RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Baylor Over Signs by 2???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NationalInsider

PostPosted: 11/19/14 4:38 pm    ::: Baylor Over Signs by 2??? Reply Reply with quote

Not sure if anyone else this

Signed 5 C/O 2015 Prospects

Seniors 1
Juniors 4
Sophomores 5
Freshmen 3

Total on Scholarship in 2015-2016: 17

http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/239/class/2015/baylor

http://www.baylorbears.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/bay-w-baskbl-mtt.html

beknighted

PostPosted: 11/19/14 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So this year is "Survivor: Waco"?

I seem to remember at least one occasion when KM dropped a scholarship player at the end of the year, so I guess she knows how to do it.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 11/19/14 5:32 pm    ::: UNC Reply Reply with quote

Didn't North Carolina do the same thing?

PUmatty

PostPosted: 11/19/14 5:51 pm    ::: Re: UNC Reply Reply with quote

The NCAA should not allow this.

Coaches who do it are pieces of shit. Period.

Mulkey showing her colors once again.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/19/14 6:20 pm    ::: Re: UNC Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

Don't know if this is correct, but what I have read is that they have 2 juniors who will have enough credits to graduate at the end of this school year. Thus, they can graduate, go to graduate school elsewhere, and play right away.

My cynical side says they are being told of that opportunity and that they should avail themselves of it.

linkster

PostPosted: 11/19/14 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can't freshmen be redshirted for other than medical reasons? They do it in football all the time. And if so, do they count towards the 15?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/19/14 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Can't freshmen be redshirted for other than medical reasons? They do it in football all the time. And if so, do they count towards the 15?

If they are getting a scholarship they count.

They get 5 years to play four. But every year counts towards scholarship limits. A redshirt just doesn't count against the 4 playing years.

bekcat1

PostPosted: 11/19/14 7:06 pm    ::: Re: UNC Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Don't know if this is correct, but what I have read is that they have 2 juniors who will have enough credits to graduate at the end of this school year. Thus, they can graduate, go to graduate school elsewhere, and play right away.

My cynical side says they are being told of that opportunity and that they should avail themselves of it.

I wouldn't say you're cynical...I'd say you're probably right. And it is pretty slimy if she does IMO.

beknighted

PostPosted: 11/19/14 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's also pretty common in football to take more commits than you actually can have and to play Survivor with them, so KM may be taking a page from that book.

Ironically, this problem should go away in football (and presumably basketball) when schools start guaranteeing scholarships, which already is happening.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/19/14 10:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
It's also pretty common in football to take more commits than you actually can have and to play Survivor with them, so KM may be taking a page from that book.

Ironically, this problem should go away in football (and presumably basketball) when schools start guaranteeing scholarships, which already is happening.

It won't end it. Saban will still find ways to run players off.

The Big 10 doesn't permit oversigning in football. It's mostly an SEC issue.

beknighted

PostPosted: 11/19/14 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
beknighted wrote:

My cynicism about football knows few bounds, but it will take some pretty significant maneuvers to get rid of people when their scholarships are guaranteed. I'm not saying he can't do it, but it may strain the limits of obviousness.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/19/14 11:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
beknighted wrote:

My cynicism about football knows few bounds, but it will take some pretty significant maneuvers to get rid of people when their scholarships are guaranteed. I'm not saying he can't do it, but it may strain the limits of obviousness.

The players who are going to Alabama to play football want to play football, not go to school. They want to make it to the NFL. If he doesn't let them play, if he makes it clear that they will never step on the field and if they want to play they'd better find a new school, they'll leave. Telling them they can stay as students is of absolutely no interest or value.

A guaranteed scholarship doesn't mean you get to play football. It won't be hard at all to drive players out. The guarantee will help the players who get hurt, not the ones who see their future as playing football.

beknighted

PostPosted: 11/20/14 7:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
beknighted wrote:

The players who are going to Alabama to play football want to play football, not go to school. They want to make it to the NFL. If he doesn't let them play, if he makes it clear that they will never step on the field and if they want to play they'd better find a new school, they'll leave. Telling them they can stay as students is of absolutely no interest or value.

A guaranteed scholarship doesn't mean you get to play football. It won't be hard at all to drive players out. The guarantee will help the players who get hurt, not the ones who see their future as playing football.

Even at Alabama, only something like a third of each entering class (actually fewer, when you consider players leaving early), gets drafted. You'd figure that by the time that Saban would drop them, most of them would figure out that they're not going to the NFL. Perhaps they're not that realistic, but the guys who would be dropped would be the ones who'd benefit most from the guaranteed full ride.

BUfan

PostPosted: 11/20/14 9:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It never seems to dawn on this board that there may be more to something than the first sentence. Two juniors are graduating and giving up basketball.

beknighted

PostPosted: 11/20/14 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BUfan wrote:
It never seems to dawn on this board that there may be more to something than the first sentence. Two juniors are graduating and giving up basketball.

Interestingly, the 5th post in this thread mentions that.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 11/20/14 10:53 am    ::: Is there a difference Reply Reply with quote

Not sure if there is any difference than what UNC did.

NationalInsider

PostPosted: 11/20/14 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When UNC did it not all were bound to an NLI so some were just never signed although they had committed IE Adut now at FSU

One of the two RS Juniors is Alexis Jones the TR from Duke ... doubt she ends up graduating and going to another school

summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/20/14 11:30 am    ::: Re: UNC Reply Reply with quote

bekcat1 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

I wouldn't say you're cynical...I'd say you're probably right. And it is pretty slimy if she does IMO.

I agree, and if that's the case, my opinion of her just went down a few MORE degrees!

PostPosted: 11/20/14 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't have any love for Baylor. I sometimes question Kim's histrionics, temper, big mouth, fashion sense, tactics to gain a recruiting advantage. But I do not question her commitment to her players. I don't have any good information here, but I would be surprised if it turns out she pushed these girls out. That doesn't square with my observation of Kim over the years.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/20/14 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

newkid wrote:
I don't have any love for Baylor. I sometimes question Kim's histrionics, temper, big mouth, fashion sense, tactics to gain a recruiting advantage. But I do not question her commitment to her players. I don't have any good information here, but I would be surprised if it turns out she pushed these girls out. That doesn't square with my observation of Kim over the years.

She oversigned. Two have to go. That's a known fact. It's only November. What happens if one of them flunks a class or otherwise has to drop a class and can't graduate early in May? Just SOL I guess.

Sorry if I don't share your certainty regarding Kim's beneficent character.

Oh, and I didn't see a lot of "commitment" to Griner. I thought she was used, tossed to the curb, and treated rather shabbily.

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 11/20/14 2:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
OtterlyAmused

PostPosted: 11/20/14 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who are the two Baylor juniors that will graduate after this season?

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 11/20/14 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OtterlyAmused wrote:
Who are the two Baylor juniors that will graduate after this season?

I'm guessing the two players are Chardonae Fuqua' and Kristine Higgins.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 11/20/14 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

newkid wrote:

Really? How about you ask Brittney Griner about that?

newkid

PostPosted: 11/20/14 11:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
newkid wrote:

Really? How about you ask Brittney Griner about that?

For what? Asking her to keep her orientation on the down low? In Texas, that is highly unremarkable behavior. Same thing would've happened at pretty much any Texas school she went to. Not saying it's good, mind you. Just that it's completely the norm for this neck o' the woods, so Kim doesn't get as many points counted off by me. Meanwhile, how about the way Kim handled the "punching" incident? I thought she did a great job of standing up for Brittney without excusing Brittney's response to the taunting.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: