RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn peaks. Now downhill for . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/15/14 10:45 am    ::: UConn peaks. Now downhill for . . . Reply Reply with quote

. . . some offensive statistics.

Viz, UConn hit some numbers against the Davis Aggies that they are unlikely to match this season: KML tied Maya Moore's single game three-point record of 10 makes, UConn tied the team record of 18 three-point makes, and UConn went on a believed-to-be school (NCAA?) record run of 39-0 during the game.

UConn hit 18 of 28 three-point attempts, for 64.3%.

Here is the video of the entire game:

http://uconnhuskygames.com/2014-2015-womens-basketball-game-replays/
letsski

PostPosted: 11/15/14 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Got to attend the last night. UConn, even through matched against an overwhelmed opponent, was awesome. Lewis could not miss with every three a clean swish.

I don't know if UConn gets credit for the defense they play. They challenge on very possession. Gabby Mitchell looks like she could end up being a very good player. Quick and springy.

UC Davis had over 4,000 in attendance last night, a record crowd for Davis WBB. Geno met with fans afterwards, signed autographs and posed for pictures.

At one point a UC Davis player went down in front of the UConn bench. Geno was the 1st person to attend to her. Overall a very nice event .

With that said, will of course still pull for Stanford on Monday.

Homyonkel

PostPosted: 11/15/14 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

letsski wrote:

I don't know if UConn gets credit for the defense they play. They challenge on very possession.

Believe me, most UCONN fans understand that defense has been a critical element of their success year after year.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 11/15/14 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Homyonkel wrote:
letsski wrote:

I don't know if UConn gets credit for the defense they play. They challenge on very possession.

Believe me, most UCONN fans understand that defense has been a critical element of their success year after year.

the thing about UConn is they are usually the best offensive AND defensive team in the country.

newkid

PostPosted: 11/15/14 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I did not understand the importance of UConn's defense until my team played them and I watched it in person. Their defensive play was not flashy, but it was stifling, absolutely smothering. On many posessions we could not get off even the first pass. The help is truly amazing. If you do get off a pass, the receiver has two girls on her even before she gets the ball. It is completely demoralizing. Exhausting, too, I am sure. After a quarter or two, you just want to give up.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/15/14 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

newkid wrote:
I did not understand the importance of UConn's defense until my team played them and I watched it in person. Their defensive play was not flashy, but it was stifling, absolutely smothering. On many posessions we could not get off even the first pass. The help is truly amazing. If you do get off a pass, the receiver has two girls on her even before she gets the ball. It is completely demoralizing. Exhausting, too, I am sure. After a quarter or two, you just want to give up.

That's what happens against grossly overmatched opponents. Notre Dame had 15 steals, 9 blocks, and held the opponent to a .288 shooting percentage in its blowout win. You can't tell much about how effective the defense actually is in those kinds of games.

Homyonkel

PostPosted: 11/15/14 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
newkid wrote:

That's what happens against grossly overmatched opponents. Notre Dame had 15 steals, 9 blocks, and held the opponent to a .288 shooting percentage in its blowout win. You can't tell much about how effective the defense actually is in those kinds of games.

I, for one,was not talking about blow-out games only. Even against many, if not most of the better teams UCONN tends to hold them below their usual production. Especially when the opponent has an individual star. She is often held to 1/2 to 3/4 of her season average.

acsuc99

PostPosted: 11/15/14 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
newkid wrote:

Ok how about the 2nd half of last year's championship against your undefeated Irish? Their defense made ND look like Houston.

It's always been the D that has set UConn apart. They struggled to score in the past in several games (2010 National Title, last year vs Stanford in Final 4) and the defense has always been what saved them. And in the year's they are the best it's what makes them so dominant. Even in the "weak" UConn years, their D makes them competitive (see 2006 when they almost beat Duke for no other reason than holding them to 63 points in an OT game). Look how Baylor let Louisville go off for what, 17 3's, UConn locked them down from the perimeter and won by 33. Baylor certainly had as much talent as UConn did in 2013 but couldn't adjust defensively.

Anyone with eyes can see that it's not just against the "cupcakes".

chienboo

PostPosted: 11/15/14 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GMac.... thanks for the game site. Greatly enjoyed ...
Wink Wink Wink

PhillyCat

PostPosted: 11/15/14 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
newkid wrote:

Ok how about the 2nd half of last year's championship against your undefeated Irish? Their defense made ND look like Houston.

It's always been the D that has set UConn apart. They struggled to score in the past in several games (2010 National Title, last year vs Stanford in Final 4) and the defense has always been what saved them. And in the year's they are the best it's what makes them so dominant.

UConn's defense in the championship game last year was one of the most impressive displays of defense I've seen in a long time. After trailing by 7 points at halftime, Notre Dame was able to score only 9 points in the first 16 minutes of the second half. Jewell Loyd scored 2 points in the second half, a basket with 3+ minutes to go and with UConn up by 24.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/15/14 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
newkid wrote:

It's always been the D that has set UConn apart. They struggled to score in the past in several games (2010 National Title, last year vs Stanford in Final 4) and the defense has always been what saved them. And in the year's they are the best it's what makes them so dominant. Even in the "weak" UConn years, their D makes them competitive (see 2006 when they almost beat Duke for no other reason than holding them to 63 points in an OT game). Look how Baylor let Louisville go off for what, 17 3's, UConn locked them down from the perimeter and won by 33. Baylor certainly had as much talent as UConn did in 2013 but couldn't adjust defensively.

I notice you conveniently ignore that Notre Dame was missing its starting center and leader. Easier that way isn't it.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/15/14 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PhillyCat wrote:
acsuc99 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
newkid wrote:

It's always been the D that has set UConn apart. They struggled to score in the past in several games (2010 National Title, last year vs Stanford in Final 4) and the defense has always been what saved them. And in the year's they are the best it's what makes them so dominant.

UConn's defense in the championship game last year was one of the most impressive displays of defense I've seen in a long time. After trailing by 7 points at halftime, Notre Dame was able to score only 9 points in the first 16 minutes of the second half. Jewell Loyd scored 2 points in the second half, a basket with 3+ minutes to go and with UConn up by 24.

Another homer who trys to make a "point" while conveniently ignoring the single most significant fact. Try harder.

acsuc99

PostPosted: 11/15/14 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh Good lord.

Another year. Another king of the straw man in Artbest.

You don't even know what your arguing and it constantly changes to suit your agenda so why bother.

First you suggest that the only reason UConn looked good defensively last night was because it was a cup cake.

Now when you had countless examples given to you of where their defense, which anyone who watches them unbiasedly can admit is impressive, won them games or shut down top teams you have now fallen back on but but but ND didn't have Achowa! You didn't have Achowa in the first half when you scored 38 points. What happened the 2nd when you were held to 4 field goals? Yeah UConn's D had nothing to do with it. And I guess ND without Achowa is a cupcake? I'll ignore the 2 All American guards.

Oh there's homers in this thread alright. You being the biggest.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/15/14 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The 18 threes:

Lewis: 10-13
Chong: 4-5
Jefferson: 3-3
Stewart: 1-2

UConn shot better on threes (64%) than twos (51%). Anomalous.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/15/14 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:
Oh Good lord.

Another year. Another king of the straw man in Artbest.

You don't even know what your arguing and it constantly changes to suit your agenda so why bother.

First you suggest that the only reason UConn looked good defensively last night was because it was a cup cake.

Now when you had countless examples given to you of where their defense, which anyone who watches them unbiasedly can admit is impressive, won them games or shut down top teams you have now fallen back on but but but ND didn't have Achowa! You didn't have Achowa in the first half when you scored 38 points. What happened the 2nd when you were held to 4 field goals? Yeah UConn's D had nothing to do with it. And I guess ND without Achowa is a cupcake? I'll ignore the 2 All American guards.

Oh there's homers in this thread alright. You being the biggest.

You're just trolling.

The posts to which I responded were all about a claim that last night's performance showed what a great defensive team UConn is. I said you can tell no such thing from a total walkover, and indeed ND's defensive performance in its blowout was superior in every defensive category - steals, blocks, opponent shooting percentage, and also rebounding margin - and just like UConn's performance, it means nothing against such an overmatched opponent.

You, like a typical troll, say but but but but but we beat you in the title game last year (a third grade caliber retort which of course had absolutely nothing to do with the discussion) while of course ignoring both that ND's center was out injured, and that over the past three years ND is 6-3 against UConn. What happened to the Maginot Line in those games.

UConn isn't the only team that plays defense.

linkster

PostPosted: 11/15/14 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
acsuc99 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
newkid wrote:

I notice you conveniently ignore that Notre Dame was missing its starting center and leader. Easier that way isn't it.

Achonwa was the 3rd best player for ND. Great teams handle that.

And I may be mistaken but were you not arguing last year how Notre Dame's long bench and depth in the post would be the difference against UConn?

What happened to all that depth on the front line?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/15/14 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
acsuc99 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
newkid wrote:

Achonwa was the 3rd best player for ND. Great teams handle that.

And I may be mistaken but were you not arguing last year how Notre Dame's long bench and depth in the post would be the difference against UConn?

What happened to all that depth on the front line?

UConn trolls always travel in packs.

Queenie

PostPosted: 11/15/14 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jesus Chrimbo. I'm not a UConn fan, but even I can acknowledge their phenomenal defense- how all the pieces fit together, how they rotate, how they know where to be and when to be there. I have seen them play bad teams, good teams, and great teams, and make them all look like they don't even know how offense works.

PostPosted: 11/15/14 11:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anyone who disagrees with Art is, by his definition, a troll.

PostPosted: 11/16/14 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Jesus Chrimbo. I'm not a UConn fan, but even I can acknowledge their phenomenal defense- how all the pieces fit together, how they rotate, how they know where to be and when to be there. I have seen them play bad teams, good teams, and great teams, and make them all look like they don't even know how offense works.

No one ever said they don't traditionally play good defense. Go back and look at my first comment in this thread that set a few people off. Was it really incorrect? All I said was that you can't really tell much from a total walkover game. And it wasn't just UConn; I said you couldn't tell much from ND's impressive defensive performance either. Of course some hyperdefensive types responded with the completely irrelevant junk about winning last year's title. Yes they did, but that doesn't disprove the immutable reality that you can't tell much about THIS year's team's defense from a game vs Cal Davis or UMass Lowell. Why do some people need to treat every simple comment as some all out assault on their heroes?

You know it's pretty funny that one poster who took umbrage at my pointing out how little you can tell from these blowouts felt compelled to respond to my post about Brianna Turner's debut by commenting " Mass-Lowell has 4 players over 5' 9". " That's true and I don't expect the same next week against Mich St. But the same reality about the level of competition exists in this thread too. I felt no need to start a silly flame war about that reply in the Turner thread.

linkster

PostPosted: 11/16/14 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Queenie wrote:

No one ever said they don't traditionally play good defense. Go back and look at my first comment in this thread that set a few people off. Was it really incorrect? All I said was that you can't really tell much from a total walkover game. And it wasn't just UConn; I said you couldn't tell much from ND's impressive defensive performance either. Of course some hyperdefensive types responded with the completely irrelevant junk about winning last year's title. Yes they did, but that doesn't disprove the immutable reality that you can't tell much about THIS year's team's defense from a game vs Cal Davis or UMass Lowell. Why do some people need to treat every simple comment as some all out assault on their heroes?

You know it's pretty funny that one poster who took umbrage at my pointing out how little you can tell from these blowouts felt compelled to respond to my post about Brianna Turner's debut by commenting " Mass-Lowell has 4 players over 5' 9". " That's true and I don't expect the same next week against Mich St. But the same reality about the level of competition exists in this thread too. I felt no need to start a silly flame war about that reply in the Turner thread.

I don't think anyone was praising UConn's defense based on the UCD game. Glen mentioned the scoreless stretch but then the comments were about UConn's history of playing what is IMO the best defense in the country.

Your initial reponse was to this:

"
newkid wrote:

To which you responded:

That's what happens against grossly overmatched opponents. Notre Dame had 15 steals, 9 blocks, and held the opponent to a .288 shooting percentage in its blowout win. You can't tell much about how effective the defense actually is in those kinds of games."

If you look, from their avatarI believe Newkid is a Texas fan and was referring to past games betwen UConn and Texas, not the UCD game. So your response was inappropriate.

I couldn't agree more that gaudy stats against overmatched opponents should be discounted to a large degree.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: