RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

USAB U17 team results
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 07/08/14 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In spite of the observations from the experts, I'll say I'd be quite happy having Cox as the inside anchor for 4 years at UConn.

PostPosted: 07/08/14 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good observations, Glenn ... thanks.

Ionescu can shoot, but is not consistent -- which is pretty much the same as not being able to shoot, I guess. It's odd, really, because as a younger player, she was primarily a three-point shooter.

PostPosted: 07/08/14 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
In spite of the observations from the experts, I'll say I'd be quite happy having Cox as the inside anchor for 4 years at UConn.

No spite or despite necessary, nor any necessary difference of opinion. Because I critically analyze perceived weaknesses in Cox's offensive game doesn't mean I know of an uncommitted 2015 or 2016 center who is better than she is.

Kalani Brown of 2015 was on the U16 team last summer but, for reasons unknown to me, didn't make the U17 team. I think Cox is better than 2016 Nancy Mulkey as of now. While I like Joyner Holmes' skills and potential more than Cox's, I wouldn't call Holmes a center. She's more of a power or even small forward.

Given the competition, it would make sense for any school to recruit Cox.
ClayK

PostPosted: 07/08/14 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kalani Brown didn't make the team because she played terribly at the trials.

Cox is a bit of an enigma at this point, I think, as her talent is obvious but her production is variable. Of course, she's 16, so consistency might simply come with more maturity.

PostPosted: 07/08/14 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Imo, Cox is a legit, wonderful old-fashioned 5 who moves extremely well and has sophisticated post moves already and is a very good defender.

Durr is elite WCB-ready now.

Samuelson is pretty much all catch-and-shoot. One of the worst defenders I've ever seen. She also needs a year in the weight room, but at least her weakness paid off on that screen foul on the game-tying 3.

I think she's got a major reality check coming. (how's that, dtsnms?) Smile

KLS is definitely more than that. With that said, Durr is clearly the top player in the class. I don't know how a few services have Samuelson ahead of Durr. In fact, from the few times I've seen Collier, I like her better as well.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 07/08/14 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ok, I admit to a bit of hyperbole. KS is, obviously, more than just a catch-and-shooter. Wasn't much more than one in the semi, though.

Having suffered through the China game, I saw a couple of nice moves. She also acted as a PG.

Her best attribute by far, imo, is the quick release off the catch and shoot. Her defense and rebounding are quite lacking.

I think she'll be VG by soph year end.

PostPosted: 07/08/14 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The best thing For the development of KLS is going to UConn. Geno, CD etc will work her hard on defense and she'll be a much better at it. On offense she'll be a terror as the UConn style of play was made for her!

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 07/09/14 5:20 am    ::: Disagree Reply Reply with quote

So let me see Durr who has played the point for the majority of games I have watched over the years couldn't be trusted for USA for a lot of the time during the tournament by coach Philips and she had to put KLS there. That in itself tells me a lot about Durr and confirms my prior observations. She is an instinct player who is not able to lead a team and run their offense. She can make some plays but a lot of time it is going one on one. She is not quick enough defensively to guard other quick guards and doesn't have the defensive smarts to read an opposing players tendencies. She has a nice shot but her shot selection is not great and not in the flow if the game.

I agree with everything Glenn said on this one and my observations are not just from the final.

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/09/14 11:51 am    ::: Re: Disagree Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
So let me see Durr who has played the point for the majority of games I have watched over the years couldn't be trusted for USA for a lot of the time during the tournament by coach Philips and she had to put KLS there. That in itself tells me a lot about Durr and confirms my prior observations. She is an instinct player who is not able to lead a team and run their offense. She can make some plays but a lot of time it is going one on one. She is not quick enough defensively to guard other quick guards and doesn't have the defensive smarts to read an opposing players tendencies. She has a nice shot but her shot selection is not great and not in the flow if the game.

I agree with everything Glenn said on this one and my observations are not just from the final.

From my limited observations of Durr, mostly at USA Basketball, I would say she is more a two than a one.

The best point guard at the trials was Anna Wilson, but she didn't play much, especially in the final. Maybe she was just playing really well during the trials, and regressed to the mean after that -- or maybe it was defense or something else.

Ogunbowale is also a two, as is Ionescu. Samuleson's size gives her a real advantage at the point, so if you're playing someone out of position , why not her?

PostPosted: 07/09/14 12:53 pm    ::: Nice to know Clay Reply Reply with quote

My observations on Wilson, obviously limited due to her minimal playing time and limited as she did not play the 17 circuit. She seemed the best on ball defender of the guards but struggled on the offensive end.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 07/09/14 10:17 pm    ::: Re: Disagree Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:

GMAC said: "Durr was the best guard. She can drive and has a great floater and pull-up jumper. She didn't show much from the 3pt line in this tournament; she was better last summer as a U16. (I wonder what her HS stats were.) Though an average passer, she could be the immediate high scorer on lots of good D1 teams."

I agree in principle w/ Nix's agreement.

Are anyone's observations here "just from the final"?

PostPosted: 07/11/14 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some posters here noted that Katie Lou's performance could have been affected by her recent illness. Absolutely correct. Tonsillitis, in bed for four days, did not eat, lost 10 pounds.

http://snyuconn.com/uconn/no-better-feeling-for-samuelson-than-winning-gold/

PostPosted: 07/13/14 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
Some posters here noted that Katie Lou's performance could have been affected by her recent illness. Absolutely correct. Tonsillitis, in bed for four days, did not eat, lost 10 pounds.

http://snyuconn.com/uconn/no-better-feeling-for-samuelson-than-winning-gold/

Here's hoping the illness greatly affected her play.

PostPosted: 07/13/14 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ogunbowale down to five schools today. See other thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: