RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

USC to offer 4-year scholarships
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GEF34

PostPosted: 06/27/14 1:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ball4life wrote:
Okay got some more clarification. It is not every sport it is Women's and I believe Men's basketball. The signing letter lists each school year separately for 4 years. Currently there is one player that is on scholarship that decided after her freshman year that she didn't want to play because of lack of playing time and she hasn't played for 2 years lives in the paid women's basketball townhouses. Another basketball player decided after her freshman year that she wanted to concentrate on her academics (pre law I believe) and didn't play for 3 years she just graduated. This is at Richmond, I am trying to remember the other school I hear that does this. Sounded like the each 1 year scholarship is given at the time of signing.

This is very confusing, did they no longer have any affiliation with the basketball team after they stopped playing. I know some former players who were able to keep there scholarships after deciding to stop playing, but they still worked with the team in some way.

Of course there are a lot of NCAA rules that are a bit odd, and there could be something that if they agree to not play competitively anymore (which is part of what an athlete had to do when claiming a career ending injury) so they can keep their scholarship. As was mentioned earlier career ending injury scholarships don't count toward the team scholarship numbers.

beknighted

PostPosted: 06/27/14 6:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
beknighted wrote:
ClayK wrote:
There are more than a few players whose goal is to get a scholarship, and then once they reach college, they kick back, basketball-wise, and focus on getting their degree.

Of that group, many are simply burned out from playing year-round since age 11, and others just don't like the basketball program (sometimes even if they play a lot). But it's a job, after all -- that scholarship is worth quite a bit -- so they punch the clock at practice and offseason workouts.

This, of course, is the flip side of colleges taking advantage of student-athletes. The system can be gamed by both groups, but obviously the colleges have the ability to do more. As pointed out, a focused coach can certainly run a single young woman (or two) off the team with sustained physical and mental pressure that does not qualify as abuse in any sense of the word.

There was a guy in my high school who was a really good football player, and also pretty smart and, frankly, poor. He got into Princeton, hurt his knee during preseason practice, and quit the team. Of course, Princeton doesn't award athletic scholarships, so he kept his full ride all the way through college. (Like I said, pretty smart.) Not quite the same situation, of course, but analogous.

And, yes, the exception rather than the rule.

I'm not quite sure I understand the analogy, because since it wasn't an athletic scholarship wouldn't he not need to be an athlete to receive the scholarship in the first place.

I didn't make this clear, but it was evident that he got admitted to Princeton in large part because of his football skills. Once he got there, he didn't ever play, even after his injury was healed. As I said, not exactly the situation described in the earlier post, but the same idea.

GEF34

PostPosted: 06/27/14 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
beknighted wrote:
ClayK wrote:
There are more than a few players whose goal is to get a scholarship, and then once they reach college, they kick back, basketball-wise, and focus on getting their degree.

Of that group, many are simply burned out from playing year-round since age 11, and others just don't like the basketball program (sometimes even if they play a lot). But it's a job, after all -- that scholarship is worth quite a bit -- so they punch the clock at practice and offseason workouts.

This, of course, is the flip side of colleges taking advantage of student-athletes. The system can be gamed by both groups, but obviously the colleges have the ability to do more. As pointed out, a focused coach can certainly run a single young woman (or two) off the team with sustained physical and mental pressure that does not qualify as abuse in any sense of the word.

There was a guy in my high school who was a really good football player, and also pretty smart and, frankly, poor. He got into Princeton, hurt his knee during preseason practice, and quit the team. Of course, Princeton doesn't award athletic scholarships, so he kept his full ride all the way through college. (Like I said, pretty smart.) Not quite the same situation, of course, but analogous.

And, yes, the exception rather than the rule.

I'm not quite sure I understand the analogy, because since it wasn't an athletic scholarship wouldn't he not need to be an athlete to receive the scholarship in the first place.

I didn't make this clear, but it was evident that he got admitted to Princeton in large part because of his football skills. Once he got there, he didn't ever play, even after his injury was healed. As I said, not exactly the situation described in the earlier post, but the same idea.

Oh ok, that makes more sense now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: