RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Update on Nigel Bethel/Amber Battle.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/16/14 4:39 pm    ::: Update on Nigel Bethel/Amber Battle. Reply Reply with quote

First, ESPN is saying that the reports about her having a broken jaw are incorrect.

Second, the grand jury refused to indict and all charges against Bethel have been dropped.

Third, the grand jurors wrote a letter directly to the aTm AD stating:

“We believe he was unduly and prematurely punished. This was an unfortunate incident in a pick-up basketball game. This is a matter that should not result in criminal charges for either party.

“Any assault does deserve immediate action, however, please ensure all testimonies, evidence and circumstances are reviewed prior to taking action which may forever alter a person’s future.

“We desire to see Mr. Bethel’s scholarship re-instated. If he is re-instated, it is our belief that his consequences should not be greater than those of Ms. Battle. If he is not re-instated, a public exoneration of his character on the part of Texas Tech University should be forthcoming, since Mr. Bethel’s future opportunities for an education as well as an athletic career have been jeopardized.”

http://www.kcbd.com/story/26026200/grand-jury-clears-bethel-recommends-reinstatement-to-football-program

Finally, here is the video of what happened.

http://thebiglead.com/2014/07/16/nigel-bethel-punch-amber-battle-video-charges-dismissed/

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 07/16/14 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As a government investigator, I held the tenuous belief that as I worked my way up the bureaucracy that somehow some one would provide competent insight; some supportable, documented rationale for actions taken. They never failed to disappointment me.

PostPosted: 07/16/14 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Texas Tech reinstates Bethel and gives him a three game suspension.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11224838/nigel-bethel-ii-texas-tech-reinstated-assault-charges-dropped

What happened to the zero tolerance policy?
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 07/16/14 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Damn pole.

All this nonsense because Bethel lollygagged down the court....

PostPosted: 07/16/14 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Damn pole.

All this nonsense because Bethel lollygagged down the court....

Wouldn't you think if you're going to go to the trouble of putting a surveillance cam in your gym, that you'd put it where it could capture the spot on the court where the most action is going to be?

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 07/17/14 8:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow. I really don't know what to say. He clearly punches her in the face. Regardless of what preceded it, you don't retaliate with a punch like that. I guess Texas Tech University is NOT free to handle this situation as they see fit...interesting.

giraffespots

PostPosted: 07/17/14 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What struck me the most (no pun intended), was that immediately after the punch, the entire court runs to Bethel while Battle sits with her head in her hands. Not one person in the entire gym, went to see if she was ok. Not one.

not one...smh

PostPosted: 07/18/14 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

giraffespots wrote:
What struck me the most (no pun intended), was that immediately after the punch, the entire court runs to Bethel while Battle sits with her head in her hands. Not one person in the entire gym, went to see if she was ok. Not one.

They look like they ran to restrain him and get him off the court, but you're right...no one went to Battle to check on her.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/18/14 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bekcat1 wrote:
giraffespots wrote:

They look like they ran to restrain him and get him off the court, but you're right...no one went to Battle to check on her.

It struck me that no one overreacted more than the guy who ran over to "restrain" Bethel. The incident lasted about 2 seconds, each player threw one punch, Bethel had already turned and walked away, Battle had gone to sit down on the bench, the players were at 20 feet apart, and then some guy runs from half a court away and grabs Bethel? To what end?

bekcat1

PostPosted: 07/18/14 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
bekcat1 wrote:
giraffespots wrote:

It struck me that no one overreacted more than the guy who ran over to "restrain" Bethel. The incident lasted about 2 seconds, each player threw one punch, Bethel had already turned and walked away, Battle had gone to sit down on the bench, the players were at 20 feet apart, and then some guy runs from half a court away and grabs Bethel? To what end?

Well, it wasn't a wholehearted effort to restrain him, for sure. Is that guy so much of a loose cannon that other players felt the need to go to him?

And Battle did shove him, not throw a punch. It didn't warrant the punch she got in return.

And on a side note, what authority did the Grand Jury have to suggest that Texas Tech over punished this guy?

linkster

PostPosted: 07/18/14 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's hard for me to see what Battle actually did but she admitted striking him first so after the grand jury report came out the school had 2 options, expel both or suspend both. Zero tolerance is gender neutral and the grand jury, whom I am confident did a more thorough investigation, found her to be as culpable as Bethel. If the school had suspended her and expelled him they would have been open to a gender bias law suit. They may have prevailed but it's not the sort of publicity a school wants or needs.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 07/18/14 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Freaking pole hides exactly what kind of contact Battle made, but I wouldn't be surprised if she pushed Bethel's face/head w/ both hands. That's not a punch, but it's not just a basketball-game shove either, imo.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: