RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Terri Mitchell out as Marquette women's basketball coach
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StevenHW

PostPosted: 04/10/14 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:
Any ideas for her replacement?

Perhaps one of the two assistants who were recently let go at Kentucky? Jeff House and a female coach named Pillow?

markinct

PostPosted: 04/10/14 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DOes anyone know what aspirations are for Shea Ralph and Marissa Mosley from UConn? I don't know ANYTHING about coaching so not sure if they are considered too novice for movement yet. I know Jamelle and Tonya have moved on with limited success...Does either of them have aspirations of a head coaching job? You guys always seem to be in the know.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/10/14 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
bullsky wrote:

Perhaps one of the two assistants who were recently let go at Kentucky? Jeff House and a female coach named Pillow?

I've been acquainted with Shalon Pillow for quite a few years. I just don't think she has the stuff for a head coaching job, at least not a big time one and not yet. Jeff House I know nothing of.

PostPosted: 04/10/14 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
StevenHW wrote:
bullsky wrote:

I've been acquainted with Shalon Pillow for quite a few years. I just don't think she has the stuff for a head coaching job, at least not a big time one and not yet. Jeff House I know nothing of.
If Tyler Summitt can get a head coaching job than any assistant coach can get a Head Coaching job. Twenty-three years old with two years experience. Laughing

PostPosted: 04/10/14 10:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coach G!

PostPosted: 04/11/14 8:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

with an interim AD at Marquette, i am not sure they will get a big name head coach or a big time assistant coachmost Div. I coaches want to be hired by an AD they will be working with and not an interimmaybe a big name head coach who is desperate the coach would take the jobbut coaching in an urban setting is also harder to find that coachMU is not a great destination for women's basketball.

i would also think they will look for a like-minded coach as MU is a Catholic based faith institution.

i live in the Milwaukee area and you have to search the paper to find the article on her firingthe program was never really covered at all during Terri's yearsMU only cares about men's basketballthat is also why she lasted so long at MU, even though she did not have great success in the Big East.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 04/11/14 8:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snzuluz wrote:
with an interim AD at Marquette, i am not sure they will get a big name head coach or a big time assistant coachmost Div. I coaches want to be hired by an AD they will be working with and not an interimmaybe a big name head coach who is desperate the coach would take the jobbut coaching in an urban setting is also harder to find that coachMU is not a great destination for women's basketball.

i would also think they will look for a like-minded coach as MU is a Catholic based faith institution.

i live in the Milwaukee area and you have to search the paper to find the article on her firingthe program was never really covered at all during Terri's yearsMU only cares about men's basketballthat is also why she lasted so long at MU, even though she did not have great success in the Big East.
If the paycheck is proper there will be interested candidates from coast to coast that want that job. I believe Mitchell was earning well over $200,000 dollars per year. Plus assistant coaches can always use Marquette as a stepping stone to get another Head coaching job.

PostPosted: 04/11/14 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
I believe Mitchell was earning well over $200,000 dollars per year. Plus assistant coaches can always use Marquette as a stepping stone to get another Head coaching job.

Way more than that. As of 2012:

Quote:
Thats probably why Marquette pays mens basketball head coach Buzz Williams and womens basketball head coach Terri Mitchell the big bucks. Williams base salary of $1,070,125 makes him Marquettes highest paid employee. Mitchell is the universitys second-highest paid employee with a $427,957 base salary, according to Marquettes 2011 990 IRS Tax Form.

Source: http://marquettewire.org/2012/10/16/tribune/tribune-news/coach-salaries-gender-gap-in-coach-salaries-not-limited-to-mu/

This is a really good job IMO where an established coach has a great chance to quickly elevate this program to the top of the new Big East. I'll be very interested to see where they go will this hire.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/11/14 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
Please,please,please Marquette hire Niele Ivey! I promise to become a season ticket holder and buy front row seats! Very Happy

NO!!!!!!!!!!!! She's a ND girl and nobody else can have her. Smile

She has been in her cocoon long enough. It is time for her to come out and spread her wings and FLY! Very Happy

Something that people need to keep in mind is that Niele has a 12 year old son to consider. Would she want to take on a head coaching position as a single mom? At a new school, in a new town? I'm not saying that she can't do it or shouldn't be allowed to try, just asking, would she want to?

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 04/11/14 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Matt5762 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
I believe Mitchell was earning well over $200,000 dollars per year. Plus assistant coaches can always use Marquette as a stepping stone to get another Head coaching job.

Quote:
Thats probably why Marquette pays mens basketball head coach Buzz Williams and womens basketball head coach Terri Mitchell the big bucks. Williams base salary of $1,070,125 makes him Marquettes highest paid employee. Mitchell is the universitys second-highest paid employee with a $427,957 base salary, according to Marquettes 2011 990 IRS Tax Form.

Source: http://marquettewire.org/2012/10/16/tribune/tribune-news/coach-salaries-gender-gap-in-coach-salaries-not-limited-to-mu/

This is a really good job IMO where an established coach has a great chance to quickly elevate this program to the top of the new Big East. I'll be very interested to see where they go will this hire.

But that's after she was coaching at Marquette for 18 years. I have no idea what they are willing to pay a new coach coming in now.

And it's only been 2 days and I'm already going a little crazy b/c I have no idea who any likely candidates for the job might be.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 04/12/14 1:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Matt5762 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

Quote:

You took the point that I was making to a higher level with that information. If the paper is proper they will come. Very Happy

PostPosted: 04/16/14 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not surprisingly I haven't been able to find any information on coaching candidates for Marquette. Has anyone out there seen or heard anything? I know there are people out there more connected than me Smile and there are probably other websites/message boards to check that I am not aware of.

Howee

PostPosted: 04/16/14 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
Not surprisingly I haven't been able to find any information on coaching candidates for Marquette. Has anyone out there seen or heard anything? I know there are people out there more connected than me Smile and there are probably other websites/message boards to check that I am not aware of.

Just hope (HARD!) that Deb Patterson from K-State doesn't appear on anybody's radar screen up there in Milwaukee. Shocked

PostPosted: 04/21/14 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And there's finally something about the coaching search in the local media but not one word about any candidates they are looking at - ugh!!!

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/256052641.html

I really don't think I'm going to hear about any candidates - I'll just find out who at least one candidate was when they announce the new hire.

I did find out one thing from the article - former Men's assistant Jerry Wainwright is 'caretaking' the program for now - I kind of wondered about that since the Marquette website had removed all the coaches already indicating all were gone.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 04/28/14 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And one week after the blog post was made saying they were close to hiring someone, there has been no hire made and not one word about any potential candidate(s). I'm beyond banging my head against the wall about it at this point - ugh!!!

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/28/14 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm curious ... does the Sports Information Department at Marquette send out releases on the search, or are they just pretending it isn't happening?

PostPosted: 04/28/14 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I'm curious ... does the Sports Information Department at Marquette send out releases on the search, or are they just pretending it isn't happening?

I don't know of any releases on the search but I'm also just a fan and not a member of the media. The only thing I've seen about the coaching search was the blog entry saying they would likely hire a coach last week with no mention of any coaching candidates whatsoever. That didn't surprise me at all as there is no media coverage of the team - the blog entry was written by the MU men's beat reporter who I'm sure knows nothing about the Women's team. If the athletic department doesn't want to talk about something with the Women's team, they really don't have to since there is no media to question them about things.

If there was media coverage of the team, I think there would have been more written about why Mitchell was fired and especially why now. Something doesn't add up here and I'm not feeling very confident about this whole coaching search to begin with. And the fact that I cannot find one single candidate they have talked to makes me feel even worse.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 05/01/14 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They are announcing the new coach at 2P central today. I still have absolutely no idea who they even considered - ugh!

Press conference will be available on line:
http://www.gomarquette.com/allaccess/?media=445956

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 05/01/14 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Reading on wbballhooopscoop that Toledo's Tricia Cullop turned down the job last week and that former MU player and current Miami assistant Carolyn Kieger has taken the job. I guess I will know soon enough...

dfineguy

PostPosted: 05/01/14 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As an impartial observer with no ties to UM other than a couple of acquaintances who have their degrees from Marquette, something feels very right about Kieger. Alum, PG as a player and former DOBO for 1 season at Marquette before returning to Miami. To me that indicates some familiarity with the admin process which some assistants don't have coming in. I'll be watching. Cool

Last edited by dfineguy on 05/01/14 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 05/01/14 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It does say something though that Cullop wouldn't leave Toledo (MAC) for Marquette (Big East)...kind of surprising.

dfineguy

PostPosted: 05/01/14 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
It does say something though that Cullop wouldn't leave Toledo (MAC) for Marquette (Big East)...kind of surprising.

I'm sure it does. BUT WHAT? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 05/01/14 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's official - it's Kieger: http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/carolyn_kieger_898192.html

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 05/01/14 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:

Maybe they weren't offering enough $ - I'm guessing they weren't going to pay the new coach anywhere near what they were paying Mitchell. Or maybe there were other reasons...

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 05/01/14 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dfineguy wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

I'm sure it does. BUT WHAT? Rolling Eyes

LOL...nice rolling of the eyes. Appears as though you know everything (esp APR now that it got explained to you).

Anyway, it would seem as though being one of the top programs in the MAC is better than going to a Big East program that has a pretty good tradition. I understand Seton Hall getting shunned, but a little surprised at Marquette.

I do hope Marquette gets back to winning...I have always liked the school and the program.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: