RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Sioux Falls To Host 2016 NCAA Women's Regional

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leeshajo

PostPosted: 11/20/14 6:11 pm    ::: Sioux Falls To Host 2016 NCAA Women's Regional Reply Reply with quote

So, I cannot tell you how completely pumped I am for this!!!!!

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-women/article/2014-11-20/2016-18-regional-hosts

PostPosted: 11/21/14 12:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They should play it at the Corn Palace in Mitchell instead of in Sioux Falls. (Yes, I've been there and, yes, I really did love it.) (And, yes, I'm kidding.)

leeshajo

PostPosted: 11/21/14 12:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
They should play it at the Corn Palace in Mitchell instead of in Sioux Falls. (Yes, I've been there and, yes, I really did love it.) (And, yes, I'm kidding.)

Growing up my dad was a coach at a near by town, so other than my high school gym, I bet I have spent more hours in that one than most others. A lot of good memories, a fun place to play and watch a game.

PostPosted: 11/21/14 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So Dallas will be the westernmost location (just barely) in 2016. That might not sit well with some west coast fans.

leeshajo

PostPosted: 11/21/14 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
So Dallas will be the westernmost location (just barely) in 2016. That might not sit well with some west coast fans.

Most people consider South Dakota part of the western half of the U.S. so they may not notice Wink

I think people will be pleased with what Sioux falls offers. The new Denny Sanford Arena is beautiful. I went to a hockey game there earlier this month and was very impressed with it. I don't think there is going to be a bad seat in the house. I can't wait to go to my first basketball game there.

PostPosted: 11/21/14 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Lexington site choice is worth noting for two different reasons.

The NCAA has floated the idea of semi-permanent regional sites, and the three year commitment to Lexington seems like a step in that direction.

I had also noted that UConn and Kentucky met in the same regional two of the last three years, and looks possible they end up in the same regional again this year. The regional bid all but guarantees they won't meet in the regional for the 2016-2018 years, barring the unlikely event that UConn gets shipped to the Kentucky regional instead of Bridgeport or Albany.

lynxmania

PostPosted: 11/21/14 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marked it down! Can't wait to go! Very Happy

PostPosted: 11/21/14 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Would it kill SOMEONE on the East Coast outside the goddamn state of Connecticut to put up a decent goddamn bid for a regional? Already saving my pennies for Albany.

(now with spelling variations)
beknighted

PostPosted: 11/21/14 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

leeshajo wrote:
beknighted wrote:

Growing up my dad was a coach at a near by town, so other than my high school gym, I bet I have spent more hours in that one than most others. A lot of good memories, a fun place to play and watch a game.

That's wonderful.

P.S. to everyone else: Seriously, anyone who goes to the Sioux Falls regional should plan a side trip to Mitchell. The Corn Palace is one of those distinctively American places that you shouldn't miss. It's also the home town of George McGovern, who returned there after he left the Senate. (And if I remember correctly, there's also a Laura Ingalls Wilder site between Sioux Falls and Mitchell, or at least not too far away.)

beknighted

PostPosted: 11/21/14 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Would it kill SOMEONE on the East Coast outside the goddamn state of Connecticut to put up a decent goddamn bid for a regional? Already saving my pennies for Albany.

Thanks to the stupid sports betting law in New Jersey (which probably is going to be blocked permanently anyway), Trenton, which wasn't a bad site, is off the table for a while, but I enjoyed the regional at the Liacouras Center in Philadelphia in 2005 (and, let's face it, Temple's not a real prospect to make a regional any time soon).

FS02

PostPosted: 11/21/14 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cool. I trust there will be a lot of fans there.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: