RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Interesting Lobo Presentation on Geno Tweets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LegoMyEggo

PostPosted: 07/16/14 9:25 am    ::: Interesting Lobo Presentation on Geno Tweets Reply Reply with quote

Not sure who may have caught Rebecca Lobo's report during a WNBA game last night in which she "sort of" reported on Geno's tweets. By "sort of", I mean she presented it very generically and didn't mention what led to the tweets- a recruit tweeting that UConn was not one of her final five schools. She gave Geno the moral high ground and basically praised what "his type of player" is and that they wouldn't conduct themselves in such a manner during recruiting.

I think Lobo is very sharp and enjoy her work. That being said, I'm not stupid. As she should be, she is very loyal to UConn and will cover for her coach. In that regard, I admire her, but I also think it's more of the way this game and so much around it is rigged for UConn. Had it been another coach, doing the very same thing, not sure it would've been presented the same way.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/16/14 10:02 am    ::: Re: Interesting Lobo Presentation on Geno Tweets Reply Reply with quote

LegoMyEggo wrote:
Not sure who may have caught Rebecca Lobo's report during a WNBA game last night in which she "sort of" reported on Geno's tweets. By "sort of", I mean she presented it very generically and didn't mention what led to the tweets- a recruit tweeting that UConn was not one of her final five schools. She gave Geno the moral high ground and basically praised what "his type of player" is and that they wouldn't conduct themselves in such a manner during recruiting.

I think Lobo is very sharp and enjoy her work. That being said, I'm not stupid. As she should be, she is very loyal to UConn and will cover for her coach. In that regard, I admire her, but I also think it's more of the way this game and so much around it is rigged for UConn. Had it been another coach, doing the very same thing, not sure it would've been presented the same way.

She also tweeted about Geno's shot at Ogunbowale "That made me laugh out loud" so either she thinks that 60 year old men publicly mocking 17 year old girls is hilarious, or that any detritus that ever drips from Geno's mouth or pen is automatically hysterical.

And our top news headlines of the day are:

Lobo Defends Geno!

and

Water Is Wet!

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 07/16/14 10:32 am    ::: oops Reply Reply with quote

Another conspiracy theory.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 07/16/14 10:36 am    ::: Re: Interesting Lobo Presentation on Geno Tweets Reply Reply with quote

LegoMyEggo wrote:

So "Geno's type of player" doesn't tweet out things? That is funny.

And Lobo should not be loyal to UConn when it comes to reporting on ESPN, who is putting money into her bank account. A reporter needs to be as objective as possible. I didn't hear what she said so I can't really comment on that, but in regards to just being loyal, that has to be set aside.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 07/16/14 11:37 am    ::: Re: Interesting Lobo Presentation on Geno Tweets Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
LegoMyEggo wrote:

She also tweeted about Geno's shot at Ogunbowale "That made me laugh out loud" so either she thinks that 60 year old men publicly mocking 17 year old girls is hilarious, or that any detritus that ever drips from Geno's mouth or pen is automatically hysterical.

And our top news headlines of the day are:

Lobo Defends Geno!

and

Water Is Wet!

Art you must walk more hunched over than Quasimodo with the weight of that chip on your shoulder.

Of course you do like to ring the bells of Notre Dame....

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/16/14 11:45 am    ::: Re: Interesting Lobo Presentation on Geno Tweets Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

Art you must walk more hunched over than Quasimodo with the weight of that chip on your shoulder.

Edit - I deleted the post about the blue tinted glasses. Personal shots at other posters really don't add to the discussion. Sorry.

So instead let me just ask you a couple of question.

Here is the series of tweets:

4:06pm
@Arike_O My Top 5 (alphabetical order):

Louisville
Notre Dame
Ohio State
UCLA
Wisconsin

4:20 PM
‏@genoauriemma Stay tuned for my list of the 5 players I saw the past 7 days that I have zero interest in recruiting.... #whatajoke

4:24 PM
@RebeccaLobo @genoauriemma That tweet was so unexpectedly different from tweets of other coaches I follow. Made me laugh out loud.

Do you agree with Lobo that Geno's shot at Ogunbowale was ROFL hilarious? Do you think it was original, and creative, and cute and completely appropriate for a 60 year old man who is supposed to be the top of his profession to make cracks like that about a 17 year old girl?

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 07/16/14 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
linkster

PostPosted: 07/16/14 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The media always defends their stars. I remember when Summitt made a public accusation of cheating against another D1 coach and the entire media, the NCAA and the entire state of Tennessee decided to ignore her slander. if it had been a less successful coach and the target had been, say, Summitt, a hue and cry would have ensued as the tar and feathers were readied.

Geno has been tarred and feathered figuratively many many times on these message boards, usually by the same handful of posters.

I see Art in the Bogart role:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlV3oQ3pLA0

[url][/url] <iframe width="855" height="511" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ZlV3oQ3pLA0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[url][/url]

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 07/16/14 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
The media always defends their stars. I remember when Summitt made a public accusation of cheating against another D1 coach and the entire media, the NCAA and the entire state of Tennessee decided to ignore her slander. if it had been a less successful coach and the target had been, say, Summitt, a hue and cry would have ensued as the tar and feathers were readied.

Geno has been tarred and feathered figuratively many many times on these message boards, usually by the same handful of posters.

I see Art in the Bogart role:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlV3oQ3pLA0

[url][/url] <iframe width="855" height="511" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ZlV3oQ3pLA0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[url][/url]

LOL. He never did find out who ate all the ice cream and left the blueberries.

PostPosted: 07/16/14 2:34 pm    ::: Re: Interesting Lobo Presentation on Geno Tweets Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

Edit - I deleted the post about the blue tinted glasses. Personal shots at other posters really don't add to the discussion. Sorry.

So instead let me just ask you a couple of question.

Here is the series of tweets:

4:06pm
@Arike_O My Top 5 (alphabetical order):

Louisville
Notre Dame
Ohio State
UCLA
Wisconsin

4:20 PM
‏@genoauriemma Stay tuned for my list of the 5 players I saw the past 7 days that I have zero interest in recruiting.... #whatajoke

4:24 PM
@RebeccaLobo @genoauriemma That tweet was so unexpectedly different from tweets of other coaches I follow. Made me laugh out loud.

Do you agree with Lobo that Geno's shot at Ogunbowale was ROFL hilarious? Do you think it was original, and creative, and cute and completely appropriate for a 60 year old man who is supposed to be the top of his profession to make cracks like that about a 17 year old girl?

C'mon I thought the hunchback line was pretty cute, give me that.

Look I will never defend most of what Geno Auriemma says and does, and I'll be the first to admit I cringe when he says some of what he says and does. I will also admit that I find him a great person to talk to with a wonderful sense of humor, and I am thankful I get to follow him and his program.

I think that sometimes people take things too seriously; same thing with the McGraw not clapping thing, totally blown out of proportion.

The coaches have their own personalities, and are successful in their own ways, be it Geno, Muffet, Tara, Walz, and so on.

I just enjoy the fact they ARE all different and they are such great successes and motivators in their own ways.

Regarding Lobo's comment, I don't know so much if it was defending her coach as much as she has a similar sense of humor and for lack of a better word, values as Geno, so she conveys that similarity in her commentary.

I've talked to her enough times that I know she says what's on her own mind, and does not parrot what others say.

AJMMs

PostPosted: 07/16/14 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How many re-tweets did Ogunbowale's post announcing her list get? A little over 100. For every person who shares something over Twitter, I assume that the average number of followers has to be at least 100 per person. That is probably a generously low figure, but times the two together and that's how many people that one Tweet has reached. All of those people might not give a hoot about that, but they received the information. There is interest and that is why I have no problem with a player "playing it up." I honestly find it exciting and entertaining without apology.

If Geno doesn't like to recruit players who use the 21st century technology to communicate to fans who are genuinely interested to know where that player is going, he doesn't have to tweet about it. And if he wasn't directing it toward Ogunbowale or it wasn't fueled by her choice not to include UConn, then he's gotta be the most terrible at judging whether this is a good time to post his opinion or not. Mere minutes after her tweet he chooses to do so. Weird.

And Lobo should be the last to agree with Geno on this. Without this kind of interest in a "high school" girl's basketball player, that would mean the WNBA isn't helping to grow the sport and basically she probably would eventually be out of a job. As part of the media, she should hope that there is that sort of interest out there for news of where a high school girl's basketball player is headed for college. Goes hand-in-hand with the success of the sport IMO.

I don't post a lot, but somehow this whole subject has really fueled me to post. Back to lurking I suppose. (:

linkster

PostPosted: 07/16/14 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AJMMs wrote:

And Lobo should be the last to agree with Geno on this. Without this kind of interest in a "high school" girl's basketball player, that would mean the WNBA isn't helping to grow the sport and basically she probably would eventually be out of a job. As part of the media, she should hope that there is that sort of interest out there for news of where a high school girl's basketball player is headed for college. Goes hand-in-hand with the success of the sport IMO.

(:

While I agree with a lot of what you say I think you are wrong about what grows the sport. Arike posting her final 5 is interesting to a very limited number of people, her family, friends and the schools involved with recruiting her. I doubt there is one person in the country that read that post and thought "Gee, I gotta start watching wcbb". On the other hand Geno Auriemma's post generated far more interest. As someone in Hollywood once observed, there is no such thing as bad publicity. People would flock to watch a game between Tenn & UConn, not because of the basketball but because of the animus between the schools' fans and coaches. Pro sports derive much of their popularity from the fact that you can gamble on them. Tiger Woods' marriage breakup was infinitely more popular than any of his championship victories.

It's not mom and apple pie personalities that create interest, it's candid and sometimes confrontational personalities (and jerks) that get people's attention. Just look at these message boards. Compare how many posts are on this board about the praise that Auriemma has garnered over his career from his fellow coaches and former players with the posts that call him a jerk or worse. Not even close.

Personally I don't want wbb to grow too much. I like that I can scalp a prime ticket to a UConn game for less than $50. and that players are around for 4 years. All I really care about is the 2 hours, twice a week that the team is playing.

Interest is derived from media exposure. And the media's interest is in selling advertising, not in promoting sport so teams are neglected in favor of individuals. It was never the Chicago Bulls, it was Michael Jordan's Bulls.
So I can understand why teenagers post on Saturday that they had decided on their final 5 but won't be making the list public till the next day. Why? It's the standard tease that TV has used for decades.

LegoMyEggo

PostPosted: 07/16/14 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

David, like I said, I actually appreciate Lobo's work and her sense of humor. However, in this case, I thought she conveniently omitted certain bits of information from her report that helped cover her boss's behind, i.e. what his tweets were in response to.

AJMMs

PostPosted: 07/16/14 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LegoMyEggo wrote:
David, like I said, I actually appreciate Lobo's work and her sense of humor. However, in this case, I thought she conveniently omitted certain bits of information from her report that helped cover her boss's behind, i.e. what his tweets were in response to.

No, no, it's the other way around. If the women's game can continue to grow, then there will be more and more press/general followers of social networks, interested in the decision of a young woman the caliber of players like Ogunbowale. She got over 100 retweets and like I said, you have to assume that each person who retweeted that averages at least 100 followers so from a marketing standpoint, while that's not a huge number, for a high school girl's basketball player, that's pretty good numbers. Geno himself only got 160 or so retweets. I wouldn't say he generated way more interest considering he has 1000s of more followers than Ogunbowale.

And btw, I would be the first to commend Geno and Chris Dailey for the success they have done to help grow the sport of women's basketball. I think he is a brilliant coach and amazing at developing mostly all of the players that go through his system. I just don't like the way he carries himself in the public eye sometimes. I include CD in there because honestly, I don't think he would have been as successful as he is without her. She seems to be the perfect balance for him and without her, he'd probably be out of control with his emotions more often than he is IMO.

Now how would I feel if he were the leader of my favorite team? I would probably feel uncomfortable with what he said, but in the long run, his success as a coach and just looking at the way his former player love him, he can't be all that bad a guy. That speaks volumes so that's why I get baffled and irritated when he gets butt-hurt when a player he is after doesn't choose him. For crying out loud, he's got two top 3-5 players already committed and a third who's right up there. Most coaches would be happy that they were in her final 10 and actually considered. lol[/b]

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/16/14 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AJMMs wrote:

Now how would I feel if he were the leader of my favorite team? I would probably feel uncomfortable with what he said, but in the long run, his success as a coach and just looking at the way his former player love him, he can't be all that bad a guy.

Bobby Knight was tremendously successful, his former players love him, and he knows more about basketball and how to play the game than just about anyone who has ever played or coached the game. But he was still a total jerk as a person. I don't think your conclusion necessarily follows from the two characteristics you identified.

themick1952

PostPosted: 07/17/14 7:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
AJMMs wrote:

Now how would I feel if he were the leader of my favorite team? I would probably feel uncomfortable with what he said, but in the long run, his success as a coach and just looking at the way his former player love him, he can't be all that bad a guy.

Bobby Knight was tremendously successful, his former players love him, and he knows more about basketball and how to play the game than just about anyone who has ever played or coached the game. But he was still a total jerk as a person. I don't think your conclusion necessarily follows from the two characteristics you identified.

The only similarity between Knight and Auriemma is that you think both are jerks.

Knight abused his players physically, threw a chair in an international tourney, was NOT loved by many of his former players, was fired by Indiana for his behavior.

Geno sometimes says some dumb things, but your comparison shows more about how much you dislike Geno, not how he is perceived by the womens basketball community.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/17/14 8:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

themick1952 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
AJMMs wrote:

The only similarity between Knight and Auriemma is that you think both are jerks.

Knight abused his players physically, threw a chair in an international tourney, was NOT loved by many of his former players, was fired by Indiana for his behavior.

Geno sometimes says some dumb things, but your comparison shows more about how much you dislike Geno, not how he is perceived by the womens basketball community.

Learn to read. But I guess it would be out of character for you to reply to what I actually wrote which was far more limited than you in your zeal to lash out would like to pretend that I wrote.

But since you choose to actually compare them (which I did not) I will add that, like you, Indiana fans only cared that their coach won, turned a blind eye to his personal faults, ardently defended him against all criticism, and were livid when the university president finally had enough and fired him.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 07/17/14 8:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

themick1952 wrote:

And how exactly do you think he is perceived in the WBB community? As someone that was in the profession for a couple of decades, I would be very curious as to what you think.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: