RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Chong overboard; Nurse to start

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acsuc99

PostPosted: 11/23/14 1:20 am    ::: Chong overboard; Nurse to start Reply Reply with quote

Geno's response to the Conn's stunning loss to the Tree is to bench Saniya Chong in favor of Kia Nurse.

1. Will this hurt Chong's confidence?

2. Does Chong deserve the benching? Her D does suck but she scored 20 points. She wasn't the only one whose D sucked that night.

3. Is this benching an indication that Chong is the #1 reason Conn lost the Stanford game in the mind of Geno Auriemma? That she is the "Weak" link. Or is it just her D that's the problem? Is this a panic move? Why make a change at all? After all I was assured it's just November.

4. Will this be an indication that Geno plans on shortening his rotation even further? From 7 to 6? From 6 to 5? The first coach to ever play 40 with only 4 players on the court? Fouls and fatigue be damned.

5. If this move hinders Chong's development and shatters her confidence, will Glennmacgrady call for Auriemma's dismissal?

Shades

PostPosted: 11/23/14 1:35 am    ::: Re: Chong overboard; Nurse to start Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:

4. Will this be an indication that Geno plans on shortening his rotation even further? From 7 to 6? From 6 to 5? The first coach to ever play 40 with only 4 players on the court? Fouls and fatigue be damned.

He would start to resemble Reeve. Wink

acsuc99 wrote:
5. If this move hinders Chong's development and shatters her confidence, will Glennmacgrady call for Auriemma's dismissal?

No, I believe Geno has earned a lifetime pass for however long he wants to coach.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 11/23/14 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 11/23/14 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are so many parts to defense, on ball, team defense, following the defensive game plan etc. The latter 2 are the most important IMO. Maybe Chong failed at all 3 or more than the others did Wink

beknighted

PostPosted: 11/23/14 12:17 pm    ::: Re: Chong overboard; Nurse to start Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:

LOL.

There were a couple of years when I wondered if CVS might do that. There also were a couple of years when the RU defense was so good that 4 on 5 might have been more fair to the opposing team.

LegoMyEggo

PostPosted: 11/23/14 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Overall, their conference schedule is so weak that it will force him to expand the rotation.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/23/14 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chong totally out of the rotation won't happen - I don't think. They really need her offense since MoJeff and Stokes seem to be so limited offensively. Against the Creightons and SMUs it may not matter, but against the NDs, Dukes, So Caros, it does.

- Amanda Gorman
bballjunkie

PostPosted: 11/23/14 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stokes and Jefferson are both liabilities on offense, it's hard to play when the defense does not have to respect 2 players and can help off of them. I see Tuck moving Stokes to the bench.

Brinx

PostPosted: 11/23/14 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, Chong was 0-6 from the field today so maybe it did shake her confidence a bit.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/23/14 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
Stokes and Jefferson are both liabilities on offense, it's hard to play when the defense does not have to respect 2 players and can help off of them. I see Tuck moving Stokes to the bench.

If you combine Tuck replacing Stokes with the loss of Dolson, UConn would become a MUCH smaller team. Tuck just isn't very physical. She'd be a 3/4 playing the 5.

Phil

PostPosted: 11/23/14 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Tuck just isn't very physical.

I think my head just exploded.

There may be more physical players in college, but I doubt there are 5.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/23/14 6:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Really? She'd probably be a guard for S, Carolina or Baylor.
We'll just have to agree to disagree.

linkster

PostPosted: 11/23/14 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

+1

IMO Tuck is the best low post player on UConn's roster. The knock on her coming to UConn was that she had no perimeter shot. No one doubted her interior play. Well, almost no one. Rolling Eyes

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/23/14 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tuck can bring energy, and she's athletic, but she's pretty irratic/helter skelter and I don't really see her as a post player either. She plays there because they don't have anybody else but she's kinda more of a 3/4 IMO.

- Amanda Gorman
linkster

PostPosted: 11/23/14 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Tuck can bring energy, and she's athletic, but she's pretty irratic/helter skelter and I don't really see her as a post player either. She plays there because they don't have anybody else but she's kinda more of a 3/4 IMO.

I agree about her being a 3/4 but I don't see her as erratic at all. She hasn't played much in the last year and a half and was injured during the time she had on the court. She is not a 5 but in a pinch I think she is UConn's best option there if Stokes went down. She is stronger than Stewart and has excellent footwork. She and Stewart both have an inside and outside game and are interchangeable at the 3 & 4. I think it was Stewart who said they had been playing together on the USA teams since they were 14.

Time will tell.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: