RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Anyone know the record for fewest assists in a Div I WCBB gm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/30/14 10:19 pm    ::: Anyone know the record for fewest assists in a Div I WCBB gm Reply Reply with quote

Just curious if anyone knows the record for fewest assists in a Div I WCBB game.

Tenn had a total of three tonight. Could that be a record? Has anyone ever had 0, 1 or 2 for an entire game?

IM in OC

PostPosted: 11/30/14 11:49 pm    ::: Re: Anyone know the record for fewest assists in a Div I WCB Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Just curious if anyone knows the record for fewest assists in a Div I WCBB game.

Tenn had a total of three tonight. Could that be a record? Has anyone ever had 0, 1 or 2 for an entire game?

Not sure but I would guess it is zero.

This season the lowest is 2, by Towson. It was in yesterdays loss to Lasalle.

3 assists has been done 18 times, so far this season. Besides Tennessee, LSU also had 3 in their loss UALR. Also Georgetown and Cinn had 3.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/01/14 12:06 am    ::: Re: Anyone know the record for fewest assists in a Div I WCB Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

3 assists has been done 18 times, so far this season. Besides Tennessee, LSU also had 3 in their loss UALR. Also Georgetown and Cinn had 3.

Wow. Thanks. That really surprised me how many times that has happened just this year. That seems so shockingly low that I would expect it to be extremely rare, I guess it's not.

How many of those 18 teams won their game?

IM in OC

PostPosted: 12/01/14 1:03 am    ::: Re: Anyone know the record for fewest assists in a Div I WCB Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
IM in OC wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Wow. Thanks. That really surprised me how many times that has happened just this year. That seems so shockingly low that I would expect it to be extremely rare, I guess it's not.

How many of those 18 teams won their game?

3 of the 18 games, with 3 assists, were winning efforts.

Gardner Webb defeated Wofford
Furman defeated Hartford
McNee State defeated a Non D1 team

By the way, last season there were 4 games with only 1 assist. Amazingly one of those games was a winning effort.
Grambling State beat Mississippi Valley State 67-59

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/01/14 1:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Have you found a zero assists effort yet?

Sorry, but I'm really surprised and fascinated by this info. Thanks very much for providing it.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/01/14 1:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The official record book lists the record for most assists in a game (43) but not the fewest.

PostPosted: 12/01/14 2:01 am    ::: The Record is Zero Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Have you found a zero assists effort yet?

Sorry, but I'm really surprised and fascinated by this info. Thanks very much for providing it.

You can google something like:

ncaa "women's basketball" record "fewest assists"

and depending on how persistent you are in digging thru the hundreds of results, you can probably find several zero assist games. One example would be this page which shows that Miami recorded zero assists at Illinois on 12/14/85 (from the first season when assists became an official stat):

http://www.hurricanesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=28700&ATCLID=205642613

By the way, Miami lost that game 73-47.

Eventually I found that New Mexico's record was 1 assist, but if you keep searching you can probably find some references to more zero assist games.

I also am fascinated by records for futility and am disappointed that you cannot find such records for NCAA women's basketball as you could for major league baseball. I personally witnessed a tie of the record for fewest points for both teams in a half (UCLA 14, Cal 8 in the first half) back in 2010. And just a couple of days ago I checked in on a webcast where UC Santa Barbara didn't score its first point in the second half until the 7:01 mark. I knew that couldn't be the record, but was frustrated that I couldn't find out the exact record.

Phil

PostPosted: 12/01/14 9:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kudos to those who dug up relevant data, especially, Iminn OC. I saw the number, and wondered myself.

My guess is that it is a bit more common than we might expect. Carryong this speculation on, if there are more than a handful, it may explain why the NCAA doesn't keep it in thr record books. They have some recoreds where there is a tie but they may not want to bother if tehre is a fairly long list.

Regardimg time to first possion, that's fascinating aqs well, but requires a play-byplay with a time stamp. Fairly common today, but do have all teams been keeping this stat for tears? My guess is no, and even if yes, they may not file this into with the ncaa.

Phil

PostPosted: 12/01/14 9:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One more thing; while there may be a number of examples of teams with fewer than 3 assists, I bet there aren't many ranked teams with that "distinction". That has the chance of being a record, or at least on the short list.

IM in OC

PostPosted: 12/01/14 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Zero assists occurred twice in the 2012/13 season, the most recent games I could find.

On 11/20/12 Saint Bonaventure lost to Fairfield 49-52.
The Bonnies were 18 for 57 in that game.

On 12/29/12 Grambling State lost to Nebraska 39-84
The Lady Tigers were 15 for 53 in that game.

By the way going back to this season, Mercer scored 66 points in a loss to Miss. St. This is the most points I could find with 3, or less, assists. This is vs D1 opponents
McNeese State scored 79 points vs a Non D1 opponent with 3 assists.

beknighted

PostPosted: 12/01/14 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This kind of thing is why I love this place.

ClayK

PostPosted: 12/01/14 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A couple points:

1) Sometimes, if one of the stat crew members isn't there, they have to shortchange keeping a particular stat -- and usually it's assists, which are less important to coaches than turnovers and rebounds. (At the California state championships, they have two guys doing the stats, and they barely even bother to keep assists, which is why those totals are so low.)

2) The standard for an assist is so nebulous as to be almost invisible sometimes -- and it varies wildly from place to place. They did a study in the NBA, and found that particular stat crews were much more likely to credit assists than others.

PostPosted: 12/01/14 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
This kind of thing is why I love this place.

This!

IM in OC

PostPosted: 12/31/14 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just an update. Through December 30th there are still no teams without an assist. However, two teams now have one assist.

On December 9th NJIT lost to Hofstra 62-47
NJIT shot 16 for 52 or 31% with 1 assist in the loss.

On December 30th IUPUI lost to Northern Kentucky 57-43.
IUPUI shot 15 for 55 or 27% with 1 assist in the loss.

There are now 11 games with a team recording only two assists.
Stanford is the most well known, or ranked team, to do it in the loss to Tennessee.
LIU is the only team to win a game this season with only two assists. They beat the above mentioned NJIT 57-48 on 20 for 70 shooting, or 29%.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not related to assists but when I was going through different categories I noticed one incredible stat for a team that lost the game.
Utah State lost to Sacramento State 102-92, on 12/19/14.
In this game Utah State shot 41 for 58, or 71%.
Sacramento State shot 35 for 88 or 40%. However, of those 35 shots 20 were from outside the arc. Utah State was 0 for 3 from outside the arc.

So far this season the next highest loss, with a high shooting %, is Vanderbilt's loss to ASU at 61%.

Last years high Shooting % loss was North Dakota losing to Sacramento State 110-104 while shooting 63.2%.

In 2012-13 UNLV lost to Arizona 83-82 and shot 63.5% in the loss.

In 2011-12 Iowa had the highest shooting % with a loss to Mississippi Valley State 86-80 with a 58.9%

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 01/01/15 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Awesome thread. Thanks!

PostPosted: 01/07/15 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
Just an update. Through December 30th there are still no teams without an assist. However, two teams now have one assist.

Stanford is the most well known, or ranked team, to do it in the loss to Tennessee.
LIU is the only team to win a game this season with only two assists. They beat the above mentioned NJIT 57-48 on 20 for 70 shooting, or 29%.

Lets add another team with only one assist(zero assists is going to be a rarity)
In the Mid American Conference, Eastern Michigan lost, in OT, to Northern Illinois 54-48.
The Eagles had 1 assist on 17 for 68 shooting(25%). The game was played this past Saturday.

There are still 11 games with a team with only 2 assists.

IM in OC

PostPosted: 03/08/15 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
IM in OC wrote:

Lets add another team with only one assist(zero assists is going to be a rarity)
In the Mid American Conference, Eastern Michigan lost, in OT, to Northern Illinois 54-48.
The Eagles had 1 assist on 17 for 68 shooting(25%). The game was played this past Saturday.

There are still 11 games with a team with only 2 assists.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
While still waiting for a team with zero assists we get to add another team with only one assist.

The Columbia Lions had only 1 assist in yesterdays game vs the Princeton Tigers.
Columbia had 1 assist on 12 for 36 shooting.

So far we have 4 teams with only 1 assist in a D1 game for the 14/15 season.

NOTE: For those looking at the stats in wbbstate.com, that site has three incorrect totals for assists. They have three partial scores listed as finals thus showing two of those games as 1 assist games and one of those games as a 0 assist game.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: