RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Scholarship info site

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil

PostPosted: 08/15/14 7:57 pm    ::: Scholarship info site Reply Reply with quote

I ran across an interesting site:
http://www.scholarshipstats.com/basketball.htm

but it raised some questions I could not answer, so I'm hoping the illuminati here can help.

I am surprised at how different the averages are for men and women.

For example, Alabama State , the men's average is 18K while the women's average is 22K. I expect some differences due to the different mix of classes, but I didn't expect that much. Is that it, or tis there something else going on? [Edit, as Artbest points out, the average columns are for all sports, not just basketball]

Why do so many schools list a larger roster size than the maximums? I understand that some teams carry a couple walk-ons, but I would have guessed that a site talking about scholarships might have excluded them. Even if walk-ons are included, the numbers are too high. Michigan lists a roster size of 40. Really?

Is Tulane that much more expensive than Duke or Stanford? [edit, misleading, because I missed that the average is over all sports, so there are partials in non-basketball sports]

I feel like I'm missing something.

Last edited by Phil on 08/16/14 7:24 am; edited 2 times in total
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/15/14 11:25 pm    ::: Re: Scholarship info site Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:

but it raised some questions I could not answer, so I'm hoping the illuminati here can help.

For example, Alabama State , the men's average is 18K while the women's average is 22K. I expect some differences due to the different mix of classes, but I didn't expect that much. Is that it, or tis there something else going on?

Why do so many schools list a larger roster size than the maximums? I understand that some teams carry a couple walk-ons, but I would have guessed that a site talking about scholarships might have excluded them. Even if walk-ons are included, the numbers are too high. Michigan lists a roster size of 40. Really?

Is Tulane that much more expensive than Duke or Stanford?

I think the difference in average is entirely due to the partial scholarship sports. It says "athletically based student aid is the average per participating student athlete for all varsity sports sponsored by the specific school." So those sports in which scholarships are split into halves and quarters will lower the average per student while not changing the total. Even if the absolute dollars spent on men and women at a school was identical, those dollars may be divided among a different number of athletes producing different averages.

My guess is Tulane probably doesn't fund as many minor sport scholarships where scholarships are split as Duke, so their number likely reflects a higher proportion of full rides in FB and BB where split scholarships aren't allowed and thus their average is higher. I.e, if a full scholarship is worth $40K at two schools, but one school gives 10 full scholarships while the other gives 10 full, 8 halves and 12 quarters, the former would show a $40k avg while the latter would show an avg of $22,667. Which also means the number can't be tied to tuition costs at the schools without knowing the number of full scholarship equivalents.

Or that's my best guess.

But I don't understand the roster size information at all.

GEF34

PostPosted: 08/15/14 11:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I may be wrong on this, but I believe student-athletes who have finished their athletic eligibility, but have not completed their academic programs count, so so a team has a senior class of 5, and 4 return to school for a 5th year, those 4 would be added toward the roster size, as well as players who have applied and been granted an injury retirement, because they are still receiving money from the team, even though they are not part of the team anymore. As for the Michigan, I'm not really sure, I don't follow that team or the student-athletes, it could be they have had many players leave who didn't graduate so they still count, or maybe it's counting something else like managers who are on scholarship for example.

scfastpitch

PostPosted: 08/16/14 7:11 am    ::: Re: Scholarship info site Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:

For example, Alabama State , the men's average is 18K while the women's average is 22K. I expect some differences due to the different mix of classes, but I didn't expect that much. Is that it, or tis there something else going on?

Is Tulane that much more expensive than Duke or Stanford?

I can't make any sense out of that chart . South Carolina had 12 on their roster this past season , two of which were walkons . They also had Shelbretta Ball , who was on a medical scholarship , for a total of 13 . The chart shows 23 . Are they counting women's practice squads or something ?

Phil

PostPosted: 08/16/14 7:18 am    ::: Not partials Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, I think you got it. Which means it is a terrible chart. I saw D1 basketball, and made the assumption that it was,well D1 basketball. It looks like the counts are D1 basketball, but the averages are all sports.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 08/16/14 7:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think there are some schools that count their practice players, whether they be male or female. I also know that these numbers are often fudged so that they fall in line with the requirements of Title XI, especially at the schools that play major college football.

In looking at that chart for a while, it does appear as though it is just referring to basketball.

No matter what, it is very confusing, makes little sense and is very hard to draw many conclusions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: