RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Stanford's new look, new offense

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis1361

PostPosted: 10/30/14 7:54 pm    ::: Stanford's new look, new offense Reply Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/11781932/new-era-brings-new-offense-stanford-cardinal

"After more than a decade, Stanford's triangle offense has been relegated to a binder on the shelf.

For years, coach Tara VanDerveer ran the offense through the likes of Brooke Smith, Jayne Appel and Nneka and Chiney Ogwumike. But this season's Cardinal team has fast guards and young frontcourt players who can run the floor -- but whose skills aren't necessarily of the camp-down-in-the-block-and-make-a-living ilk. This is a team of shooters and movers, not bangers and down-low dominators.
(For full article see link above)

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/30/14 8:54 pm    ::: Re: Stanford's new look, new offense Reply Reply with quote

Dennis1361 wrote:
http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/11781932/new-era-brings-new-offense-stanford-cardinal

"After more than a decade, Stanford's triangle offense has been relegated to a binder on the shelf.

For years, coach Tara VanDerveer ran the offense through the likes of Brooke Smith, Jayne Appel and Nneka and Chiney Ogwumike. But this season's Cardinal team has fast guards and young frontcourt players who can run the floor -- but whose skills aren't necessarily of the camp-down-in-the-block-and-make-a-living ilk. This is a team of shooters and movers, not bangers and down-low dominators.
(For full article see link above)

I have wished forever to see more screening action by the bigs, so this is pretty exciting. Scary like she says, but exciting too.

- Amanda Gorman
Howee

PostPosted: 10/30/14 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I remember Tara once saying (after playing UNC or Oregon a while back) that she'd like to implement that run and gun style....and then, she never did. I s'pose that she didn't need to venture into new territory with indomitable anchors at the low post. Now? Time's up!....and here we GO!

I REALLY hope there's reasonable success with it: Tara has enough savvy as a coach that she can make it happen, and Stanford deserves a *fresh* look, too. Cool

PostPosted: 11/02/14 10:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For those who were not at game and in spite of fact it was an exhibition vs Vanguard it was impressive especially K. Johnson a 6' 3" Fr post who was very under rated ESPN rank of 30 is way higher than she should be.I figure aroud a 15-20

Link to Box http://www.gostanford.com//ViewContent.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=30600&CONTENT_ID=1011772

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 11/02/14 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dennis1361 wrote:
For those who were not at game and in spite of fact it was an exhibition vs Vanguard it was impressive especially K. Johnson a 6' 3" Fr post who was very under rated ESPN rank of 30 is way higher than she should be.I figure around a 15-20

Link to Box http://www.gostanford.com//ViewContent.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=30600&CONTENT_ID=1011772

That statement contradicts itself.

Dennis1361

PostPosted: 11/02/14 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Time out from your job picking fly specs out of pepper?

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/03/14 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dennis1361 wrote:
For those who were not at game and in spite of fact it was an exhibition vs Vanguard it was impressive especially K. Johnson a 6' 3" Fr post who was very under rated ESPN rank of 30 is way higher than she should be.I figure aroud a 15-20

Coming from Wyoming, she may not have been seen by many evaluators. But that sounds good. Hopefully she can perform against real competition and we will all be breathing some sighs of relief.

- Amanda Gorman
linkster

PostPosted: 11/03/14 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.stanforddaily.com/2014/11/02/womens-basketball-proves-depth-in-exhibition-rout-of-vanguard/?utm_campaign=Newsatme&utm_content=Women%27s%2Bbasketball%2Bproves%2Bdepth%2Bin%2Bexhibition%2Brout%2Bof%2BVanguard&utm_medium=news%40me&utm_source=mail%2Balert

A good recap of the Vanguard game.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/03/14 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
http://www.stanforddaily.com/2014/11/02/womens-basketball-proves-depth-in-exhibition-rout-of-vanguard/?utm_campaign=Newsatme&utm_content=Women%27s%2Bbasketball%2Bproves%2Bdepth%2Bin%2Bexhibition%2Brout%2Bof%2BVanguard&utm_medium=news%40me&utm_source=mail%2Balert

A good recap of the Vanguard game.

For Tara to say this, well it's unusual, and a good sign:

"We had four different people in double figures and I think they’re going to get better,” VanDerveer said. “We’re just scratching the surface of how good we’re going to be.”

- Amanda Gorman
umbeta1455

PostPosted: 11/03/14 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's nice to se a coach who can change coaching styles based on the personnel. If Joanne McCallie had learned how to do this she might have actual won't championship with the ridiculous talent she recruits.

Howee

PostPosted: 11/03/14 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Dennis1361 wrote:

Coming from Wyoming, she may not have been seen by many evaluators. But that sounds good. Hopefully she can perform against real competition and we will all be breathing some sighs of relief.

We'll see, of course, how her performance holds up as the season tests her, but it's always nice to see a Big First Game for any rookie.

It's also VERY nice to see Lilli start the season off *hot*! Speaking of under-rated....she was not that highly regarded as a recruit, right? Nice to see her shine, too!

PostPosted: 11/03/14 11:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think Lili Thompson was in Hoopgurlz's Top 100

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 11/04/14 1:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lilli Thompson flew under most recruiting services radar screens as she moved during her high school career from Hawai'i to Texas I believe. How Tara found her, I'm not sure--but she's proving to be a great get thus far.

Phil

PostPosted: 11/04/14 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Dennis1361 wrote:
For those who were not at game and in spite of fact it was an exhibition vs Vanguard it was impressive especially K. Johnson a 6' 3" Fr post who was very under rated ESPN rank of 30 is way higher than she should be.I figure around a 15-20

That statement contradicts itself.

I read this is 30 is higher than it should be, 15-20. Not the best phrasing to be sure, we normally refer to higher numbers as lower rating not higher, but understandable.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 11/04/14 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looking forward to new-look CardS... in a mere 13 days!

PostPosted: 11/06/14 12:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lili Thompson attended Punahou School in Hawaii the elite academic school in the state and amongst the best in the nation. And that is where she first appeared on the radar. After that we of course have string ties to Texas. She was missed by the personality parade of the rating services because she was a transfer student. In addition •Grandfather, George C. Thompson III is a Michigan High School Hall of Fame basketball coach and was a four-year letterwinner in football at Eastern Michigan, father played Division II basketball and was an All-European point guard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: