RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coaches Hot Seat - 2014-15 edition
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/20/14 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shadowboxer wrote:
ClayK wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
ladydawgs96 wrote:

One thing that I also wonder about a lot is how much distance really matters anymore.

It still matters immensely. It's easier to see by watching football because the sample size is so much larger. The home school advantage is alive and well.

Skype doesn't solve (1) parents, and often even grandparents, wanting to be able to easily get to games to watch their child play; (2) kids growing up as fans of "State U"; (3) kids having friends, classmates and teammates going to the same school; and (4) wanting to stay close to or go to the same college as a high school sweetheart.

Some of these are less important and the draw far less when the player didn't grown up in the state, and certainly these don't apply to everyone and some kids are more than happy to go away to school. But geography remains a huge, and often insurmountable, issue in recruiting.

There's one other aspect, implied above about pissing off local high school and AAU coaches ... if you recruit a local girl and she doesn't work out, she's going to blame the school, and potentially poison the next recruit in line, who might be a much better player.

So if you recruit a local kid, she better be good enough to play a lot, or you may create more problems than you solve.

Another outcome of not recruiting from local schools/AAU clubs is how snubbed those coaches often feel, resulting in them steering their future top players to other local schools, in a type of retaliation. It may be short term or may taint that coach/school for years.

Also, in smaller, tightknit, communities, recruiting local talent has a definite positive impact on #of butts in the seat.

At Tennessee, they pretty much EXPECT the coaches to recruit nationally rather than locally. If there is a really outstanding local player (Glory Johnson being a prime example) then the hopes are that she will choose UT, but there's a certain amount of understanding if she doesn't because most fans understand the national thing. They remember that Jennifer Azzi, who was from next-door Oak Ridge, chose to sign with Stanford because she wanted to make her own mark away from home, even as Glory, or Holly Warlick, or Melissa McCray or Kellie Jolly chose to stay home and try to live up to the hype. (Others, like Courtney McDaniel and Brynae Laxton, found it much harder and might have been happier elsewhere; Laxton, however, *was* on a national championship team.)

PostPosted: 11/20/14 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Okay, it's only week two but they just threw gasoline on the fire under Nikki Caldwell's seat. Lose to Tulane? At home? Score 45 pts total, only 18 in the first half? Seriously?

Never good to lose an early season supposed walkover game to an in-state school.

So what was Niki wearing tonight? Nomex suit I hope.

only thing I will say is the Tiger Rag is taken MUCH more seriously by Tulane, they've pulled a few upsets dating back to Van...the Wave are a quality team for quite some time but they bring it out more against LSU than in their own conference. So this isn't the first or last time...Tulane is a tough rivalry game.

PostPosted: 11/20/14 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
only thing I will say is the Tiger Rag is taken MUCH more seriously by Tulane, they've pulled a few upsets dating back to Van...the Wave are a quality team for quite some time but they bring it out more against LSU than in their own conference. So this isn't the first or last time...Tulane is a tough rivalry game.

All that is true but it doesn't make the loss acceptable to the fans/administration. Losing at home to 2 mid-majors (Little Rock & Tulane) in the first 4 games of the year is NOT good...and then throw in 1 of their 2 home wins was an overtime victory over Jackson State.

Everything can change with a win over #22 Rutgers at home on Saturday, but if they drop to 2-3 in 5 home games to begin the year, I do think life is going to be pretty uncomfortable in the WBB offices of the Maravich Center.

After that game, they will play 3 neutral site games in Puerto Vallarta against Santa Clara, UTEP and Kansas State before returning home to play 2 more Louisiana schools: LA Tech and SE Louisiana. That will be 10 games played without playing a single one in another teams building. The pressure has been turned up in terms of winning all or at least 5 of these next 6 games.

Last edited by purduefanatic on 11/20/14 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/20/14 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
After that game, they will play 3 neutral site games in Puerto Vallarta against Santa Clara, UTEP and Kansas State before returning home to play 2 more Louisiana schools: LA Tech and SE Louisiana.

Is LaTech where PatJr coaches? I'm sure that won't be popular if LSU drops that one. 😱

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 11/20/14 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
After that game, they will play 3 neutral site games in Puerto Vallarta against Santa Clara, UTEP and Kansas State before returning home to play 2 more Louisiana schools: LA Tech and SE Louisiana.

Is LaTech where PatJr coaches? I'm sure that won't be popular if LSU drops that one. 😱

Yep...the same one that got his very own article on the front page of the ESPN women's basketball page after he won his first game: http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/11883513/tyler-summitt-wins-debut-louisiana-tech-bulldogs-head-coach

LitePal

PostPosted: 11/21/14 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Caldwell's contract was extended to 2019, albeit without a raise. The buyout was very high as well, so she's not going anywhere. There was a big enough stink about her initial salary so I don't think people will think highly about paying her another six figures to get rid of her. That contract extension is what should be at issue.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 11/21/14 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How hot is the seat under Sharon Versyp at Purdue?

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 11/21/14 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

Cold as ice. Extension in the offseason and just signed the best class she has ever signed since being at Purdue. The administration loves her. She isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 11/21/14 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Cold as ice. Extension in the offseason and just signed the best class she has ever signed since being at Purdue. The administration loves her. She isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Thanks. Missed the summer extension.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 11/21/14 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

Yep...the same one that got his very own article on the front page of the ESPN women's basketball page after he won his first game: http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/11883513/tyler-summitt-wins-debut-louisiana-tech-bulldogs-head-coach

If you want me to id go off on a long rant about this...as it is I basically commented it's only 1 game. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, what's Sanchez's contract status. She has done nothing at UNM yet they still have a large and loyal fanbase to build on. This is a good job...Flanigan was pushed out over racism concerns (which if true, good riddance) and going internal just hasn't worked, they're going backwards. Yet they still get great gate and in it's prime the Pit was as feared as it was for the men.

Dunno if she's extended, if not...keep a big eye out...this could be a good job.

PostPosted: 11/24/14 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is this the place to talk about jamelle Elliott? I'm not sure Cincinnatti really gives a damn so I don't know. Bearcats were relegated to limbo in a 30 point loss to Iowa StAte this weekend.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 11/24/14 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

and Cardoza...both have been big letdowns tho the aac should afford them some wins that should keep em safe

PostPosted: 11/25/14 5:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Have any of Geno's assistants been successful when they take a Div.1 head coaching job right out of UConn? No one comes to mind, but I may well be forgetting somebody. Plus Cardoza followed Staley. She could be great and still be a letdown after Dawn's tenure at Temple.

Then you look at Muffet McGraw's assistants coming out of Notre Dame. She is obviously a great teacher of coaching. Fennelly, McGuff, Coquese Washington and now Tsipis at GW who seems poised for success in the next couple of years. And I'm guessing Niele Ivey entertains several offers after each season, but she's waiting til she's ready. Tara does pretty well, but Summitt had several assistants move out and up without great success. As far as I'm concerned the jury is still out on Mitchell.

Teaching coaching is a specialty that even the greatest head coaches don't have in their resumes. That's one of the things that make McGraw so special.

PostPosted: 11/25/14 6:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After an 0-4 start to the season, I'm wondering the temperature of Kellie Harper's seat at Missouri State.
Shades

PostPosted: 11/25/14 8:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Okay, it's only week two but they just threw gasoline on the fire under Nikki Caldwell's seat. Lose to Tulane? At home? Score 45 pts total, only 18 in the first half? Seriously?

Never good to lose an early season supposed walkover game to an in-state school.

Tulane just knocked off NCSU, so they must be better than Art expected.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 11/25/14 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total
loneycafe

PostPosted: 11/25/14 8:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Happycappie25 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Tulane just knocked off NCSU, so they must be better than Art ecpected.

Granted, but NC State isn't a very good team.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/25/14 9:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

loneycafe wrote:
Shades wrote:
Happycappie25 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Yeah, maybe marginally better, but not enough better to change anything in my previous post. And I doubt that either NCSt or LSU end up as tournament teams, so I doubt if beating them results in a tournament bid.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 11/25/14 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
After an 0-4 start to the season, I'm wondering the temperature of Kellie Harper's seat at Missouri State.

warm but she'll get a full class before anything serious gets mentioned IMHO

Also despite not winning Sanchez likely saved her job there at UNM that was a great effort against Stanford

odd year as no one is truly atomic (tho some of those are do to shadow extensions) but there are certainly some warm butts worth attention.

PostPosted: 11/25/14 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
loneycafe wrote:
Shades wrote:
Happycappie25 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Yeah, maybe marginally better, but not enough better to change anything in my previous post. And I doubt that either NCSt or LSU end up as tournament teams, so I doubt if beating them results in a tournament bid.

Agree w/ you. NC State won't be in the tournament.... Unless Sara Boric is cleared to play and she's Gatling-esque.

loneycafe

PostPosted: 11/25/14 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:

She just started her 2nd season. I think it's premature to speculate on her seat.

grrlagent

PostPosted: 11/25/14 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
Caldwell's contract was extended to 2019, albeit without a raise. The buyout was very high as well, so she's not going anywhere. There was a big enough stink about her initial salary so I don't think people will think highly about paying her another six figures to get rid of her. That contract extension is what should be at issue.

Oh my gawd, I thought it was only extended to 2017?!??! Please tell me 2019 is a mistake! Alleva has got to go when she goes. Seriously.

PostPosted: 11/25/14 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

grrlagent wrote:
LitePal wrote:

Oh my gawd, I thought it was only extended to 2017?!??! Please tell me 2019 is a mistake! Alleva has got to go when she goes. Seriously.

And now this: Santa Clara 69 LSU 67

Oh, my.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/25/14 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
grrlagent wrote:
LitePal wrote:

And now this: Santa Clara 69 LSU 67

Oh, my.

At this rate LSU could be eliminated from the Tournament before Christmas. Well, there's always the conference's automatic bid, right?

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 11/25/14 7:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't care about the buyout...I think someone has already sealed her fate and the players know it because this is just listless....and horrid...and they have good players....this is just bad. WOW

PostPosted: 11/26/14 9:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Santa Clara has not been a strong program in recent years, but they have a new coach in JR Payne (formerly at Southern Utah) and this is a big win.

Still, Santa Clara is not expected to be a contender in the West Coast Conference this season ...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: