RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Miscellaneous non-conference schedules
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 08/31/14 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

deanjet wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Considering the lineup that led to their grossly inflated 13-0 record last year, Ark's games vs Oklahoma, Iowa, Rutgers and Richmond represent a giant improvement.

I like that we're playing road games at Middle Tennessee, Missouri State, and Tulsa as well. We need the road experience before SEC play.

Razorbacks are really promoting Dykes.....the school's social media are hyping all his public appearances before teammakers etc. Lots of pics and, as you would expect given his background, soundbytes.

leeshajo

PostPosted: 09/03/14 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

South Dakota State's Full OOC

Thu, Oct 30 -- South Dakota Tech (exh.)
Sat, Nov 08 -- Northern State (exh.)
Fri, Nov 14 -- BYU
Tue, Nov 18 -- Creighton
Sat, Nov 22 – DePaul at Chicago, Ill.
Mon, Nov 24 -- Sam Houston State
Sat, Nov 29 -- UNLV Tournament at Las Vegas, Nev. (Other teams are UNLV, Northern Illinois and Deleware)
Sun, Nov 30 -- UNLV Tournament at Las Vegas, Nev.
Thu, Dec 04 -- Arkansas at Little Rock, Ark.
Sat, Dec 06 -- Northern Colorado at Greeley, Colo.
Wed, Dec 10 -- Wisconsin-Green Bay
Mon, Dec 15 -- Middle Tennessee State
Thu, Dec 18 -- Arkansas Little Rock
Sun, Dec 21 -- Marist at Poughkeepsie, N.Y.
Mon, Dec 29 -- Northern Iowa at Cedar Falls, Iowa

** We may have taken a hit on the year already, rumors are floating that our starting PG has been seen on campus in a full leg brace. Will update when I hear more.

Also, I am seeing a lot of hours on the road in the next few months (it is 2.5 hours one way to Brookings.

PostPosted: 09/04/14 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

leeshajo wrote:

BYU, Green Bay, Middle Tennessee State, UA-Little Rock, @ Marist, @ Northern Iowa

Creighton, @ DePaul, @ Arkansas

Might that schedule set up to help give them some separation if they find themselves on the NCAA Tournament bubble with other mid-major teams? I mean, they are clearly playing most of the other mid-majors that tend to be among the best in the country and could find themselves sweating it out on the bubble if they get upset in their conference tourneys.

I like those Big East/SEC games for them as well...all winnable

shadowboxer

PostPosted: 09/04/14 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CMU appears to be definitely attempting to get their star player, Crystal Bradford, seen on major stages for a possible WNBA shot.

Also, now that most Midmajors basic conference winning has become doubly useless, at least in terms of earning that outside shot at a possible NCAA tourney slot, the need will still and only be to win their Tourney Championship. Just for fun, they now face the added complication of needing to win an NCAA sponsored Midmajor round robin type tourney.

In light of the above, it will be in more and more midmajors' interests to play decent Major teams to heighten their competitive level of play, regardless of close losses, like CMU has done since Bradford's aquisition. Doing this should enable those midmajors a better shot at winning their own league Championship, and perhaps that following NCAA round robin, and finally a ticket to the dance.

Since it does nothing for lower level Majors to win or lose to a midmajor by a hair, on their or the midmajor's home arena, I suspect it will be nearly impossible for decent midmajors to schedule games with even half-way decent Majors, without a large outlay of cash, or even with it.

Just love the new increased parity. Rolling Eyes And I didn't even remark on increased recruiting competitiveness.

shadowboxer

PostPosted: 09/04/14 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.utrockets.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=18000&SPID=10722&SPSID=89716

Speak of the devil. Just rolled in. Better than last year's schedule. Thanks Purdue, Dayton, St.Bonnie, Virginia and Idaho(?).

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/04/14 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shadowboxer wrote:
CMU appears to be definitely attempting to get their star player, Crystal Bradford, seen on major stages for a possible WNBA shot.

Also, now that most Midmajors basic conference winning has become doubly useless, at least in terms of earning that outside shot at a possible NCAA tourney slot, the need will still and only be to win their Tourney Championship. Just for fun, they now face the added complication of needing to win an NCAA sponsored Midmajor round robin type tourney.

In light of the above, it will be in more and more midmajors' interests to play decent Major teams to heighten their competitive level of play, regardless of close losses, like CMU has done since Bradford's aquisition. Doing this should enable those midmajors a better shot at winning their own league Championship, and perhaps that following NCAA round robin, and finally a ticket to the dance.

Since it does nothing for lower level Majors to win or lose to a midmajor by a hair, on their or the midmajor's home arena, I suspect it will be nearly impossible for decent midmajors to schedule games with even half-way decent Majors, without a large outlay of cash, or even with it.

Just love the new increased parity. Rolling Eyes And I didn't even remark on increased recruiting competitiveness.

Bradford, though, is hurt. CMU won't reveal her injury, but in March she hurt her knee and the word from the school is that they expect her to play this season -- not saying when, however. She's not playing right now.

PostPosted: 09/04/14 8:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Bradford, though, is hurt. CMU won't reveal her injury, but in March she hurt her knee and the word from the school is that they expect her to play this season -- not saying when, however. She's not playing right now.

At the time she was injured, the Mt. Pleasant newspaper reported that it was a left PCL injury with significant bone bruising, and that she had undergone arthroscopic surgery. As I understand it, a PCL injury is less common than an ACL, but I don't know if recovery is more or less difficult.

PostPosted: 09/05/14 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I had a girl with a PCL, and it was a nightmare. They didn't know how to treat it ... I'm sure Bradford will get better care, but this girl wound up essentially missing her entire senior season after hurting it in February.

So from my experience, it's like an ACL.

PostPosted: 09/05/14 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I had a girl with a PCL, and it was a nightmare. They didn't know how to treat it ... I'm sure Bradford will get better care, but this girl wound up essentially missing her entire senior season after hurting it in February.

So from my experience, it's like an ACL.

A PCL injury can be just as bad or worse as an ACL in terms of recovery, it can also not quicker in terms of recovery, of course it depends on the level of tear and the other things that happened in the knee at the time.

Also a bruised bone can be very painful and sometimes take a long time to heal. I had a friend who bruised her knee in early December and missed the rest of the season, she wasn't cleared for 5 months. Whenever her knee would start feeling better and she would do a little more, her knee would start to hurt again and she ended up redshirting the season.

Howee

PostPosted: 09/06/14 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
dinkytown wrote:
Minnesota

Home: Southeastern Louisiana, Cleveland State, Southern, Butler, Liberty, Central Michigan
Away: Memphis, North Carolina State, North Dakota
Neutral: Vanderbilt + 2 TBD (Gulf Coast Showcase)

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/sched/minn-w-baskbl-sched.html

Minnesota schedules like this and then complains each year when they get no benefit of the doubt from the committee. They won't get the benefit of the doubt next March either.

You want to be taken seriously? Play somebody.

I wonder how much Stolling and staff had to do with putting this schedule together.

Hell's bells....it's not THAT bad. CMU and Liberty aren't all that cup-cakey, and with schools like Vandy, NCState, and (possibly) UConn, it's better than Baylor's OOC schedule from last year. MN just needs to string more wins together so OOC strength isn't so necessary to gaining a ticket for The Dance. Razz

PostPosted: 09/06/14 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
dinkytown wrote:
Minnesota

Home: Southeastern Louisiana, Cleveland State, Southern, Butler, Liberty, Central Michigan
Away: Memphis, North Carolina State, North Dakota
Neutral: Vanderbilt + 2 TBD (Gulf Coast Showcase)

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/sched/minn-w-baskbl-sched.html

Minnesota schedules like this and then complains each year when they get no benefit of the doubt from the committee. They won't get the benefit of the doubt next March either.

You want to be taken seriously? Play somebody.

I wonder how much Stolling and staff had to do with putting this schedule together.

Hell's bells....it's not THAT bad. CMU and Liberty aren't all that cup-cakey, and with schools like Vandy, NCState, and (possibly) UConn, it's better than Baylor's OOC schedule from last year. MN just needs to string more wins together so OOC strength isn't so necessary to gaining a ticket for The Dance. Razz

Actually, Liberty is not all that well-regarded (I live just up the road from there, and as a fellow mid-major, they are pretty much dissed). Looking at the schedule, I'd give more points to Vandy, NC State, CMU and even Memphis, which has been known to get some decent players now and then. I don't know much about NDU…..

PostPosted: 09/06/14 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought Liberty pretty much dominated the Big South on a regular basis, no? I mean, yes, it's The Big South, but still....

PostPosted: 09/06/14 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
I thought Liberty pretty much dominated the Big South on a regular basis, no? I mean, yes, it's The Big South, but still....

They had some glorious moments with Feenstra, then the Frazees, but they haven't been much since.

(now with spelling variations)
summertime blues

PostPosted: 09/06/14 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Howee wrote:

They had some glorious moments with Feenstra, then the Frazees, but they haven't been much since.

And they still didn't get THAT far in the NCAA. I think they realized they were at a definite disadvantage when homeschooled evangelical Taber Spani signed with Tennessee. She was the kind they were really after and thought they would have had in the bag. Not so fast, Falwell (Jr.)!

PostPosted: 09/06/14 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hofstra's schedule was released yesterday through a google hangout.
http://www.gohofstra.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=109674&SPID=13596&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209633623&DB_OEM_ID=22200

leeshajo

PostPosted: 09/16/14 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
leeshajo wrote:

BYU, Green Bay, Middle Tennessee State, UA-Little Rock, @ Marist, @ Northern Iowa

Creighton, @ DePaul, @ Arkansas

Might that schedule set up to help give them some separation if they find themselves on the NCAA Tournament bubble with other mid-major teams? I mean, they are clearly playing most of the other mid-majors that tend to be among the best in the country and could find themselves sweating it out on the bubble if they get upset in their conference tourneys.

I like those Big East/SEC games for them as well...all winnable

Honestly, this isn't all that different from how AJ schedules every year. 5-6 good mid majors ( I so hate that term) 3 or so Power 5. If you look at our SOS for non-conf we historically come out in the top 25-30 or so heading into conference play. It is our conference that pulls us down. BUT that is getting better. NDSU Looking at YOU!

PostPosted: 09/16/14 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Howee wrote:

And they still didn't get THAT far in the NCAA. I think they realized they were at a definite disadvantage when homeschooled evangelical Taber Spani signed with Tennessee. She was the kind they were really after and thought they would have had in the bag. Not so fast, Falwell (Jr.)!

....not that Ms. Taber would have done them that much good anyways. She certainly didn't set TN on fire. Shocked (....do you know, is she playing overseas?)

PostPosted: 09/17/14 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Howee wrote:

....not that Ms. Taber would have done them that much good anyways. She certainly didn't set TN on fire. Shocked (....do you know, is she playing overseas?)

She was a solid player for UT, but she was never meant to be a world-on-fire type. Some players are meant to be the glue that holds everyone together, and that's the kind Taber was. She was injured a lot, also, which didn't help....chronic back problems, IIRC. I have no idea what she's doing now. Somehow I see her as a future HS coach.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: