RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Rate Holly Warlick as a Coach
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How good a coach is Holly Warlick?
One of the best
11%
 11%  [ 6 ]
Above average
37%
 37%  [ 20 ]
Average
41%
 41%  [ 22 ]
Below average
9%
 9%  [ 5 ]
Poor
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 53

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/16/14 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As I said I don't know enough about him to draw any conclusions (Although I do note that all of the cited harrasment complaints seem to be in the context of people getting fired, a not uncommon response by lawyers. I'd like to see complaints by some people wihout other axes to grind.)

But I don't see eliminating "Lady Vols" as necessarily an assault on women's sports. I understand such changes can upset some longtime fans, but frankly those changes are made places for the opposite reason, to make a statement that they treat and respect all of their athletes the same. I don't know what Hart's motives might be. But it's easy for people who for other reasons don't like him to latch onto that as some sign that he's anti-women when that might have nothing to do with it.

linkster

PostPosted: 06/16/14 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm still hoping someone can fill me in on "evil" Dave Hart and why he's trying to destroy women's sports at Tennesse
e.

I was a subscriber on the Summitt during the Summitt retirement period. The fanbase was still in shock over Pat's announcement and since they couldn't blame it on Geno they needed another to whip and Hart was available.

The leaders of the lynch mob were those with direct ties to the now-defunct Women's Athletic Dept at Tenn. Hart was eliminating costs and Tenn was one of the few schools with a separate Dept. for women with it's predictable duplication of functions. It was obviously done for financial reasons but it was seen by those who worked there as an attack on Pat's legacy and against women's athletics at Tenn. I've seen the same thing happen in other organizations which reorganize. The "outs" see it as a conspiracy against them by evil-doers.

The LV logo is the last symbol that is exclusive to women's athletics. I am sure that the plan to eliminate it is driven by $$$, much like UConn's recent logo. Fans run out and buy new stuff. But at Tenn it was seen as heresy.

bekcat1

PostPosted: 06/16/14 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
As I said I don't know enough about him to draw any conclusions (Although I do note that all of the cited harrasment complaints seem to be in the context of people getting fired, a not uncommon response by lawyers. I'd like to see complaints by some people wihout other axes to grind.)

But I don't see eliminating "Lady Vols" as necessarily an assault on women's sports. I understand such changes can upset some longtime fans, but frankly those changes are made places for the opposite reason, to make a statement that they treat and respect all of their athletes the same. I don't know what Hart's motives might be. But it's easy for people who for other reasons don't like him to latch onto that as some sign that he's anti-women when that might have nothing to do with it.

The Lady Vol logo may not mean much to some, but it is a brand...a trademarked brand. It represents much more than a basketball team or a softball team or any other women's athletic team at Tennessee. It represents excellence and pride in every aspect of these student athletes' lives. And it represents the legend who created it...Pat Summitt. It's not an assault, it's an insult to what these programs have become to replace the logo.

Not to mention it does generate revenue. Have you seen how many fans all over the country that wear the gear to Lady Vol games? To WNBA away games for the Sparks or the Fever?

Hart says he has no intention of removing the logo. We'll see about that. But if he does, there will definitely be a groundswell of loud opposition he won't want to be associated with.

ClayK

PostPosted: 06/17/14 9:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So basically, Hart was accused by one coach at FSU of some kind of sexual harassment, or bias against women's sports. A negative, certainly.

He worked at Alabama, which had a below-par facility before he arrived and wasn't changed while he was there.

Unless I'm mistaken, he was given the job of merging the men's and women's athletic departments (it was not his decision), and did so. Not surprisingly, some employees on the women's side were upset with the change, and he didn't make any friends while doing it.

He's talked about, or actually gotten rid of, "Lady Vols," which I happen to be in favor of. I think Lady anything is demeaning, and I refuse to let announcers call my high school teams by that diminutive. We are the Dons or Cougars or Phoenix and we represent the school in the same way every other athletic team does. If the football team is the Gentlemen Cougars, then I have no issues, but obviously that doesn't happen.

Now, the Lady Vols is obviously a different case, having sprung out of a more gender-biased past, and then elevated to an identity. Still, my feeling is it's time to move on from that kind of implicit sexism and treat athletes as athletes, regardless of gender. I can understand how that would upset people, but that doesn't seem like destroying women's sports.

Perhaps there's more evidence that Hart's goal is to downgrade women's sports to simply background noise, but so far, what's been presented doesn't seem to be that strong a case. The underlying issue seems to be the combining of the two athletic departments, plus the decline of Pat Summitt's program from the best in the country to one of the best. And apparently, he's not considered a very nice guy.

PostPosted: 06/17/14 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
So basically, Hart was accused by one coach at FSU of some kind of sexual harassment, or bias against women's sports. A negative, certainly.

He worked at Alabama, which had a below-par facility before he arrived and wasn't changed while he was there.

Unless I'm mistaken, he was given the job of merging the men's and women's athletic departments (it was not his decision), and did so. Not surprisingly, some employees on the women's side were upset with the change, and he didn't make any friends while doing it.

He's talked about, or actually gotten rid of, "Lady Vols," which I happen to be in favor of. I think Lady anything is demeaning, and I refuse to let announcers call my high school teams by that diminutive. We are the Dons or Cougars or Phoenix and we represent the school in the same way every other athletic team does. If the football team is the Gentlemen Cougars, then I have no issues, but obviously that doesn't happen.

Now, the Lady Vols is obviously a different case, having sprung out of a more gender-biased past, and then elevated to an identity. Still, my feeling is it's time to move on from that kind of implicit sexism and treat athletes as athletes, regardless of gender. I can understand how that would upset people, but that doesn't seem like destroying women's sports.

Perhaps there's more evidence that Hart's goal is to downgrade women's sports to simply background noise, but so far, what's been presented doesn't seem to be that strong a case. The underlying issue seems to be the combining of the two athletic departments, plus the decline of Pat Summitt's program from the best in the country to one of the best. And apparently, he's not considered a very nice guy.

I'm curious about the genesis of the "Lady Volunteers" moniker. The UT website said it was created in 1976. So what were women's teams at Tennessee called for all the years before '76? (They were playing basketball at least since 1960; I assume there were other Tennessee women's sports as well.) Were they just the "Tennessee Volunteers"?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 06/17/14 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

I'm curious about the genesis of the "Lady Volunteers" moniker. The UT website said it was created in 1976. So what were women's teams at Tennessee called for all the years before '76? (They were playing basketball at least since 1960; I assume there were other Tennessee women's sports as well.) Were they just the "Tennessee Volunteers"?

Would you believe "Volettes"? <gag> One thing Pat got changed in a hurry, with the help of her early teams. "Lady Vols" only became *official* in 1976; it was already in use.

PostPosted: 06/17/14 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think its too early to really evaluate Warlick's progress. I like the criteria that Glenn sets up for analyzing Warlick's tenure as head coach but the problem I have is because of Warlick's long association with the program, I don't know to what degree she had an impact on some of these areas while still an assistant coach as to what degree she had an impact as a head coach. For example, Tennessee backcourt players don't seem to develop the skills to dominate at the next level. To what degree was Warlick responsible for this development as an assistant coach. Was she in a position to further develop these skills. And now that she has full reign of the program, can she change that? I need more time to observe the product currently that is put on the floor.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/17/14 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
And now that she has full reign of the program, can she change that? I need more time to observe the product currently that is put on the floor.

The first question may be whether this assumption is correct.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: