RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Recruiting need going forward
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 11/25/14 7:51 am    ::: Recruiting need going forward Reply Reply with quote

Now that the early signing period for the class of 2015 is done (keeping in mind there are still many spots still opened to be filled by 2015s) what does your team need to look for in recruiting the next class (looking at who is graduating, who is redshirting, etc.).

ladydawgs96

PostPosted: 11/25/14 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Georgia- a point guard or two or three. This has been a team weakness for a couple of years as the heir apparent to Jasmine James, Marjorie Butler, still hasn't lived up to expectations.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/25/14 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tennessee--some post players, please. Burdick and Harrison are seniors, Moore, Jones, and Graves are juniors. Russell is redshirting this year and it may take her awhile to get back in the groove. We are guard-heavy with only Massengale graduating.

JMU--some height, and a clone of Precious Hall! But there are 6 incoming freshmen next year, and I know nothing about them.

PostPosted: 11/25/14 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seton Hall, Not much short run, so Tony really needs developable young talent across the board to avoid the transistion slump. next year will be a transistion year as it is but he has a high octane backcourt trio of Powell with Inman/Mosely...up front will be better than the backcourt next year

Ali as a senior with Kat Egan at 4 Richardson Smith at 3 (Tho Claire lundberg needs to develop BADLY she looks horrid so far, been a huge issue, and Kucera is not much better)

5 you will have Jones (Who's half season inelligble thanks to transferrable credits) with Gordon and Jordan Molyneaux who can also see time at 4...big time shot blocker with great skill...puzzled as to why she got redshirted this year and have to cross fingers she doesn't transfer.

Does have a guard coming in tho I think she's a pure backup.

So he really needs his signature class either this year or next. With transfers he's done well...he totally stacked the deck this year and with Powell he will have a team more like Last year...18-20 wins and an NIT berth...it's next year where Tony needs to bring in the big class.

As for St. Johns again same deal this year is set for classes. Joe did well loading up on forwards and Littleton seems to be a keeper (Moreso than his grad transfer dunn) so next year we're set more than likely.

Lewis Grant Handford

Littleton Walker

Would like to see a pure center or a 4 who's more attuned to the 5 than Walker is who's still a foul machine...but those players need to be developed not found straight out of HS...unless there's a Juco out there, he's likely set...20-21 wins on the backcourt and firmly on the bubble

PostPosted: 11/25/14 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Tennessee--some post players, please. Burdick and Harrison are seniors, Moore, Jones, and Graves are juniors. Russell is redshirting this year and it may take her awhile to get back in the groove. We are guard-heavy with only Massengale graduating.

JMU--some height, and a clone of Precious Hall! But there are 6 incoming freshmen next year, and I know nothing about them.

Diamond DeShields also has too sit out because of transfer. The guard play next year will be scary good.

SocksTerp

PostPosted: 11/25/14 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maryland's 2016 class is fairly set except need for a point guard.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 11/25/14 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jlcarter wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Diamond DeShields also has too sit out because of transfer. The guard play next year will be scary good.

Does A DD Lady Vols Team start the preseason AP ahead of A Stewie Led Huskies Team?

PostPosted: 11/25/14 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Jlcarter wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Does A DD Lady Vols Team start the preseason AP ahead of A Stewie Led Huskies Team?

No.

Jlcarter

PostPosted: 11/25/14 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good question WNBA09. I will say it depends on how both teams finish this year. I do think DD is a NPOY type player. If anyone can win it other than Stweart it will be DD.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 11/25/14 6:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jlcarter wrote:
I do think DD is a NPOY type player. If anyone can win it other than Stweart it will be DD.

I guess Jewell Loyd doesn't count? Best player on the #1 team in the country?

pilight

PostPosted: 11/25/14 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Best player on the #1 team in the country?

Tiffany Mitchell?

PostPosted: 11/25/14 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Jlcarter wrote:
I do think DD is a NPOY type player. If anyone can win it other than Stweart it will be DD.

Yes Jewel Lloyd is real good. Yes is one of the best players. Diamond won FOY last year playing at about 75% how good will she be fully healthy?

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 11/25/14 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bluders Recently signed class includes three forwards and the guard. They will have the challenge to help replace possibly the most successful Iowa basketball class (at least During Bluders tenure) With the graduation of Reynolds Logic Doolittle and Dixon. Iowa does have four members Verballed that are in the class of 2016; three guards in a forward.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/25/14 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stewie, Loyd, and Mitchell all help their teammates play better. So far we haven't seen that from DD. Not to say she can't or won't, but we haven't seen it yet. It takes more than God given talent.

- Amanda Gorman
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/25/14 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jlcarter wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
Jlcarter wrote:

Yes Jewel Lloyd is real good. Yes is one of the best players. Diamond won FOY last year playing at about 75% how good will she be fully healthy?

There's a reason Loyd and Stewart were the two unanimous AP pre season All Americans. Loyd was also FOY, btw. Indeed she was both USBWA and Big East FOY over Stewart. And she didn't even have the ESPN hype machine promoting her 24/7 like DeShields did.

DeShields hasn't stepped on the floor in an orange uniform and you're penciling her in as POY? She won't be next year, and she'll be looking over her shoulder the following year at one of the historically great classes with Atkins, Mitchell, Wilson, Turner, Drummer, Calhoun and maybe others. Good luck.

Jlcarter

PostPosted: 11/25/14 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Jlcarter wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
Jlcarter wrote:

There's a reason Loyd and Stewart were the two unanimous AP pre season All Americans. Loyd was also FOY, btw. Indeed she was both USBWA and Big East FOY over Stewart. And she didn't even have the ESPN hype machine promoting her 24/7 like DeShields did.

DeShields hasn't stepped on the floor in an orange uniform and you're penciling her in as POY? She won't be next year, and she'll be looking over her shoulder the following year at one of the historically great classes with Atkins, Mitchell, Wilson, Turner, Drummer, Calhoun and maybe others. Good luck.

DeShields also has too sit out this year or she would be on the list. Look clearly Lloyd and Stweart and DeShilds are very decorated and talented. DeShields was on the top 15 Wooden list last year the only freshman. It should be a fun race for NPOY next year.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 11/25/14 11:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
Best player on the #1 team in the country?

Tiffany Mitchell?

Tuh Miss Coates MIP Confused

PostPosted: 11/26/14 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Stewie, Loyd, and Mitchell all help their teammates play better. So far we haven't seen that from DD. Not to say she can't or won't, but we haven't seen it yet. It takes more than God given talent.

Well, uh.....you aren't going to see it for another year, so keep your britches on, OK? She's sitting on the bench keeping the stat book or whatever Holly has her redshirt players doing.

PostPosted: 11/26/14 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
myrtle wrote:

She's sitting on the bench keeping the stat book or whatever Holly has her redshirt players doing.

That's sort of the point, isn't it, as to why it's way premature to be predicting POY for next year?

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 11/26/14 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looking to get this thread back on topic...

Notre Dame already has 2 players committed for 2016: Wing Jackie Young and Forward Erin Boley. Given that their 2015 class was 3 guards (Arike Ogunbowale, Marina Mabrey, and Ali Patberg), they probably need a post in the remaining 1 or 2 roster vacancies. Everyone's post target Lauren Cox is visiting Notre Dame in a week and a half for the UConn game (Dec 6th), so she is clearly on the radar. Another post possibility is Tori McCoy from nearby Illinois. That is pretty much Notre Dame's only need, as they are set at guard and forward.

linkster

PostPosted: 11/26/14 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2017 UConn Roster

Morgan Tuck sr - 6'2" - 3/4
Saniya Chong sr- 5'9"- 1/2
Natalie Butler jr- 6'5" - 5
Kiah Nurse jr - 6' - 1/2
Gabby Williams jr- 5'11"- 1/2/3
C. Ekmark jr- 6' - 2/3
S Edwards jr - 5'10"- 1/2
K Samuelson so- 6' 3"- 2/3
Collier so- 6' 1"- 2/3
D Boykin so - 6' 2"- 3/4
K Irwin fr - 6'2"- 4
C Dangerfield fr - 5'5"- 1

I guessed about a few positions. Not sure if there are any holes but there would be room for Cox, Holmes or McCoy. If not them then another big woman tbd. There would be a need for another guard or 2 but they could come in from either the 2016 or 2017 class. And of course Megan Walker.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/26/14 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford - most of all we'll be needing a PG. Orrange is really the glue for this team and we will miss her more than some realize. Hoping Sniezek, the 13th ranked PG, can immediately contribute. I have this bad feeling that we will try to make Lili into a PG. Roberson shows some promise but plays pretty out of control.

And of course we need post help. We have 2 three star posts coming in, so hopefully one of them turns out better than expected. It looks like Lili and Karlie will be strong starters, and we'll have Kaylee for rebounds. I actually like Kailee as well if she can learn how to stay out of foul trouble. McCall has been a disappointment...but maybe if she spends some time on her midrange jumper, she'll be of some use. Rooks was pretty highly touted so I'm hoping she turns into something beyond bench warming.

On the bright side, we do have a pretty good contingent of bench warmers anyway. Overall, even if we get decent starters, we will be missing depth and star power. Still looking for the Ogwumike replacement! Please step forward with your super transcript and high test scores!

- Amanda Gorman
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 11/27/14 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Stanford - most of all we'll be needing a PG. Orrange is really the glue for this team and we will miss her more than some realize. Hoping Sniezek, the 13th ranked PG, can immediately contribute. I have this bad feeling that we will try to make Lili into a PG. Roberson shows some promise but plays pretty out of control.

And of course we need post help. We have 2 three star posts coming in, so hopefully one of them turns out better than expected. It looks like Lili and Karlie will be strong starters, and we'll have Kaylee for rebounds. I actually like Kailee as well if she can learn how to stay out of foul trouble. McCall has been a disappointment...but maybe if she spends some time on her midrange jumper, she'll be of some use. Rooks was pretty highly touted so I'm hoping she turns into something beyond bench warming.

On the bright side, we do have a pretty good contingent of bench warmers anyway. Overall, even if we get decent starters, we will be missing depth and star power. Still looking for the Ogwumike replacement! Please step forward with your super transcript and high test scores!

McCall was highly regarded, and posts usually take longer to develop than guards/wings, so I wouldn't throw in the towel on McCall yet. But I can appreciate your concern. The Wyoming Johnson is a super surprise, so that was a great find for Tara. Maybe she can develop an inside game, but she's earning her keep based on rebounding alone.

It's way too early to worry about Rooks, I think. Marta S. could be ready to contribute immediately. Muffet had great luck with another DC area PG who started as a freshman (Allen).

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 11/27/14 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duke doesn't have a lot of schollies up for grabs in 2016 (but, hey still plenty of time for transfers). With the recent signing of several backcourt players to complement the numerous post players taken in the previous two classes, PMac can be picky. I suspect she'll try to lockdown one of the Blue Chip posts. She already has a verbal from one of the top perimeter players in 2017.

sammieee

PostPosted: 11/28/14 3:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Alana Smith is rated 5 star by Prospects Nation (the old HG people).

As for PG, Anna Wilson - 2016 commit, made U17 team USA will likely be the eventual successor at PG. She probably will play behind Thompson for a year.

I believe Lauren Cox has great grades. Probably very unlikely she'll come to Stanford.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: