RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Former Cal AD Barbour to Penn State

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 07/26/14 11:20 am    ::: Former Cal AD Barbour to Penn State Reply Reply with quote

http://www.statecollege.com/news/psu-news/penn-state-names-excal-ad-sandy-barbour-as-new-athletic-director,1460165/

Quote:
Penn State has named former Cal Berkeley athletic director Sandy Barbour to succeed Dave Joyner as Penn State’s next AD.

ESPN.com first reported the news, which was confirmed by Barbour on her Twitter account minutes before a scheduled news conference at Beaver Stadium.

Barbour, who resigned on June 27, was athletic director at Cal since September 2004. She will be Penn State’s first woman athletic director.

CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 07/26/14 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good for her. She got quite a job on her hands, but nice to see Penn State step up and hire her in an effort to break the insular culture that has plagued the athletic department there.

She'll have to deal with her share of (male football fan) misogyny again, but I guess she's used to that.

Only one request Sandy, can you remove the "Lady" from the Lions? Wink

dfineguy

PostPosted: 07/26/14 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Barbour will be reunited with Coquese. They were both at South Bend a decade ago. Sandy inherits some very strong women's programs at PSU.

PostPosted: 07/26/14 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dfineguy wrote:
Barbour will be reunited with Coquese. They were both at South Bend a decade ago. Sandy inherits some very strong women's programs at PSU.

And most of her time will be spent on football and trying to finally build a credible MBB program, and the new varsity men's hockey team, I expect.

They may have a good WBB and championship volleyball program, but it's a football school first and foremost. Number one priority will be figuring out that increasingly difficult task of selling those 100,000+ seats in the stadium 7 times each year.

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/26/14 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She certainly landed on her feet.

I didn't have a strong opinion, particularly, but Cal alums blamed her for the decline of the overall program, and basically said she was over her head.

She did not leave the university's athletic teams in great shape, I think it's fair to say, women's basketball and rugby aside.

PostPosted: 07/26/14 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

I didn't have a strong opinion, particularly, but Cal alums blamed her for the decline of the overall program, and basically said she was over her head.

She did not leave the university's athletic teams in great shape, I think it's fair to say, women's basketball and rugby aside.

Wasn't the management, the cost, and the financing scheme for the stadium renovation considered a fiasco?

CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 07/26/14 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Well, considering that women's volleyball made it to the NC a couple seasons ago, the softball team to the WCWS, men's and women's swimming nabbed several NC in the past few years....Cal finished an unprecedented 3rd in the Director's Cup in 2011--I have to take issue with your general assessment of her tenure. http://www.californiagoldenblogs.com/2011/7/4/2257969/a-look-inside-the-directors-cup

I agree with this assessment:
Quote:
...On the other hand, Cal experienced great success in the oft-neglected Olympic sports under her leadership. In the ten years before her, Cal reached the top ten in the Directors' Cup only twice; during her ten-year tenure, we hit that mark six times. She led our Cal Athletics during a period of time that saw us win "nearly 30%" of all our national championships.

Many of her greatest accomplishments were immediately criticized because people wanted more. First conference co-championship in football in over thirty years? When are we going to win it outright? Memorial Stadium renovations and the Simpson Center? Why didn't it come sooner, faster, and cheaper?

This is not to say Barbour was perfect. I have issue with coaches getting excessively long contract renewals, which ends up costing us financially or with poor performance. Her biggest mistake was letting the academics of our revenue sports suffer when she should have been responsible for ensuring our teams' commitments to those areas.
link: http://www.californiagoldenblogs.com/2014/6/30/5856206/sandy-barbour-stepping-down-as-cal-athletics-director-instant

I'd say she left more than rugby and WBB in good shape. Of course football is king, but she did get the stadium built in the midst of tree-sitters, etc... As for hiring our current FB coach, don't believe for a second that was a unilateral decision...of course the buck stops with her and so on to greener (literally) pastures....

Clearly the folks at PSU don't she was over her head....I really do believe as a female AD, even in this day in age, she has to work twice as hard to prove herself. Sadly, often sexism is alive in well in college sports...

Gotta add that she was a very involved AD....traveling all over the country with the various Bear teams in support of student athletes, revenue sports or not...I think PSU is lucky to have Sandy at the helm.

Good luck to her. I'm sure she's happy with the substantial raise in pay....
Very Happy Very Happy

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/26/14 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She can win every Directors Cup but if the football team doesn't win they will run her out of State College faster than I can type this reply.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 07/26/14 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CalwbbFan wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Well, considering that women's volleyball made it to the NC a couple seasons ago, the softball team to the WCWS, men's and women's swimming nabbed several NC in the past few years....Cal finished an unprecedented 3rd in the Director's Cup in 2011. http://www.californiagoldenblogs.com/2011/7/4/2257969/a-look-inside-the-directors-cup

I agree with this assessment:
Quote:
...On the other hand, Cal experienced great success in the oft-neglected Olympic sports under her leadership. In the ten years before her, Cal reached the top ten in the Directors' Cup only twice; during her ten-year tenure, we hit that mark six times. She led our Cal Athletics during a period of time that saw us win "nearly 30%" of all our national championships.

Many of her greatest accomplishments were immediately criticized because people wanted more. First conference co-championship in football in over thirty years? When are we going to win it outright? Memorial Stadium renovations and the Simpson Center? Why didn't it come sooner, faster, and cheaper?

This is not to say Barbour was perfect. I have issue with coaches getting excessively long contract renewals, which ends up costing us financially or with poor performance. Her biggest mistake was letting the academics of our revenue sports suffer when she should have been responsible for ensuring our teams' commitments to those areas.
link: http://www.californiagoldenblogs.com/2014/6/30/5856206/sandy-barbour-stepping-down-as-cal-athletics-director-instant

I'd say she left more than rugby and WBB in good shape. Of course football is king, but she did get the stadium built in the midst of tree-sitters, etc... As for hiring our current FB coach, don't believe for a second that was a unilateral decision...of course the buck stops with her and so on to greener (literally) pastures....

Clearly the folks at PSU don't she was over her head....I really do believe as a female AD, even in this day in age, she has to work twice as hard to prove herself. Sadly, often sexism is alive in well in college sports...

Gotta add that she was a very involved AD....traveling all over the country with the various Bear teams in support of student athletes, revenue sports or not...I think PSU is lucky to have Sandy at the helm.

Good luck to her. Very Happy

This is a clear move by the Nittany Lions to build up Olympic sports...and PSU already has a strong foundation in WBB, Volleyball and soccer and has a great Baseball facility in Medlar Field and a good arena in the Jordan center.

Also Hockey while new to D1 is heavily supported as it was a top club team for a long time.

Yes football is job 1 and that worries me she wasn't a football AD. But maybe that sends a message to the paterno heads who ran out O'Brien (despite winning on probation) that the new PSU will not turn on paterno...certainly Barbour is not going to tolerate any Portland era issues...will be interesting, out of the box idea but with their structure in Olympic sports...not a bad one

PostPosted: 07/26/14 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is many light years of difference between playing club hockey and facing Wisconsin, Minnesota, Mich and Mich St. Those four of the new B10 hockey conference (and to a lesser extent Ohio St) have really serious long term major hockey programs regularly including NHL draftees. As I said I expect getting the hockey team out of the cellar will be one of her priorities.

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/27/14 9:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So I checked out the Director's Cup and it was somewhat unclear. On the one hand, it appeared to count all sports; on the other, it said only 20 counted, 10 men's and 10 women's, and apparently that was for each season.

Cal did well, I think, getting points in golf, tennis, rowing and so forth, so my characterization of the program was certainly off base.

PostPosted: 07/27/14 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have nothing against her, I just think this is a horrible fit. The top 10 priorities for the AD at PSU right now are, in order, football, football, football, football, football, football, football, football, hockey, and MBB.

She has zero hockey experience, and her football legacy at Cal consists of (1) a highly criticized stadium redo, and (2) forcing out a coach who had taken Cal football to previously unknown success (but admittedly had gotten stale) and replacing him with a horrible choice with no west coast experience who promptly went 1-11 his first year.

PSU can't fill its stadium any more, is still under sanctions, and is now in a division in the reconfigured Big 10 looking up at MSU, Michigan, and Ohio St, and is not likely to be truly competitive with any of them any time soon.

The football fans and the Paterno mob are going to eat her alive. I think it's unfortunate for her but I see this as a no-win proposition for her. Not intended as a knock on her, but this is an unconventional choice for PSU, and you have to think there has to be some "I want to show it's a new era and clean house" window dressing for a new PSU President trying to put his stamp on the post Paterno/Sandusky era. I'm highly skeptical.

Remember, this is a school where, by state law, there are all kinds of special interest constituencies that get to choose the members of the Board of Trustees, including political appointees, farm association reps, business reps, and alumni elected reps. It's very political, it's very fractured, and everybody has a platform for complaining.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/27/14 6:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BTW, if you're curious about PSU fan reaction, you might look at this thread on one of the largest and most active Penn St fan forums:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=157&f=1395&t=13011120

beknighted

PostPosted: 07/27/14 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, I will give them credit (at least on the first page) for not saying "No woman can run a department with a football program."

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/27/14 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
Well, I will give them credit (at least on the first page) for not saying "No woman can run a department with a football program."

That might actually have been kinder than these, also on just the first page. Brutal. Welcome to Penn State, Sandy.

Is she part of sanctions to de-emphasize football and destroy the athletics program from the inside ? Ouch
------
Dead last in graduation rates.
At Cal.
Complete train wreck of a hire. Beyond horrible.
------
Sounds like she failed at Cal from their perspective. Not sure how she is even a candidate.
------
Hope this is a joke

Actually closer to yours are these from page 2. Really "enlightened"attitudes. Hope she knows what she got herself in to:

Sounds like a bummer hire. PSU just needs someone to oversee the budget not increase it on womans sports.
------
Its kind of the worst thing you can imagine. Being spent into debt on Womans sports.

There are some posts on page 3 of that thread that are too offensive to repeat.

Queenie

PostPosted: 07/28/14 1:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe this means Penn State as an institution will be forced to stop obsessing over football. Probably not, but I can certainly hope so. If nothing else, I do enjoy watching some of these microcephalic Neanderthals flip their shit over O NOES GIRL COOTIES.

PostPosted: 07/28/14 9:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just a note: The Cal stadium renovation wasn't really "botched."

Cal has a big problem in that Memorial Stadium is located directly on the Hayward fault, which is a major seismic risk. They had to do something, and finding space in the East Bay somewhat near the campus for a new stadium was all but impossible, so one of Barbour's primary tasks was to get funding to seismically upgrade the facility.

She succeeded in that, and though there certainly were a lot of mistaken assumptions bandied about, she got it done, despite protests, delays, etc. Cal has a seismically safe stadium that still needs more renovation, and has a big debt, but there really was no other option.

In other areas, she was not nearly as successful, and I ran into an influential Cal alum yesterday who, politely, was shocked she got the Penn State job. As Art points out, it's all about football, and Barbour's record there is not that good ...

PostPosted: 07/28/14 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh, and by the way, how do you think Sandy Barbour is going to mesh with James Franklin, the football coach Penn St hired away from Vandy a year ago. Consider this incident from 2012, his last year at Vandy (as reported on CBS). Does the term "oil and water" sound about right?

Vanderbilt football coach James Franklin has apologized for saying that he only hires assistant coaches if they have attractive wives.

Franklin made the comments in a radio interview with Nashville's 104.5 "The Zone" earlier this week:

"I've been saying it for a long time, I will not hire an assistant coach until I've seen his wife. If she looks the part, and she's a D-1 recruit, then you got a chance to get hired. That's part of the deal. There's a very strong correlation between having the confidence, going up and talking to a woman, and being quick on your feet and having some personality and confidence and being fun and articulate, than it is walking into a high school and recruiting a kid and selling him."

The one big benefit that I see is that maybe she'll bring some much needed new outside blood into a notoriously insular and inbred athletic department in State College.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/28/14 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hey, beknighted, considering your post above, what do you think of the headline at the top of Page 1 of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette yesterday:

They have deservedly received a lot of flack for that.

beknighted

PostPosted: 07/28/14 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Hey, beknighted, considering your post above, what do you think of the headline at the top of Page 1 of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette yesterday:

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

CBiebel

PostPosted: 07/29/14 1:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As a ND alumnus, I have to say "Good for her!" As I recall, she did a great job when she was in the ND Athletic Dept.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/29/14 8:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
As a ND alumnus, I have to say "Good for her!" As I recall, she did a great job when she was in the ND Athletic Dept.

As I said, I don't have any problem with her, I just think it's a really bad fit.

And I have a mixed reaction between saying good for her for the opportunity, and feeling sorry for her that she has taken a job at which I think she will be given little opportunity to succeed for reasons outside her control.

My "enthusiasm" for her as a "hey, she worked at Notre Dame" is also greatly tempered by the reality that she was a Kevin White protégé, and I consider White to have been an incompetent buffoon.

Also as I said, the best part about this is the potential for injecting some greatly needed fresh genes into the PSU athletic department gene pool.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: