RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn's OOC
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
calbearman76

PostPosted: 08/11/14 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Combine this with UConn's AAC schedule, no matter what it is, and how many interesting home games will be played at Gampel/XL? Is the combined schedule likely to reverse the 10-year attendance decline?

If I read this right, South Carolina, Duke, DePaul plus UCLA at Uncasville (which I guess technically isn't home). It's not awful by any means.

It seems to me that the NCAA rule, at least as it applies to the men, is that if you play at least three games in a season at an off campus site (other than an 8 team tournament) it is considered an alternate home court. I don't know if this applies to the women, but it probably should.

linkster

PostPosted: 08/11/14 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
You didn't really compare UConn WBB to the Globetrotters did you?

No

Quote:
There is no Globetrotters "game". It's a clown show, a comedy act, mostly scripted, part improv. There is no "game", there's no rules, no one is "playing" anything, there's no competition, there's no winner or loser. It's an act. A comedy act. A stage show. They do the same show night after night.

They draw crowds the same way that Steve Martin or Tina Fey or Stephen Fry draw crowds. People go to laugh and watch the clowns.

And I don't think too many people pay to go to see the same comedy act - Globetrotters or anyone else - twenty times in a six month window. Seen it once? Been there, done that, maybe go back in five or ten years.

But if you want to consider UConn basketball a clown act rather than an athletic competition, well I guess that's your choice.

My response was to a POV that UConn games are a bore because of a) lopsided talent &/or b) lopsided score. I took that to mean un-entertaining and gave my reasons.

I defer to you when it comes to clowns.

Queenie

PostPosted: 08/11/14 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's only August, guys. Can we keep the sniping to a dull roar, please?

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 08/17/14 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Fighting Artichoke wrote:
beknighted wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Combine this with UConn's AAC schedule, no matter what it is, and how many interesting home games will be played at Gampel/XL? Is the combined schedule likely to reverse the 10-year attendance decline?

If I read this right, South Carolina, Duke, DePaul plus UCLA at Uncasville (which I guess technically isn't home). It's not awful by any means.

Overall, UConn's OOC schedule is certainly strong. While there are marquee home games OOC, the season tickets would primarily be conference games that could never be competitive. I believe that the game in Uncasville is not in either season ticket package, as they sell the Gampel and Hartford (XL Center) packages separately. As of now, they have not released which games would be in Gampel and which would be in Hartford, so you're not sure what you're getting. UConn also charges a fair amount for their season tickets, so it isn't like one would want to buy the packages just for the games against South Carolina, Duke, DePaul, and perhaps South Florida.

As a side note, I think it's a little weird to consider the Mohegan Sun a neutral site game (as it's likely to have considerably more UConn than UCLA fans).

UConn has played fewer games at the XL lately. They have to share the money with Hartford and unless they can draw a lot more than the 10K at Gampel it's not economically advantageous. I really don't think the opponents matter much to the fans unless it's Notre Dame (other than Cth). Hell, the UConn crowd gets nervous whenever the lead slips under 20. The UConn games have become a lot like a Globetrotter game in that the fans come to see one team perform. Next year they'll need to have multiple defibrillators at the home games against Notre Dame and S Carolina. LOL

The Sun Arena could replace the XL in the future.

Brilliant.

PostPosted: 08/18/14 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
linkster wrote:

crisp passing, excellent shooting and a high level of energy for 40 minutes.

I'll be satisfied to watch a lot of games where only one team knows how to play entertaining BB.

Okay, linkster, you're an uber-fan of "UConn basketball". Many of us will watch one-sided contests, like the U18 Games, for free on the tube or 'puter. Now be an honest uber-fan. How many of the UConn home games will you actually pay to see in person?

Last year I went to 2 games, at MSG and the HOF game in Springfield. I went because I could get good seats. The price wasn't much of a factor. Both games were lopsided wins and I enjoyed every minute. The way to get those seats at Gampel or the XL is to donate a couple thousand (or more) or have friends who have an occasional extra ticket. If I am sitting in the bleachers I'd have to leave at halftime because of my body and my 47" HD screen gives me a better view than the upper level in the XL. But that's me. I need 2 knee replacements.

Glenn, you have more than once called UConn's blowout games unwatchable and that you would not go. I once asked you to explain how you travelled all over NY to watch girl's HS games that I consider unwatchable. Specifically I asked why you could watch UConn recruiting targets, tell us how wonderful they played in lopsided wins and yet find those same players boring at the college level? There were several games in which Chong sat most of the 4th quarter because of the lead. Is it simply that there are no good Pizza parlors near Hartford and Storrs or is it something else?

ucdt3

PostPosted: 08/18/14 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

If Minnesota can get by Vanderbilt in the first round of the Gulf Coast Showcase, they'll likely collide with UConn. Woo hoo!

Everyone wondering why UConn first match-up is FGCU...

I guess we now may have an answer as to why...if we seed the teams...

1. UConn
8. FGCU

4. Minnesota
5. Vanderbilt

2. GA Tech
7. UWGB

3. ASU
6. Villanova
Phil

PostPosted: 08/18/14 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucdt3 wrote:

Everyone wondering why UConn first match-up is FGCU...

I guess we now may have an answer as to why...if we seed the teams...

1. UConn
8. FGCU

4. Minnesota
5. Vanderbilt

2. GA Tech
7. UWGB

3. ASU
6. Villanova

Well that's not what everybody is wondering. For example, I'm wondering why you mention FGCU. I wish they were in it, but unless something changed very recently, they are not playing in it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: