RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Pitt picks up 6'11 recruit
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hyperetic

PostPosted: 01/16/14 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After viewing the video, I can see Marva's potential but she has a LOT of work to do. As posted previously, her conditioning is going to need a lot of work. I noticed she didn't have much hops. Don't know if that's normal for her or if had something to do with her injury. She lacks a bit of aggressiveness on the defensive end especially on block attempts. She's young though. Hopefully they will find a good big woman/man to help her post work. Its hard to learn post from guards.
mzonefan

PostPosted: 10/04/14 8:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For those following this story, Bubbles is out again this season (and Pitt needs to beef up their roster with some walk-ons).

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/Pitt/2014/10/03/Next-step-for-Pitt-women-s-basketball-will-be-challenge/stories/201410030151
The Panthers have just nine healthy players, meaning they must be ready to play significant minutes.

"These players have to be in shape to play 40 minutes a game," McConnell-Serio said at the team's media day Thursday. "It's not our intention to play them 40 minutes a game, but by the time we tip off [against Princeton], they need to be in great shape to play, if asked, 40 minutes."

Part of the reason for the dearth of options is injuries. Bubbles Anderson, a 6-foot-11 center, tore her anterior cruciate ligament while rehabbing from the same surgery last year and will miss the 2014-15 season. Junior Brittany Gordon, who played 15.5 minutes a game, will miss most of the year, as well.

There have been other losses, too. Loliya Briggs, who started 28 games and was the third-leading scorer, transferred to Jacksonville. Highly touted recruit Naje Gibson, out of Seton-LaSalle, did not qualify academically and must start her career at a junior college.

hyperetic

PostPosted: 10/04/14 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah the knock-kneed thing worried me too. Sorry for her. On another note, we're to the point where female athletes are assuming pro careers so they're not putting in the work in the classroom? Well I'm just assuming they assumed a pro career but still I thought all female prospects took care of the classroom stuff. Well at least the bare minimum...
Howee

PostPosted: 10/05/14 12:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
Yeah the knock-kneed thing worried me too. Sorry for her. On another note, we're to the point where female athletes are assuming pro careers so they're not putting in the work in the classroom? Well I'm just assuming they assumed a pro career but still I thought all female prospects took care of the classroom stuff. Well at least the bare minimum....

I'd say it's far more prevalent on the male side of the game to brush academic concerns under the carpet, but there are still females that are just NOT great students....learning difficulties don't discriminate by gender. And if a high school coach (and setting) don't give an elite athlete the necessary support and help to make those grades, this stuff happens. I'd bet there's a half-ton o' gals that could be DI All-Americans, in terms of hoop skills, but....never make it out of high school for academics.

PostPosted: 11/17/14 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

such a shame for "Bubbles". I wonder if she'll ever play another game.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
toad455

PostPosted: 12/31/15 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

as I mention in the injuries thread for this season, Bubbles is out again this season due to tearing her ACL again. Anyone else think Anderson should call it quits on basketball?. A very raw 6'11" player who's played a total of 9 games in her three years at Pitt.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 12/31/15 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who keeps bumping the Bubbles topic like there's any hope? It doesn't mean much to be the tallest teenager in the world if you're not built to take a pounding in the joints. There must have been another Bubbles topic because I remember posting a pic of her just standing still and her knees would be buckling. I pointed it out and I remember being harassed by bballfan2015 because I didn't think Bubbles had much promise.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: