RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Your team, your perspective
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howee

PostPosted: 10/20/14 10:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
My team has the somewhat bizarre roster of four seniors and eight freshpersons. I have no idea how good they will be.

Funny. I've never heard of such an experiential gap! Combined with some....unusual!....names (Brittnee Broadway?), yes, it is a bit bizarre. Shocked

Is the Big Girl (Teanna) any good?

PostPosted: 10/20/14 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Is the Big Girl (Teanna) any good?

For defense and rebounding, yes. She's got no offense. All of her scoring is on put backs from O-Boards.

PostPosted: 10/20/14 10:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="leeshajo"]South Dakota State (I kind of wrote a book, sorry

)[/quote

I am bibliophile so thank you so much for taking the time. I am sorry about the injury to Gabby and like you said it really sucks. Wish her all the best and hopefully she will be back sooner than later.

PostPosted: 10/20/14 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jdub wrote:
AAOK423 wrote:
Louisville

Jude Schimmel- Once again out of her sisters shadow I expect Jude to have her best season yet. Ill be surprise if she doesn't earn a starting spot and if she does I imagine she will be moved from PG to SG with Smith starting at PG. Jude is quick on defense,a great passer, can dribble-drive, and also has long 3pt range. Jude will have to improve her mid-range game and her size (5'6") may be a problem with position change (but I doubt it).

I agree with most of your assessment, except for moving Jude to SG. I think she much better at running the offense than Bria. Bria was pressed into service at PG to free up Shoni. I think Bria's athleticism works better at the 2.

Last year the trio of Shoni, Slaughter and Gibbs accounted for 221 of 257 made 3-pointers. That output will be difficult to replace. I expect that with their depth at post, they will try to score inside more.

I didn't see any mention of Emmonnie Henderson. She is very strong and has a nice soft shooting touch. If she can keep her weight down and stay out of foul trouble, she can be a significant contributor.

I think freshmen Moore and Hines-Allen could contribute right away.

In this article Walz says Jude will be running the offense and is expected to play 30+ minutes - http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/louisville/2014/10/20/shadow-jude-schimmel-ready-shine/17639891/ also, apparently Jude will be Shoni's manager once she's done with graduate school, a random factoid included in the article.

Agree on Moore and Hines-Allen being the most important Freshman. Does anyone know if any of the Freshman are good 3-point shooters?

AAOK423

PostPosted: 10/20/14 11:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

buzzyb wrote:
Jdub wrote:
AAOK423 wrote:
Louisville

Jude Schimmel- Once again out of her sisters shadow I expect Jude to have her best season yet. Ill be surprise if she doesn't earn a starting spot and if she does I imagine she will be moved from PG to SG with Smith starting at PG. Jude is quick on defense,a great passer, can dribble-drive, and also has long 3pt range. Jude will have to improve her mid-range game and her size (5'6") may be a problem with position change (but I doubt it).

I agree with most of your assessment, except for moving Jude to SG. I think she much better at running the offense than Bria. Bria was pressed into service at PG to free up Shoni. I think Bria's athleticism works better at the 2.

Last year the trio of Shoni, Slaughter and Gibbs accounted for 221 of 257 made 3-pointers. That output will be difficult to replace. I expect that with their depth at post, they will try to score inside more.

I didn't see any mention of Emmonnie Henderson. She is very strong and has a nice soft shooting touch. If she can keep her weight down and stay out of foul trouble, she can be a significant contributor.

In this article Walz says Jude will be running the offense and is expected to play 30+ minutes - http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/louisville/2014/10/20/shadow-jude-schimmel-ready-shine/17639891/ also, apparently Jude will be Shoni's manager once she's done with graduate school, a random factoid included in the article.

Agree on Moore and Hines-Allen being the most important Freshman. Does anyone know if any of the Freshman are good 3-point shooters?

Id be happy with Jude running the offense. Either way they have two seniors who have PG experience and I think that's a good advantage to have. I seriously considered putting Emmonnie in my players to watch but i wanted to limit that to players who i thought were going to start. I see her as a contributor/ role player off the bench this year but as a serious threat to teams next year. She's strong, has good foot work, can run the floor, and has a great shot that is practically automatic. Last season her biggest problem was fouls and turnovers. She looks like she has lost weight though and weather its next year or her senior year i see her being a starter. From mix tapes ive watched and from what ive read Sydney Brackemyre and Moore can both hit the three, im not sure about the others.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 10/21/14 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Michigan State has been picked to finish second in the Big Ten. I think that may be a Tall task considering the likes of Maryland Iowa and Nebraska along with a couple other teams who feature an experienced complement of players. The Spartans will be led by a group of sophomores who had fantastic freshman seasons. Ariel Powers is predicted to be a first-team all-conference player and she led the team in scoring And rebounding last season. Fellow sophomore Tori Jankowska was second on the team in scoring and filled in for point guard when Kiana Johnson was suspended from the team. Both of these players will be in the starting lineup the season. Brandeis Agee Played significant minutes off the bench accruing more courttime as the season went on.

The team is going to have to deal with the graduation of Annalise Pickrell. The 6'3" forward may have been the most versatile player on the team; third in scoring,second in rebounds, Third in assists And among the leaders in steals and three-point shooter. It will be a team effort to replace what she brought to the team. Senior forwards Becca Mills and Jasmine Hines will be big contributors in the post. Madison Williams is still with the team and Coming up another injury suffered last spring. She is a Model of resiliency for this team.

Justin Lumpkins is a highly ranked First year player who will be relied on to make a big impact for this team as depth will be an issue. I will be surprised if the Spartans end of second in the conference but I do think they should make the NCAA's easily.

Nodak - you may not have seen this from B1G media day:

Q. Yeah, I do. How healthy is your team now? Do you have any physical
problems?
COACH MERCHANT: Yes, we have physical problems.
As many of you know, I get asked a lot about Madison Williams.
She's had four ACLs and a total of seven surgeries.
Just had another one on Thursday to clean some things up.
So bless her heart.

She's really in a place right now where
she's just trying to be able to live a normal life,
honestly, not wake up in pain. And we lost
Branndais Agee this summer, who had a great
postseason, really second half of the season, but
great postseason for her. She blew her ACL in the
summer. That's been a little frustrating.

We've had some kids nicked up a little bit,
couple concussions here and there. I don't know,
maybe it's something in the water in East Lansing,
I'm not sure. We've had our share. But we're
coming back. Those two kids obviously will be out,
but everybody else is practicing and healthy at this
point and/or coming back.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 10/21/14 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
Michigan State has been picked to finish second in the Big Ten. I think that may be a Tall task considering the likes of Maryland Iowa and Nebraska along with a couple other teams who feature an experienced complement of players. The Spartans will be led by a group of sophomores who had fantastic freshman seasons. Ariel Powers is predicted to be a first-team all-conference player and she led the team in scoring And rebounding last season. Fellow sophomore Tori Jankowska was second on the team in scoring and filled in for point guard when Kiana Johnson was suspended from the team. Both of these players will be in the starting lineup the season. Brandeis Agee Played significant minutes off the bench accruing more courttime as the season went on.

The team is going to have to deal with the graduation of Annalise Pickrell. The 6'3" forward may have been the most versatile player on the team; third in scoring,second in rebounds, Third in assists And among the leaders in steals and three-point shooter. It will be a team effort to replace what she brought to the team. Senior forwards Becca Mills and Jasmine Hines will be big contributors in the post. Madison Williams is still with the team and Coming up another injury suffered last spring. She is a Model of resiliency for this team.

Justin Lumpkins is a highly ranked First year player who will be relied on to make a big impact for this team as depth will be an issue. I will be surprised if the Spartans end of second in the conference but I do think they should make the NCAA's easily.

Nodak - you may not have seen this from B1G media day:

Q. Yeah, I do. How healthy is your team now? Do you have any physical
problems?
COACH MERCHANT: Yes, we have physical problems.
As many of you know, I get asked a lot about Madison Williams.
She's had four ACLs and a total of seven surgeries.
Just had another one on Thursday to clean some things up.
So bless her heart.

She's really in a place right now where
she's just trying to be able to live a normal life,
honestly, not wake up in pain. And we lost
Branndais Agee this summer, who had a great
postseason, really second half of the season, but
great postseason for her. She blew her ACL in the
summer. That's been a little frustrating.

We've had some kids nicked up a little bit,
couple concussions here and there. I don't know,
maybe it's something in the water in East Lansing,
I'm not sure. We've had our share. But we're
coming back. Those two kids obviously will be out,
but everybody else is practicing and healthy at this
point and/or coming back.

FOUR ACLS? Good God, a kid that's had that many and is still playing is a serious liability....most of all to herself.

PostPosted: 10/21/14 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AAOK423 wrote:
buzzyb wrote:
Jdub wrote:
AAOK423 wrote:
Louisville

Id be happy with Jude running the offense. Either way they have two seniors who have PG experience and I think that's a good advantage to have. I seriously considered putting Emmonnie in my players to watch but i wanted to limit that to players who i thought were going to start. I see her as a contributor/ role player off the bench this year but as a serious threat to teams next year. She's strong, has good foot work, can run the floor, and has a great shot that is practically automatic. Last season her biggest problem was fouls and turnovers. She looks like she has lost weight though and weather its next year or her senior year i see her being a starter. From mix tapes ive watched and from what ive read Sydney Brackemyre and Moore can both hit the three, im not sure about the others.

Was able to watch Walz media day press conference from Monday - he essentially said Hines-Allen and Moore are head and shoulders above the other freshman. Vails and Dyer will most likely start a majority of games, but wouldn't be surprised to see Hines-Allen and Moore play a majority of minutes - especially since Vails/Dyer have had so many injuries in the last few years. And from the way Jude talked it seems like she'll be the go to 3-point shooter if they absolutely need one, with Moore and Hines-Allen apparently (according to Walz) being able to hit the occasional three. And yeah, if Henderson can stay at a reasonable weight I think she'll be an important person coming off the bench (and later years could potentially be a starter, but weight and fouls are a big concern).

Last season had a few blah moments, because the conference was just weak, but this season could be really exciting with some very good down to the wire games. Excited to see what the Louisville team will look like without Shoni, Slaughter, Gibbs, and Asia.

Beemer

PostPosted: 10/22/14 10:06 am    ::: Re: Your team, your perspective Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
This is great. Here is UCONN.

Strengths:

1. Star power. We have one of, if not the best, point guards, shooters and players in the nation. And they all play different positions.

2. Defense. Geno's teams always play great team defense. It might come along a little slower this year with all the new faces, but I expect it to be great again by seasons end.

3. Balance. We will be able to score from several different positions.

4. Guard depth. Hopefully we will be able to extend our defense full court.

5. 3-point shooting. We have some tremendous 3 point shooters. The only person who can't take and make them that will see regular minutes, is Stokes.

Weakness:

1. Post depth. We are very thin in the post and losing Dolson is huge. Every bot of that offense ran through her and her versatility as a post player. She could pass, score inside, set a nasty pick and hit from the elbow. Kiah Stokes can do none of that as well as she can.

2. Relying on the freshman. Our freshman are good, but they are freshman. Enough said.

3. Target. We have a target on our backs and have a lot of pressure to keep the NC's going. How will the freshman respond?

I think your assessment of UConn's weaknesses is spot on particularly with respect to the posts.

Losing Dolson is going to hurt. Her playing & leadership abilities won't be easily replaced. Stokes has some mighty big shoes to fill this season and I hope she can rise to the challenge. Plus there is no true back up if she goes down with an injury [God forbid].

PostPosted: 10/22/14 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Posted a lot of this under the SEC thread, but here is a quick, short analysis on the LSU Lady Tigers:

I love my LSU Lady Tigers, but I think they're going to struggle this season. Danielle Ballard and Raygiene Moncrief are solid but I'm not 100% sold on any player after that unfortunately. Boykin and Pedersen are veterans but have yet to really shine. Boykin is physical but she has yet to break out into the player she was recruited to be and that may be due to her illness a year ago. I hope this year is her year. Youngblood is a wildcard literally and figuratively. I think it will all depend on Jasmine Rhodes and Dashawn Harden following up last years strong but spotty performances with good consistent guard play. A lot of new, fresh, unproven faces after that....

PostPosted: 10/22/14 12:39 pm    ::: Re: Your team, your perspective Reply Reply with quote

Beemer wrote:

Losing Dolson is going to hurt. Her playing & leadership abilities won't be easily replaced. Stokes has some mighty big shoes to fill this season and I hope she can rise to the challenge. Plus there is no true back up if she goes down with an injury [God forbid].

That, and Stokes is simply not nearly as big, either height-wise or weight-wise as Dolson.

Part of UConn's strength the last three years has been that they have been a big team. That has been particularly true in their matchups with Notre Dame, where UConn's height advantage has been substantial and significant (and was of course exacerbated greatly last year with Achonwa out with a knee injury). But even when Achonwa played, ND was much smaller than UConn. In the games they won, they made up for the lack of size with superior guard play. (It was also interesting against BYU where UConn struggled for a half against a vastly inferior BYU primarily because it was BYU that had a height advantage.)

This year, S. Carolina, Duke and ND will all be as tall or taller than UConn, and have a lot more front line depth (of course Duke has no guards, so their height probably will be wasted a lot). I think Dolson's loss is, in several respects, being substantially understated by many.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 10/22/14 1:55 pm    ::: Re: Your team, your perspective Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Beemer wrote:

That, and Stokes is simply not nearly as big, either height-wise or weight-wise as Dolson.

Part of UConn's strength the last three years has been that they have been a big team. That has been particularly true in their matchups with Notre Dame, where UConn's height advantage has been substantial and significant (and was of course exacerbated greatly last year with Achonwa out with a knee injury). But even when Achonwa played, ND was much smaller than UConn. In the games they won, they made up for the lack of size with superior guard play. (It was also interesting against BYU where UConn struggled for a half against a vastly inferior BYU primarily because it was BYU that had a height advantage.)

This year, S. Carolina, Duke and ND will all be as tall or taller than UConn, and have a lot more front line depth (of course Duke has no guards, so their height probably will be wasted a lot). I think Dolson's loss is, in several respects, being substantially understated by many.

What about ND, Art? What is your view on them?

PostPosted: 10/22/14 2:28 pm    ::: Re: Your team, your perspective Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Beemer wrote:

What about ND, Art? What is your view on them?

I think they have the potential to be better than the past several years. That is not to downplay the loss of McBride and Achonwa, but they will be significantly bigger and deeper than before. The addition of Turner and Westbeld is huge, and the accounts are that Diamond Thompson has made big strides and may actually be ready to contribute this year, which would be a giant addition.

I expect Allen to be a much bigger contributor on offense as a soph than she was as a freshman. With Loyd, Allen, Mabrey and Cable and the addition of Mychal Johnson, Muffet will have her usual strength at guard, and with Reimer (who has lost weight and reportedly made strides in the off season), Turner, Wright, Westbeld, Thomson and perhaps Nelson (let's see how far she has recovered from her injury), they will be bigger, more athletic, and much deeper on the front line than they've ever been in my recollection.

So the two losses are significant, but that's been true the past two years as well. As I always say, it's not who you lose (which is a normal part of college basketball), it's who you have returning and the newcomers, and how you replace the losses. Everyone pointed to the losses the past two years, yet each time ND was actually better than the year before. I think there's a good chance that will be true again.

Thompson is a real wildcard. She was admittedly a project when she arrived, but watching her in limited minutes last year, I thought she was far more athletic and had the potential to eventually be better than the more highly regarded Nelson. Muffet's comment last week was "From spring to this fall, Diamond has been our most improved player." We will see just how far she has actually come and if she can be a significant contributor. If she can, at 6'4", she could provide a real boost.

BTW, as strange as it sounds, one of the most exciting things about this season is next season. ND will lose only Wright and Holloway off this year's team. It would be great to have that kind of continuity and experience. But I'm looking for big things this season too.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 10/22/14 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks, Art. Good analysis.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 10/22/14 4:25 pm    ::: Re: Your team, your perspective Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Beemer wrote:

Interesting. Most of what I've read parallels these thoughts of Bart:

Weakness:

1. Post depth. We are very thin in the post and losing Dolson is huge. Every bot of that offense ran through her and her versatility as a post player. She could pass, score inside, set a nasty pick and hit from the elbow. Kiah Stokes can do none of that as well as she can.

PostPosted: 10/22/14 4:45 pm    ::: Re: Your team, your perspective Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Beemer wrote:

Weakness:

What is your take on UCONN, cths..

PostPosted: 10/22/14 4:47 pm    ::: Re: Your team, your perspective Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Beemer wrote:

Weakness:

I agree with Bart's comments and added an additional factor. But don't pretend those views are universal. Others have posted things like "The numbers back up my impression watching last year that Stokes was both a better rebounder, a better shot blocker & also runs the floor better. The only possible loss is Dolson's perimeter shooting and her passing." and "I also think that, being as Stewart is a post player..or post is fine, and the only question mark the team really has is in the backcourt." and "If Tuck's knee holds up and Stokes can learn to shoot the 10/15 footers the loss of either Dolson and /or Hartly will be ninimum, if at all. I blieve with the new four this team wil be faster and better defensively." There are people claiming elsewhere that Stokes is already better than Dolson.

Those sorts of comments are what provided the foundation for my comment that Dolson's loss is being "substantially understated by many.

Norcalnick

PostPosted: 10/22/14 11:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

California Golden Bears

Projected starting lineup:

PG: Brittany Boyd
Wings: Mercedes Jefflo
Wing: Gabby Green or Mikayla Cowling
Wing: Courtney Range

Strengths:

With due respect to Plum, Orrange and Alleyne, in my opinion Cal has the two best players in the Pac-12 in Boyd and Gray, and both are projected first round draft picks in the WNBA this year.

Boyd does everything - passing, scoring, drawing fouls, disrupting on defense, pulling down boards. Gray will be one of the most efficient scorers in the country and will draw constant double teams.

Cal's general team strength should be length and athleticism. The addition of freshmen recruits Gabby Green and Mikayla Cowling means that Cal could run with three rangy, athletic 6'2''+ guards. They should be really disruptive on defense, and they should create a variety of matchup problems on offense.

Weaknesses:

Depth, for one. Cal only has 10 players on the roster. Two were reserves to barely played last year, and three are freshmen, which basically means there are only 5 'proven' players on the roster. Any injuries to potential starters could be devastating. There will be a heavy burden on Boyd and Gray to stay on the court. I think they are capable, but there's risk.

Depth is particularly iffy inside, which means that Cal will likely be playing lots of 4 guard lineups, which is a stylistic change that may or may not work.

More than anything else, Cal is expecting big developmental jumps from sophomores Courtney Range and Mercedes Jefflo, and immediate positive contributions from Cowling and Green. None of those are unrealistic things to expect - sophomores usually improve a lot, and most folks expect McDonald's All Americans to contribute. But there are no guarantees.

Expectations:

Win the Pac-12 title, outright. If Cal can't win the Pac-12 title this year, with Boyd and Grey as seniors and Stanford seemingly vulnerable, then when would it ever happen? Beyond that, earn a top 4 tournament seed to earn home court advantage to star the tournament.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 10/23/14 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What is your take on UCONN, cths..

rambling thoughts:

Two 4-yr starter experience cannot be replaced by perennial reserves or freshmen, imo, so they'll feel the loss of Dolson and Hartley, especially early on.

I'm curious to see how the offense runs w/o these two players who were integral cogs. Additionally, their team-defense acumen is gone.

There'll be a bigger load on Jefferson to distribute/run the offense. I think Nurse is the leading candidate for the other guard spot. Hopefully her Team Canada experience will allow her a shorter learning curve than is usual for a freshman so that she can assume some of the load, at least by season's end. I think her size will help mitigate the loss of front-court size.

I'll assume Lewis, Stewart and Jefferson have improved and can handle a bigger role. Hopefully Tuck can play injury-free. If so, the team will be much more versatile/deep/potent.

The biggest ?s for me (other than injury) are Stokes and the other guard spot. Will Stokes shine as a starter, or will the Peter Principle come into play? Has she broadened her offensive game and will she be more definitive w/ the ball?

As for the team's record or seasonal results, I think there's as good a chance to go undefeated as there is to lose a game or two.

PostPosted: 10/23/14 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Purdue will be an interesting team to see develop. They graduated a very dynamic senior backcourt of KK Houser and Courtney Moses who both provided lots of leadership, gritty play and mental toughness. That said, KK was like a roller coaster...she would look like an All-American one game and the next have so many unforced turnovers. They also lost fellow senior guard DeeDee Williams, who was mostly a defensive specialist and Camille Redmon, who was penciled in to start in the post but most likely would have ended up coming in off the bench.

Best guess at starters:

PG - April Wilson, 5'7 Jr (10 PPG, 4.7 APG)
2 - Ashley Morrissette - 5'9 Soph (2.2 PPG)
3 - Torrie Thornton - 6' Jr (1.8 PPG, 2.1 RPG)
4 - Whitney Bays, 6'2 Sr (12.1 PPG, 7-9 RPG)
5 - Liza Clemons, 6'2 Sr (9.4 PPG, 5.5 RPG)

Backcourt
Purdue was at its' best last year with Wilson running the point and Houser playing on the wing. Wilson is a true PG and someone that I feel very comfortable with when the ball is in her hands. Morrissette had flashes of brilliance last year but found it hard to break fully into the rotation with 3 senior guards and Wilson involved. Word around the program is that she has been by far the most impressive of all the returnees and has come back ready to claim playing time. Thornton is a very athletic wing that can also play some post (with the preseason injury to incoming 6'3 frosh Haley Bodnar). If she does, look for any of 5'7 Jr Hayden Hamby (played very well down the stretch last year and is known for being a great shooter) or 6'2 Soph Bridget Perry (unorthodox lefty that can drill the '3' or penetrate) to start.

If a frosh can take a starting spot, my money is on 5'10 Justine Hall, the Colorado Player of the Year last year. She is the perfect point/combo guard, able to shoot the '3' effectively while also being able to put the ball on the floor and attack the basket. Andreona Keys, a very athletic wing, is also listed at 5'10 and averaged 24 points/game in a tough league in Atlanta.

I really like the mix of these 7 guards/wings...my only real concerns are getting Hall ready to play some PG when Wilson has to come out of the game finding someone other than April Wilson that can take & make a shot in a tough situation (end of game type of thing).

Frontcourt
Clemons & Bays will be a very good inside duo...the downside is both are "only" 6'2 and while they play tough & physical, they really aren't that bulky. Some of the teams in the B1G have tall, thick, physical post players and that could give them some occasional problems inside. Bays liked coming off the bench last year but this year will be a starter. She was limited to just under 20 mins/game, but that was mainly due to her coming back from an injury and not wanting to push her to point of no return. I look for her to play 25-28 mins/game this year. Clemons suffered from foul trouble all too often last year and she really needs to keep that under control...if she does, she will play a lot and should put up excellent numbers in several categories.

After the starters we get into a lot of unknowns. Thornton, as mentioned above, will most likely spell them at the 4 spot for a while. A lot is expected of the incoming frosh, led by 6'2 Erica Moore. She has a little of a thicker build and actually has a lot of skills of a guard. However, she could be the perfect "stretch 4", pulling out a post player that will have to try to defend someone on the perimeter. She is coming off an injury that took away her senior year but if healthy, she is a very dynamic player that will be a crowd favorite. Another frosh is the aforementioned 6'3 Haley Bodnar, the reigning Utah Player of the Year who is currently recovering from a stress fracture. The hope today is that she will be able to be back for the conference portion of the season. The last member of the 5-player freshman class is 6'5 Bree Horrocks from Georgia. Also a pretty good volleyball player, she should contribute a few points, rebounds and blocks every game.

All in all, it's feast or famine with this group in terms of experience...from 2 seniors to 3 freshmen. There is a pretty good amount of versatility in this group.

This team has a lot of youth: 5 freshmen and 2 sophomores. They also need to replace a pretty good amount of scoring and leadership from the seniors that graduated last year. Because of that, there are a lot of unknowns about how they are going to react once they get into games and who will take it upon themselves to take over when the going gets tough. I really like the incoming class and think they have the ability to make a big impact this year...if they don't, it could be a long year. That said, there is still plenty of talent on this team and I look for them to finish 5th-8th in the Big Ten this year and win a game or 2 in the NCAA's.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 10/23/14 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

North Dakota State:

Last season the Herd crawled to a 6-24 record including a meager 2-12 record in the Summit League. The train wreck that was Carolyn DeHoff's program reached its inevitable nadir; in a year that saw the Bison football team claim a third consecutive FCS title, both track teams claim multiple conference titles and advance unprecedented numbers to Eugene, and NCAA tourney berths for softball, baseball and mens' basketball (the latter claiming an opening round win over Oklahoma), the tolerance for WBBs' less-than -mediocre performance was finally dashed and Dehoff was sent packing. In her place the Bison Admin hired never-before head coach Maren Walseth; former star and current assistant at Penn State. Perhaps not a bad hire considering that Walseth is a Twin Cities native (once a recruiting grounds for NDSU) and that her sis Annika had played in Fargo. Walseth kept Assistant Coach Keith Dickhudt on her team and brought in Assistants Patrick Harrison and Kachine Alexander, the latter also a Twin Cities Prep and former all conference player at Iowa.

The good and bad news is that NDSU returns pretty much everyone. Maybe it is a ringing endorsement that almost everyone stayed in Fargo in support of the regime change. Longtime Bison fans are searching for a frame of reference versus how far the program has fallen. Definitely the results are different from when the program was in its DII heyday winning 5 national titles in the 90s. And many fans feel that the current athletes are second rate to the legends of long ago. Can Walseth turn this group into competitors? If she can't what does it mean? Ultimately, the pressure on this new staff might be pretty low. THey have an extra year to bring in their own recruits and achieve results.

The Bison are expected to finish dead last in this year's conference. I could see that possibility, especially if the coaching staff decide to develop younger players for future results at the expense of upperclassmen.

loneycafe

PostPosted: 10/24/14 7:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So NC State:

No idea what to expect this year. We lost six seniors to graduation, notably our post players (Keisha Gatling and Kody Burke) and our biggest 3-point threat (Myisha Goodwin-Coleman). And we have a lot of new players: an Arkansas transfer (Dominque Wilson), a junior college transfer (Carlee Schuhmacher), and four freshmen.

Coaches and players have said we'll be more guard-oriented this year given the newness and inexperience of post players. Last season, when we had to be more guard-oriented, it wasn't pretty. Our guards last season were inconsistent and very streaky and a no-show for some games. I also don't know who will step up and fill the void left by our 3-point threat MGC. Just a lot of unknowns.

Coach Moore developed a schedule similar to the one he did last year: have a pretty soft OOC schedule to give the players some time to grow and jell and work out some kinks and develop confidence before the ACC schedule starts. It paid off last season; we'll see what happens this season.

The player who'll probably emerge as the leader this year is sophomore Miah Spencer. Coach Moore really, really likes her, and she showed some great potential last year. She's not afraid to drive, and she is a hard-nose defender. She has some swagger, too. She's already a captain.

Pack fans aren't expecting the same 4-seed in the ACC tournament as last year; and I think the No. 9 and No. 10 pre-season predictions in the ACC are a little generous and show more faith in Coach Moore than the players. That's not a knock on the players; it's just we'll be working in so many new players (and we lost so much), it's hard to even predict the potential of this new group without seeing a few games first.

I would be surprised if this year's Pack team cracks the Top 25; but with the recruits we've got coming, and the right coach in Coach Moore, we're a program on the upswing.

noleman

PostPosted: 10/24/14 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Florida State:

FSU loses their best player in school history and their starting PG. They return 3 starters, and bring in some talented transfers and recruits.

Strengths: Depth at all positions; Balance
Weaknesses: 3 pt Shooting; No "Star" player

Guards:
Brittany Brown is one of the better perimeter defenders in the league and was 3rd in the ACC in steals last season. She starterd every game her freshman season and had a solid debut year. I personally expected more from her after watching her play many times in high school. She was a good but streaky shooter especially from deep. So to see her struggle to shoot last year was odd, hopefully she regains her shooting touch this season.

Richardson, Conwright, Bingley: Tranfers from Rutgers, Kentucky, and Iowa State. Richardson was a top 25 kid out of high school and Conwright was having a solid career at UK before hurting her knee. I had penciled in Richardson as the starting PG since she transferred here but Semrau recently said that Conwright had been running the show in practice so far. Known as a defensive ace, Im looking forward to see what else she brings to the table. BIngley sat out half the season and had some solid games last year. She will need to be a more consistent shooter and more ways to score the ball off the dribble.

Ray: Already a social media star, If she can produce on the court than she will have a very good career on and off the court in the future. She is probably the teams best 3 pt shooter which is why i think we will see her get plenty of court time this season.

Wings:
Morgan Jones has always been a streaky shooter because she has such a funky shot form. In the beginning of the season, she was Natasha's robin, picking up the slack when howard struggled or got in foul trouble. Jones really struggled in the latter part of the season. Team will need consistency from her this year. She played 1-4 last season and will probably do more of the same depending on matchups and lineups.

Shakayla Thomas: Leading scorer in the MCDAA game, expect her to have a great career at FSU. Great slasher and has a solid mid range game. Will need to work on defense and ball-handling. Has a great chance of winning ACC FOY.

Lauren Coleman: Definitely one of those connect-the-dots type of players. She isn't great at one thing but does many things well. High IQ, good 3pt shooter and play maker. Senior leadership from her will be important as she is the only player whose played more than 1 season in the ACC.

Slaughter: Was a beast on the boards last season and i expect her to break howard's rebound record b4 she graduates. Had a great freshman year, will need to stay out of foul trouble.

Bulgak: JC POY, player is likely the one who will try to fill howard's shoes. Another long, athletic 6-4 post who can run the floor but can also hit the 3. Once committed to UNC, Bulgak will be an important piece for FSU this season.

James: Another MCDAA, Seems to have gotten in better shape and will obviously get more time since Natasha is gone. I think will have a solid season.

Degbeon and Bevillard: European post who should at least add rebounding this season and bevillard ended her career after 4 consecutive ACL injuries.

Optimistically, All of FSU's new pieces come together perfectly and they finish 2nd in the league.
Realistically, It will probably take time to build on court chemistry and they finish anywhere from 4-6.

Players to watch: Keep an eye on Thomas and Bulgak, I believe they will be difference makers this season.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 10/25/14 8:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DePaul:

Strengths: guards, passing, 3pt shooting
Weaknesses: post play and rebounding

We lose only one starter from last year (Jasmine Penny). She was our leading scorer and was one of the most efficient scorers in the nation. While she could score, she was very undersized and not a very good rebounder. We can make up the points in Bruno's high octane offense. We will need our freshmen post players To step up. Marte Grays 6"2 is a top 100 recruit and will get significant minutes right away. Elri Liebenberg 6"5 is a bit of a work in progress, but has loads of potential. Pretty fast and athletic for her height. She just needs to learn how to use the backboard as she is used to playing net ball. Brandi Harvey-Carr 6"4 is a sophomore and should be starting this year. She needs to stay out of foul trouble. If she can, than this team is a top 10 team. Our guards are some of the best in the nation. Hrynko and Jenkins average over 5 apg. We also bring back Megan Rogowski. She is one of the top 3pt shooters in the country. Again I think if we can rebound better, this will be a better team than last year.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 10/25/14 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
DePaul:

Strengths: guards, passing, 3pt shooting
Weaknesses: post play and rebounding

We lose only one starter from last year (Jasmine Penny). She was our leading scorer and was one of the most efficient scorers in the nation. While she could score, she was very undersized and not a very good rebounder. We can make up the points in Bruno's high octane offense. We will need our freshmen post players To step up. Marte Grays 6"2 is a top 100 recruit and will get significant minutes right away. Elri Liebenberg 6"5 is a bit of a work in progress, but has loads of potential. Pretty fast and athletic for her height. She just needs to learn how to use the backboard as she is used to playing net ball. Brandi Harvey-Carr 6"4 is a sophomore and should be starting this year. She needs to stay out of foul trouble. If she can, than this team is a top 10 team. Our guards are some of the best in the nation. Hrynko and Jenkins average over 5 apg. We also bring back Megan Rogowski. She is one of the top 3pt shooters in the country. Again I think if we can rebound better, this will be a better team than last year.

Then there is Doug, there is always Doug. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: