RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Cute video re the "development" of the ND freshmen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/01/14 2:10 pm    ::: Cute video re the "development" of the ND freshmen Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hXW4Cj2sydQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 08/01/14 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Man, they have improved dramatically!

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 08/01/14 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think this was a contest where each class made a video and it was put up for fans to vote on their favorite. If I am correct, the frosh video won.

linkster

PostPosted: 08/01/14 7:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice video. As they dribbled by those chairs I half expected to see them fall on their backsides with a pleading look for the refs. Very Happy

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/02/14 12:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The seniors video was fun, but with Madison Cable in it I'm not surprised! Laughing

Phil

PostPosted: 08/02/14 8:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Nice video. As they dribbled by those chairs I half expected to see them fall on their backsides with a pleading look for the refs. Very Happy

heh, that would have been funny.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/02/14 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
linkster wrote:

There's a great dissertation topic - " Folklore and shared mythology of college sports fans"

UConn WBB fans would provide more than enough material.

linkster

PostPosted: 08/02/14 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Phil wrote:
linkster wrote:

There's a great dissertation topic - " Folklore and shared mythology of college sports fans"

I concede the "mythology" title to the Irish. From Rockne and the Gipper to the golden dome and Touchdown Jesus they are without peer.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/02/14 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Phil wrote:
linkster wrote:

I concede the "mythology" title to the Irish. From Rockne and the Gipper to the golden dome and Touchdown Jesus they are without peer.
-

The difference of course being that those things all exist. There is a world of difference between tradition and your fairy tails.

-

linkster

PostPosted: 08/02/14 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Phil wrote:
linkster wrote:

-

The difference of course being that those things all exist. There is a world of difference between tradition and your fairy tails.

-

You are confusing mythology and fantasy. Myth's are often based on real people and events. It's time and the embellishment of ardent fans that turns them into myths. Summitt is a mythic personality, despite being real.

The women of Notre Dame turned flopping into an art form. Hell, Diggins did a great one at the end of the W allstar game. Muffet taught her well.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/02/14 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Phil wrote:
linkster wrote:

-

-

You are confusing mythology and fantasy. Myth's are often based on real people and events. It's time and the embellishment of ardent fans that turns them into myths. Summitt is a mythic personality, despite being real.

The women of Notre Dame turned flopping into an art form. Hell, Diggins did a great one at the end of the W allstar game. Muffet taught her well.

You can call it mythology, you can call it fantasy, you can call it fairy tale, but it's certainly fictional and shared, so thanks for proving my point.

Or maybe you just forgot where you were and thought you were on that troll board you frequent. I'm sure your buddy Tribble and the other Boneyard rejects there would have laughed.

Queenie

PostPosted: 08/02/14 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seriously, guys? Y'all gotta turn this into a shitstorm that fast? Stand. DOWN.

(now with spelling variations)
Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 08/03/14 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

Amen!!!

PostPosted: 08/03/14 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now getting back to the ND freshman, Art do you see any of them starting, especially Brianna Turner and what do you expect from them as far as impact?

PostPosted: 08/03/14 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
Now getting back to the ND freshman, Art do you see any of them starting, especially Brianna Turner and what do you expect from them as far as impact?

I think there is no doubt all three will play. To me it's 50/50 whether Turner or Markisha Wright will start at the 4, especially at the start of the season. Although McGraw may already know. I haven't really heard much about what's going on this summer.

Realistically, there probably just aren't a lot of minutes available for Johnson although I expect her to contribute; there's a lot more opportunity for Turner and Westbeld.

My biggest curiosity heading into the season is whether Diamond Thompson or Kristina Nelson have developed enough to give meaningful contributions this year.

linkster

PostPosted: 08/03/14 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

Excuse me but I only tried to add a bit of humor to a humorous video. I have nothing for which I need to "stand down". It was the Irish fan who resorted to a personal attack after his team got teased.

I don't play the flame game.

Pat Summitt's career was both very real and mythic. Art is wrong. Sorry if that upsets him.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 08/03/14 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:

I think there is no doubt all three will play. To me it's 50/50 whether Turner or Markisha Wright will start at the 4, especially at the start of the season. Although McGraw may already know. I haven't really heard much about what's going on this summer.

Realistically, there probably just aren't a lot of minutes available for Johnson although I expect her to contribute; there's a lot more opportunity for Turner and Westbeld.

My biggest curiosity heading into the season is whether Diamond Thompson or Kristina Nelson have developed enough to give meaningful contributions this year.

Thanks, Art. It will be interesting to watch the career trajectory of Brianna Turner as I think she is destined for greatness, it just a matter of when.

PostPosted: 08/06/14 2:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Excuse me but I only tried to add a bit of humor to a humorous video. I have nothing for which I need to "stand down". It was the Irish fan who resorted to a personal attack after his team got teased.

Pat Summitt's career was both very real and mythic. Art is wrong. Sorry if that upsets him.

Really? It might sound "harmless" to you but considering all the huge whining from many UConn fans about "flopping" by ND players (and basically the suggestion, therefore, by some that it was the only reason ND was able to beat UConn in the last few years), it isn't that "harmless" from the ND perspective. Basically, when they were saying that, it was a suggestion that ND didn't "earn" those victories. They were "given" to ND by the refs. Would you like an implication that a UConn win wasn't earned? That's what those "flopping" suggestions say.

I spent a rather long post going over the games in 2013 where I showed that the foul calling was fairly equal until UConn started missing FTs, etc. In fact, in the BE Finals, ND was actually called for more fouls! Yet still that myth persists.

Why? Well, UConn gets called for very few fouls. ND's opponents actually are called for a fairly normal number of them for games against a top 10 team. That suggests that UConn, unlike ND, is the outlier. Maybe refs tend to "swallow their whistle" more when UConn is playing. Therefore, UConn fans aren't used to normal foul calling, so when a game is called normally, they cry "Flopping!" Just something to think about. Look at the stats for both teams compared to other top 10 teams if you think I'm wrong.

If your team was constantly accused of something, I highly doubt that a fan of another team using it as a "joke" would be laughed off by you. I've seen responses to attacks against UConn. It isn't pretty.

As for you not "playing the flame game..." LOL! Yeah right!

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 08/06/14 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Flopping is a universal phenomena with no particular school having sole ownership of the practice. Far from it, which is why there has been such scrutiny and enforcement to prevent it. Everybody does or did it.

Fouls are not the result of favoritism more to poor defensive habits, offensive style of play and bad and sometimes rarely good officiating. I do not believe ND gets the call, it is just their slashing cutting style of play that increases the probability that they will get fouled. Rather than complaining about them maybe other teams should emulate them if their want is to get to the foul line.

Frankly I don't know where ND stood last year as far as getting to the foul line as opposed to the opposition. I followed it closely when Diggins was there and although there was a favorable discrepancy it had nothing to do with favoritism particularly when playing UCONN as again ND with Diggins was a penetrating team whereas UCONN was more perimeter based.

PostPosted: 08/06/14 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The other classes at Guard U. (for Utopia) also made videos.

The sophs mistakenly say the campus grotto is modeled after a place in Italy when it's actually modeled after Lourdes in France. Nevertheless, this is the most educational video.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ABQvPNLoRd4?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The juniors mispel Colin Powell as Collin Powell.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1hgNYF1XszI?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The seniors have the most entertaining video, in my opinion, because it features a tune popular when my grand-kid was little.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/216v3XdpOmQ?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
linkster

PostPosted: 08/06/14 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
linkster wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Really? It might sound "harmless" to you but considering all the huge whining from many UConn fans about "flopping" by ND players (and basically the suggestion, therefore, by some that it was the only reason ND was able to beat UConn in the last few years), it isn't that "harmless" from the ND perspective. Basically, when they were saying that, it was a suggestion that ND didn't "earn" those victories. They were "given" to ND by the refs. Would you like an implication that a UConn win wasn't earned? That's what those "flopping" suggestions say.

I spent a rather long post going over the games in 2013 where I showed that the foul calling was fairly equal until UConn started missing FTs, etc. In fact, in the BE Finals, ND was actually called for more fouls! Yet still that myth persists.

Why? Well, UConn gets called for very few fouls. ND's opponents actually are called for a fairly normal number of them for games against a top 10 team. That suggests that UConn, unlike ND, is the outlier. Maybe refs tend to "swallow their whistle" more when UConn is playing. Therefore, UConn fans aren't used to normal foul calling, so when a game is called normally, they cry "Flopping!" Just something to think about. Look at the stats for both teams compared to other top 10 teams if you think I'm wrong.

If your team was constantly accused of something, I highly doubt that a fan of another team using it as a "joke" would be laughed off by you. I've seen responses to attacks against UConn. It isn't pretty.

As for you not "playing the flame game..." LOL! Yeah right!

Glad to see you back CB. Must be getting close to the start of practice.

LOL Look CB, it was intended as a humorous post and I'm not responsible for what other posters obsess over. It was a video intended to amuse and not a serious look at the freshmen so I responded with what I thought was a funny comment. Sorry if I triggered your OGS but I still think it would have been hilarious if one of them bounced off a chair and fell backward. And I was talking about drawing fouls, not committing them. Apples and oranges.

As for this: "As for you not "playing the flame game..." LOL! Yeah right" I may post some barbs but I challenge you to find even one post anywhere where I insulted another poster with name-calling over what they posted. There are several fans of several teams that can't keep from using terms like idiot or stupid or worse when pressed on a post. I may make a sarcastic comment but it's always about the post, not the poster. I suggest you talk to Art. He has left a trail of insulted posters wishing him a fond goodbye from their board. The last time I threw an insult at a poster was when Volboy posted that he hoped Geno would die a horrible death from cancer for what he supposedly said about Pat Summitt. That was at least 5 years ago on the ESPN board.

And BTW, UConn doesn't foul because they learned to defend with their feet instead of their hands. Simple as that. Well maybe not so simple. The other reason is that their guards were backed up by the best shot blocking team in wcbb history. What is shocking is that other teams didn't change their defensive techniques to comply with the new rules interpretations this past season. I was shocked at all the silly hand checks that were still getting called in the NCAA's.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: