RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Best coaches under 50
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beknighted

PostPosted: 11/26/14 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
beknighted wrote:
Right now she's making just short of $1 million a year, in a gig where she probably is safe for the next 10 years, at a school that's getting a big infusion of money from joining the B1G. It's hard to know what Warlick's total compensation is, but her base is around $550,000.

Frese's base was $382,800 in January of this year. The total is reportedly about a million, with the rest being radio and TV and shoes and so forth. I expect Warlick's total compensation exceeds that of Frese.

I would expect Warlick's comp to be at least comparable to Frese, yes.

BTW, the number for Frese comes from a Baltimore Sun Maryland government employee salary database dump, which also reported the base salary.

larmarch5

PostPosted: 11/27/14 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's a wiki list of Div 1 Women's BB coaches.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_NCAA_Division_I_women%27s_basketball_coaches

"There are 351 women's college basketball programs competing in the National Collegiate Athletic Association's Division I.
New coaches:
2012–13 season 76 new head coaches
2013–14 season 60 new head coaches (counting one interim head coach)
2014–15 season 29 new head coaches"

Maybe one young coach to watch:
Reagan Pebley, Utah State, Fresno State and now TCU
http://www.gofrogs.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/raegan_pebley_893693.html

larmarch5

PostPosted: 11/27/14 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
Carol Anne wrote:
Why not coaches 50 and under? Texas' Karen Aston would make the cut. Idea

Im curious. Outside of beating Stanford, what has Aston done?

Paying her dues. Recruiting. I get the Longhorn network so I get to see many of their games. I see the looks on the faces of her players and they are fearless, confident, and having fun.

At Texas:
2014-15 5-0 Ranked in top 10 Ranked 1 in Big 12
2013-14 22-12 / 11-7 Big 12 (t-3rd) NCAA 32
2012-13 12-18 / 5-13 Big 12 (t-8th)

Couldn't find coaches' bios on Texas' website. This if from her previous gig: http://www.charlotte49ers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=204860823&

summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/27/14 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nobody's mentioned Lindsay Gottlieb. Cal isn't back yet, but they were pretty awful before she took over, and they are far from awful now. She seems to genuinely have the respect of her team, which goes a long way.

PostPosted: 11/27/14 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We've got a couple of good ones in Michigan: Suzy Merchant and Kim Barnes Arico.

beknighted

PostPosted: 11/27/14 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
We've got a couple of good ones in Michigan: Suzy Merchant and Kim Barnes Arico.

KBA would be a good choice.

Howee

PostPosted: 11/27/14 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:

KARL SMESKO FOR PRESIDENT. Very Happy Cool

PostPosted: 11/27/14 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Many Hartford and UConn fans would nominate Jen Rizzotti.

Many also have long felt she is the top candidate to replace Geno. I don't believe she would be. She hasn't demonstrated she can recruit or develop UConn-level athletes and, having graduated from college 20 years ago and coached only at a small school, she has little name recognition among elite recruits. Recruiting may not be everything at a pinnacle program, but it's way ahead of whatever's in second place.
CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 11/28/14 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Nobody's mentioned Lindsay Gottlieb. Cal isn't back yet, but they were pretty awful before she took over, and they are far from awful now. She seems to genuinely have the respect of her team, which goes a long way.

I'd say a Pac12 (co) championship and Final Four appearance is indicative of being "back." Now beginning her 4th year, Gottlieb and her staff have signed a couple excellent recruiting classes so Cal seems well positioned to maintain momentum and remain among the PAC 12's top teams for the foreseeable future. I also think she's at Cal for the long haul and will hopefully build a legacy like that other Bay Area coach has done over her long and storied career in Palo Alto. Smile

snichols

PostPosted: 11/28/14 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the Pac12 has got several good young coaches, with Lindsay Gottlieb, Scott Rueck, and Cori Close all under 50 and doing good jobs.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 11/29/14 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Sherri Coale, for the next couple of months
Brenda Frese
Lindsay Gottlieb
Joanne P McCallie
Jeff Walz

I believe that's all the ones who have made the F4.

That may not be the right bar. Kristy Curry is also below 50 and made a Final Four, but I doubt anyone would but her into that group.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 11/29/14 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Brenda Frese
Lindsay Gottlieb
Joanne P McCallie
Jeff Walz

That may not be the right bar. Kristy Curry is also below 50 and made a Final Four, but I doubt anyone would but her into that group.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 11/29/14 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That same metric would also include....Carolyn Peck and Pam Borton. Shocked

pilight

PostPosted: 11/29/14 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
That same metric would also include....Carolyn Peck and Pam Borton. Shocked

I was only counting active coaches. I forgot Curry.

Plus I thought Peck was older than that.

PostPosted: 11/29/14 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Understandable as it seems like Peck has been around forever, but she was only 33 when Purdue won the title.

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 12/01/14 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jonathan Tsipis at George Washington is a good one.

rabidrabbit

PostPosted: 12/08/14 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

South Dakota State's Aaron Johnston (AJ)

First coach to take a transitional (D-II to D-I) team to a post-season tourney. 6 of first 7 years eligible to NCAA tourney.
Last year, WNIT final four team.

Either Summit League regular season or tourney champ for every year in league.

D-II champs and Elite 8 prior to move up.

.742 winning rate in 500 games. SDSU has more AP top 25 wins in 8 years than ALL the rest of Summit League teams has cumulatively for the entire 32 year history of the Summit/Mid-Con.

Two different 22 home winning streaks during 15 year tenure in Brookings.

PostPosted: 12/08/14 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snichols wrote:
I think the Pac12 has got several good young coaches, with Lindsay Gottlieb, Scott Rueck, and Cori Close all under 50 and doing good jobs.

Mike Neighbors is 45, and definitely has UW going in the right direction. With the offensive talent they have this season I would be very surprised to see them end up in the WNIT.

Scott Rueck, in my opinion, has done a better job recently than any coach in the country at identifying unheralded talent and getting them to live up to their potential. OSU has the best overall starting 5 in the conference and not one of them were highly ranked or recruited.

ajdawg7

PostPosted: 12/11/14 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CalwbbFan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

I'd say a Pac12 (co) championship and Final Four appearance is indicative of being "back." Now beginning her 4th year, Gottlieb and her staff have signed a couple excellent recruiting classes so Cal seems well positioned to maintain momentum and remain among the PAC 12's top teams for the foreseeable future. I also think she's at Cal for the long haul and will hopefully build a legacy like that other Bay Area coach has done over her long and storied career in Palo Alto. Smile

In what universe was Cal awful before Gottlieb took over? Here's Boyle's records before she left for UVA.

18-12, 12-6
23-9, 12-6
27-7, 15-3
27-7, 15-3
24-13, 11-7
18-16, 7-11

She won at 68.2 % overall while at Cal, and at 73.5% in the conference.

John Wooden
summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/11/14 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ajdawg7 wrote:
CalwbbFan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

In what universe was Cal awful before Gottlieb took over? Here's Boyle's records before she left for UVA.

18-12, 12-6
23-9, 12-6
27-7, 15-3
27-7, 15-3
24-13, 11-7
18-16, 7-11

I stand corrected. Undistinguished. Middle of the conference, more or less? Boyle hasn't done much at UVA either. Stuck in the middle of the conference.

Last edited by summertime blues on 12/12/14 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
ClayK

PostPosted: 12/12/14 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
ajdawg7 wrote:
CalwbbFan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

18-12, 12-6
23-9, 12-6
27-7, 15-3
27-7, 15-3
24-13, 11-7
18-16, 7-11

I stand corrected. Undistinguished. Middle of the conference, more or less? Boye hasn't done much at UVA either.

Winning 101 games and losing 36 in a Power 5 conference over a four-year span is "undistinguished"?

Yes, Boyle "slumped" to a 42-29 record her last two years, and the Bears were 18-18, definitely in the middle of the conference, but then again they were 30-6 the previous two years.

If you want to make the claim that Boyle's last two years were undistinguished and middle of the conference, that makes sense -- but they were awfully good there for a while.

PostPosted: 12/12/14 9:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:
Brenda Frese
Lindsay Gottlieb
Joanne P McCallie
Jeff Walz

I certainly wouldn't make it the only criterion, but it is worth considering. Coale, Frese, and Walz have all made multiple F4s, which distinguishes them from flukes like Peck and McCallie.

PostPosted: 12/15/14 6:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:
Brenda Frese
Lindsay Gottlieb
Joanne P McCallie
Jeff Walz

I certainly wouldn't make it the only criterion, but it is worth considering. Coale, Frese, and Walz have all made multiple F4s, which distinguishes them from flukes like Peck and McCallie.

Thank you for labeling McCallie as a "fluke." She ain't been nothing special at Duke.

~rAf
ClayK

PostPosted: 12/16/14 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm actually not a big fan of McCallie, but she's been successful at three different schools, and I just don't consider making Final Fours a black-and-white criterion of doing a good coaching job.

The fact that McCallie won at Maine (which went into the tank when she left), Michigan State and Duke is not something, I don't believe, that an average coach could have done, and the fact that it's happened three times makes her more than a "fluke," it seems to me.

PostPosted: 12/16/14 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I'm actually not a big fan of McCallie, but she's been successful at three different schools, and I just don't consider making Final Fours a black-and-white criterion of doing a good coaching job.

The fact that McCallie won at Maine (which went into the tank when she left), Michigan State and Duke is not something, I don't believe, that an average coach could have done, and the fact that it's happened three times makes her more than a "fluke," it seems to me.

Her F4 run was a fluke. She's a good coach, but not a great one. She's basically Jim Foster for a new generation.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: