RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

A sign that the season is officially starting.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 08/20/14 10:26 pm    ::: A sign that the season is officially starting. Reply Reply with quote

Retweeted by GamecockWBB
dawnstaley ‏@dawnstaley 1h

Just want to thank @GamecockWBB players for sacrificing social media for the season beginning at 12:01am. Your sacrifice will pay off. #one

Joe Foss

PostPosted: 08/20/14 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seems more like a sign that Dawn Staley is a control freak.

PostPosted: 08/21/14 12:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So if the get their butts kicked and they are not number one, does that mean they get their toys back?

Don't know if it is true or not but apparently Geno has the same rule but does not thank them for the sacrifice, just do it.

PostPosted: 08/21/14 12:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
So if the get their butts kicked and they are not number one, does that mean they get their toys back?

Don't know if it is true or not but apparently Geno has the same rule but does not thank them for the sacrifice, just do it.

How do you know he doesn't thank them for all their sacrifices, I'd imagine it comes up multiple times throughout the season during team meetings, practices, etc.

GEF34

PostPosted: 08/21/14 12:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joe Foss wrote:
Seems more like a sign that Dawn Staley is a control freak.

I don't see how it's a sign she is a control freak, how do you even know it was her idea?

scfastpitch

PostPosted: 08/21/14 6:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Last year the team gave up eating meat and fried food during the season . I was told the team captains came up with that idea , but Dawn does happen to be a vegetarian . Maybe she makes "suggestions" to the captains .

BallState1984

PostPosted: 08/21/14 6:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gee, my signs are Boiler Net and Cardinal Court applications and getting my credentials.

PostPosted: 08/21/14 7:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seems kinda funny to me that she would choose social media to thank her players for sacrificing social media. Rolling Eyes

Queenie

PostPosted: 08/21/14 8:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And1 wrote:
Seems kinda funny to me that she would choose social media to thank her players for sacrificing social media. Rolling Eyes

That might also be to let people know that if you tweet at them and they don't respond, they're not being princesses and ignoring you.

(now with spelling variations)
Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 08/21/14 8:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:

How do you know he doesn't thank them for all their sacrifices, I'd imagine it comes up multiple times throughout the season during team meetings, practices, etc.

How do you know it comes up multiple times in practice, teams meetings throughout the season?

PostPosted: 08/21/14 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lots of levels in this one, but seems pretty harmless overall.

A lot of teams swear off something (alcohol, candy, etc.) or each individual swears off something for the season. Such "sacrifices" strengthen commitment, supposedly, and often happen without the knowledge of the coaches.

The social media aspect also helps keep such things as injuries and possible discontent under wraps, and that could be a strategic advantage during what could be a very good season.

And yes, maybe Staley is a control freak (I have no clue), but she wouldn't be the first coach to fall into that category.

PostPosted: 08/21/14 10:54 am    ::: Re: A sign that the season is officially starting. Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Retweeted by GamecockWBB

Just want to thank @GamecockWBB players for sacrificing social media for the season beginning at 12:01am. Your sacrifice will pay off. #one

I hope she does the same, I think it's a double standard for players to be forced off social media and the coaches not...do what you expect and don't demand what you cannot or will not do yourself.

PostPosted: 08/21/14 12:11 pm    ::: Re: A sign that the season is officially starting. Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
Retweeted by GamecockWBB

I hope she does the same, I think it's a double standard for players to be forced off social media and the coaches not...do what you expect and don't demand what you cannot or will not do yourself.

I don't see that at all.

It would be one thing if coaches were tweeting what they are having for dinner tonight, or what shoes they just bought. But most use Twitter to advance the interest of their basketball teams - especially in communicating to recruits.

So I see zero reason why a coach should stop just because they consider it a distraction for the players.

scfastpitch

PostPosted: 08/21/14 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

By the way, I hope you guys realize that's a "hashtag one" at the end of Dawn's tweet . "one" is the theme Dawn and the South Carolina marketing dept. came up with for this year's team . While striving to be number one is certainly part of it , it also represents everyone being of one accord and striving for the same goals . She wasn't telling them they'll be number one if they give up social media .

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 08/21/14 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scfastpitch wrote:
Last year the team gave up eating meat and fried food during the season . I was told the team captains came up with that idea , but Dawn does happen to be a vegetarian . Maybe she makes "suggestions" to the captains .

Yeah, that'll be the day. If I was playing in college and they wanted me to give up meat, I'd be asking for transfer papers. I don't want to play for anyone who comes up with such preposterously stupid ideas like that.
icey23

PostPosted: 08/21/14 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nikki made her team do this last year

PostPosted: 08/21/14 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

icey23 wrote:

Which one - no meat or no tweet?

PostPosted: 08/21/14 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joe Foss wrote:
icey23 wrote:

Which one - no meat or no tweet?

no tweet

PostPosted: 08/21/14 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:

How do you know it comes up multiple times in practice, teams meetings throughout the season?

Since I never said "I know", I don't really have an answer to your question.

But based on what I did say, the reason I did say it is because I've been in various team meetings and practices and I've had the opportunity to listen to different coaches, and typically they will talk about how sacrifices pay off, and they understand the things they players are giving up, whether it's the coach asking or a teammate asking. So to me I would be more surprised if a coach, any coach, didn't acknowledge to their team they are thankful or appreciative of the sacrifices they have made for the team.

linkster

PostPosted: 08/25/14 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A sign of the start of the season:

Coaches announcing that their injured players are "on schedule" to being 100% for the start of practice/the season.

http://elmcitytoeaglevillenhr.blogspot.com/

Queenie

PostPosted: 08/25/14 8:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My favorite one is schedules being released so I can put together my spreadsheet (of doom).

(now with spelling variations)
Ladyvol777

PostPosted: 08/25/14 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have notice that the Tennessee girls hardly use Twitter anymore.

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/26/14 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ladyvol777 wrote:

If I were a college coach at a major program, I would urge the players not to use any social media ... and if they did, to never post anything about basketball.

Little to gain, lots to lose ...

PostPosted: 08/26/14 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Ladyvol777 wrote:

If I were a college coach at a major program, I would urge the players not to use any social media ... and if they did, to never post anything about basketball.

That's good advice. But I guess the question is, would you give them that advice and then trust them to act responsibly? Or would you ban it?

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/26/14 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Ladyvol777 wrote:

That's good advice. But I guess the question is, would you give them that advice and then trust them to act responsibly? Or would you ban it?

Tough call ... depends on your team, past history, etc.

You could get away with not banning it outright but warn that the first questionable post by anyone bans it for everyone. If the first transgression isn't that bad in terms of negative impact, you're OK, and the players can't blame you because they were warned.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: