RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Ringing the Bell at RU

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beknighted

PostPosted: 04/15/14 10:57 pm    ::: Ringing the Bell at RU Reply Reply with quote

This is one of the great Rutgers traditions - on special occasions, they ring the bell given to the university by Henry Rutgers. It's considered a great honor, and it's happened 4 times for the women's basketball team - when they won the last AIAW tournament in 1982, for the two Final Four years in 2000 and 2007, and today, for winning the WNIT.

I don't know if other schools have comparable traditions, but I must admit I've always liked this one.

Ring that bell

coffy73

PostPosted: 04/15/14 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Before this season, I normally would never pay attention to the WNIT. I was glad that Rutgers accepted the invite and decided to follow them throughout the tourney and I came away really liking this group! They fought very hard in some tough away games and I think that will carry them into next season ready to fight to get to the NCAA's.

Homyonkel

PostPosted: 04/16/14 8:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The UCONN basketball teams get a well attended parade in the capitol city.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/18/14 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Homyonkel wrote:
The UCONN basketball teams get a well attended parade in the capitol city.

Laughing

PostPosted: 04/19/14 1:49 am    ::: Re: Ringing the Bell at RU Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
This is one of the great Rutgers traditions - on special occasions, they ring the bell given to the university by Henry Rutgers. It's considered a great honor, and it's happened 4 times for the women's basketball team - when they won the last AIAW tournament in 1982, for the two Final Four years in 2000 and 2007, and today, for winning the WNIT.

I don't know if other schools have comparable traditions, but I must admit I've always liked this one.

Ring that bell

I guess Stringer is no longer a staunch opponent of the NIT...I mean for all the damning she did of the NIT for the last 4 years, she seemed to enjoy herself Wink See can teach an old dog new tricks Smile

That being said, there is the issue of that foul call in the Seton Hall game Razz

I think they get it now and I agree the team matured, In the Big 10 it will be a major step up in class, BUT SOS won't be an issue....I think they'll be in the 4-6 range in that conference, but will give some of the finesse teams (PSU, Nebraska, Iowa) headaches and will hold their own...the Big 10 (Which is 14) will be loaded but they should be in the tourney...IF stringer takes her new contract...which I think will come to the wire but will happen. How long and if she creates a succession agreement is the issue.

PostPosted: 04/19/14 7:41 am    ::: Re: Ringing the Bell at RU Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:

I guess Stringer is no longer a staunch opponent of the NIT...I mean for all the damning she did of the NIT for the last 4 years, she seemed to enjoy herself Wink See can teach an old dog new tricks Smile

That being said, there is the issue of that foul call in the Seton Hall game Razz

I think they get it now and I agree the team matured, In the Big 10 it will be a major step up in class, BUT SOS won't be an issue....I think they'll be in the 4-6 range in that conference, but will give some of the finesse teams (PSU, Nebraska, Iowa) headaches and will hold their own...the Big 10 (Which is 14) will be loaded but they should be in the tourney...IF stringer takes her new contract...which I think will come to the wire but will happen. How long and if she creates a succession agreement is the issue.

I think it's close to 100% likely that there will be an extension at this point - both she and the AD seem to want it to happen and there have been a couple of press reports about the terms.

As for playing in the WNIT, a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds. Seriously, while she's been asked about it previous years, last year was the only year when it actually mattered. (I know a lot of people thought that RU was a bubble team in 2011 and 2012, but in reality it wasn't a close call either year.) Last year, they would have been in if CVS had wanted it, and I thought they should have played, but the story was that a lot of players were hurt and honestly the team probably would have lost in the first round anyway.

On the foul, well, different people see the tape differently on that one. (And, although it didn't make a difference, against UTEP the refs somehow didn't see either Scaife getting hammered on her winning drive to the basket or Davis getting whacked on the last play of the game, so you could say it evened out. Or not.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: