RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Ariya Crook and USC?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IM in OC

PostPosted: 09/19/14 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ladyvol777 wrote:
Very nice pickup, suprised she went to the west coast.

So am I. There will be 8 guards on the team for the 2015 season

Guards
1)Barratt - Sr
2)Gibbs - Sr
3)Adams - Jr
4)Jaco - Jr
5)Lloyd - Jr
6)Calvert -So
7)Butler - So
8)Mazyck - Fr

Forwards/Centers
9)Edelman - Jr
10)Simon - So
11)Okonkwo - So.
12)Effa - Fr

Hoops9092

PostPosted: 09/20/14 1:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can someone tell me why Jordan Adams hasn't lived up to the expectations? Health? I had recalled her being one of the top few prospects in her class with big-time offensive potential. That part of her game seems non-existence at times.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 09/20/14 7:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoops9092 wrote:
Can someone tell me why Jordan Adams hasn't lived up to the expectations? Health? I had recalled her being one of the top few prospects in her class with big-time offensive potential. That part of her game seems non-existence at times.

She was injured and had to sit out her freshmen year. Lack of confidence and a new system might be part of it. I also don't recall hearing she had big time offensive potential. Everything I heard was that she was a great passer and facilitator. A big PG.

I think she can be a great wing in college. She needs to use her height and take defenders off the dribble more.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 09/20/14 8:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoops9092 wrote:

She seemed poor defensively when I saw her play. She lacked quickness on defense. Some people stop developing earlier than others, but she may just lack focus. I really don't know.

IM in OC

PostPosted: 09/20/14 8:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Hoops9092 wrote:

She seemed poor defensively when I saw her play. She lacked quickness on defense. Some people stop developing earlier than others, but she may just lack focus. I really don't know.

Jordan had a bad knee in her senior year in HS. She played on it and it never got better, even with rest. USC under Michael Cooper stopped with her after either 8 or 9 games so she could be red shirted. She had knee surgery to to fix it. I dont think she gets along with CCD and I dont think CCD likes her. 2 people who are very strong willed can clash, Jordan is a very talented athlete and can excel if the right coach works with her. Lets hope Beth Burns is that person.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 09/20/14 9:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Hoops9092 wrote:

Jordan had a bad knee in her senior year in HS. She played on it and it never got better, even with rest. USC under Michael Cooper stopped with her after either 8 or 9 games so she could be red shirted. She had knee surgery to to fix it. I dont think she gets along with CCD and I dont think CCD likes her. 2 people who are very strong willed can clash, Jordan is a very talented athlete and can excel if the right coach works with her. Lets hope Beth Burns is that person.

Thanks for the clarification. Her nagging injury may explain the defensive struggles that I witnessed. I hope Jordan can co-exist with CCD, but if that is not possible, then I hope she has the courage to go elsewhere.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 09/20/14 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are also two other possible considerations: some players are as good as they are ever going to be in high school, and some players don't adjust well to coaching changes and changes in system. This goes for any player, not just Adams.

PostPosted: 09/20/14 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
There are also two other possible considerations: some players are as good as they are ever going to be in high school, and some players don't adjust well to coaching changes and changes in system. This goes for any player, not just Adams.

I agree and on the other hand, a good coach will take a player and recognize her strengths and use them in the system they are running. A good coach pays attention to detail in a player and in a team's chemistry on court. A player the caliber of Adams (not saying this is the situation at USC) may get frustrated if a coach fails to recognize the value and strengths in that player. If a player knows she is going to get yanked the minute she does something wrong, she may not play loose or at ease enough to show what she can really do. With Adams, I remember reading opinions of some when she was still being recruited in HS who had watched and they were saying that she wasn't as good as the recruiting rankings were making her out to be. She had size, she could bring the ball up and that was intriguing but that was about it with her game. Maybe they were right? Good luck to her and hope she does develop to her potential. (:

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 09/20/14 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Adams averaged 20 minutes per game last year. 6th most on the team. She doesn't get pulled a lot. I think the times I've seen her pulled is for hesitating and not taking her shot. She lacked confidence last year. I wouldn't blame it on coaching.

AJMMs

PostPosted: 09/20/14 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
Adams averaged 20 minutes per game last year. 6th most on the team. She doesn't get pulled a lot. I think the times I've seen her pulled is for hesitating and not taking her shot. She lacked confidence last year. I wouldn't blame it on coaching.

Oh no Shmermerer, I wasn't implying that that is the case with Adams, I was referring to coaches who don't give some players a chance to become comfortable enough out on the court. A good coach will know when to pull someone and when to allow them to make mistakes. A bad coach does the opposite of course IMO. Can't wait for the UCLA/USC game this season. (:

Howee

PostPosted: 09/20/14 11:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
She lacked confidence last year. I wouldn't blame it on coaching.

"Coaching" is precisely what I would pin lack of confidence on! Any kid must have a decent level of skill and self-confidence to be considered a Top Recruit. 9 times out of 10, lost confidence is not the kid just head-tripping.

I know nothing about Ariya at all, so I'm not saying that's the problem here. But I've seen this play out in lots of kids. Sometimes (as mentioned above), it's just a bad chemistry thing.

PostPosted: 09/21/14 8:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:

"Coaching" is precisely what I would pin lack of confidence on! Any kid must have a decent level of skill and self-confidence to be considered a Top Recruit. 9 times out of 10, lost confidence is not the kid just head-tripping.

I know nothing about Ariya at all, so I'm not saying that's the problem here. But I've seen this play out in lots of kids. Sometimes (as mentioned above), it's just a bad chemistry thing.

I would think that in this circumstance it's not coaching. The girl had knee surgery, had to learn a different system, and really was never a dependable scorer before college. She has always been a facilitator. JMO.

AJMMs

PostPosted: 09/21/14 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
Howee wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:

I would think that in this circumstance it's not coaching. The girl had knee surgery, had to learn a different system, and really was never a dependable scorer before college. She has always been a facilitator. JMO.

Well it could be coaching, who knows? Look at a player like Atonye Nyingifa. How many players have had to go through the pain and agony of not one, but two ACL injuries in their careers, but to top that, have to also do it while playing for not one, not two, but three different coaching staffs? Talk about having to adjust and succeeding through it all. I think Cori Close and her staff did a beyond great job of recognizing the difficulties of the situation and allowed Atonye to just be herself out on the court, while still playing in Close's system. The player can still excel in Adams' situation but it's up to the current coaching staff to make sure that they are doing all they can to help Adams get through the injuries and changes in the coaching philosophies she is dealing with. Good luck to her this season.

dfineguy

PostPosted: 09/21/14 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Shmermerer1]
I would think that in this circumstance it's not coaching. The girl had knee surgery, had to learn a different system, and really was never a dependable scorer before college. She has always been a facilitator. JMO.[/quote]

It is JYO. At LB Poly Crook had good scorers inside and they tended to overpower a lot of teams. Ariya's role there was the PG. But she could always score well, though she is a bit of a streak shooter. When she was a freshman at SC, she came into a game at Berkeley in Cal's gym with just over a couple of minutes left in a game Cal had led by about 10 points average for most of the game. The Bears were up 11 at this point I think. Crook took over the game and scored all the remaining SC points but for couple of free throws by another player. All I could think about leaving the gym was Reggie Miller's run in the playoffs.

I will miss Crook a lot. When she gets her degree, I hope she uses her year of remaining eligibility somewhere else. Maybe Hawaii with former teammate Calhoun. She knows the coaches. Mr. Green

PostPosted: 09/21/14 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dfineguy wrote:
I will miss Crook a lot. When she gets her degree, I hope she uses her year of remaining eligibility somewhere else.

Me too, on both counts.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 09/21/14 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dfineguy wrote:
[quote="Shmermerer1]

It is JYO. At LB Poly Crook had good scorers inside and they tended to overpower a lot of teams. Ariya's role there was the PG. But she could always score well, though she is a bit of a streak shooter. When she was a freshman at SC, she came into a game at Berkeley in Cal's gym with just over a couple of minutes left in a game Cal had led by about 10 points average for most of the game. The Bears were up 11 at this point I think. Crook took over the game and scored all the remaining SC points but for couple of free throws by another player. All I could think about leaving the gym was Reggie Miller's run in the playoffs.

I will miss Crook a lot. When she gets her degree, I hope she uses her year of remaining eligibility somewhere else. Maybe Hawaii with former teammate Calhoun. She knows the coaches. Mr. Green[/quote]

I was referring to Jordan Adams not Crook. I hope Crook gets a shot somewhere or gets drafted though. She's got a lot of talent.

dfineguy

PostPosted: 09/21/14 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dfineguy wrote:

I was referring to Jordan Adams not Crook. I hope Crook gets a shot somewhere or gets drafted though. She's got a lot of talent.

I re-read the post and it's not really clear but....

You're right about Adams. She was never a consistent or prolific scorer. And now that she's moved up a level her height compared to other PGs is not enough to offset their speed compared to her slower level of play. And again her height can't defend against smaller speedier guards. Canada will kill her if Cooper even puts her on Canada in a man D. She doesn't have her on Boyd when SC plays Cal. Fortunately for the Bears Green has the height and is much quicker than Adams so the match-up should be more even. Canada will have a speed advantage over Green but Green's height will be an offset much greater than Jorden Adams'. Canada won't shoot over Green easily if at all, but her speed may enable her to get around her or open space to shoot between them. Canada should leave Adams flat-footed if they are ever one-on-one.

But I digress....

Oh, and if you watch the quote brackets and use the preview, you can save save the quotation box. Razz

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: