due credit for the run of 20-win seasons and the strong chance they take another step forward this season. For the first time in years, the Huskies have some depth and a decent post rotation. Katie Collier (who was a McDonald's All-American) is healthy and will take a step forward on the front line along with Osahor and free Walton to play a bit more facing the hoop and on the wing. Find me a better guard combo in the conference than Davis and Plum.

No disrespect to UCLA and a very, very talented freshman class, but they are freshmen and growing pains can be expected.

Harberts is a huge loss for SC and despite a strong class, a step back is likely this season.

Oregon, even without Chrishae Rowe will be a much tougher out than in previous years given that they will actually play defense unlike in years past.

WSU is a tough call, but I learned long ago that Daugherty-coached teams rarely exceed expectations, and much more often disappoint (not to mention half the roster being freshman).

John Wooden
IM in OC

PostPosted: 11/12/14 4:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ajdawg7 wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
myrtle wrote:
I really have no idea but think a healthy OSU could be really dangerous this year - shout out to what Rueck has accomplished.

No disrespect to Rueck and what he's done in Corvallis, because it really is very substantial, but my question: who has OSU beaten? What was their biggest victory last season?

Looking at RPI, Oregon State's most impressive win in 2013-14 was at home against #33 ASU. Its best road victory was at #56 Wazzu. Oregon State went 2-7 in its games against teams that made the NCAA Tournament last year. None of which is to say that Oregon State *won't* be conference champions this year. Just to say that I gotta see at least one marquee victory before I hand 'em a scepter.

Don't disagree, but they made monumental strides last year and another step forward is not outside the realm of consideration.

Here's my take

1. Cal
2. Stanford
3. OSU
4. Washington
5. ASU
6. UCLA
7. USC
8. Oregon
9. Washington State
10. Colorado
11. Utah
12. Arizona

I hate to say it, but I think this may be Cal's year. Tara & co may prove me wrong but there's a lot of transition on the Farm and Cal is IMO best positioned to take advantage. OSU with their wave upon wave of size and strong guard play is also a team to be feared.

Yes, I'm a UW fan, but I think the Huskies are not getting due credit for the run of 20-win seasons and the strong chance they take another step forward this season. For the first time in years, the Huskies have some depth and a decent post rotation. Katie Collier (who was a McDonald's All-American) is healthy and will take a step forward on the front line along with Osahor and free Walton to play a bit more facing the hoop and on the wing. Find me a better guard combo in the conference than Davis and Plum.

No disrespect to UCLA and a very, very talented freshman class, but they are freshmen and growing pains can be expected.

Harberts is a huge loss for SC and despite a strong class, a step back is likely this season.

Oregon, even without Chrishae Rowe will be a much tougher out than in previous years given that they will actually play defense unlike in years past.

WSU is a tough call, but I learned long ago that Daugherty-coached teams rarely exceed expectations, and much more often disappoint (not to mention half the roster being freshman).

Just curious, you feel it may be Cals year but you dont say why Cal is improved to take over, just that everyone else, besides OSU, will have changes or losses to the roster. I think Cal is a good team, but dont you think there are major questions on their roster?

IM in OC

PostPosted: 11/12/14 4:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

double post......oops

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/12/14 7:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oregon now has a coach who wants to play defense; that doesn't necessarily mean they will play defense, or at least not effectively.

rabidrabbit

PostPosted: 11/12/14 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:

IUPUI is likely #2 in the Summit League, a D-I mid-major. Can a D-I play another D-I as an exhibition?

Note that IUPUI is in the same conference and handed the only conference loss, to South Dakota St, which last year beat Penn St. OOC.

PostPosted: 11/12/14 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

rabidrabbit wrote:

IUPUI is likely #2 in the Summit League, a D-I mid-major. Can a D-I play another D-I as an exhibition?

Note that IUPUI is in the same conference and handed the only conference loss, to South Dakota St, which last year beat Penn St. OOC.

I believe you can play them in a "scrimmage" where stats aren't supposed to be kept and fans aren't allowed to attend.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/12/14 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

rabidrabbit wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:

Wrong IUP. They beat Indiana Univ of Pennsylvania, not Indiana-Purdue Indianapolis.

The IUP Crimson Hawks play in the Division II Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference.

ajdawg7

PostPosted: 11/14/14 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
ajdawg7 wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Here's my take

1. Cal
2. Stanford
3. OSU
4. Washington
5. ASU
6. UCLA
7. USC
8. Oregon
9. Washington State
10. Colorado
11. Utah
12. Arizona

Just curious, you feel it may be Cals year but you dont say why Cal is improved to take over, just that everyone else, besides OSU, will have changes or losses to the roster. I think Cal is a good team, but dont you think there are major questions on their roster?

The roster is short to be sure, and my positioning Cal on top is based on assumption of staying healthy. The combo of Boyd and Gray can take them a long way if they get solid contributions from the freshmen.

If Boyd (or to a lesser extent Gray) goes down for any spell, they're in deep trouble.

It's less an endorsement of Cal and more a wait and see on Stanford who with a big shift on the roster (aka no Chiney) and changing the system is in more flux than any time in my memory.

John Wooden
ajdawg7

PostPosted: 11/14/14 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
ajdawg7 wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Here's my take

1. Cal
2. Stanford
3. OSU
4. Washington
5. ASU
6. UCLA
7. USC
8. Oregon
9. Washington State
10. Colorado
11. Utah
12. Arizona

The roster is short to be sure, and my positioning Cal on top is based on assumption of staying healthy. The combo of Boyd and Gray can take them a long way if they get solid contributions from the freshmen.

If Boyd (or to a lesser extent Gray) goes down for any spell, they're in deep trouble.

It's less an endorsement of Cal and more a wait and see on Stanford who with a big shift on the roster (aka no Chiney) and changing the system is in more flux than any time in my memory.

John Wooden
mzonefan

PostPosted: 12/05/14 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't initially contribute to this thread (I think I have some kind of a superstition about projecting "my" team's finish), but the B1G looks a lot different from what I expected already just three weeks into the season.

Nebraska appears to be the star of the league.
Maryland isn't as strong as the voters in the B1G poll expected.
Rutgers has offense! That could move them way up.
Michigan State is about as expected. I was surprised at close game vs. GT.
Iowa? Strong but maybe not top 3.
Minnesota's a bit Hekyl and Jekyl.
Northwestern, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan are all having strong pre-seasons - reserving opinion until in the regular B1G mix.
Ohio State? Hard to tell with the injuries and short bench if they survive.
Purdue is just .500. Embarassed
Penn State is drowning in the basement with Wisconsin.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: