RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Transfers for 2013-2014 Season
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 07/17/14 9:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ball4life's conversation is also possible -- you just don't know.

Quote:
For a girl who has no chance of playing after college (i.e., most of them), the answer to the question "But in the long run, what's more important? Playing your last two years or battling to beat out Jessica?" should be "finishing my free education and getting my degree".

A couple points: Almost any college-level female basketball player can go overseas and play. Maybe it's for a third-division team in Germany where you get $1000 a month and a free apartment and teach basketball classes; maybe it's in Iceland.

For some, the lure of being able to spend a couple years overseas, even if there's a chance you'll get jerked around by your club, is worth it. And for some, it works out great.

Also, some girls love to play, and giving up those two years is a big deal. They've been playing basketball their whole lives, they're at the top of their game, and like anyone who has mastered a skill, they want to utilize that skill.

So going to another school to play, if the finances work, is worth a lot to some players. To others, who are burned out and/or injured, that may not matter.

I think, really, that every situation is different, and every coach/player interaction is different, and no single solution suits everyone.

I do think, though, that not having to sit out a year would make the situation better for everyone, for now a player who doesn't fit, for whatever reason, at school A, can go to school B and still get a free education.[/quote]

PostPosted: 08/26/14 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Butler was in the lead with 5 transfers but Alabama is storming back with seven to my count. ROLL TIDE!

Emily Davis - Alabama -->
Courtney Hunter - Alabama --> ??? Giving up basketball?
Brittany Jack - Alabama -->
Brooksie McGraw - Alabama --> Florida A&M
Kara Rawls - Alabama -->
Daisha Simmons - Alabama --> Seton Hall
Jasmine Steele - Alabama --> North Carolina Wilmington

The players above were on the 2013-2014 roster http://www.rolltide.com/sports/w-baskbl/archive/alab-w-baskbl-roster-13-14.html and were non seniors but are now missing from the 2014-2015 roster http://www.rolltide.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/alab-w-baskbl-mtt.html. Haven't seen where Davis, Jack or Rawls are playing if anywhere but if you know I can make the correction.

icey23

PostPosted: 08/26/14 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Butler was in the lead with 5 transfers but Alabama is storming back with seven to my count. ROLL TIDE!

Emily Davis - Alabama -->
Courtney Hunter - Alabama --> ??? Giving up basketball?
Brittany Jack - Alabama -->
Brooksie McGraw - Alabama --> Florida A&M
Kara Rawls - Alabama -->
Daisha Simmons - Alabama --> Seton Hall
Jasmine Steele - Alabama --> North Carolina Wilmington

The players above were on the 2013-2014 roster http://www.rolltide.com/sports/w-baskbl/archive/alab-w-baskbl-roster-13-14.html and were non seniors but are now missing from the 2014-2015 roster http://www.rolltide.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/alab-w-baskbl-mtt.html. Haven't seen where Davis, Jack or Rawls are playing if anywhere but if you know I can make the correction.

What happened to Kuaneshia Baker?
http://www.rolltide.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/111513aaa.html

Not on roster
http://www.rolltide.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/alab-w-baskbl-mtt.html

PostPosted: 08/26/14 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jasmine Bailey - Stony Brook--> http://liupostpioneers.com/news/2014/5/7/WBB_0507144931.aspx#

BallState1984

PostPosted: 08/27/14 6:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brittany Carter Ball State -- Illinois

Carter graduated in three years from Ball State and is using her final year of eligibility to play at Illinois. This blindsided more than a few of her teammates, including the one who told me this happened.

PostPosted: 08/28/14 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Camille Redmond, who graduated from Purdue, will use her final year of eligibility at Boise State. Able to play immediately.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 08/29/14 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Camille Redmond, who graduated from Purdue, will use her final year of eligibility at Boise State. Able to play immediately.

Interesting. She was public about leaving Purdue because she did not get accepted to a graduate program there. She had graduated and wanted to move forward in her life rather than just stay at Purdue to be able to play for another year. Glad she found a way to make it work.

PrideFan

PostPosted: 09/25/14 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alexis Carter transferred from Hofstra to Mt. Saint Mary's.

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 09/25/14 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does anyone know where Amber Cooper (Boston College) went to? She's not on the roster for the 2014-2015 season.
Happycappie25

PostPosted: 09/26/14 6:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Alabama's leading returning scorer Daisha Simmons will not return to the program. You know, with the Leticia Romero situation you would expect transfers wouldn't have to go through so much trouble but since I keep up this list, people keep sending me these articles which do not look good.

This is an indepth article about Daisha Simmons and how Alabama would not give her a release. If anyone else knows the other transfers at Alabama let me know so my list can be up to date. Simmons says 6 have left but I don't have that many. http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/alabama/2014/06/27/alabamas--daisha-simmons-has-tough-time-transferring/11558947/

Social media stars the Gonzalez twins didn't really do much ON the court at Kansas yet when they wanted to transfer they had to hire legal representation. Why would Kansas care if two players who were not even in the rotation left? http://rockchalkblog.com/2014/05/29/gonzalez-twins-used-legal-representation-to-get-released-from-scholarship-at-kansas/

And this isn't just at the big schools like Bama and KU. Mid majors are also having controversy. http://www.roanoke.com/sports/colleges/radford-players-system-failed-us/article_8e59d49c-fd91-11e3-898d-0017a43b2370.html

I cant go into detail...but will say D. Simmons dragged on and now has to sit a transfer year according to the Pirate roster...which do the math...7 years...that's like Luke recker...which is absurd on so many levels and defeats the grad transfer rule....she just got put on the roster this week...well so much off here I dunno where to begin.

http://www.shupirates.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/daisha_simmons_926478.html

PostPosted: 10/01/14 5:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/story/sports/2014/09/30/daisha-simmons-rutgers-seton-hall-alabama-womens-basketball-gill-st-bernards/16492035

Hate to reply to myself but its gotten ugly with simmons and bama...I never respected bama and while I thought people were harsh on curry at texas tech I lost all respect ive ever had for her as well...

PostPosted: 10/01/14 8:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
http://www.mycentraljersey.com/story/sports/2014/09/30/daisha-simmons-rutgers-seton-hall-alabama-womens-basketball-gill-st-bernards/16492035

Hate to reply to myself but its gotten ugly with simmons and bama...I never respected bama and while I thought people were harsh on curry at texas tech I lost all respect ive ever had for her as well...

Wow, that's quite a damning article. I just don't understand this not releasing a player crap. On any staff I was on our belief was always if a player didn't want to be there, we don't want them there. Why do this to them?

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 10/01/14 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Happycappie25 wrote:

Wow, that's quite a damning article. I just don't understand this not releasing a player crap. On any staff I was on our belief was always if a player didn't want to be there, we don't want them there. Why do this to them?

Given the situation and the circumstances, this seems cruel. I know this is a case where the NCAA sought out a compromise but it just seems to put an extra hardship on the situation. Yea, there's aspects of the story that we don't know....but still.

ClayK

PostPosted: 10/01/14 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yet again, the athletes who fuel the engine are limited in their options.

Coaches like Curry, though, can go where they want whenever they want. How about every time a school denies an athlete permission to play, the AD and coach are denied permission to work for an NCAA institution for a year if they leave their present position?

PostPosted: 10/01/14 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Experience shows there is often more than meets the eye. That said, this looks spiteful on the part of Alabama

PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/01/14 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Curry has more coaching lives than a cat, and keeps managing to fail upwards. Now, she comes off looking like an even bigger piece of shit.

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 10/01/14 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, Alabama sure does seem to be quite the shitheel in this story.
Matt5762

PostPosted: 10/02/14 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Simmons case is particularly appaling in light of the fact that Curry "cut" nearly half the team over the course of the season. I wonder how much notice she gave all those girls that suddenly needed to find scholarships elsewhere?

GEF34

PostPosted: 10/02/14 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm a bit confused by the reason given. If she had graduated and was not accepted into the MBA program at Alabama, why would they expect her to be part of the 2014-2015 team. Were they expecting her to pick up a minor or take small classes just to be part of the team. I can understand if she got accepted into the MBA program that they expected her to play, but she wasn't accepted so how could she be a student-athlete and be expected to play this season.

Howee

PostPosted: 10/02/14 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Matt5762 wrote:
The Simmons case is particularly appaling in light of the fact that Curry "cut" nearly half the team over the course of the season. I wonder how much notice she gave all those girls that suddenly needed to find scholarships elsewhere?

Damn. I always thought of Curry as just a twit that needed a voice transplant, but this? Oy. Did she really cut players at Alabama without any transgressions on their part? Can that be done by a new coach, without fair reason, once a player's been given a scholarship?

Did someone mention upthread that the Gonzales twins are out at KU? (I should have been paying better attention!)

PostPosted: 10/02/14 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
I'm a bit confused by the reason given. If she had graduated and was not accepted into the MBA program at Alabama, why would they expect her to be part of the 2014-2015 team. Were they expecting her to pick up a minor or take small classes just to be part of the team. I can understand if she got accepted into the MBA program that they expected her to play, but she wasn't accepted so how could she be a student-athlete and be expected to play this season.

This is one of several things about this story that make no sense.

Matt5762

PostPosted: 10/03/14 9:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
Were they expecting her to pick up a minor or take small classes just to be part of the team. I can understand if she got accepted into the MBA program that they expected her to play, but she wasn't accepted so how could she be a student-athlete and be expected to play this season.

Of course. It's reported that she graduated last December and already took 4 random undergrad classes to stay eligible this past spring. Even if she can't get into a "serious" graduate program, there are many other undergrad, post-baccalaureate or less-competitive graduate options, all of which are pretty customary for 5th year seniors (at least at SEC-type schools).

Howee wrote:
Damn. I always thought of Curry as just a twit that needed a voice transplant, but this? Oy. Did she really cut players at Alabama without any transgressions on their part? Can that be done by a new coach, without fair reason, once a player's been given a scholarship?

Scholarships are still only for 1 year at most schools, though few will actually non-renew without cause (Alabama football is somewhat notorious for this though). Look at the first post in this thread - aside from Simmons, Alabama has 6 other outgoing transfers (I believe 2 who were pushed out at midseason and 4 at the end of the year). Of course, all of these players were released because Curry wanted them gone.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 10/03/14 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Swishappeal has done a great job on this.

Here is a timeline...

http://www.swishappeal.com/2014/10/2/6888329/daisha-simmons-transfer-request-alabama-timeline

Almost want this to be its own thread but since it started here I guess it should finish here Smile

PostPosted: 10/03/14 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Only good taste and my status as a lady (ha!) prevent me from saying what I REALLY think of Kristy Curry and the Alabama AD at this time. Not that I ever had much use for Bama in the first place, but geez.....

PostPosted: 10/03/14 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Matt5762 wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
Were they expecting her to pick up a minor or take small classes just to be part of the team. I can understand if she got accepted into the MBA program that they expected her to play, but she wasn't accepted so how could she be a student-athlete and be expected to play this season.

Of course. It's reported that she graduated last December and already took 4 random undergrad classes to stay eligible this past spring. Even if she can't get into a "serious" graduate program, there are many other undergrad, post-baccalaureate or less-competitive graduate options, all of which are pretty customary for 5th year seniors (at least at SEC-type schools).

Absolutely, I know that happens all the time, but typically when that happens the player and coach talk and make an agreement, the coach doesn't just assume the player is going to play after they have graduated. Especially knowing she applied and didn't get accepted into the MBA program, what were they expecting her to do.

If there was a discuss about her taking classes for a year while she increased her GPA, or took prerequisites classes to try for the program the next year, that's one thing, but based on what she said, it sounded like she had no intentions of playing for Alabama after she didn't get into the MBA program.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: