RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Should the 5 power conferences secede from NCAA?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/01/14 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dinkytown wrote:
Michael wrote:

There is no chance of UConn in the Big Ten, UConn doesn't meet the Big Ten's academic standards. Unlike any other conference, the Big Ten also has an academic/research arm, the CIC, that shares many millions of dollars every year in research grants. Membership in the CIC was the biggest sticking point when Notre Dame asked to join the Big Ten a decade or so ago. There are only a few schools that the Big will consider for membership at this point, and AAU (American Association of Universities) membership is one of the non-negotiable criteria.

Is Nebraska close to re-joining the AAU? I know they fell off right after they accepted Big Ten membership and thought they were close to re-joining. Didn't see them on the AAU list yet though.

I don't believe they are trying. I think it is understood they do not qualify under the present criteria. Their effort when they were expelled was to get more flexibility and subjectivity into the qualifications, and they were unsuccesful. Syracuse has or is in the process of withdrawing for similar reasons.

Dennis1361

PostPosted: 07/04/14 12:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What about the academic scandal at UNC?

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/04/14 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dennis1361 wrote:

I just think UNC was dumb/arrogant enough to get caught. I would be stunned if that didn't happen, in one manner or another, at almost every BCS school.

PostPosted: 07/04/14 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Dennis1361 wrote:

I just think UNC was dumb/arrogant enough to get caught. I would be stunned if that didn't happen, in one manner or another, at almost every BCS school.

Just as in most things, there are some people who imagine that everything and everybody is perfect, and there are some people who believe that everything and everybody is corrupt. I think both groups are equally detached from reality.

Just as in most things, some people cheat to try to gain an advantage, and most people don't.

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/04/14 11:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Dennis1361 wrote:

Just as in most things, there are some people who imagine that everything and everybody is perfect, and there are some people who believe that everything and everybody is corrupt. I think both groups are equally detached from reality.

Just as in most things, some people cheat to try to gain an advantage, and most people don't.

You could be right, and it could be that 80% of the BCS programs are clean.

You could be wrong, and it could be that 80% of the BCS football and men's basketball programs recruit athletes, not student-athletes, paper over their transgressions as best they can, and give them academic support that tramples on the fine line between tutoring and doing their work for them.

Really, we don't know and can't know without a journalistic project of immense proportions, so we all of us are guessing, at one level or another.

You have more faith in the NCAA, big-time college athletics and the ability to resist temptation with huge money at stake than I do -- but you know, I hope you're right and I'm wrong.

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: