RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Does anyone know anything about Kyla Irwin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 10/21/14 7:50 pm    ::: Does anyone know anything about Kyla Irwin Reply Reply with quote

Class of 2016. She just committed to UCONN. I can't find anything anywhere other than the blurbs on SNY and the Hartford Courant which gave more information about her mom than her. Nothing. Nunca nada on the recruiting sites I checked. Anyone?

Last edited by Oldfandepot2 on 10/21/14 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/21/14 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HERE'S an article that includes two videos of Irwin. (You've got her last name spelled wrong.)
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/21/14 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Irwin is not ranked in the ESPN HoopGurlz top 60, but is the 11th ranked post and gets a grade of 90 with three stars.

She's not ranked in the 200 players on Prospect Nation's all player list for 2016.

She's not ranked by Blue Star among their 44 ranked 2016 players, but Mark Lewis has evaluated her three times in three years:

Hershey 2012: "There seems to be a new wave of big, strong and physical post players on the way. One of the young standouts fitting that build in Hershey was Kyla Irwin of the Blue Thunder. Shes solid and plays an aggressive game at 6-1. Theres no hesitancy about putting to work her physical tools and the State College, Pa. native is offering up some play thats going to impress more college coaches than the ones already aware of her potential. In addition to being effective down low shes got some ballhandling in place and one of the best outlet passes in club or high school basketball. Not many players still throw the baseball pass but Irwin will pull a defensive board and throw it to halfcourt on a line that triggers a fast break thats a challenge to contain. Obviously at her age theres plenty to work on but this is someone to keep a close watch on the next several years."

Hershey 2013: "Recruiters will tell you its difficult to find a prospect thats a true forwardnot a wing, not a postjust a #4. If well-established Kyla Irwin (Lemont, Pa. - South Central Select) embraces that role she can set her own limits. Possessing size, build and strength, shes already a factor from the block to the perimeter and nightmare for defensive match ups. Shes active and a factor in both transition and halfcourt sets. Her skills extend from solid post moves, to a very efficient midrange game and ultimately the ability to spot up on the perimeter. Theres some ballhandling that helps her get to the rim, clear a rebound or improve passing angles. Irwin seems to be still figuring how to best use her strength but seems to have no problem putting it to work when things get physical on both ends of the floor. Where she is now is not nearly as interesting as it will be to see where she takes her game over the next year."

USJN-Nike 2014: "Kyla Irwin 2016 6-1 Forward Central Pa. Elite Lemont, Pa. Has been on the map for some time and proves her elite status by the continual refinement of her game. Beyond the skills and tools weve written of before you have to take notice of her work ethic and approach. Go a step further and watch her on the bench and you know that all the intangibles are in place to go with a text book skill set. Reads defenders on the catch and makes good choices in her attack or passing decisions. She appears physically stronger these days and is more than willing to put it to use defensively and on the boards. Hard to imagine but Irwin is an elite player showing an even greater upside."

Irwin is either a secret talent find for UConn, or a something-other-than-pure-talent recruit, or a potential combination of several such factors. Whatever, she's certainly an October surprise for UConn fans.
Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 10/21/14 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks, Glenn.

PostPosted: 10/21/14 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Irwin is not ranked in the ESPN HoopGurlz top 60, but is the 11th ranked post and gets a grade of 90 with three stars.

She's not ranked in the 200 players on Prospect Nation's all player list for 2016.

She's not ranked by Blue Star among their 44 ranked 2016 players,

Irwin is either a secret talent find for UConn, or a something-other-than-pure-talent recruit, or a potential combination of several such factors. Whatever, she's certainly an October surprise for UConn fans.

FYI, She's not among the 66 players that Blue Star ranks in the 2016 class. (You just have to be a little bit creative to see 45-66.)

She is also probably not top 100 in ASGR either, as McCormick mentioned no ranking for her tonight in his tweet, but a week ago he tweeted that 2016 Bre Cera was ranked 93rd.

So I agree that Geno is either uncovering an underappreciated jewel, reaching for a player who displays some traits he admires, or some combination of the two. She certainly sounds tenacious!

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/21/14 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:

FYI, She's not among the 66 players that Blue Star ranks in the 2016 class. (You just have to be a little bit creative to see 45-66.)

Ah, so. Irwin was not even in the further Blue Star ranks denominated "300" and "400". I gave up looking for her after 35 pages in the "999's".
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 10/22/14 12:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Fighting Artichoke wrote:

Ah, so. Irwin was not even in the further Blue Star ranks denominated "300" and "400". I gave up looking for her after 35 pages in the "999's".

You ARE creative, just as I thought! And you are definitely more tenacious than me, as I stopped after 10 pages of 400's. I'm not sure we should trust the order after 66.

Beemer

PostPosted: 10/22/14 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

She's not ranked by Blue Star among their 44 ranked 2016 players, but Mark Lewis has evaluated her three times in three years:

Hershey 2012: "There seems to be a new wave of big, strong and physical post players on the way. One of the young standouts fitting that build in Hershey was Kyla Irwin of the Blue Thunder. Shes solid and plays an aggressive game at 6-1. Theres no hesitancy about putting to work her physical tools and the State College, Pa. native is offering up some play thats going to impress more college coaches than the ones already aware of her potential. In addition to being effective down low shes got some ballhandling in place and one of the best outlet passes in club or high school basketball. Not many players still throw the baseball pass but Irwin will pull a defensive board and throw it to halfcourt on a line that triggers a fast break thats a challenge to contain. Obviously at her age theres plenty to work on but this is someone to keep a close watch on the next several years."

Hershey 2013: "Recruiters will tell you its difficult to find a prospect thats a true forwardnot a wing, not a postjust a #4. If well-established Kyla Irwin (Lemont, Pa. - South Central Select) embraces that role she can set her own limits. Possessing size, build and strength, shes already a factor from the block to the perimeter and nightmare for defensive match ups. Shes active and a factor in both transition and halfcourt sets. Her skills extend from solid post moves, to a very efficient midrange game and ultimately the ability to spot up on the perimeter. Theres some ballhandling that helps her get to the rim, clear a rebound or improve passing angles. Irwin seems to be still figuring how to best use her strength but seems to have no problem putting it to work when things get physical on both ends of the floor. Where she is now is not nearly as interesting as it will be to see where she takes her game over the next year."

USJN-Nike 2014: "Kyla Irwin 2016 6-1 Forward Central Pa. Elite Lemont, Pa. Has been on the map for some time and proves her elite status by the continual refinement of her game. Beyond the skills and tools weve written of before you have to take notice of her work ethic and approach. Go a step further and watch her on the bench and you know that all the intangibles are in place to go with a text book skill set. Reads defenders on the catch and makes good choices in her attack or passing decisions. She appears physically stronger these days and is more than willing to put it to use defensively and on the boards. Hard to imagine but Irwin is an elite player showing an even greater upside."

Thank you for the info!

UConn has done this at least once before, signing an unknown player who had the potential to become a very good player.

Her name was Svetlana Abrosimova Wink

PostPosted: 10/22/14 11:11 am    ::: Irwin Reply Reply with quote

I saw Irwin play about a year and a half ago. I also got to talk to her. She seemed like a nice young lady. Her mother was a star at Penn State & PSU was not recruiting the daughter as of that time. I sensed Kyla was a little miffed as she lived in State College.

I suspect Geno also saw some positive off-court intangibles. On the court Irwin played hard & seemed to have a good understanding of the game. As of then, her skills were decent for a 4F but not special. I don't remember her as a center as I have seen her described as in some places.

I expect Irwin to be a UCONN back-up barring another outbreak of injuries. Remember UCONN has star recruits Collier and Samuelson coming in 2015 along with highly rated De'Janae Boykin, who I'm not quite as high on.

Another thing to remember is not every UCONN recruit has been that terrific (fairly recently - Johnson and Engeln) at Storrs although obviously more than enough have been very successful.

As for comparisons to Svet, Svet was more athletic than Irwin.

Anyone have a report on the UCONN freshmen? My guess is Nurse will be best but I liked Gabby Williams to be very good before her knee injury.

sammieee

PostPosted: 10/23/14 4:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not every one that Geno offers will be a Top 10-20 kid.

He offered both Samuelson sisters before getting Katie Lou (the best). They would probably get even less playing time if they had gone to UConn instead of Stanford. He also offered Haley Gorecki, who is rated in the 30's-50's range.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/23/14 8:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sammieee wrote:
He also offered Haley Gorecki, who is rated in the 30's-50's range.

I don't know anything about how good Irwin is, but I don't think Gorecki is a good comparison. Every year in every sport there are players for whom the view by "raters" do not correlate to the consensus view among major coaches. Gorecki was offered by Stanford, UConn, and obviously Duke, and reportedly over thirty other schools. Nothing I've read suggests a similar situation here. Geno obviously saw something he liked, but he doesn't appear to have a lot of company. He might be right.

Every year in football there are lots of recruits rated three stars who have offer lists that read like Alabama, Southern Cal, Ohio St, Notre Dame, Florida, Florida St, etc, that just leave you scratching your head as to how the offers and ratings could be so different.

The other reality is that when such players commit to one of those big time schools they typically start climbing up the ratings. The rating services are plainly influenced by the result and get on the bandwagon. She may not be rated today, but I fully expect that Irwin, having committed to UConn, will end up in everyone's top 50 or higher as the lists are revised, and probably in ASGR's top 20.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 10/23/14 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
The other reality is that when such players commit to one of those big time schools they typically start climbing up the ratings. The rating services are plainly influenced by the result and get on the bandwagon. She may not be rated today, but I fully expect that Irwin, having committed to UConn, will end up in everyone's top 50 or higher as the lists are revised, and probably in ASGR's top 20.

That is SO true! I have actually witnessed this type of thing occurring and not just for a kid that went to UConn but kids that have gone to many different schools. These evaluators all have buddies and they look out for them.

I have no doubt she will be a top 20 post player and a top 40-50 overall player when it's all said and done.

ClayK

PostPosted: 10/23/14 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conspiracy theories are always great, but I don't think anybody is Geno's buddy ...

As an evaluator, what you want to be is right, and you know that the elite programs spend much more time and money than you do looking at players -- so if UConn signs someone, they must be pretty good.

So it's not about making Geno look good, it's about not making yourself look bad. If you saw a player a couple times and weren't impressed, but the Power 5 professionals, who've seen her numerous times, all offer her, then you're probably going to move her up.

PostPosted: 10/23/14 10:12 pm    ::: Irwin - more opinion Reply Reply with quote

Two of my contacts saw Irwin play in 2014 (spring or summer eval period). I last saw her in 2013 when she had only completed freshman season.

Both contacts felt she was a BCS level recruit and that she played hard and smart. Both agree she is more power forward than center as a college prospect. Then things start to differ starting with height (6-0 to 6-2) and level of BCS play where Irwin could contribute. One thought Irwin could contribute at UCONN while the other thought she was much more likely to contribute to a non-championship level BCS school. It will be interesting to see which opinion is closer to reality after Irwin's first college season.

One thing I do agree on is that her being a UCONN recruit will very likely get her re-evaluated for the possibility of being more highly ranked.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 10/26/14 5:41 pm    ::: Sounds like Reply Reply with quote

. it was also the mothers dream school!

linkster

PostPosted: 10/26/14 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The last time UConn had a very strong class was with Stewart, Tuck and Jefferson. The following year they were only able to sign Chong while highly ranked players chose other schools. One factor for some may have been not wanting to sit for 3 years. UConn has what some think is another signature class coming in next year with Collier, Boykin, Samuelson and Butler. The fact that they were able to attract Dangerfield already exceeds the 2013 recruiting class ranking. UConn has all the pieces necessary to be in the FF for the next 4 -5 years they have have enough elite players through 16 so they are set till 18. What they need to do is find a few role players if they have one great skill and/or especially if they are versatile. Irwin, looks like she could, after 1+ years, be able to play in Geno's offense and especially play defense and rebound. But seems the type who would not let it change her attitude when she gets scrap minutes for a year. Geno likes coaches kids. But she has 2 HS/AAU seasons to either get better or to stagnate. Long way.

LegoMyEggo

PostPosted: 10/27/14 8:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She doesn't look much taller than the UConn coaches in that photo. Unless she has some really special qualities, it is going to be hard to establish herself as a 4 against other high level 4s. Maybe in most of the AAC she'll be fine.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 10/27/14 11:15 am    ::: Agreed Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
The last time UConn had a very strong class was with Stewart, Tuck and Jefferson. The following year they were only able to sign Chong while highly ranked players chose other schools. One factor for some may have been not wanting to sit for 3 years. UConn has what some think is another signature class coming in next year with Collier, Boykin, Samuelson and Butler. The fact that they were able to attract Dangerfield already exceeds the 2013 recruiting class ranking. UConn has all the pieces necessary to be in the FF for the next 4 -5 years they have have enough elite players through 16 so they are set till 18. What they need to do is find a few role players if they have one great skill and/or especially if they are versatile. Irwin, looks like she could, after 1+ years, be able to play in Geno's offense and especially play defense and rebound. But seems the type who would not let it change her attitude when she gets scrap minutes for a year. Geno likes coaches kids. But she has 2 HS/AAU seasons to either get better or to stagnate. Long way.

Sometimes it is just a fit.

stever

PostPosted: 01/14/15 6:30 pm    ::: For Irwin, Love of the Game is a Driving Force Reply Reply with quote

http://www.statecollege.com/news/local-news/for-irwin-love-of-the-game-is-a-driving-force,1462389/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: