RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Practice starts for the 2014 FIBA Americas U18 Championship

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/24/14 9:12 am    ::: Practice starts for the 2014 FIBA Americas U18 Championship Reply Reply with quote

The 2014 FIBA Americas Women's U18 Championship features eight national teams - the US, Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Chile, El Salvador, Mexico and Puerto Rico. The top four qualify for the 2015 FIBA U19 World Championship for Women. Mexico, Canada and El Salvador are in Group A with the US.

The US team was selected after trials in May. They start practice tomorrow for the tournament August 6-10, to be held this year at U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs. According to USA basketball:

Headlining the USA squad is a trio of USA Basketball gold medalists, including Receé Caldwell (Homeschooled/San Antonio, Texas); Brianna Turner (Manvel H.S/Pearland, Texas) and A’ja Wilson (Heathwood Hall H.S./Hopkins, S.C.).

Joining their first USA Basketball team are: Ariel Atkins (Duncanville H.S./Duncanville, Texas); Napheesa Collier (Incarnate Word Academy/O’Fallon, Mo.); Paris Kea (Greensboro Page H.S./Greensboro, N.C.); Marina Mabrey (Manasquan H.S./Manasquan, N.J.); Teaira McCowan (Brenham H.S./Brenham, Texas); Beatrice Mompremier (Miami H.S./Miami, Fla.); Mariya Moore (Salesian H.S./Richmond, Calif.); Jessica Shepard (Fremont H.S./Fremont, Neb.); and Destinee Walker (Lake Highland Prep School/Ocoee, Fla.).

Dawn Staley is the head coach, with Kim Barnes Arico and Jeff Walz as assistants.

By the way, does anyone know anything about the recruitment of Teaira McCowan? Does she have a public "list", or any sense of where she is likely to end up going to college? If I'm not mistaken, I think she, Walker, and Mompremier may be the only three uncommitted. Walker recently announced a list of UNC, Penn State, South Carolina, Notre Dame, UGA, FSU and Duke, or so I've read.

It strikes me that this is a BIG team, by the way, with McCowan, Mompremier, Shepard, Turner and Wilson.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/24/14 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Practice and tournament schedule page:

http://archive.usab.com/womens/u18/schedule.html
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 07/24/14 11:03 am    ::: Re: Practice starts for the 2014 FIBA Americas U18 Champions Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Walker recently announced a list of UNC, Penn State, South Carolina, Notre Dame, UGA, FSU and Duke, or so I've read.

Yes, Walker announced Notre Dame in her final 7, but that is the only time I have heard of a connection between Walker and Notre Dame. I suppose that's not surprising because much of Muffet's recruiting is under the radar due to a lack of local reporting.

Here is the link: https://twitter.com/Destinee24/status/489460669050142720

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/24/14 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Head coach and A'ja Wilson with her trademark pearls -- potential future NCOY and NPOY on the Congaree.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/24/14 12:40 pm    ::: Re: Practice starts for the 2014 FIBA Americas U18 Champions Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Yes, Walker announced Notre Dame in her final 7, but that is the only time I have heard of a connection between Walker and Notre Dame. I suppose that's not surprising because much of Muffet's recruiting is under the radar due to a lack of local reporting.

Much of all WBB recruiting is beneath the radar. Where there is "local reporting" much of it is unreliable nonsense.

I get spoiled by football recruiting where the top 500 or more recruits are getting multiple calls every night from multiple recruiting service writers, are being interviewed at camps, etc., and with rare exception who is being recruited by whom, who has an offer from whom, and who is interested in whom is widely known.

But recruiting information is big business in football. WBB recruiting is about where football was 25 years ago. If it wasn't for twitter, it would really be a black hole.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/24/14 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting how concentrated the ages are on this team. Sometimes they have a couple of younger players playing up an age group. But on this team, every player was born within an approximately 6 month window from April 7 to October 19, 1996, and 9 of the 12 players fall within a three month window.

Although they do cover two HS graduating classes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: