RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The fastest and slowest UConn Huskies . . .
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/27/14 11:30 am    ::: The fastest and slowest UConn Huskies . . . Reply Reply with quote

. . . in wind sprints.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/s4CoiBV5dBQ?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1. Moriah Jefferson
2. Gabby Williams
3. Kia Nurse
11. Courtney Ekmark
12. Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis
13. Natalie Butler

Extra credit for Zapruderians who can fill out the rest of the list.
Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 10/27/14 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With my poor eyesight can't tell most but looks like Stewart finished fourth.

PostPosted: 10/27/14 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seeing Jefferson blow away everyone else makes me appreciate her speed even more. Stewart did finish 4th, and the top 4 were that by a large margin.

KML didn't get in better shape over the summer. Disappointing.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/28/14 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Morgan Tuck is the second from the far left with the black wrap on her right leg. She comes in fifth, just a half step behind Stewart. That's encouraging. It's close but Chong may be after Tuck

The white headband is likely Kiah Stokes, who fades in the stretch.

I remember reading a long time ago that Sue Bird was so fast and competitive that she would always try to win every wind sprint, and that she was beaten only once or twice over four years . . . by Jessica Moore.
Iluvacc

PostPosted: 10/28/14 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gabby Williams finishing second in the sprints, despite coming back from 2 knee injuries has to be an encouraging sign in regards to her progress.

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 10/28/14 9:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:

I thought I read an article that noted how much improvement she made working with their strength and conditioning coach Amanda Kimball this past summer.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/28/14 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

KML probably didn't do as badly as it appeared. She's likely the one who was cursing at the beginning as it seems she forgot that they were turning at the halfcourt line (one foot over the halfcourt line). She had her whole body over by a couple feet and had to do some major momentum reversal.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 10/28/14 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:

I thought I read an article that noted how much improvement she made working with their strength and conditioning coach Amanda Kimball this past summer.

You can have the most fit body there is but if you are slow of foot and people who are in the same shape but fast a foot, then the results don't change.

PostPosted: 10/28/14 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:

You can have the most fit body there is but if you are slow of foot and people who are in the same shape but fast a foot, then the results don't change.

That was my point. She is in shape, but that doesn't make her FloJo.

linkster

PostPosted: 10/28/14 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sad that Chong is slower than the 2 players recovering from knee surgery. 1/2's are supposed to be quicker than 3/4's. Just shows that you you can't trust those high school pundits. Rolling Eyes

But the results might have been different if they had to dribble a ball.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 10/28/14 11:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

None of them quite like Summer Erb, who once played for NC State, and who my best basketball-watching buddy always referred to as "the slowest thing on two feet". Everyone else would be down the court and here would come Summer thundering along. She could do some damage once she got there, though, if the rest of the action hadn't moved back in the other direction.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 10/29/14 7:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Summer Erb is a dirty word 'round THESE parts. Smile

PostPosted: 10/29/14 8:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Summer Erb is a dirty word 'round THESE parts. Smile

Is that because of the 98 NCAA tournament?

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/29/14 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:

In track terms, some people just have slower leg turnover than others. That's genetic, and has to do with the type of muscle fibers and muscle-nerve connections one is born with. You can see that Ekmark and Butler are straining with effort but just have slow turnover.

Discussions about KML have always been somewhat contentious and unilluminating because many people try to be politically correct or diplomatic by using terms such as "conditioning" or "in shape", when the issue is really an overweight condition that has continuously plagued her since her junior year in high school, when she used to look like this:

A person can be well "conditioned" and "in shape" from a strength, anaerobic and, to a degree, even from an aerobic standpoint but still be overweight. However, an overweight condition in basketball will affect speed, quickness, elevation and endurance, and will also put increased stress on knees and ankles. I believe Maya Moore, for example, said before last season that losing some weight improved her in those areas including her knee pains.
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 10/29/14 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

A person can be well "conditioned" and "in shape" from a strength, anaerobic and, to a degree, even from an aerobic standpoint but still be overweight. However, an overweight condition in basketball will affect speed, quickness, elevation and endurance, and will also put increased stress on knees and ankles. I believe Maya Moore, for example, said before last season that losing some weight improved her in those areas including her knee pains.

Thank you! My comment had more to do with the fact that she is clearly not any leaner than she used to be; and less to do with her actual performance. 20-30 pounds is a lot of extra weight for even the strongest person to lug around all day.

Case-in-point: Courtney Paris. One of the most dominant players in the HISTORY of college basketball, but struggled to even make professional teams for five years after graduating, let alone have an impact. Then, she slimmed down over the last off-season and was one of the most improved players in the WNBA. Unless KML does something about her weight, I predict that she will struggle at the next level much the same way that Paris did.

linkster

PostPosted: 10/30/14 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:

Case-in-point: Courtney Paris. One of the most dominant players in the HISTORY of college basketball, but struggled to even make professional teams for five years after graduating, let alone have an impact. Then, she slimmed down over the last off-season and was one of the most improved players in the WNBA. Unless KML does something about her weight, I predict that she will struggle at the next level much the same way that Paris did.

Paris was doubled over gagging for air after 10 minutes of the first half of most of her games. I've never seen Lewis's play ever deteriorate due to her being winded. There's lots of speculation here about what she would be capable of if her weight was reduced but to compare her to Paris' level of conditioning is a gross exaggeration. IMO Lewis plays a lot like Charles (the round mound of rebound) Barkley did in college. Both looked to be out of shape but their play wasn't. Barkley lost weight later in his career but it didn't enhance his play, it only took stress off his legs.

chienboo

PostPosted: 10/30/14 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

......"In track terms, some people just have slower leg turnover than others. That's genetic, and has to do with the type of muscle fibers and muscle-nerve connections one is born with. You can see that Ekmark and Butler are straining with effort but just have slow turnover.".......

It has to do with more than muscle fibre (fast twitch slow twitch). It has to do more with body types. eg: endomorph, mesomorph, ectomorph. Either of these body types can have either fast twitch or slow tich muscle. I would consider KML an ectomorph with considerable fast twitch muscle. Her body type precludes her from being truly fast, but she does have quick muscle response in short bursts thus her abiity to react and rebound.
Branna Stewart would be considered an endomorph, and Bria Hartly would be considered a mesomorh. As stated either body type can have either fast or slow twitch muscles.... Wink Wink Wink

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 10/30/14 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So does that make Moriah Jefferson a smurfymorph?

PostPosted: 10/30/14 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NO Smile Smile Smile It makes her a morphy-smurf... Wink Wink Wink

linkster

PostPosted: 10/31/14 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's a video of Lewis from her senior year. She looked much heavier 4 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk2ebpTa9Uw

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/31/14 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Here's a video of Lewis from her senior year. She looked much heavier 4 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk2ebpTa9Uw

That's a 4:3 video where everything's been artificially stretched to 16:9, which widens everything including people. KML really wasn't as big in her HS senior year as that video suggests.

Here's the Gatorade POY video in native 16:9, which shows KML more accurately.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/z54PVDRdsYk?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
linkster

PostPosted: 10/31/14 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4:3 16:9

I can't even figure out how to post a video. So I guess that only indicates that 2 dimensional images aren't reliable.

I stood 6 feet from Lewis at MSG last year and I'll believe what I saw in 3 dimensions.

What I find interesting is the fact that while she led UConn in scoring in her first 2 years, and is generally acknowledged as one of the best pure shooters in the game, the vast majority of posts concerning her on this board are focused on her weight. When I go to a museum to look at a masterpiece, I don't spend most of my time critiquing the frame it's in.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/31/14 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

I can't even figure out how to post a video.

This site has no video tags to embed videos. Here's how to do it:

- Right click on the video you want to post.
- Select "copy embed code". That will copy the video's location code.
- Paste the code into the text box here.
- When you hit "Preview" the video itself should be embedded.
ucdt3

PostPosted: 11/01/14 9:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Sad that Chong is slower than the 2 players recovering from knee surgery. 1/2's are supposed to be quicker than 3/4's. Just shows that you you can't trust those high school pundits. Rolling Eyes

But the results might have been different if they had to dribble a ball.

And yet Geno, the Hall of Famer & US National team coach, said at AAC Media Day that Chong has been THEE best player in practice over the first 8-9 practices (and Mo Jeff is close second).

Soooooooooooooooo.....not sure how much running a sprint slower than teammates makes much of a difference in the grand scheme of things. I care more about defense, not turning the ball over, rebounding, and putting the ball in the hoop WAY MORE and I'm sure Geno does as well. You could be the faster player in the world and not know how to score or be the slowest (aka Danielle Adams) and be great at it because of your high bball IQ.

#justsayin
ucdt3

PostPosted: 11/01/14 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
What I find interesting is the fact that while she led UConn in scoring in her first 2 years, and is generally acknowledged as one of the best pure shooters in the game, the vast majority of posts concerning her on this board are focused on her weight. When I go to a museum to look at a masterpiece, I don't spend most of my time critiquing the frame it's in.

X _______________________
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: