RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

LSU Schedule

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tigermojo

PostPosted: 08/31/14 12:19 pm    ::: LSU Schedule Reply Reply with quote

I don't think anybody has to worry about the Lady Tigers having one of the top SOS this season! Smile

http://www.lsusports.net/SportSelect.dbml?&&DB_OEM_ID=5200&SPID=2167&SPSID=27832

the toughest part is facing A&M and USC twice each and UT on the road

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 09/02/14 12:22 pm    ::: Wanna know... Reply Reply with quote

Where does Nikki and LSU stand with Kalani Brown? Could this be make or break for her?

TNT

PostPosted: 09/09/14 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Keilani has narrowed it to LSU, Baylor and aTm. Time will tell.

Interesting detail:

Keilani Brown is a student-athlete at Slidell High School in Louisiana, across Lake Pontchartrain from New Orleans.

Ayana Mitchell, a commitment from Georgia, attends a high school named Slidell too.

Ain't that a coincidence? Maybe it will lead to Niki's Cosmic Convergence and she'll get on a major recruiting roll. Both girls, Mitchell and Brown, are outstanding students. Soooo.....

PostPosted: 09/09/14 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Correction:

Both attend schools with the name Salmen/Salmon...sorry, I erred...

PostPosted: 09/09/14 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TNT wrote:
Correction:

Both attend schools with the name Salmen/Salmon...sorry, I erred...

welcome TNT, Brown took a official to aTm over the weekend.

PostPosted: 09/13/14 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hate to be a deal breaker here, but I thought Mitchell attends a school named Salem?

Also, Mitchell sounds like a good get, but we need height--ergo, we need Kalani Brown in a bad way. Caliya Robinson out of Georgia would be nice too or Mompremier out of Miami, who just so happens to play on Sylvia Fowles AAU team

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 09/14/14 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if LSU was ever in it. Early on Brown stated that LSU wasn't interested and vice versa and I'm wondering if her inclusion of the Tigers in her top 10 was formality and nothing more.

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 09/15/14 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Based on tweet from @LetsTalkBB yesterday, LSU not in final 3. Texas A&M, Baylor and Tennessee

TNT wrote:

Interesting detail:

Keilani Brown is a student-athlete at Slidell High School in Louisiana, across Lake Pontchartrain from New Orleans.

Ayana Mitchell, a commitment from Georgia, attends a high school named Slidell too.

Ain't that a coincidence? Maybe it will lead to Niki's Cosmic Convergence and she'll get on a major recruiting roll. Both girls, Mitchell and Brown, are outstanding students. Soooo.....

tigermojo

PostPosted: 09/17/14 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thefutureisbright wrote:
Based on tweet from @LetsTalkBB yesterday, LSU not in final 3. Texas A&M, Baylor and Tennessee

TNT wrote:

Interesting detail:

could you maybe give some specifics about this tweet, like who did it and, uh, what exactly did it say? Confused

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/17/14 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tigermojo wrote:
thefutureisbright wrote:

TNT wrote:

Interesting detail:

could you maybe give some specifics about this tweet, like who did it and, uh, what exactly did it say? Confused

Here https://twitter.com/LetsTalkBB/status/511315421920649216
Seems pretty definitive.

tigermojo

PostPosted: 09/17/14 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
tigermojo wrote:
thefutureisbright wrote:

TNT wrote:

Interesting detail:

Seems pretty definitive.

thank you for that, I guess. Kinda leaves a disgusting taste in my mouth---she couldn't have chosen 3 worse schools from an LSU fan's perspective. If this holds up, NC blew it big time. I don't know what the hell she's doing down here, but it sure ain't recruiting. This is not gonna look good for her, especially if she keeps having average seasons on the court.

I kept saying we should've gotten Nell Fortner from Auburn in the first place.

her recruiting prowess, based on her short stay at UCLA, was well overblown. From what Close has done, it's obvious that almost anybody can recruit to UCLA---nothing against Close---just making a point. What she has done there makes what NC did there look average to poor

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 09/17/14 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tigermojo wrote:
her recruiting prowess, based on her short stay at UCLA, was well overblown. From what Close has done, it's obvious that almost anybody can recruit to UCLA---nothing against Close---just making a point. What she has done there makes what NC did there look average to poor

Coach Close is working her butt off, no doubt, but she's building on a foundation that Coach Caldwell began the laying of. I was sad to see CNC leave Westwood, and I think you've got a good one in Baton Rouge.

tigermojo

PostPosted: 09/17/14 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
tigermojo wrote:

Coach Close is working her butt off, no doubt, but she's building on a foundation that Coach Caldwell began the laying of. I was sad to see CNC leave Westwood, and I think you've got a good one in Baton Rouge.

I wish I could say I agree, but at this point she has definitely left us wanting. She has got to start actually recruiting and stop filling in the roster w/ transfers from powers like N. Tex. and Memphis.

Look at the vast majority of the top tier teams---it all starts with quality recruits. It's no mistake that UConn, Tenn., now So. Car., Stanford, N.D. all have teams filled with high school All Americans

Now that all of them are gone, she's got her work cut out for her just getting a class---her biggest has been 3 and 2 of them are no longer on the team. She also needs to be making some impact on 2016. We're losing 4 players then and there's no sign she's working on filling any of those spots. I guess she'll do her usual and go find some unproven transfers, like she's already done for '15, but continuing to get 2 players a year, well that's obvious.

I guess my frustration with her almost total lack of recruiting should also be obvious. I am actually ecstatic that she really has a committment from ONE top 100 player for '15. That is sad for a once very prominent program. Hell, Louisville has 4 in the top 50

In closing, the only reason we have 2 Sweet 16s is because we played the first 2 rounds at home.

TNT

PostPosted: 09/17/14 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Those fans who are giving Nikki Caldwell props just don't realize how little she has done to build LSU's program.

She basically has resorted to getting transfers and lose her own recruits every year.

We are paying a high salary for these poor results. Something has to give.

PostPosted: 09/17/14 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Caldwell had three years at UCLA. There were problems but no one cared to look for them. One thing she did, and it was not small, was she changed the mindset and culture at UCLA. The former coach (I can't even bring myself to name her) didn't care at all about winning and losing. She felt basketball was just one part of the college experience and if you won, great, if you lost, great, but where do we go shopping tomorrow. She felt she had a lifetime job at UCLA and when the seat started getting hot, she was totally lost. Caldwell came in and made sure everyone knew that they were at UCLA to play ball. That's not a small accomplishment but whether or not it also needed to be accomplished at LSU, I don't know.

The previously recruited players did relatively well under her system but her own recruits struggled. Markel Walker was her prime recruit and she was ranked #4 in the nation behind Griner, Bone and Diggins. There was little to no development but that went for all the new players she recruited. It's also likely had Jasmine Dixon not transferred in, we would even be having this conversation as everything ran through her hands after her arrival.

She continually made bizarre recruiting decisions, the worst one was not recruiting Reshanda Gray and instead recruiting Erica Payne. Her philosophy seemed to be covet athletic wings who couldn't shoot. Defensively, it made life miserable for the Pac but at the same time, they couldn't get over the (Stanford) hump because the players couldn't get the ball through the hoop. A good player here and there but overall, her recruiting was very subpar because she did not recruit to her needs, especially in guards. She was starting to make inroads but then she was gone. She burned bridges in the Southern California club scene and also said she didn't care because the girls here are soft.

The biggest knock against her, IMO, is her personality. Administration at UCLA was not unhappy to see her go, although that could also have been outright jealousy over all the media attention she got. But she was hardly the warm and friendly glamour girl behind the scenes. A majority of the players I spoke with were relieved she left. They were frightened of the thought of a new coach but at least two players were going to transfer if she stayed. There was great unhappiness in the locker room and so when I heard that there were problems last season at LSU, I wasn't surprised. Nikki Caldwell is out for Nikki Caldwell. I don't at all begrudge her for taking a huge pay raise but I do wonder about an AD who makes the offer with such little evidence that she was worth the money.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 09/17/14 7:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tigermojo wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
tigermojo wrote:
thefutureisbright wrote:

TNT wrote:

Interesting detail:

Seems pretty definitive.

thank you for that, I guess. Kinda leaves a disgusting taste in my mouth---she couldn't have chosen 3 worse schools from an LSU fan's perspective. If this holds up, NC blew it big time. I don't know what the hell she's doing down here, but it sure ain't recruiting. This is not gonna look good for her, especially if she keeps having average seasons on the court.

Fortner?!? Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot?!?

tigermojo

PostPosted: 09/18/14 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
tigermojo wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
tigermojo wrote:
thefutureisbright wrote:

TNT wrote:

Interesting detail:

Seems pretty definitive.

Fortner?!? Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot?!?

what, exactly does that mean? And, could she be any worse? Her recruiting at AU was similar to or better than what NC has done at LSU.

tigermojo

PostPosted: 09/18/14 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
Caldwell had three years at UCLA. There were problems but no one cared to look for them. One thing she did, and it was not small, was she changed the mindset and culture at UCLA. The former coach (I can't even bring myself to name her) didn't care at all about winning and losing. She felt basketball was just one part of the college experience and if you won, great, if you lost, great, but where do we go shopping tomorrow. She felt she had a lifetime job at UCLA and when the seat started getting hot, she was totally lost. Caldwell came in and made sure everyone knew that they were at UCLA to play ball. That's not a small accomplishment but whether or not it also needed to be accomplished at LSU, I don't know.

The previously recruited players did relatively well under her system but her own recruits struggled. Markel Walker was her prime recruit and she was ranked #4 in the nation behind Griner, Bone and Diggins. There was little to no development but that went for all the new players she recruited. It's also likely had Jasmine Dixon not transferred in, we would even be having this conversation as everything ran through her hands after her arrival.

She continually made bizarre recruiting decisions, the worst one was not recruiting Reshanda Gray and instead recruiting Erica Payne. Her philosophy seemed to be covet athletic wings who couldn't shoot. Defensively, it made life miserable for the Pac but at the same time, they couldn't get over the (Stanford) hump because the players couldn't get the ball through the hoop. A good player here and there but overall, her recruiting was very subpar because she did not recruit to her needs, especially in guards. She was starting to make inroads but then she was gone. She burned bridges in the Southern California club scene and also said she didn't care because the girls here are soft.

The biggest knock against her, IMO, is her personality. Administration at UCLA was not unhappy to see her go, although that could also have been outright jealousy over all the media attention she got. But she was hardly the warm and friendly glamour girl behind the scenes. A majority of the players I spoke with were relieved she left. They were frightened of the thought of a new coach but at least two players were going to transfer if she stayed. There was great unhappiness in the locker room and so when I heard that there were problems last season at LSU, I wasn't surprised. Nikki Caldwell is out for Nikki Caldwell. I don't at all begrudge her for taking a huge pay raise but I do wonder about an AD who makes the offer with such little evidence that she was worth the money.

thank you for taking the time to do that, it was very insightful. I, too feel that her personality is a problem. From the day she arrived, she had an air of "I'm above it all" about her. Flatly, she seemed like a snob, and I don't think that this attitude has endeared her to recruits and especially their parents. It certainly has not endeared her to us, the fans---particularly when added to her lack of success on the court and especially in recruiting. I think her days are numbered. I hope I'm wrong and that our girls have great success. I'll be more than happy to eat my word and do so publicly on this board and anywhere else they may be interested.

But the biggest thing against her right now remains the loss of Brown. That is huge and will not be forgotten. The biggest in-state recruit since Augustus, and we don't even make her finalists. I can't help but think that her elitist personality played a big part in that.

sorry about my rants, but this Brown issue is just the last straw for a fan a Lady Tiger 'Ball for some 40 years.

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/18/14 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great info about Caldwell at UCLA, and accurate as far as I know ...

As for Kalani Brown, I'm not sure she's worth the hype. She's big and reasonably skilled but at the last USA Basketball camp, she kept getting her shot blocked by smaller players -- and she's 6-5. She must have had six shots blocked in scrimmages I saw, and really did nothing at all impressive.

Maybe it was a bad weekend (small sample size), but off of that performance, she's not a recruit that will lead a team to the Final Four.

Then again, she's from Louisiana, and one would think the first job for the LSU coach would be to make sure the Louisiana talent stays home.

PostPosted: 09/18/14 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

During her second season at UCLA, she recruited a terrible class (on paper) that included Thea Lemberger, Corrine Costa and the often injured sister of another Bruin, Rhema Gardner. Costa was ranked in the 300s. Ironic because Lemberger and Costa became fine and productive Bruins....after Caldwell left. The season before, she signed Mariah Williams and Caldwell was spotted doing her nails at a tournament where she was meant to be scouting Chelsea Gray. The season with Lemberger, it was suggested that Caldwell was trying to recruit academically superior students over ones with basketball talent because she got a bonus if her team finished at a certain level academically. Her final season put an end to that trend.

What most people didn't know was how terrible the games were. I attended most, if not all of the local games and they were just boring. Slow, grind it out and no offense. I still didn't understand what offense she was running. During her final season, the Pauley announcers kept saying "Our best start in 15 years, our best start in 20, our best start since 1980, etc." Of course, she scheduled all cupcakes so that was a mirage. It was at the point where I would have preferred donating to the program rather than sitting through another game. To her credit, for the most part, UCLA won the games they should have and lost the ones they should have. However, they never did the main thing, which was to beat Stanford, even once.

On the plus side, Caldwell always seemed prepared for her opponents and the team seemed prepared as well. She did not seem to be very good at making on court adjustments and someone like Vandeveer simply outcoached her. Granted, they had better pieces (Ogwumike sisters, anyone), but she couldn't hold on to a nine point halftime lead in the tournament final.

AJMMs

PostPosted: 09/18/14 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
tigermojo wrote:

Coach Close is building a family environment at UCLA. Just check her tweets. She has not only former UCLA women's basketball players involved, but also men's basketball players like Earl Watson, Ryan Hollins, Baron Davis, etc. supporting the program and have actually taken some time out to mentor players like Recee Caldwell and Jordin Canada. She hosts luncheons and pool parties with former UCLA women's players invited at her home. She hangs out with the likes of legends Rafer Johnson . She is very well liked by the other UCLA coaches on campus and has a great rapport with football coach Jim Mora who has sat in as an honorable coach on the bench at a women's game or two.

She is just every where and is very likable. She even has struck up a friendship, after meeting them on a plane ride home, with the "So You Think You Can Dance" Emmy Award winning choreographer's Nappytabs who treated UCLA players Lauren Holiday and Rhema Gardner to a friendly dance lesson.

From what I can tell from all of her activities is that she fully believes in the philosophy that it takes a village to raise a child. Some thought that her religious beliefs would cause some problems, specifically with the exclusion of Lesbian players, but she's proven that's not true. She seems to keep friendships with former UCSB players she coached like Kristen Mann, whom she just recently favorited Mann's Tweet about her band Sapphica which has some really sexual and lesbian overtones in what she is all about. She's also been involved in a short promo spot called "If You Can Play, You Can Play" @ UCLA, aimed toward the LGBT student athlete.

Overall, as Pat posted, she is working her butt off. She not only realizes that she must recruit elite players, but she's not afraid to go after the Savanna Trapp's, Dominique Williams's and Chrissy Baird's who are probably more well-suited for mid-low majors or D-II quality players, only because of their upbeat, easy-to-get-along-with, and jovial characters. Players who are just so excited to be playing at UCLA and don't mind riding the pine. The UCLA players really love being around each other and they have nothing but good things to say about the coaches and that's because of the family environment Coach Close and her staff are/have creating at UCLA. And then there is the staff she brought in with her. Coach Perry has proven to be one of the best recruiters in the business, Jenny Huth is first-class and very likable, and same goes for coach Tony Newnan and longtime UCLA women's basketball staple Pam Walker who all players past and present respect so much. All are very hard working and won't hesitate to go the extra mile for coach Close.

That is what I see has allowed for UCLA to get the arguably the No. 1 recruiting class coming in this season and a slew of top recruits around the country looking at them more now than ever. I seriously hope the Bruins can persuade Ogunbowale to join the club. UCLA was blessed when Caldwell departed for more $$$$. The best thing that's happened to the program since winning the AIAW national title back in 1978, is Caldwell leaving and then bringing in Close. Now we just need to see if she can coach elite talent to their ability and beyond. She's not afraid of a little competition either with the schedule she created. (:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: