RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Your Non-Bri Stewart POY candidate?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JACKOWACKO

PostPosted: 11/17/14 12:50 pm    ::: Your Non-Bri Stewart POY candidate? Reply Reply with quote

Elizabeth Williams.

PostPosted: 11/17/14 1:18 pm    ::: Re: Your Non-Bri Stewart POY candidate? Reply Reply with quote

JACKOWACKO wrote:
Elizabeth Williams.

Based on one game against Alabama? Wow. You don't hear me touting Brianna Turner for POY after looking great against UMass-Lowell. Laughing

But if Breanna Stewart were hurt or something (heaven forbid), then the logical choice would be Jewell Loyd or Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/17/14 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brianna Turner.

She's already shown scoring and rebounding superiority over Loyd, and KML will have too many votes stripped away by her teammate Stewart, who by the OP's presumption does not to get enough votes for POY.
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 11/17/14 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I want to point out that Glenn is NOT a Notre Dame fan! Laughing

Loyd shot 5/6 from the field and 10/11 FT to get 20 points in 19 minutes. Brianna Turner shot 13/18 and 3/5 FT's, meaning that she missed 5 times more FG's and twice as many FT's to get her 29 points (also in 19 minutes). Obviously these stats look incredible, but it was against UMass-Lowell!!

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/17/14 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hey, we're being asked for fun to make choices in the first week of the season. I reserve the right to change my mind in the second week.

The only game I've seen in person so far is FSU vs. Faulkner. And UConn on the 'puter.

In the long run, I do expect Brianna Turner to be better than Elizabeth Williams.

I am a fan of Notre Dame and Muffet McGraw. I would root for FSU, UConn or Harvard in a head-to-head game, but probably ND against anyone else.
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 11/17/14 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Hey, we're being asked for fun to make choices in the first week of the season. I reserve the right to change my mind in the second week.

The only game I've seen in person so far is FSU vs. Faulkner. And UConn on the 'puter.

In the long run, I do expect Brianna Turner to be better than Elizabeth Williams.

I am a fan of Notre Dame and Muffet McGraw. I would root for FSU, UConn or Harvard in a head-to-head game, but probably ND against anyone else.

That's great, Glen. I knew you respected Muffet and ND, but didn't realize there was some fondness as well. Did you attend FSU, Harvard, or UConn? Are you living in Florida now (as you attended the FSU exhibition vs. Faulkner)? I had figured you were from NY state. Too bad that ND plays all those teams you favor this season. How did Thomas look? She seems like a beast.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/17/14 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I live in Connecticut and am visiting family and friends in Florida. I went to FSU and Harvard (and Columbia and NYU - but they are terrible in WCBB).

I attended the FSU-Faulkner game with superscout Bob Corwin. Got to meet all the coaches, received a tour of their offices and practice facility, spoke to Leticia Romero, and was given a season press pass. All very friendly and grateful for any sort of potential press attention. I'll probably go to the FSU game against Bethune-Cookman tomorrow.

I admire greatly how Muffet develops players and implements a sophisticated passing and penetrating offense. I have also followed some of the ND players in high school, such as the Mabrey sisters.

Shakayla Thomas is 6th man and should become one of the most productive players in FSU history.
linkster

PostPosted: 11/17/14 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Brianna Turner.

She's already shown scoring and rebounding superiority over Loyd, and KML will have too many votes stripped away by her teammate Stewart, who by the OP's presumption does not to get enough votes for POY.

I didn't read the OP as you did. I took it to mean if you assume Stewart didn't exist or was maybe only as good as say Hartley for example. And even under your interpretation Loyd would take votes away from Turner.

But let's go to the numbers:

Turner.........................Lewis

19.0_____ mins______ 24
72.2_____ fg%______76.9
71.8_____ true%_____115.4
72.2_____ eFG%_____ 76.9
61.1_____pts/40_____ 50
29.0_______Eff______ 32.0
.736_____Eff/Pos_____.773
29.0_______ pts______30

Factor in that many voters give preference to seniors and I'd say Lewis wins.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/17/14 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If we are basing POY on one game? Both were playing poodunks. Laughing

- Amanda Gorman
linkster

PostPosted: 11/17/14 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
If we are basing POY on one game? Both were playing poodunks. Laughing

Hey, playing poodunks wasn't a factor for those who voted for EDD a few years ago.

Rolling Eyes

Jlcarter

PostPosted: 11/17/14 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Next season Diamond DeSheilds. Will be on the NPOY list.

Zorro

PostPosted: 11/17/14 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kaleena.

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 11/17/14 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Stewart was able to win one NPOY award last season, there really isn't much hope.

The Awards were split last year, with Ogwumike winning the Wooden, Stewart taking the AP National Player of the Year.

I'd say that the AP is drinking the UConn-ade--and don't get me wrong, Stewart is fantastic--but Ogwumike put up fantastic numbers last year, and all but carried Stanford to a final four after a hiatus.

RP

PostPosted: 11/17/14 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alaina Coates.

ballch87

PostPosted: 11/18/14 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kaleena even after her performance against Stanford?? She's not impressive to me.. just always been in a good system and around tremendous talent...And if Turner continues what she's doing , llyod won't be ND's front and premier player. So looks like well need to look another way for POY. ha!

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 11/18/14 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ballch87 wrote:
Kaleena even after her performance against Stanford?? She's not impressive to me.. just always been in a good system and around tremendous talent...And if Turner continues what she's doing , llyod won't be ND's front and premier player. So looks like well need to look another way for POY. ha!

I hate how the Three to See picked two players from the same team. That's such a disservice to all the great players out there. Why not put Amber Orrange there now? Or Isabelle Harrison, or Bashaara Graves? Or Courtney Walker? Or some other players? I get that Kaleena is good, but if you want to draw people in maybe it's best to try to get them to follow more than one team. ESPN, please stop drinking the UConn Coolade. Kaleena is great on offense--but her defense is incredibly sub-par. It seems to me that people forget that defense is half the game.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/18/14 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
ballch87 wrote:

I hate how the Three to See picked two players from the same team. That's such a disservice to all the great players out there. Why not put Amber Orrange there now? Or Isabelle Harrison, or Bashaara Graves? Or Courtney Walker? Or some other players? I get that Kaleena is good, but if you want to draw people in maybe it's best to try to get them to follow more than one team. ESPN, please stop drinking the UConn Coolade. Kaleena is great on offense--but her defense is incredibly sub-par. It seems to me that people forget that defense is half the game.

Face it, ESPN has a serious East Coast bias. I agree with you about KML, but for different reasons...mainly that she is streaky. I also think they should wait to pick their Three to See until later in the season, because you never know who might be a breakout player. What if one of their big three blows out a knee, or just has a sub-par year, or somebody else comes out of the woodwork and blows them all away?

PostPosted: 11/18/14 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Face it, ESPN has a serious East Coast bias. I agree with you about KML, but for different reasons...mainly that she is streaky. I also think they should wait to pick their Three to See until later in the season, because you never know who might be a breakout player. What if one of their big three blows out a knee, or just has a sub-par year, or somebody else comes out of the woodwork and blows them all away?

They can always change their "3 To See" list, like last year Kayla McBride wasn't even part of their "Need To See" (it was Sims, KML, Stewart, Thomas, Ogwumike), but they replaced KML with McBride with KML being injured and McBride being a big-time superstar.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 11/18/14 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
ballch87 wrote:

The probably is there's no obvious top tier of 3-5 top players like there were the past couple seasons.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: