RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WHo you got? Who will win the 2014 ACC?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will Win the acc in 2014?
Boston College
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Clemson
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Duke
9%
 9%  [ 3 ]
Florida State
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Georgia Tech
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Louisville
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Miami
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
NC State
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
North Carolina
16%
 16%  [ 5 ]
Notre Dame
58%
 58%  [ 18 ]
Pittsburgh
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Syracuse
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Virginia
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Virginia Tech
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Wake Forest
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 31

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 06/22/14 10:04 am    ::: WHo you got? Who will win the 2014 ACC? Reply Reply with quote

Thoughts on the ACC race next year?

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 06/22/14 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like Notre Dame to run the table. The have Loyd back and a bunch of guards who do well in Muffet's system of open looks and knocking them down. There is potential for exciting post play with Reimer returning and Turner on the team.

I think even with DeShields, Carolina would be hardpressed to stop UNC. Mavjnga and McDaniels down low will continue to be a tough match-up and Washington, Coleman, and Gray loom large on perimeter.

Walz will have Louisville in the picture despite what they lost to graduation. THere is a solid core in Smith, Jude Schimmel, and Hammond but frosh will have to step it up as well.

Duke could be in for a long season if Alexis Jones red shirts or isn't in top form. It would likely mean that Ka'lia johnson and true frosh Sierra Calhoun run the point.

Florida State is a team that could get hot. ALl the transfers are now eligible and they have experience in starters Brittany Brown, Morgan Jones, and Ivey Slaughter. AA prep ShaKayla Thomas could be the big threat on this team.

Syracuse backcourt of Sykes and Butler could be very exciting. They need some low post rebounding to really be a contender with the big wigs.

Georgia Tech has Kaela Davis which is solid but only 5 other returners and a huge frosh class. Lots of transfers out of Coach Jo's program.

ridor

PostPosted: 06/23/14 3:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it is easy to divide 3 ACC groups into Top, Middle and Bottom.

TOP:
Notre Dame
North Carolina
Duke
Louisville

These 4 teams are a notch above the rest of the ACC teams, IMO. I think it is possible that they may lose 1 or 2 games to each other or to some teams in the middle but certainly not to any teams in the bottom.

MIDDLE:
North Carolina State
Georgia Tech
Florida State
Wake Forest
Syracuse
Miami
Virginia

These teams are difficult to rank - because they have good players but who will pick up the slack and lead the team? Which one is the best of the middle? Nobody really knows.

BOTTOM:
Boston College
Clemson
Pittsburgh
Virginia Tech

Well, what can I say about them?

R-

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 06/23/14 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:

TOP:
Notre Dame
North Carolina
Duke
Louisville

These 4 teams are a notch above the rest of the ACC teams, IMO. I think it is possible that they may lose 1 or 2 games to each other or to some teams in the middle but certainly not to any teams in the bottom.

MIDDLE:
North Carolina State
Georgia Tech
Florida State
Wake Forest
Syracuse
Miami
Virginia

These teams are difficult to rank - because they have good players but who will pick up the slack and lead the team? Which one is the best of the middle? Nobody really knows.

BOTTOM:
Boston College
Clemson
Pittsburgh
Virginia Tech

R-

I think that is a respectable breakdown. I look at the bottom teams and I look at their situation. The coaching staff for those four schools are relatively new....VTechs Coach Wolff is starting his fourth year. BC and Clemsons coach I think will begin their third year and SMS will start her second year at Pitt. Coaching change has not seemed to help them find a footing with their program although, it may be too early to really accurately assess their efforts. It wasn't that long ago that Pitt was a top 25 program for a couple of years. What will it take to make them competitive again?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/23/14 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
ridor wrote:

TOP:
Notre Dame
North Carolina
Duke
Louisville

MIDDLE:
North Carolina State
Georgia Tech
Florida State
Wake Forest
Syracuse
Miami
Virginia

BOTTOM:
Boston College
Clemson
Pittsburgh
Virginia Tech

R-

I think that is a respectable breakdown. I look at the bottom teams and I look at their situation. The coaching staff for those four schools are relatively new....VTechs Coach Wolff is starting his fourth year. BC and Clemsons coach I think will begin their third year and SMS will start her second year at Pitt. Coaching change has not seemed to help them find a footing with their program although, it may be too early to really accurately assess their efforts. It wasn't that long ago that Pitt was a top 25 program for a couple of years. What will it take to make them competitive again?

I think Pitt is definitely improving. Remember, they were 0-whatever in their last two years in BE conference play. They were a lot better than that last year. And they have better players coming in. They're not going to move very far up the ladder right away, but they won't be last.

I do think these groupings significantly undervalue Syracuse and FSU, which I think will be competitive with Louisville, and significantly better than Wake, UVA, and Miami.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: