RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Will Stanford win the Pac 12 next season?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will Stanford win the Pac 12 next season?
Yes
21%
 21%  [ 9 ]
No
78%
 78%  [ 32 ]
Total Votes : 41

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 06/12/14 2:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have a feeling Kailee and Kaylee Johnson are going to be known simply as I and Y.

TheWildJacko

PostPosted: 06/12/14 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
I have a feeling Kailee and Kaylee Johnson are going to be known simply as I and Y.

or possibly (collectively) as AI? I think I recall one of their names being pronounced "Aye" and the other being pronounced "A" as in day.

ClayK

PostPosted: 06/12/14 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

McCall, I think, is the key. Many are impressed by her and feel she will be very good -- when I've seen her, I haven't been that dazzled, but she certainly could replace all that Ruef brought, and maybe add more.

But replacing Ruef isn't the issue; replacing the No. 1 pick in the WNBA draft is the issue, and there's no evidence that anyone on the Stanford roster can approach her at either end of the floor. Of course, the Johnsons or someone could suddenly blossom and turn into 15 point scorers and double-double machines, and that would be enough, given Orrange and Thompson.

On top of that, there's really no proven team in the Pac-12 either, so the door is just as wide open for Stanford as for anyone else.

Still, I would be more surprised if Stanford finished first than third, or even fourth.

PostPosted: 06/14/14 8:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Arizona will be better because of three players.Taryn Griffey a lead guard.Farrah Bell a transfer from Smu a 6 ft guard that will provide perimeter scoring.Jalea Bennett a forward that will play aggressive and hard nose defense.That will give them some toughness.

ClayK

PostPosted: 06/14/14 11:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

allenleavell wrote:
Arizona will be better because of three players.Taryn Griffey a lead guard.Farrah Bell a transfer from Smu a 6 ft guard that will provide perimeter scoring.Jalea Bennett a forward that will play aggressive and hard nose defense.That will give them some toughness.

Niya Butts has a long way to go to prove she can coach at this level. But maybe this is the year she makes it happen ...

PostPosted: 06/14/14 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
sammieee wrote:

Jordin Canada is very good, but she's not Diamond DeShields. I don't see UCLA pulling a UNC next year and becoming a Top 10 team like UNC did. Plus UNC had Gray and Mavunga. Haven't seen Caldwell, but Drummer is not better than Mavunga.

Given who UCLA has coming back from this year's team and from injury, I don't think they will need to be dependent on the freshmen was North Carolina was. So I don't think it's a good comparison, because if UCLA becomes a top 10 team I think it will be because of their returning players not freshmen.

Eh, UCLA loses a lot in Lemberger and Nyingifa. Fields has the tools to be a stud, but both Karver, Swain, and Gardner are coming off of major injuries. It usually takes a player a while (up to a year) after injury to be back to normal. Remember, UNC had Xylina McDaniel, the leading scorer the prior year back as well, and she ended up being the 4th best player on the team.

I do think Fields will be the best player (and possible P12 POY) but for them to win the P12, Canada and Drummer (especially Drummer in the post), will have to be impact freshman. Now, in 2 years, I think they can a F4 team.

mikeyc22

PostPosted: 06/14/14 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If I recall correctly, I remember Johnson playing significant minutes in the regular season against UConn, but do not remember her touching the floor against them in the Final Four. Anyone have insight on this?

CompSci87

PostPosted: 06/14/14 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Johnson had some injuries during the season, including a broken nose. She seemed tentative after the broken nose. Early in the season some of Stanford's 3's were injured or just coming off injury, so Johnson got minutes there.

Hopefully she'll make the big improvement between frosh and soph years that players often do.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/14/14 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:

Given who UCLA has coming back from this year's team and from injury, I don't think they will need to be dependent on the freshmen was North Carolina was. So I don't think it's a good comparison, because if UCLA becomes a top 10 team I think it will be because of their returning players not freshmen.

UNC had McDaniel, Rountree, and others returning from a team that was top 20 the previous year. They had better talent returning than UCLA does. If the freshmen don't take over the same way UNC's did, then UCLA will just be mediocre middle of the pack again.

UCLA will only be as good as the freshmen turn out to be.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 06/14/14 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm interested in seeing what Washington State puts on the floor this year. I like the Tia Lia show and the team beat USC on the road and lost in OT to Cal. Consistency wasn't there at all. The recruiting class focused on bringing in some size. If some of that can develop, they won't win the Pac but they could make things interesting.

GEF34

PostPosted: 06/16/14 4:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sammieee wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
sammieee wrote:

Jordin Canada is very good, but she's not Diamond DeShields. I don't see UCLA pulling a UNC next year and becoming a Top 10 team like UNC did. Plus UNC had Gray and Mavunga. Haven't seen Caldwell, but Drummer is not better than Mavunga.

Eh, UCLA loses a lot in Lemberger and Nyingifa. Fields has the tools to be a stud, but both Karver, Swain, and Gardner are coming off of major injuries. It usually takes a player a while (up to a year) after injury to be back to normal. Remember, UNC had Xylina McDaniel, the leading scorer the prior year back as well, and she ended up being the 4th best player on the team.

I do think Fields will be the best player (and possible P12 POY) but for them to win the P12, Canada and Drummer (especially Drummer in the post), will have to be impact freshman. Now, in 2 years, I think they can a F4 team.

When the 2014-2015 season starts it will be 13-14 months since Kari Korver and Kacy Swain were injured. And Rhema Gardner has already announced she is not returning to the team as a player. So I'm not exactly sure of the point you are trying to make. Kari Korver is also one of the captains and her leadership will be a key to the success of UCLA this season.

Last edited by GEF34 on 06/16/14 5:18 am; edited 1 time in total
GEF34

PostPosted: 06/16/14 4:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Edited: Nevermind

TangoIV

PostPosted: 06/22/14 1:29 pm    ::: SC next year Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I have been dubious about Jillian Alleyne because of the Westhead system, but then I did some figuring:

Chiney Ogwumike took 17 shots every 32 minutes and generated 1.4 points per shot (free throws included). She also got 15.5% of the available rebounds.

When I ran the numbers for Alleyne, I was thinking her counting stats would not reflect her value, but as is often the case, I was wrong.

Alleyne took 14.4 shots per 32 minutes, and generated 1.5 points per shot. And she got 17% of the available rebounds.

Now I'm not claiming Alleyne is better than Ogwumike, but I was surprised to see that her rate stats were better (lots of possible reasons), and that makes me feel her pro potential might be higher than expected.

Of course, we'll see how she adjust to Kelly Graves and a brand new system, but I'm certainly more optimistic than I was.

TangoIV

PostPosted: 06/22/14 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SC loses Harberts but returns 4/5 of the starters from last season including their leading scorer Crook. Cassie developed more in one year under Cynthia than she had in her prior three years under Michael Cooper. You saw some of that same growth and development in many of the other players--Crook, AlexyV, Kiki and Barrett last year as well. Fans are looking forward to seeing even more growth in all of the players this next year. Cynthia came in and immediately changed the program which caused the normal bumps and ruffling of feathers . But their is nothing like winning and everyone is now fully on board with the new direction and the new culture of "Fighting On" has taken hold.

Cynthia will be entering her second year with essentially the same team, less Cassie, that she had last year when she finished 22-10 and won the PAC 12 Tournament Championship for the first time in school history. Their loss in the 1st round of the NCAA to SJU will serve as a constant reminder this season of what they need to do to compete and win at the national level.

In addition to the freshmen coming in, Lloyd, the transfer from Va Tech becomes eligible, (redshirt sophomore) and adds depth to an already strong bench. SC will have four McDonald All-Americans in their starting rotation--Horn, Crook, AlexyV and Jordan Adams. The key will be the development and play of Jordan Adams, now going into her redshirt sophomore year.

The much needed change in the coaching staff and the addition of Beth Burns strengthens SC's coaching staff to a level they have not had in years. All of these change puts SC just where they want to be-- healthy, fit and way below everyone's radar screen!

ClayK

PostPosted: 06/22/14 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TangoIV wrote:
SC loses Harberts but returns 4/5 of the starters from last season including their leading scorer Crook. Cassie developed more in one year under Cynthia than she had in her prior three years under Michael Cooper. You saw some of that same growth and development in many of the other players--Crook, AlexyV, Kiki and Barrett last year as well. Fans are looking forward to seeing even more growth in all of the players this next year. Cynthia came in and immediately changed the program which caused the normal bumps and ruffling of feathers . But their is nothing like winning and everyone is now fully on board with the new direction and the new culture of "Fighting On" has taken hold.

Cynthia will be entering her second year with essentially the same team, less Cassie, that she had last year when she finished 22-10 and won the PAC 12 Tournament Championship for the first time in school history. Their loss in the 1st round of the NCAA to SJU will serve as a constant reminder this season of what they need to do to compete and win at the national level.

In addition to the freshmen coming in, Lloyd, the transfer from Va Tech becomes eligible, (redshirt sophomore) and adds depth to an already strong bench. SC will have four McDonald All-Americans in their starting rotation--Horn, Crook, AlexyV and Jordan Adams. The key will be the development and play of Jordan Adams, now going into her redshirt sophomore year.

The much needed change in the coaching staff and the addition of Beth Burns strengthens SC's coaching staff to a level they have not had in years. All of these change puts SC just where they want to be-- healthy, fit and way below everyone's radar screen!

An excellent summary ... especially the point about Jordan Adams. She was very, very good as a high school and club player but has never played at that level in college. If she finally does, USC is definitely one of the top teams in the Pac-12.

PostPosted: 06/23/14 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TangoIV wrote:

Crook, Barratt, Jaco, Alofaituli, and Lloyd are your top guards/wings which should be solid for any Pac12 team. I heard good stuff about Lloyd when she arrived at USC last year so lets see what she can do.

Horn and Adams didnt produce big numbers, nor did they play a lot of minutes. Vaioletama is the only proven player in the paint and although I love her game she did benefit by Harberts often being double teamed. Unless the two new bigs, Simon and Okonkwo, are instant producers USC is a team of guards and wings.

Adams minutes per game dropped from the OOC(26 mpg) games to the Pac12 conference and tournament games(16 mpg). I dont think she is a favorite of the coach. Although, that can change. Adams does make good assists but I think her shooting results affected her game, mentally, that if she missed a shot she often got yanked from the game. Adams is a much better athlete than most think and she needs to be taking the ball to the hoop more, than outside shooting, IMO.

Same goes for Horn. She played over 20 minutes in a game, once last season. She averaged 11mpg for the season. In the Pac12 tournament she played a total of 23 minutes in all 4 games. I dont think she is a favorite of the coach either. She didnt look anything like what one might expect a McDonalds AA would be. However she did have two knee operations, so speed and moves could have been affected. I am guessing she plays more next season, but more out of need as I dont think the WOT have other experienced alternatives inside that they will use.

As for the coaches, Inspiration, Determination, Perspiration, and Intimidation can only get you so far. Using certain language on the bench, and I did sit behind the bench last season for many games, doesnt score points with the players, families, fans or future recruits. Some basic basketball "X" and "O's" in the time out huddles might help. I rarely saw that last season.

Although this isnt directly related to the 2014-15 season, USC has not got a verbal for the 2015 season, at least none that I have heard of or are ranked by any of the services. Pretty much all of the top California players are gone. Per Prospects Nations rankings USC has none. UCLA has 2 Top 25 players(after the top recruiting class for 2014). Cal has a #39 and #61(and Cal has 2 top recruits coming in this year). UW has a #40, Colo has a #42, OSU has a #73 and ASU has a #83. I guess "better late than never" is a possible statement.......as long as it is the former and not the latter.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 06/23/14 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Graves and the DUcks will go through crowing pains this season so I don't see a vast improvement in the team's record although they may be more competitive. He's going to bring a fundamentally different focus to this team on both sides of the ball. It will be different from Paul Ball not because Graves doesn't like to push tempo, his teams will do that, but they're going to emphasize quality of shot selection not quantity. Bargain not barrage. Rowe and Loper are not going to be putting up almost 600 3 pt attempts between them.

Graves is bringing in three players with him, two of which will be eligible immediately. Lexi Bando is a Eugene kid who was going to be a Zag but asked for a release when Kelly became a Duck. Also, 5th year senior point guard Danielle Walters transferrd from Spokane but because she has her degree, she is able to play immediately. She was a back up to Jazmine Redmond and Haiden Plamer in the point during her time at Gonzaga so she knows Graves system. His biggest challenge might not even be on the offensive side of the ball because he's going to have to teach the Ducks to play defense....something they rarely tried to do.

Dennis1361

PostPosted: 07/01/14 12:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A team does not replace an Ogwumike, and that is simply not the question. The question is how will Tara restructure the team to take advantage of the talent she does have. It will be a different team. Maybe they will not run the triangle. One thing is for sure Tara will adjust. She hasn't won 900+ games by following the lamentation of fans.

Relax and enjoy the season because you are just an injury away from going nowhere

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: