RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

A'ja Wilson commits to South Carolina
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kool-aide

PostPosted: 04/23/14 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
had accepted being 5-11, they would have worked more on perimeter skills and maybe been more prepared for the next level.

I don't see how "accepting" a specific height automatically translating into the second part of your sentence. Even if you truly believe [which I don't] that their self-view/value as a player was based on a team listed height rather than the success they had at their actual height & position.

And a lot of times it isn't "kids lying" it is coaches or teams inflating the roster. But even if it is kids lying, that number isn't what holds them back from changing their skill set or whatever.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 04/23/14 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

kool-aide wrote:
ClayK wrote:
had accepted being 5-11, they would have worked more on perimeter skills and maybe been more prepared for the next level.

I don't see how "accepting" a specific height automatically translating into the second part of your sentence. Even if you truly believe [which I don't] that their self-view/value as a player was based on a team listed height rather than the success they had at their actual height & position.

And a lot of times it isn't "kids lying" it is coaches or teams inflating the roster. But even if it is kids lying, that number isn't what holds them back from changing their skill set or whatever.

Going back to my early days, I remember it being done all the time on the men's side if not for anything to get that supposed psychological advantage. Calvin Murphy who came from my home state was listed at 5'11" as a senior in high school. Not even close.

And you are right, it is not the kid but the coach or even the parents. (Roscoe Wilson said that A'ja was 6'6") The student will attract more attention being 6'2" than 5'11" being tabbed as an interior player unless they have a truly exceptional skill set like Maya Moore who at 6'0"(supposedly) got lots and lots of attention from everyone.

So the more attention they get, the greater the possibility of being scouted and thus being awarded a scholarship.

PostPosted: 04/23/14 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

kool-aide wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Not entirely true. In all sports, kids early on get slotted into certain roles because of their size. They get assigned to certain positions based on size, they learn that position, they don't get a chance at other positions, and that's where they stay. It's the exception rather than the rule to break out of that role and the stereotype.

Eddie George may be one of the most famous examples. He was 6'3". The stereotype was that was too tall to be a good running back. He grew up always wanting to go to Penn State. Paterno (and many other schools) recruited him but only as a linebacker because they told him he was too tall to be a running back. He wanted to be a running back, and Ohio St said they'd give him a chance there. He went on to win the Heisman Trophy. The stereotype that there are "no good tall running backs" continues as a self-fulfilling prophesy to this day though because most good players who are tall get moved to LB or some other position way back in junior high school and never get a chance at RB because that's the conventional wisdom.

Basketball isn't much different. Kids get slotted by coaches into certain roles and positions early on because of their height, that's what they get trained for, that's what they practice, that's what they are identified as, and it follows them because that's what they become. It's hard to break out of that "conventional wisdom."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: