RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Radar on yet?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 09/17/14 7:49 pm    ::: Re: Radar on yet? Reply Reply with quote

Duke Report:

EWill (Elizabeth Williams) - Will she play her heart out even if she's decided not to play bball professionally?

Can Duke play post players at all 5 positions? Stay tuned...

EWill is our only senior of interest to national fans of the game. Ka'lia Johnson and walk on Jenna Frush are also seniors.

The only junior is a JC player (who is also the only PG)

But, you want to look at a plethora of underclass post players, Duke is THE team to watch! I hope at least one of them can at least dunk in warmups.

~rAf
Howee

PostPosted: 09/17/14 10:10 pm    ::: Re: Radar on yet? Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Howee wrote:
Stanford? I'm afraid I may be ending my long and tenuous relationship with TVD. My heart's not there so much, any more; I fell in love with Brooke Smith, and on to Candice Wiggins, on through the O sisters, but now? I dunno....

Awww, this makes me sad. I can understand it, but it makes me sad. I think it will be a downish year on the farm.

Now, Myrtle....it's not that bad! Laughing You know I'll still watch their every game. I don't like to think of myself as a 'fair-weather friend', but my biggest frustrations are with the coaching. If I can just focus on the players, it's more enjoyable. I wanna see Lili play more, too. Cool

PostPosted: 09/17/14 10:28 pm    ::: Re: Radar on yet? Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Howee wrote:
Stanford? I'm afraid I may be ending my long and tenuous relationship with TVD. My heart's not there so much, any more; I fell in love with Brooke Smith, and on to Candice Wiggins, on through the O sisters, but now? I dunno....

Awww, this makes me sad. I can understand it, but it makes me sad. I think it will be a downish year on the farm.

Now, Myrtle....it's not that bad! Laughing You know I'll still watch their every game. I don't like to think of myself as a 'fair-weather friend', but my biggest frustrations are with the coaching. If I can just focus on the players, it's more enjoyable. I wanna see Lili play more, too. Cool

Tara does a great job coaching. There's really nowhere to go but down. Are you more satisfied with Hatchell and Coale, or do your allegiances just run a bit deeper at those schools?

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 09/18/14 12:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kelsey Plum. If she makes improvements to her all-around game, she can be an All-American. The skills are there. She's as good a pre-season pick for Pac-12 player of the year as anyone.

As for Stanford, I'm keeping an eye on Brittany McPhee. Quadruple-threat scorer, Starbird-esque. She doesn't fill their need in the middle though. This may not be a good season for Stanford to have a down year in the post. The rest of the conference is actually pretty good in that respect. With Cal, UCLA, Oregon State, Oregon and Washington all looking to be competitive, they're gonna have to fight just to finish in the top 4.

GEF34

PostPosted: 09/18/14 3:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
So this Erica McCall (Stanford) talk has always confused me a little ...

I've seen her play a few times, small sample, and she's never been particularly impressive. Obviously a good athlete in a good body but never taken over a game.

And last year at Stanford, she shot 43.9% from the field (bad for a post), 54.5% from the line and had 10 assists and 30 turnovers. She's obviously a good rebounder and a very good shotblocker, but 3.3 ppg in 10.2 minutes a game does not look like an Ogwumike replacement to me.

But folks keep talking her up like she's the next in line to Appel, Nneka and Chiney, and maybe all she needs is 30 mpg to prove them right. I'm not yet convinced, however.

You have probably seen her more than I have, I never saw her in high school, I would take a guess that you saw her in high school and/or AAU, but from the little I saw at Stanford the past season I was impressed with. Of course that could be all she had and it had nothing to do with Chiney, playing behind Chiney affecting her game, is an opinion on my part, not a fact, I have no idea what she will do this season, but the little I saw of her, she did remind me a bit of Chiney. Erica appears to be a better midrange shooter, and Chiney is better at doing her work early in the paint, but that is something Erica could develop as she works on her game.

I'm interested in seeing Erica this season and seeing if this flashes she displayed last season are just that, flashes of something more as opposed to that's all she has in her.

Howee

PostPosted: 09/18/14 4:37 am    ::: Re: Radar on yet? Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Tara does a great job coaching. There's really nowhere to go but down. Are you more satisfied with Hatchell and Coale, or do your allegiances just run a bit deeper at those schools?

I *definitely* prefer Coale's coaching style. Hatchell's can translate into some exciting basketball. Now, TVD certainly has had her moments of glory over the years, but it seems like she's changed significantly, from my perspective. To me, her teams have become less dynamic and more predictable, tho never 'bad'.

PostPosted: 09/18/14 7:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
The development (or lack) of Chong is what interests me most, followed by how good are the frosh.

I'm actually excited to see what Kia Stokes can do at UCONN this year. She will no doubt be our starting center. While she is no Dolson, but she is a very athletic center who can rebound, block shots and defend. If we can get about 10ppg and 10rbg, it will make UCONN much more dangerous.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 09/18/14 7:26 am    ::: Re: Radar on yet? Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

I *definitely* prefer Coale's coaching style. Hatchell's can translate into some exciting basketball. Now, TVD certainly has had her moments of glory over the years, but it seems like she's changed significantly, from my perspective. To me, her teams have become less dynamic and more predictable, tho never 'bad'.

What impresses me most about Tara is the way she can produce a game plan that keeps her team in the game against UConn or other great teams, when they have better athletes than her. Her offense may be frustrating in that it's boring, but it's all part of her defensive strategy (no easy points for the opposition).

ucbart

PostPosted: 09/18/14 9:27 am    ::: Re: Radar on yet? Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

What impresses me most about Tara is the way she can produce a game plan that keeps her team in the game against UConn or other great teams, when they have better athletes than her. Her offense may be frustrating in that it's boring, but it's all part of her defensive strategy (no easy points for the opposition).

I don't think it's boring. I think it's a very well played offense. It's just a tad boring to some when she doesn't have the right personnel to run it effectively. If she does, it's a great offense, IMO. I can think of a whole lot of other teams with boring offense, or lack there of, like Tennessee and Rutgers. (Not meant as a UCONN fan flaming, those are just the facts)

Jlcarter

PostPosted: 09/18/14 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From what I'm hearing Jasmine Jones. Has had her best summer at Tennessee. Looks like it also.

newkid

PostPosted: 09/18/14 11:22 am    ::: Re: Radar on yet? Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Howee wrote:

I don't think it's boring. I think it's a very well played offense. It's just a tad boring to some when she doesn't have the right personnel to run it effectively. If she does, it's a great offense, IMO. I can think of a whole lot of other teams with boring offense, or lack there of, like Tennessee and Rutgers. (Not meant as a UCONN fan flaming, those are just the facts)

For me, constant one-on-one drives to the basket gets boring. Tara's offense, well-executed and with speed, is very exciting to me. But slow and less well-executed, definitely frustrating to watch.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 09/18/14 11:26 am    ::: Re: Radar on yet? Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

Then you are giving the wrong person the credit, that should go to Kate Paye or also the Kelseys of Stanfords past. They are the ones with the scouting and game plan. It's a shame that they don't do the in game adjustments or we may have won the more important crucial games like A & M Embarassed

Howee

PostPosted: 09/18/14 1:03 pm    ::: Re: Radar on yet? Reply Reply with quote

newkid wrote:
For me, constant one-on-one drives to the basket gets boring. Tara's offense, well-executed and with speed, is very exciting to me. But slow and less well-executed, definitely frustrating to watch.

I wasn't really referring to Tara's Xs & Os; she's quite knowledgeable about that, tho varying personnel execute differently. For me, it's more about the sense of *tightness* I've noticed in her more recent teams. I remember the fluidity and pizzazz that you could see, back in the day when even Jillian Harmon could light it up, cuz she was 'hot' that night. Newlin, Appel, Pedersen--it seemed like ANYbody could take over a game.

Now? The O sisters seemed to be the last ones that felt comfortable in playing freely. I just get the strong vibe that TVD doesn't instill confidence in players to SHINE, to play to their max: I see lots of tentativeness and hesitation, for fear of getting benched or whatever....(?) It may just be my own perception, but....there it is. And if that all changes, I'll be the first to be back on the Cardinal bandwagon. Very Happy

And frankly, I'd rather this thread carry on with the promotion of This Season's Up and Coming Stars. Cool

PostPosted: 09/21/14 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I want to see how Laurin Mincy plays this yr coming back to full strength after her 2nd ACL.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/21/14 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am cautious in my optimism because I don't trust Versyp's coaching, but I am excited to see Whitney Bays and April Wilson at Purdue this year. Bays was coming back from an ACL last year, but still looked very good at the end of the season. Wilson was the best player in the backcourt last year, and now with KK Houser gone she will be able to take over the team and shine.

I expect the two to make a very good tandem this year, and Bays could certainly look like a first round pick for next year's draft.

PeachBasket

PostPosted: 09/21/14 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The player I'm most looking forward to seeing this season is Moriah Jefferson. She puts joy into basketball just by the way she plays. She's finally this year in an upper-class, leadership position on the team and won't feel the need to defer as she has in the past. That should be fun to see.

One hopes that KML has fully recovered and rehabbed from her health issues of a year ago. Much of UConn's season hopes will rest on that being the case.

I will, in passing, be the first person in this thread to mention the name Breanna Stewart as someone worth viewing this coming season. I hear tell she's fair to middling.

Howee

PostPosted: 09/21/14 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PeachBasket wrote:
The player I'm most looking forward to seeing this season is Moriah Jefferson. She puts joy into basketball just by the way she plays. She's finally this year in an upper-class, leadership position on the team and won't feel the need to defer as she has in the past. That should be fun to see.

One hopes that KML has fully recovered and rehabbed from her health issues of a year ago. Much of UConn's season hopes will rest on that being the case.

I will, in passing, be the first person in this thread to mention the name Breanna Stewart as someone worth viewing this coming season. I hear tell she's fair to middling.

LOL! Bre is a *given*, in the same mold as the SimsGrinerDigginsOgwumike type kids mentioned in the first post. I was thinking more in terms of kids most might not already know about. But ya: Breanna WILL be given her due recognition. Cool

Another one I'm thinking is riding low on the radar is SC's Jatarie White; at a #7, she's gotta be more than decent, but A'ja Wilson, as the #1 headed to SC, has probably gotten more attention. Anybody here know more about Jatarie, or heard any early returns on her presence there with Dawn?

PostPosted: 09/21/14 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
PeachBasket wrote:

LOL! Bre is a *given*, in the same mold as the SimsGrinerDigginsOgwumike type kids mentioned in the first post. I was thinking more in terms of kids most might not already know about. But ya: Breanna WILL be given her due recognition. Cool

Another one I'm thinking is riding low on the radar is SC's Jatarie White; at a #7, she's gotta be more than decent, but A'ja Wilson, as the #1 headed to SC, has probably gotten more attention. Anybody here know more about Jatarie, or heard any early returns on her presence there with Dawn?

I don't see how White is going to get enough minutes on that team this year to have much impact.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 09/21/14 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Howee wrote:
PeachBasket wrote:

I don't see how White is going to get enough minutes on that team this year to have much impact.

I agree. There is so much depth at her position on that roster.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/21/14 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jatarie White is very powerful and skilled on the low block and can step out for a jumper. She doesn't have Wilson's handle, drive or passing skills. White will probably battle Coates for minutes.

Wilson vs. White:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/24t90mU0ACo?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
calbearman76

PostPosted: 09/22/14 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brittany Boyd and Reshanda Gray are the two name players at Cal. Boyd needs to show that she can play more under control. Gray needs to improve her defense. Both need to stay out of foul trouble. But the player I am most interested in is Courtney Range. She started off shooting poorly in her freshman year but showed glimpses of stardom by the end of the year.

As for the discussion on TVD, she is one of the best coaches around. Her offense is the product of the players she has. Her teams have featured point guards {Azzi. Paye, Starbird. Gold-Onwude and Orange), solid outside shooting (Nygaard, Powell, Wiggins and Pohlen) and strong interior play (Whiting, Smith, Appel, Pedersen and the Ogwumikes). Wiggins was the only player with superior speed and agility.

As a Cal fan. it hurts to admit that I have always rooted for Stanford women's basketball as the classiest program in the country. This season will be interesting because Stanford doesn't have the best players in the Pac 12 but I still think they are the team to beat, in large part due to TVD.

RP

PostPosted: 09/22/14 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

White is a power forward and will play behind Aleighsa Welch. South Carolina is set at center with Coates and Elem Ibiam.

I am also looking forward to seeing Cuevas play. If you enjoyed watching Sammy Prahalis play, you will like Cuevas.

ddubdawg

PostPosted: 09/24/14 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UofL is taking a big step up in competition this year entering the ACC, but I am very intrigued by what the senior leadership of this team could do.
Bria Smith has really not had the impact that Cards fans expected coming in, but I think she will feel freer this year with Shoni gone.
I believe Jude will show the kind of Bird-esque court leadership that has been overshadowed by big sis. She is truly like a coach on the floor with her khowledge of the game.
Vails and Dyer should be a nice rotation at center, as long as they stay healthy, but the player I think will make huge strides is Sara Hammond.
I really believe Sarawill play herself into a first round selection in the WNBA. She is so talented and has shown moments in her first three seasons, but something just makes me feel like she is going to rise to the test of playing against all the great inside teams of the ACC.

buzzyb

PostPosted: 09/24/14 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ddubdawg wrote:
UofL is taking a big step up in competition this year entering the ACC, but I am very intrigued by what the senior leadership of this team could do.
Bria Smith has really not had the impact that Cards fans expected coming in, but I think she will feel freer this year with Shoni gone.
I believe Jude will show the kind of Bird-esque court leadership that has been overshadowed by big sis. She is truly like a coach on the floor with her khowledge of the game.
Vails and Dyer should be a nice rotation at center, as long as they stay healthy, but the player I think will make huge strides is Sara Hammond.
I really believe Sarawill play herself into a first round selection in the WNBA. She is so talented and has shown moments in her first three seasons, but something just makes me feel like she is going to rise to the test of playing against all the great inside teams of the ACC.

I'm not entirely sure what to expect from Bria this season - she's had some good moments throughout her previous years, but she hasn't really ever had an amazing game (and like you said, now that Shoni is no longer the spot lot player, maybe she'll play better - but I'm not holding my breath).

Jude really does have incredible court vision and will no doubt be in the starting lineup and be leading this team, but she questions herself too much. If she can get out of her head than I think the team is in good hands.

And agree with you when it comes to Sara (except the first round selection, I think she could get drafted, but I just don't see it being in the first round). The main concern with her though is that she likes to get into foul trouble. If she can chill out a bit and play smarter, than she'll be the most important player on the team.

Howee

PostPosted: 09/24/14 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ddubdawg wrote:
....but the player I think will make huge strides is Sara Hammond.

I've long been impressed by Ms. Hammond. Doesn't she mostly play at the 5? I'm thinking she'd do well to brush up on her skills as a 4, because that might serve her better at the next level.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: