RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Ogunbowale tweet
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/16/14 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
As for her not letting Connecticut or any other school know before she released the list, wouldn't that have been illegal, I thought coaches couldn't start talking to recruits/coaches/families until the 14th.

On this recruiting rule point, while there are all sorts of restrictions on when coaches can initiate contacts with recruits, when they can watch them play and when they can visit them, the recruit can call or otherwise initiate contact with a coach anytime.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/16/14 1:14 pm    ::: Re: Good point Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Geno's first tweet (the one that matters) was about announcing lists, said nothing about how.

The second tweet was about lists also. ("Players have press conferences to 'announce' which schools they are considering. #whatajoke") This is evidence that he's still talking about Ogunbowale, because announcing the remaining five schools she still had under consideration is exactly what she was doing. However, Auriemma erroneously and nonsensically labels such communications as "press conferences", probably as hyperbole to emphasize his mocking "#whatajoke" conclusion.

While I characterize Auriemma's tweets as inappropriate, I'd like to make clear I would say the same thing about any coach who had done the same thing.

In that connection, I have watched the video of Breanna Stewart's POY award. Muffet McGraw was sitting in the front row with her arms crossed and didn't clap. (Many others in the small room didn't clap either.) I would characterize this behavior as public rudeness and poor sportsmanship.

As to Walz's tweets, they did occur two days after Mercedes Russell committed to Tennessee. However, I don't see any necessary connection to Russell's college choice annuncement. Walz seems more to be goofing on the whole concept of Twitter--people tweeting about completely unimportant, routine and boring things in their lives.

In any event, inappropriate conduct by one person (a coach or not) doesn't excuse or validate inappropriate conduct by another person. Both should be equally condemned regardless of a rooting interest in some sport.
AJMMs

PostPosted: 07/16/14 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:

I don't get why you quoted me, I didn't say anything about how or where players should post their list or who should or shouldn't be interested, I just simply stated there was a difference in what he tweeted and what Glenn was referencing in his post.

Whoops, I don't know why I quoted you either lol. My apologies, I think I was supposed to hit the reply button, but hit the quote button instead.

GEF34

PostPosted: 07/17/14 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AJMMs wrote:
GEF34 wrote:

I don't get why you quoted me, I didn't say anything about how or where players should post their list or who should or shouldn't be interested, I just simply stated there was a difference in what he tweeted and what Glenn was referencing in his post.

Whoops, I don't know why I quoted you either lol. My apologies, I think I was supposed to hit the reply button, but hit the quote button instead.

No problem, I just wasn't sure if I was missing something, or being misinterpreted.

GEF34

PostPosted: 07/17/14 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
As for her not letting Connecticut or any other school know before she released the list, wouldn't that have been illegal, I thought coaches couldn't start talking to recruits/coaches/families until the 14th.

On this recruiting rule point, while there are all sorts of restrictions on when coaches can initiate contacts with recruits, when they can watch them play and when they can visit them, the recruit can call or otherwise initiate contact with a coach anytime.

My understanding of the rule was, a coach can't answer the phone if a recruit or parent or coach of a recruit calls, they can't say "hi" in reply to a "hi" by one of the people list above while they are at the AAU Tournaments.

GEF34

PostPosted: 07/17/14 1:40 pm    ::: Re: Good point Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
Reading through the responses to his tweets, many people, including college coaches are agreeing with his second tweet, so maybe there is more to it than meets the eye. The coaches were all just out recruiting and talking, maybe that is a topic that came up. It has also been retweeted by college coaches and programs.

The first tweet there are mainly people who are saying it's in response to the announced made by Arike Ogunbowale, but not the same reaction to the second.

Anyone who has some background knows but it's not for board fodder.

The best part of this thread is the entertainment value, i have had more laughs out of this thread than any other.

It's so funny how people suddenly start stating stuff to make their point i.e. like the 3 uconn recruits did the same - well check their twitter, 2 announced they were going to Uconn, 1 didn't announce anything, that doesn't exist, or fudge wording to make it stick, like announcing announcement is the same as just saying your going to a particular school, or ignore things their own favorite coaches do because well, thats different.

But I am enjoying reading posters true colors come out in disgust.

If you are implying that I am stating stuff to make a point, what point is it that you think I was trying to make. I haven't mentioned anything about what Connecticut or any other recruits did or did not do, I didn't reference anyone tweets other than Geno's and the response to his tweets.

Edited: NVM I didn't notice the "Good point" you posted in the subject line in your post.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/17/14 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
GEF34 wrote:

My understanding of the rule was, a coach can't answer the phone if a recruit or parent or coach of a recruit calls, they can't say "hi" in reply to a "hi" by one of the people list above while they are at the AAU Tournaments.

Actually, I think phone calls are ok if they are initiated by the recruit, are not pre-arranged, and are at the recruit's expense (which is basically meaningless today with everyone having unlimited nationwide phone plans). Also, the "incidental contact" rule allows "normal civility", i.e., a hello, or how ya doing, other short greeting like that, as long as the contact wasn't pre-arranged.

(The incidental contact rule is one of the most abused there is. It is pretty common for a coach to visit a high school coach and they "just happen" to wander down the hallway near the recruit's next class and "accidentally" bump into each other and say hi.)

PhillyCat

PostPosted: 07/18/14 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
I think this thread could serve as Exhibit A in the legal arguments for abolishing twitter from the planet. Razz Laughing

Exactly. Except I'd first like to tweet that many of the posters in this thread need to get lives and fast!

For his haters Geno is and always has been the gift that keeps on giving, but the level of discussion (Timelines? Really?) devoted to these 2 tweets is beyond weird.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/18/14 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
GEF34 wrote:

Actually, I think phone calls are ok if they are initiated by the recruit, are not pre-arranged, and are at the recruit's expense (which is basically meaningless today with everyone having unlimited nationwide phone plans). Also, the "incidental contact" rule allows "normal civility", i.e., a hello, or how ya doing, other short greeting like that, as long as the contact wasn't pre-arranged.

(The incidental contact rule is one of the most abused there is. It is pretty common for a coach to visit a high school coach and they "just happen" to wander down the hallway near the recruit's next class and "accidentally" bump into each other and say hi.)

NCAA D1 Bylaws:

"13.1.3.2.2: Telephone Calls Initiated by Prospective Student-Athlete at His or Her Expense. Institutional staff members may receive telephone calls placed by a prospective student-athlete at the prospective student-athlete’s own expense at any time, including before July 1 following the prospective student athlete’s junior year in high school."

The rules about receiving a call from a recruit limited to non-recruiting purposes and the exceptions for "incidental contact" apply, not to institutional staff members (=coaches), but to representatives of an institution's athletics interests (=boosters).
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/18/14 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Actually, it's two separate rules, but the "incidental contact" concept applies to both "boosters", and to coaches and staff. Rules 13.02.4 provides that a "fly by" like I described does not count as a "contact" if it wasn't prearranged and "the staff member or athletics representative
does not engage in any dialogue in excess of a greeting" and ends it.

Fly bys are standard operating procedure in recruiting. Happens every day everywhere by every school. The only differences are how much is actually spoken, supposedly in the context of being a "greeting." As with every other rule, some coaches push the envelope more than others.

But even a "hello" or "how you doing" by a coach to a recruit is a big deal and reinforces that the coach is interested enough in you to take the time to come visit your school and such a face-to-face contact makes a heck of a lot bigger impression than merely having the HS coach tell the kid "hey, coach X was here today to talk to me about you."

The rule was supposed to be about accidental encounters. That's not what it has become in practice, particularly (as with most things) in football.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/18/14 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, to zero in on some of the applicable NCAA bylaws regarding coaches and recruits.

A recruit can contact a coach by telephone at any time and presumably talk about anything.

Presumably a recruit can initiate electronic contact by email or PM and talk about anything, but I haven't looked at the recent rulings in this area. Nor am I sure what limitations, if any, are on the coach regarding the initiation of electronic communications.

A recruit may initiate a face-to-face encounter with a coach, but the coach is limited to a simple greeting and must terminate the encounter as soon as possible. Coaches may not prearrange such encounters.
ClayK

PostPosted: 07/18/14 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Players may also make unofficial visits to a campus at any time in their high school careers. I believe they can talk to the coaches on those visits, but I could be wrong ...

PostPosted: 07/19/14 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Players may also make unofficial visits to a campus at any time in their high school careers. I believe they can talk to the coaches on those visits, but I could be wrong ...

As long as it is not a dead period, they can talk to the recruits on unofficial visits.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: