RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

T Tech Football Player Kicked Out of School
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
calbearman76

PostPosted: 07/09/14 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It has been nearly two weeks since the "incident" and while we may never know all the facts a fairly complete picture has started to appear.

The first summer session was roughly three weeks in. Senior Battle and Freshmen Bethel were playing in a pickup game at the rec center. There was a bit of a kerfuffle underneath the basket during the game. As a result Battle shoves Bethel and Bethel falls down. Bethel then gets up and lands a punch that breaks a bone in Battle's face.

Bethel immediately gets kicked out of school. A police investigation is conducted and a report is presumably competed. At this point Battle is suspended for a month and issues an apology for her role. No charges are filed against Bethel.

So what should be made of this? These things play out every day across the country. One player shoves another. The other player reacts and unfortunately someone gets hurt. In a college game both players would probably get technicals, the puncher would be thrown out and get suspended for a few games. But when the people are of different sexes we have a scandal.

Bethel did a very stupid thing by punching another player. But perhaps the first stupid thing he did is playing in a pickup game with a girl. An 18 year old away from home gets shoved to the ground - by a girl. He is embarrassed and reacts inappropriately. He loses his scholarship and will either have to not play football this season or go to a lower division school. Hopefully he will work on his studies and learn from this, but history suggests this won't be his reaction. It seems he is good enough that he will become a Division 1 football player again, but it is unlikely that he would become a pro.

As for Battle she also did some stupid things, and she is a senior. Shoving another player isn't too smart, particularly in a pickup game. And once again, playing with boys also proved to be stupid. She winds up with a one month suspension and a broken face. Both punishments seem overly severe and based on sex stereotypes. I doubt we will ever get away from these stereotypes, even as people push for more of a sex-blind society, particularly in non-sexual situations.

There is probably something in Title IX that would not allow a prohibition on intersex pickup games, but I would highly discourage them for any college athletes.

GEF34

PostPosted: 07/09/14 11:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
It has been nearly two weeks since the "incident" and while we may never know all the facts a fairly complete picture has started to appear.

The first summer session was roughly three weeks in. Senior Battle and Freshmen Bethel were playing in a pickup game at the rec center. There was a bit of a kerfuffle underneath the basket during the game. As a result Battle shoves Bethel and Bethel falls down. Bethel then gets up and lands a punch that breaks a bone in Battle's face.

Bethel immediately gets kicked out of school. A police investigation is conducted and a report is presumably competed. At this point Battle is suspended for a month and issues an apology for her role. No charges are filed against Bethel.

So what should be made of this? These things play out every day across the country. One player shoves another. The other player reacts and unfortunately someone gets hurt. In a college game both players would probably get technicals, the puncher would be thrown out and get suspended for a few games. But when the people are of different sexes we have a scandal.

Bethel did a very stupid thing by punching another player. But perhaps the first stupid thing he did is playing in a pickup game with a girl. An 18 year old away from home gets shoved to the ground - by a girl. He is embarrassed and reacts inappropriately. He loses his scholarship and will either have to not play football this season or go to a lower division school. Hopefully he will work on his studies and learn from this, but history suggests this won't be his reaction. It seems he is good enough that he will become a Division 1 football player again, but it is unlikely that he would become a pro.

As for Battle she also did some stupid things, and she is a senior. Shoving another player isn't too smart, particularly in a pickup game. And once again, playing with boys also proved to be stupid. She winds up with a one month suspension and a broken face. Both punishments seem overly severe and based on sex stereotypes. I doubt we will ever get away from these stereotypes, even as people push for more of a sex-blind society, particularly in non-sexual situations.

There is probably something in Title IX that would not allow a prohibition on intersex pickup games, but I would highly discourage them for any college athletes.

I disagree with your opinion, men and women play pick up basketball all the time, they also play in co-ed leagues, and women's teams have male practice teams. This situation is not something that happens everyday, I've played many pick up co-ed games, and I've seen many co-ed games, involving DI and pro athletes, both male and female, and I've never seen anything like this happen. Of course the physicality can be overwhelming for some women, but typically the women who play in co-ed games know what they are getting into and can handle the physicality of the men because they've played with and against men many times before.

And by saying he is "embarrassed" by getting pushed by a girl is purely speculation, and without knowing the individual, I think it is unfair to make that speculation. I'm not excusing him or his behavior, but I see no reason to say he only acted that way because it was a woman.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/10/14 12:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
He loses his scholarship and will either have to not play football this season or go to a lower division school. Hopefully he will work on his studies and learn from this, but history suggests this won't be his reaction. It seems he is good enough that he will become a Division 1 football player again, but it is unlikely that he would become a pro.

Why do you think he won't become a pro? Players do worse stuff than this all the time and still end up playing major college ball and playing in the NFL.

Heck, just last week, star wide reciever Dorial Green-Beckham was tossed out of Missouri after two drug arrests and an ongoing police investigation into allegations that he shoved a woman down a flight of stairs after breaking into her home at 2:30 in the morning. He was promptly given a scholarship to play at Oklahoma, and is almost certain to get drafted by the NFL.

A couple years ago West Virginia went ahead and gave a scholarship to a kid who had been convicted in connection with the armed robbery of a Smoothie King during his senior year in high school.

Of course the ultimate is Lawrence Phillips. The assault charges during college, most involving girlfriends, didn't stop him from starring at Nebraska or playing pro football (or being the 6th pick in the NFL draft) although I understand he's now serving 35 years in prison on some later assault charges including 25 years for assaulting his ex girlfriend.

Far worse than what this TT kid did happens every year. I predict a punch during a playground basketball game will have zero impact on this kid's pro prospects. The only suspense is what school will eagerly sign him for this fall.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 07/10/14 8:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"No real man ever hits a woman".

Lol. A still-acceptable bias in our patriarchal society.

From the sketchy details we have, it does seem as if the male escalated things from a shove to a punch.

Seems similar to Griner's reaction a few years ago vs. Barnhouse(?). Griner wasn't shoved to the floor in that scenario, but was defended by many.

When Holdsclaw shot her gf, all sorts of psych understanding came into play in order to get an understanding of the poor woman's motivation.

Here, though, the general consensus seems to be "its just another violent male who needs to be exorcised" from the school, if not society altogether. No need to explore possible mitigating circumstances. Book him, Dano.

For all I know, the guy could be a total scumbag.

Battle, too, for that matter.

PostPosted: 07/10/14 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What would the outcome of this have been if "AB" had be "Arthur Bond" instead of Ashley Battle?

Bond and Bethel were playing pick up basketball and Bethel punched Bond in the face breaking some bones to the extent that Bond needed surgery.

Would Bethel have been tossed from TTU?

Would it have mattered if Bond had been smaller in size than Bethel? What if Bond wasn't a college athlete, just someone that had played in high school, maybe even a bench warmer? (I don't know the differences in size between Battle and Bethel, but I don't think that I'm going too far out on a limb to say that there had to be a fairly large difference in strength, especially upper body strength.)

I don't know the answers to these questions. I haven't figured out if it matters or not. There's a part of me that says if you are bigger and stronger, you don't go around hitting people that are smaller and less strong.

But then do you penalize someone more just because they are bigger and stronger? Is it fair to place a larger burden on them to control their emotions just because they are bigger and stronger?

I really think that there were a lot of things in play here. Length of time at the school (goodwill). Avoiding a potential escalation of his bad behavior (let's say if he is allowed to stay in school, punches someone else - a teammate this time - think of the criticism and lawsuit then!!!). Gender.

At this time, TTU has very little financial investment in him (compared to Battle - unless recruiting a football player is more expensive than three years of scholarship, travel, training, medical care, practice gear/clothing, etc.) Maybe they just felt it was time to cut their losses and get out before something else happens.

FWIW, I was playing pickup basketball with guys that were 10 years older than me when I was in high school back in the '70's. There were never any problems.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 07/10/14 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Why do you think he won't become a pro? Players do worse stuff than this all the time and still end up playing major college ball and playing in the NFL.

Heck, just last week, star wide reciever Dorial Green-Beckham was tossed out of Missouri after two drug arrests and an ongoing police investigation into allegations that he shoved a woman down a flight of stairs after breaking into her home at 2:30 in the morning. He was promptly given a scholarship to play at Oklahoma, and is almost certain to get drafted by the NFL.

My comment related to my perceived quality of Nigel Bethel due to his small size (5-8, 168) and his recruiting rank, not the result of his punch. This incident won't help, but if he goes the JC route and stays out of trouble for two years he could find himself back in a major college for his final two years.

Amber Battle is listed at 5-9 without a weight, but I suspect its closer to 150. Comparable size, but Bethel is probably stronger. I don't think the size would have mattered if this were two males. There would have been only minor recriminations against Bethel (I think anyone that breaks someone's face in the rec center would get some punishment - Then again, a decade ago it might have won him a scholarship from Bobby Knight.)

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/10/14 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

My comment related to my perceived quality of Nigel Bethel due to his small size (5-8, 168) and his recruiting rank, not the result of his punch. This incident won't help, but if he goes the JC route and stays out of trouble for two years he could find himself back in a major college for his final two years.

He's 5'9", same height as Jason Verrett who was drafted in the 1st round of the NFL draft this year and taller than Lamarcus Joyner who went in the 2nd. ESPN rated him at 4* and the 17th best CB. He was Texas Tech's top recruit and was expected to challenge for a starting spot this year. He had offers from Miami, FSU, and several SEC teams. He originally committed to Miami.

He might decide to go JC, but I won't be surprised to see him at another Power 5 school come September. It doesn't hurt to redshirt in football since you can't go pro for three years anyhow. That would be a much better course for him than going to a JC.

BTW, his HS coach at Booker T Washington in Miami was quoted in the Miami Herald as saying: "Harris said other schools have already reached out for Bethel’s services, but he could not say which. Harris said Bethel will “hopefully” be enrolled at another school “by the end of summer.”

calbearman76

PostPosted: 07/10/14 11:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I stand corrected. My quick check showed him as 3* but I see that ESPN has him higher. The height came from the Texas Tech website, but an inch here or there is the norm for recruits.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/11/14 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

By the way, does anyone know how the transfer rules work in a situation like this where:
1) the player has only attended pre-freshman year summer school courses, and
2) has been thrown off the team and had his scholarship revoked?

Does he need to sit out a year or can he play right away this fall at another Div I school?

Reportedly TT allowed him to finish the first-summer-session classes which he was taking at the time of the incident.

Even I would think there should be zero restrictions when a school has said "we don't want you here any more". Seems to me they relenquish any objection to where or when the player plays. I suppose there's always a risk some creative player could game the sytem by purposely getting expelled just to allow an unrestricted transfer, but that risk seems pretty minimal. But I don't know whether the rules specifically address this situation, or whether the pre-freshman year summer courses count as "enrollment" under the transfer rules.

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/11/14 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The step from shove to punch in a pickup game at a college is a big one. Maybe at certain parks and gyms, the shove is equal to the punch, but generally I don't think so.

So Battle is stupid to push someone down who's stronger, as that is provocation, and can lead to just what happened. No question there's blame on her ...

But jumping up and punching someone is escalation. Jumping up and pushing them back means cooler heads will have a chance to get involved and keep the two apart.

My guess, though, is that if Battle hadn't been female, Bethel would have been reprimanded, suspended perhaps and punished in some way. But because she was female, the hammer came down ...

PostPosted: 07/11/14 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
The step from shove to punch in a pickup game at a college is a big one. Maybe at certain parks and gyms, the shove is equal to the punch, but generally I don't think so.

So Battle is stupid to push someone down who's stronger, as that is provocation, and can lead to just what happened. No question there's blame on her ...

But jumping up and punching someone is escalation. Jumping up and pushing them back means cooler heads will have a chance to get involved and keep the two apart.

My guess, though, is that if Battle hadn't been female, Bethel would have been reprimanded, suspended perhaps and punished in some way. But because she was female, the hammer came down ...

+1
It is also the disparity in treatment that sticks out like a very sore thumb. One particpant in the incident loses his scholarship and is out of school. The other - the one who admits to starting it - gets suspended for some meaningless November games. Sort of like a SEC football player being "punished" for show by having to sit out the first quarter of the season opening 50 point blowout against an FCS opponent.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 07/11/14 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

It is also the disparity in treatment that sticks out like a very sore thumb. One particpant in the incident loses his scholarship and is out of school. The other - the one who admits to starting it - gets suspended for some meaningless November games. Sort of like a SEC football player being "punished" for show by having to sit out the first quarter of the season opening 50 point blowout against an FCS opponent.

To me, there's a big difference between a shove and a punch that breaks bones.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/11/14 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

To me, there's a big difference between a shove and a punch that breaks bones.

First, as has been said a dozen times above, no one here knows what actually happened. The words "punch" and "initiated contact" which is what the extremely brief descriptions use describe a very very wide variety of conduct, and also require one to assume that the writer actually knew what happened and reported it accurately and objectively.

On what do you base the "shove" description, and on what do you base your apparent assumption that he wound up and hit her with a huge right hook to the jaw? Do you really know that there was a "big difference" in what they did? If so, how do you know that? Did you consider that perhaps her choice of the purposely vague "initiated the first contact" in her carefully prepared written statement was designed to cloud and understate what she did?

If you simply choose to assume the most favorable facts for her and the most extreme facts for him it's really easy to justify any wide disparity in treatment.

I note that at the time the "punch" characterization was used to describe this situation, there was no evident need for precision because the narrative at that time was that this was a one-sided, unprovoked attack by a football player on a girl. That all changed when the girl admitted she started it. I have yet to see an elucidation of what the action was that was summarized as a "punch". And the stilted phrase "initiated first conduct" is a meaningless characterization she herself used to describe her own actions and was probably crafted by some school official who helped her prepared that written statement - it's certainly not a description any witness would use to describe what they observed.

This guy may well deserve what he got. And as I said, I expect him to land on his feet at another major football school. And maybe she was relatively innocent. But there are certainly unanswered questions when the admitted instigator gets a meaningless slap on the wrist while the other party gets as severe a punishment as the school is capable of meting out.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: