RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Predict your conference 2014-15
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 10/23/14 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, here's a guess at the CAA:

1. JMU
2. Drexel
3. Delaware
4. Hofstra
5. Towson
6. Elon
7-12 in no particular order because they are all pretty embarrassing, UNCW, Coll. of Charleston, Northeastern, and William & Mary.

Actually most of the conference is kind of embarrassing. The media picked Delaware second, but I don't know why. They were awful last year and I don't see that they have much more this year. Elon is actually an unknown quantity, coming in from the ECAC. Drexel and Hofstra are usually reasonably tough for JMU. But we have Hall, Giggetts, and Gwathmey, and they don't.

PostPosted: 10/23/14 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Well, here's a guess at the CAA:

1. JMU
2. Drexel
3. Delaware
4. Hofstra
5. Towson
6. Elon
7-12 in no particular order because they are all pretty embarrassing, UNCW, Coll. of Charleston, Northeastern, and William & Mary.

Actually most of the conference is kind of embarrassing. The media picked Delaware second, but I don't know why. They were awful last year and I don't see that they have much more this year. Elon is actually an unknown quantity, coming in from the ECAC. Drexel and Hofstra are usually reasonably tough for JMU. But we have Hall, Giggetts, and Gwathmey, and they don't.

I think JMU will actually improve next year. They have a big class coming in and most of them are really good. If they all make it should be looking sweet 16ish.

ball4life

PostPosted: 10/23/14 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
My ACC prediction

1 Notre Dame
2 UNC
3 Duke
4 Louisville
5 Syracuse
6 Florida State
7 Georgia Tech

Next Tier (no particular order)
UVA
NC ST
Miami
Wake Forest

Bottom Tier (no particular order)
Virginia Tech
Boston College
Clemson
Pittsburgh

I have them 2 spots lower, but other than that, you're spot on. I just question if they can finish above those other 2 unless Sykes is 100% healthy. Butler is good enough to carry them through their easier games, but they need someone to step up at point and down low if they're gonna finish that high. I can't see Duke finishing below 3rd, Johnson & Greenwell are going to be a surprisingly good backcourt to go along with all those posts. Allisha Gray is going to be an AA this year (and will go on to dominate DeShields if they ever play ). Laughing

Syracuse is in shambles, Sykes may play by conference time I doubt that she will redshirt the year. Team chemistry is poor. Butler is much better than a 3 point shooter but doesn't get to show it. I'm not having a good feeling about this season for them. Picking them 9-10.

Miami's recruiting has taking a nose dive after losing Williams and Strickland. Bringing in girls that aren't that good and passing on talented players thinking they had players locked up has back fired pick them 9-11.

caejal44

PostPosted: 10/23/14 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jlcarter wrote:
SEC
Tennessee
South Carolina
Texas A&M
Kentucky
Vanderbilt
LSU
Florida
Auburn
Alabama
Missouri
Mississippi State
Ole Miss

Are Georgia and Arkansas no longer allowed to play? Very Happy

My SEC prediction:

South Carolina
Tennessee
Kentucky
Texas A & M
Georgia
Vanderbilt
LSU
Florida
Auburn
Missouri
Mississippi State
Alabama
Arkansas
Ole Miss

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 10/23/14 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ball4life wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
My ACC prediction

1 Notre Dame
2 UNC
3 Duke
4 Louisville
5 Syracuse
6 Florida State
7 Georgia Tech

Next Tier (no particular order)
UVA
NC ST
Miami
Wake Forest

Bottom Tier (no particular order)
Virginia Tech
Boston College
Clemson
Pittsburgh

I have them 2 spots lower, but other than that, you're spot on. I just question if they can finish above those other 2 unless Sykes is 100% healthy. Butler is good enough to carry them through their easier games, but they need someone to step up at point and down low if they're gonna finish that high. I can't see Duke finishing below 3rd, Johnson & Greenwell are going to be a surprisingly good backcourt to go along with all those posts. Allisha Gray is going to be an AA this year (and will go on to dominate DeShields if they ever play ). Laughing

Syracuse is in shambles, Sykes may play by conference time I doubt that she will redshirt the year. Team chemistry is poor. Butler is much better than a 3 point shooter but doesn't get to show it. I'm not having a good feeling about this season for them. Picking them 9-10.

Miami's recruiting has taking a nose dive after losing Williams and Strickland. Bringing in girls that aren't that good and passing on talented players thinking they had players locked up has back fired pick them 9-11.

Georgia Tech will be interesting as well. Lots of defections and 6 in moving frosh. Of course they have Kaela Davis. MaJo's recruiting has changed drastically. While she has always catered international kids (the current team featureS ), the three US kids are from north of the mason-Dixon. Likewise, she has verbals for 2015 from 2 Philly kids. Has she alienates target rich Georgia?

leeshajo

PostPosted: 10/23/14 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtrain34 wrote:
purdue: Agree completely...I just can't see these schools being able to sustain this financially for more than a couple of years.

Two related things do help prop up the conference:

1. As long as they keep six-plus schools from year to year, the WAC has automatic bids to the NCAA MBB and WBB tournaments. That's a draw for schools like Chi State and UMKC who came from non-bid leagues or D2 move up Grand Canyon.

2. The NCAA pays out the tournament shares over time to conferences based on how many games its teams play. Even though the WAC has not been a big success in post-season, the on-going teams, which come to think about it may be down to NMSU and perhaps Seattle inherited the shares of outgoing teams like LaTech, Fresno, Utah State that have not been fully paid out yet.[/quote]

Just to clarify...Chicago State was an independent. UMKC came from the Summit (and rumor says is returning after this year)

PostPosted: 10/23/14 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

leeshajo wrote:
UMKC came from the Summit (and rumor says is returning after this year)

I have heard that rumor as well but couldn't corroborate it. It was absolutely foolish to leave in the first place. I could never understand why they made that move.

ladydawgs96

PostPosted: 10/24/14 8:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jlcarter wrote:
SEC
Tennessee
South Carolina
Texas A&M
Kentucky
Vanderbilt
LSU
Florida
Auburn
Alabama
Missouri
Mississippi State
Ole Miss

Here's my guess

South Carolina
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
Texas A & M
Kentucky
Arkansas
Georgia
Auburn
LSU
Mississippi State
Florida
Missouri
Alabama
Ole Miss

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/24/14 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just curious why you SEC folks put Vandy middle high. It seems like they've struggled the last few years. Do they have a good Frosh class or what?

- Amanda Gorman
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/24/14 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Just curious why you SEC folks put Vandy middle high. It seems like they've struggled the last few years. Do they have a good Frosh class or what?

I had the same question.

Maybe it's just an annual ritual. They seem to be over rated every year about this time and never live up to their advance billing.

At the same time I'm a little surprised how low UGA was placed. They seem to generally over-perform (but in recent years have been unable to get over the hump to return to the land of the elite like in the 80s and 90s).

ladydawgs96

PostPosted: 10/24/14 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Before Rebecca Dahlman went down with blood-clot issues, Vandy was a team that appeared to be one that would challenge for the SEC title. After that, they did fall apart. In addition to Dahlman, they have 5 freshmen that were ranked in the top 100, so I think they'll be able to fill in for Foggie and Lister without losing too much. The biggest difference to me is that this year they will actually have some height in the line-up that should help them. Rather relying on 6-1 Marqu'es Webb to be the 5 and 5-10 Morgan Batey to play the 4, they have the twins from Canada who I think are 6' 3" and 6'4" Kendall Shaw.

I think they are on par with the middle schools like Georgia, Florida, LSU , Arkansas and Auburn. I don't think that Vandy can beat South Carolina in Columbia or Tennessee in Knoxville. Other than that, I think they have a pretty favorable schedule with many of the tougher games in conference being at their funky court.

ladydawgs96

PostPosted: 10/24/14 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

At the same time I'm a little surprised how low UGA was placed. They seem to generally over-perform (but in recent years have been unable to get over the hump to return to the land of the elite like in the 80s and 90s).

Georgia has a point guard issue. Last year, we had to rely on a 2 guard, Khalidaah Miller to run the point, because the heir apparent to Jasmine James, Marjorie Butler, was unable to run the offense or handle pressure and Sydnei McCaskill wasn't there as a freshman. From preseason interviews, it sounds like they still haven't settled on a point guard. They brought in a 5'4" JUCO player (mainly because her brother is a 5-star football player IMO) and Jasmine Carter to help. On the Italy trip, Landers played the freshman a lot and this may have been to see who could handle the point better. I think on defense, UGA will do well, it is just the offense needs a steady point guard.

And1

PostPosted: 10/24/14 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ladydawgs96 wrote:
Jlcarter wrote:
SEC
Tennessee
South Carolina
Texas A&M
Kentucky
Vanderbilt
LSU
Florida
Auburn
Alabama
Missouri
Mississippi State
Ole Miss

Here's my guess

South Carolina
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
Texas A & M
Kentucky
Arkansas
Georgia
Auburn
LSU
Mississippi State
Florida
Missouri
Alabama
Ole Miss

I would say:

1. Tennessee
2. Texas A&M
3. South Carolina
4. Kentucky
5. LSU
6. Georgia
7. Vanderbilt
the rest is a toss up.

I think South Carolina is being way overrated, they have a lot to prove before they can be considered an elite program, plus in my view they do not have the guard play needed to be on top. Yes, they won the regular season last year, but they clunked out in the tourney, basically because they have no outside shooting or good guards besides Mitchell, and even she is a bit overrated as she disappears during games.

Tennessee should have more balance this year, even though they are a bit thin in the post, but they have better guards than SC. The key is development of Graves and keeping Harrison out of foul trouble. They have several decent outside shooters, as opposed to SC. Overall I think they are the most balanced team.

I think Texas A&M is the sleeper because they probably have the best guards in Courtney Walker and Jordan Jones, but they lack an inside presence.

Oh, and let me add that I HOPE Alabama finishes last after how they treated Daisha Simmons. Kristi Curry is a mess.

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 10/24/14 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And1 wrote:
ladydawgs96 wrote:
Jlcarter wrote:
SEC
Tennessee
South Carolina
Texas A&M
Kentucky
Vanderbilt
LSU
Florida
Auburn
Alabama
Missouri
Mississippi State
Ole Miss

Here's my guess

South Carolina
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
Texas A & M
Kentucky
Arkansas
Georgia
Auburn
LSU
Mississippi State
Florida
Missouri
Alabama
Ole Miss

I would say:

1. Tennessee
2. Texas A&M
3. South Carolina
4. Kentucky
5. LSU
6. Georgia
7. Vanderbilt
the rest is a toss up.

I think South Carolina is being way overrated, they have a lot to prove before they can be considered an elite program, plus in my view they do not have the guard play needed to be on top. Yes, they won the regular season last year, but they clunked out in the tourney, basically because they have no outside shooting or good guards besides Mitchell, and even she is a bit overrated as she disappears during games.

Tennessee should have more balance this year, even though they are a bit thin in the post, but they have better guards than SC. The key is development of Graves and keeping Harrison out of foul trouble. They have several decent outside shooters, as opposed to SC. Overall I think they are the most balanced team.

I think Texas A&M is the sleeper because they probably have the best guards in Courtney Walker and Jordan Jones, but they lack an inside presence.

Oh, and let me add that I HOPE Alabama finishes last after how they treated Daisha Simmons. Kristi Curry is a mess.

Clunked out in the tourney to one of the most dangerous squads in the nation in a dynamic North Carolina team that was gelling under Diamond DeShield with the freshmen. Hmmmmm....I mean, it wasn't what they expected to achieve, but it's not like South Carolina lost to a Georgia or Ball State. I'll also point out that the only SEC team to advance further than South Carolina in the tourney last year was Texas A&M. The teams that Texas A&M beat to get to the Regional Final were Depaul, James Madison and North Dakota. The highest seed that an SEC Team beat come tourney time was LSU's upset of a West Virginia team that has historically underperformed in NCAA's. While I agree that South Carolina still has a lot to prove, claiming that they clunked out in NCAA's is going a bit far, given that the rest of the SEC didn't exactly perform up to standards either. If Tennessee-Martin had been able to knock out UNC in the first round, we'd be singing a different tune right now.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/24/14 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule summed that up about S. Carolina quite well. Plus the reality is that they (unique among the top teams) have absolutely everyone back from a very good team, players like Coates have a year of experience, and they add perhaps the best, or if not, certainly one of the top three, recruiting classes which includes even more talented size in Wilson and White. S.Car. has the deepest front line talent in the country, and probably the biggest.

It is correct that if they have a flaw it is at the guard position, and that may well be their undoing, but personally I don't agree that we should ignore the reality of their roster just because they didn't win anything last year. They were a pretty darn good team. They finished 29-5 and ranked 9th, which was one spot behind Tenn, and right in front of aTm and Ky. They lost less and gained more than any of those three teams in the off season.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 10/24/14 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
FollowtheCardinalRule summed that up about S. Carolina quite well. Plus the reality is that they (unique among the top teams) have absolutely everyone back from a very good team, players like Coates have a year of experience, and they add perhaps the best, or if not, certainly one of the top three, recruiting classes which includes even more talented size in Wilson and White. S.Car. has the deepest front line talent in the country, and probably the biggest.

It is correct that if they have a flaw it is at the guard position, and that may well be their undoing, but personally I don't agree that we should ignore the reality of their roster just because they didn't win anything last year. They were a pretty darn good team. They finished 29-5 and ranked 9th, which was one spot behind Tenn, and right in front of aTm and Ky. They lost less and gained more than any of those three teams in the off season.

I don't know. Losing Simmons might be the best thing that has happened to Tennessee in awhile. Lol!

noleman

PostPosted: 10/24/14 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ACC:

1. ND- Best coach and player in the league..
2. UNC- Lost deshields but return everyone else (basically have less question marks than the rest of the teams)..

The 3-5 is difficult to pick imo, because they all lost a lot and have question marks entering the season.

3. Louisville- Schimml, Smith, Hammond form a solid trio after losing Sho-time and Co. to graduation
4. Duke- Johnson isnt Jones but i think she will be fine, will need greenwell and calhoun to play well.
5. FSU- Lost best player in school history and starting pg, but return 3 starters and some talented transfers and freshmen.

These 3 teams all have pretty good guard play but will need inside help

6. GT - The backcourt of Davis, Wallace, and Whiteside is dangerous, If they get good post production, they will be higher.
7. Syracuse - Sykes health
8. Miami - Will need Mcguire to finally take it to that next level.

9. NCST
10. UVA
11. WF
12. Clemson
13. BC
14. VT
15. Pitt

Howee

PostPosted: 10/25/14 12:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Los Doce Grandes.
Les Douze Gros.
Die Großen Zwölf.

THE BIG TWELVE! Very Happy
This is undoubtedly my favorite conference, and I've followed them long. And hard. But, unlike any other year for me, I really don't have a clear grasp on what to expect. However, given that I enjoy 'predicting', and I'll enjoy (?) coming back to this in April....I'll give it a 'go'. Cool

1. Texas
2. WVU
3. Oklahoma
4. Baylor
5. OK State
6. KS
7. Iowa State
8. Kansas State
9. TCU
10.TX Tech

....or NOT. Razz

PostPosted: 10/25/14 8:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

I don't know. Losing Simmons might be the best thing that has happened to Tennessee in awhile. Lol!

Right, as much as I liked Simmons' competitiveness, I think they are going to be better off. I think Massengale has even alluded to it in her own way, saying that they are finally "listening" to the coaches this year.

Also, I wasn't just referring to SC losing in the NCAA, which was bad enough, as NC was basically a bunch of freshman, they also lost to Kentucky in the SEC tourney, so they have much to prove IMO. It takes more than a bunch of post players to win a championship.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 10/25/14 9:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ladydawgs96 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Before Rebecca Dahlman went down with blood-clot issues, Vandy was a team that appeared to be one that would challenge for the SEC title. After that, they did fall apart. In addition to Dahlman, they have 5 freshmen that were ranked in the top 100, so I think they'll be able to fill in for Foggie and Lister without losing too much. The biggest difference to me is that this year they will actually have some height in the line-up that should help them. Rather relying on 6-1 Marqu'es Webb to be the 5 and 5-10 Morgan Batey to play the 4, they have the twins from Canada who I think are 6' 3" and 6'4" Kendall Shaw.

I think they are on par with the middle schools like Georgia, Florida, LSU , Arkansas and Auburn. I don't think that Vandy can beat South Carolina in Columbia or Tennessee in Knoxville. Other than that, I think they have a pretty favorable schedule with many of the tougher games in conference being at their funky court.

Vandy may have good players, but I really question their coaching. Balcomb has never shown me that much. I think her best teams wore an X and not a V.

PostPosted: 10/25/14 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My preseason guess is that the SEC will finish almost surprisingly similar to last season. I decided to predict the records instead of placement because I fully expect 5 through 13 to be a complete mess just like last year. Mississippi State is the team I have my eye that might make the biggest jump. Vivians is my preseason pick for SEC FOY.

14-2 S Carolina
13-3 Tennessee
12-4 Texas A&M
11-5 Kentucky
9-7 Georgia
8-8 Florida
8-8 Miss State
8-8 Vanderbilt
7-9 LSU
6-10 Auburn
5-11 Alabama
5-11 Arkansas
5-11 Missouri
1-15 Ole Miss

dinkytown

PostPosted: 10/25/14 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Big Ten

1. Nebraska
2. Maryland
3. Michigan State
4. Iowa
5. Minnesota
6. Rutgers
7. Penn State
8. Ohio State
9. Purdue
10. Michigan
11. Illinois
12. Indiana
13. Northwestern
14. Wisconsin

I'm very confused heading into the new Big Ten season with the addition of 2 teams who could compete for the conference title. I don't think there is a dominating team. Final standings WILL be different I'm sure, but I think 1-4 will stay in the same range. I know Iowa is getting a lot of love but they seem to drop a few games they shouldn't and I don't trust them finishing Top 3. 5-10 could go anywhere. Illinois is a toss up but I think 12-14 are the weakest teams.

beknighted

PostPosted: 10/25/14 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I predict that Rutgers will be in the Big Ten.

Oh, you wanted standings? I'm not even going to guess. I haven't the slightest idea.

RP

PostPosted: 10/25/14 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And1 wrote:
Right, as much as I liked Simmons' competitiveness, I think they are going to be better off. I think Massengale has even alluded to it in her own way, saying that they are finally "listening" to the coaches this year.

Also, I wasn't just referring to SC losing in the NCAA, which was bad enough, as NC was basically a bunch of freshman, they also lost to Kentucky in the SEC tourney, so they have much to prove IMO. It takes more than a bunch of post players to win a championship.

So, what do you make of Tennessee's losses to Maryland, Kentucky (at home), Vanderbilt, and LSU? Against Maryland, Carter shot 0-6, Reynolds 1-5 and Burdick 1-4. Simmons was by far Tennessee's best player that day.

Staley now has McDonald's All-Americans to turn to if her starting point guard and small forward are ineffective, which was always SC's undoing against top teams on the road.

My prediction:

1. South Carolina
2. Tennessee
3. Texas A&M
4. Kentucky
5. Florida
6. Georgia
7. Auburn
8. Mississippi State
9. Arkansas
10. LSU
11. Vanderbilt
12. Missouri
13. Alabama
14. Ole Miss

hyperetic

PostPosted: 10/25/14 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jlcarter wrote:
SEC
Tennessee
South Carolina
Texas A&M
Kentucky
Vanderbilt
LSU
Florida
Auburn
Alabama
Missouri
Mississippi State
Ole Miss

Dang, you think Arkansas will be so bad they will be exorcised from the conference? Personally, I wasn't too sure about the Jimmy Dyke's hire. The news of McKenzie Adams leaving the team wasn't great news either. But I am not willing to throw in the towel on them yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: