RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Brianna Turner wins Gatorade National HS Athlete Of Year

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 07/15/14 11:10 pm    ::: Brianna Turner wins Gatorade National HS Athlete Of Year Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Turner -- who received her honor at Tuesday's Gatorade ceremony from World Cup champion and two-time Olympic gold medal-winning soccer legend Mia Hamm at a gala hosted by ESPN broadcaster and 1983 Notre Dame graduate Hannah Storm -- is the third incoming Fighting Irish student-athlete (and second women's basketball player) to earn the Gatorade National High School Athlete of the Year award, following eventual four-time college All-America guard and 2014 WNBA All-Star starter Skylar Diggins (2009), and current women's soccer midfielder/Soccer America Freshman All-America selection Morgan Andrews (2013).

With Turner's selection, Notre Dame becomes only the second school (along with Connecticut) to welcome three recipients of the Gatorade National High School Athlete of the Year award to its campus. What's more, Notre Dame is just the second school with honorees in multiple sports, joining USC (one football and one track & field) in that elite group.

Turner is the seventh women's basketball player to earn the Gatorade National High School Athlete of the Year award, joining Diggins and other 2014 WNBA All-Stars Candace Parker, Tina Charles and Maya Moore, as well as current University of Connecticut forward Breanna Stewart.

So who is the 7th WCB player? (Hint: she won it in 2010.)

LINK: http://www.und.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/071514aaa.html

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 07/16/14 10:34 am    ::: Hmm Reply Reply with quote

Chiney

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 07/16/14 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congratulations to Brianna Banks! Loved her performance last year in the U-19 games.

But Arti are you sure she is the National Player of the Year after all shouldn't an elite recruit let alone the number one player of year text ad naseum announcing she was going to make an announcement and have a nationally contrived show to declare; she just did it with unassuming class, dignity and respect.

I am happy for her and am looking forward to seeing her play but not too well against a certain team. She is the kind of person and player who continues to move the women's game forward.

PostPosted: 07/16/14 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:

But Arti are you sure she is the National Player of the Year after all shouldn't an elite recruit let alone the number one player of year text ad naseum announcing she was going to make an announcement and have a nationally contrived show to declare; she just did it with unassuming class, dignity and respect.

Nice try, but she announced it on her blog, and she had previously announced her list of Baylor, Duke, UConn, Stanford and Notre Dame. And there was even a schedule. One of the UConn rags reported " Turner's father Howard said that his daughter will likely name a top three on Nov. 26."

Care to try again?

Oh, and did Ogunbowale havea "nationally contrived show"? I must have missed that.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 07/16/14 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:

Nice try, but she announced it on her blog, and she had previously announced her list of Baylor, Duke, UConn, Stanford and Notre Dame. And there was even a schedule. One of the UConn rags reported " Turner's father Howard said that his daughter will likely name a top three on Nov. 26."

Care to try again?

Oh, and did Ogunbowale havea "nationally contrived show"? I must have missed that.

Wasn't thinking about Arike, Art. I am not as obsessed with Geno as you are despite being a Husky fan. Try again. Also I have been a huge fan of Brianna's since I saw her play in the U-19. My secondary sentiments are more an indictment of a me first process that I find abhorrent. My main intent is to single out Brianna as the kind of player who continues to display an understated grace that I admire which I have done consistently.

PostPosted: 07/16/14 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:

Care to try again?

Wasn't thinking about Arike, Art. I am not as obsessed with Geno as you are despite being a Husky fan. Try again. Also I have been a huge fan of Brianna's since I saw her play in the U-19. My secondary sentiments are more an indictment of a me first process that I find abhorrent. My main intent is to single out Brianna as the kind of player who continues to display an understated grace that I admire which I have done consistently.

Sorry, misunderstood. I put your post in the context of the other ongoing discussions, which I should not have done.

I gather then, that like most here, you don't have a problem with recruits announcing to writers or on Twitter or the like their lists of schools being considered? I agree with you that it get's excessive with the "live on ESPN" announcements. That's been going on in football for years. We primarily have ESPN to blame for that spectacle. Sort of like the ridiculous hour long special they had a few years ago for Labron to announce he was leaving Cleveland for Miami. At least he had enough sense not to do that again when he moved back.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/16/14 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if Turner is a "Geno kind of player". He said on his TV show once that he stopped recruiting her because he already had too many players named Bria-Brianna-Breanna. That kind of comment shouldn't be taken seriously, of course, as it is just an example of the world-renowned Montella sarcasm.

Brianna Turner and A'ja Wilson are the two freshman I most look forward to seeing. Also Bianca Cuevas and Sadie Edwards, whom I watched a lot in person in high school.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/16/14 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
I wonder if Turner is a "Geno kind of player". He said on his TV show once that he stopped recruiting her because he already had too many players named Bria-Brianna-Breanna. That kind of comment shouldn't be taken seriously, of course, as it is just an example of the world-renowned Montella sarcasm.

Brianna Turner and A'ja Wilson are the two freshman I most look forward to seeing. Also Bianca Cuevas and Sadie Edwards, whom I watched a lot in person in high school.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Ariel Atkins. I think she has the possibility of being a really special player.

I'm also looking forward to seeing Mychal Johnson because I haven't seen her and want to see what she's like. She's sort of lost playing in WV, but she's the two time Gatorade WV POY. Her rankings are all over the lot, from 17 on Blue Star to 81 on Hoopgurlz. She's supposed to be dangerous with the ball, and had a triple double in the state championship game as a junior. Anyhow, I'm excited to see her.

For S.Car. I'm really interested to see how Staley works in the new players considering she has everyone back from a very successful and deep team.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 07/16/14 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

I'm really looking forward to seeing Ariel Atkins. I think she has the possibility of being a really special player.

I'm also looking forward to seeing Mychal Johnson because I haven't seen her and want to see what she's like. She's sort of lost playing in WV, but she's the two time Gatorade WV POY. Her rankings are all over the lot, from 17 on Blue Star to 81 on Hoopgurlz. She's supposed to be dangerous with the ball, and had a triple double in the state championship game as a junior. Anyhow, I'm excited to see her.

For S.Car. I'm really interested to see how Staley works in the new players considering she has everyone back from a very successful and deep team.

It will be interesting to see how Dawn reins in Bianca. If anyone can do it she can.

PostPosted: 07/16/14 9:17 pm    ::: Re: Hmm Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Chiney

Nope. This woman was so far off the grid that she didn't even make the Hoopsgurlz Top 100. Any other guesses? (And no looking it up!) Honestly, I have no idea how she won high school athlete of the year when she wasn't even that impressive in her sport of basketball! Seems like the voters were drinking fermented Gatorade or something.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/16/14 11:07 pm    ::: Re: Hmm Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
Chiney

Nope. This woman was so far off the grid that she didn't even make the Hoopsgurlz Top 100. Any other guesses? (And no looking it up!) Honestly, I have no idea how she won high school athlete of the year when she wasn't even that impressive in her sport of basketball! Seems like the voters were drinking fermented Gatorade or something.

I looked and am saying so because your source is incorrect or has been hacked. Chiney won.

http://espn.go.com/high-school/story/_/id/5380634/knight-ogwumike-honored/
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 07/16/14 11:32 pm    ::: Re: Hmm Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
Chiney

I looked and am saying so because your source is incorrect or has been hacked. Chiney won.

I stand corrected. Here is my source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gatorade_Player_of_the_Year_awards), but your source is more credible (and makes a hell of a lot more sense). Plus my same source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gatorade_Player_of_the_Year_awards#Basketball) shows that Chiney was basketball player of the year, so Woodberry wouldn't even have been in the running for athlete of the year. I guess someone was having fun. Evil or Very Mad

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/17/14 9:18 am    ::: Re: Hmm Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
Chiney

I stand corrected. Here is my source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gatorade_Player_of_the_Year_awards), but your source is more credible (and makes a hell of a lot more sense). Plus my same source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gatorade_Player_of_the_Year_awards#Basketball) shows that Chiney was basketball player of the year, so Woodberry wouldn't even have been in the running for athlete of the year. I guess someone was having fun. Evil or Very Mad

Yes, I saw that Wikipedia entry and didn't believe it. The Gatorade site lists Woodberry as the 2010 Arizona basketball winner and Chiney Ogwumike as the 2010 national basketball winner. But I couldn't find the National High School Athlete of the Year list on the Gatorade site.

Wikipedia should be corrected but I don't know how. Perhaps Phil could do it if he reads this thread.
Phil

PostPosted: 07/17/14 9:27 am    ::: Re: Hmm Reply Reply with quote

Here is my source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gatorade_Player_of_the_Year_awards), but your source is more credible (and makes a hell of a lot more sense).

Fixed. It was vandalized, but now corrected.

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/17/14 9:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
We primarily have ESPN to blame for that spectacle.

Um, if no one watched, ESPN wouldn't show it. The only reason it's on is because people are interested. If more people watched women's basketball, there would be more games on ESPN. If more people cared about badminton, there would be more badminton on TV.

Blaming the media is, in most cases, blaming the messenger.

PostPosted: 07/17/14 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kinda random, but surely this is a typo

Quote:
Ogwumike averaged 22.9 points, 13.9 rebounds, 3.5 steals and 2.1 blocks last season for Cy-Fair High in Cypress, Texas. She led the 36-1 Bobcats to the state Class 5A state championship. She graduated third in her class with a 3.45 GPA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: